• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does God Allow Suffering?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So you think it fair and just for a God to make sure nobody is capable of reaching some standard and then hold them responsible for not meeting it? If so, you have a seriously strange and idea of what's fair and just, that I just don't recognise. If not, then what? How is it possible to have a fair judgement if nobody is capable of passing the test, by design?
Hence the need for a Savior.

Look, I know I don't have all the answers (no one does) but I believe in God and I believe that He or She is perfect and just and holy, much more so than I can ever be.

Last edited:

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Hence the need for a Savior.
Yet another monstrous injustice. Since when has blood sacrifice been moral (and it wasn't even a real sacrifice since Jesus didn't stay dead, he just played the part for three days)?

Look, I know I don't have all the answers (no one does)...
I have a perfectly rational answer: there is no just and fair, omnipotent, omniscient creator God. The concept is simply incompatible with the observed evidence.

Simple.

...but I believe in God and I believe that He or She is perfect and just and holy, much more so than I can ever be.
Why?

Kathryn

Yet another monstrous injustice. Since when has blood sacrifice been moral (and it wasn't even a real sacrifice since Jesus didn't stay dead, he just played the part for three days)?

I have a perfectly rational answer: there is no just and fair, omnipotent, omniscient creator God. The concept is simply incompatible with the observed evidence.

Simple.

Why?
I'm glad you've apparently found some peace. So have I.

Kathryn

I couldn't live with the doublethink, but I guess that's me. If you're comfortable with a self-contradictory set of beliefs, then I guess that's up to you.
I don't see it that way but thanks for stuffing words I did not say and do not believe in my mouth, or as it were, in my fingers.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A kid gets cancer cuz of past lives? I can say with certainty that this is nonsense.
Then you don’t understand the laws of karma … none of us do. We have to divorce ourselves from the idea of karma having a one-for-one relationship of action and reaction. Why is a soul born into a body that will be ravaged by cancer? Who knows? Maybe five or ten lives ago it was a doctor who was indifferent to a cancer patient.

My own mother’s ob-gyn, known for being indifferent and condescending, blew her off. It turns out she had ovarian cancer. Maybe if he took her seriously the tumor could have been removed before it ruptured and metastasized into end stage.

Someone with a vengeful mindset might hope he’s reborn into a body that battles cancer for a whole lifetime. If someone had a vengeful mindset. He may very well be reborn as a cancer patient into as many lives as women he ignored.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
As long as you don't say God/dess is good, that is alright.

Ok, but was the karma system created by God/dess? If yes, why? Why not prevent all evil from happening?

But why hasn't God/dess willed for it to be a world where crap doesn't happen?

Honestly, your answers are no better than what is offered by an average abrahamic theist.
You don’t understand Hinduism, nor do you seem to want to understand, so I won’t continue to engage. If you decide to learn Hindu philosophy check out Nine Beliefs of Hinduism – Hinduism Today

Pay particular attention to these points:
1725154000312.png

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
They say there’s no stupid questions , but this has to be the dumbest question imo. Obviously, we live in an imperfect world. Does one really think a perfect world could exist? I wish suffering didn’t exist, just like the next guy.
What if good is an eldritch being that sustains itself on suffering, and thus created our world to cause and cultivate suffering for it's own nourishment?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Then you don’t understand the laws of karma … none of us do. We have to divorce ourselves from the idea of karma having a one-for-one relationship of action and reaction. Why is a soul born into a body that will be ravaged by cancer? Who knows? Maybe five or ten lives ago it was a doctor who was indifferent to a cancer patient.

My own mother’s ob-gyn, known for being indifferent and condescending, blew her off. It turns out she had ovarian cancer. Maybe if he took her seriously the tumor could have been removed before it ruptured and metastasized into end stage.

Someone with a vengeful mindset might hope he’s reborn into a body that battles cancer for a whole lifetime. If someone had a vengeful mindset. He may very well be reborn as a cancer patient into as many lives as women he ignored.
Past lives and being reborn as someone else doesn’t exist imo. We get one body in life. That’s it imo. However we do get to live the same life over and over again when the universe ends and begins when a certain man dies imo.

Last edited: