• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does God Allow Suffering?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Past lives and being reborn as someone else doesn’t exist imo. We get one body in life. That’s it imo. However we do get to live the same life over and over again when the universe ends and begins when a certain man dies.
Ok, that’s your belief. :shrug: Do you have a better explanation for “why bad things happen to good people?” Can you live with questioning and not understanding God’s motives?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Ok, that’s your belief. :shrug: Do you have a better explanation for “why bad things happen to good people?” Can you live with questioning and not understanding God’s motives?
Gods made a realistic world where kids get skinned knees. I don’t think I could do better, do you? Unfortunately sadness is a part of life. There’s really nothing beyond that, that needs explaining. Acceptance is difficult sometimes as we all know.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
So if you’re the type to blame God for suffering where has that gotten you? Does it make you feel better?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You don’t understand Hinduism, nor do you seem to want to understand, so I won’t continue to engage. If you decide to learn Hindu philosophy check out Nine Beliefs of Hinduism – Hinduism Today

Pay particular attention to these points:View attachment 96606

I understand what you have been talking about so far, thus why I say: None of those points properly deal with the problem of evil.

1) You didn't answer if karma was created by God/dess and why. Why wouldn't God/dess simply prevent all evil rather than that? Choosing to create a system that brings about suffering is not compatible with omnibenevolence (or even goodness at all).

2) Reincarnation doesn't solve the problem of evil. It just explains (If even that, because I can easily argue that the identity is lost on reincarnation) why particularly bad stuff might happen to good people if you think karma is a proper answer.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I understand what you have been talking about so far, thus why I say: None of those points properly deal with the problem of evil.

1) You didn't answer if karma was created by God/dess and why. Why wouldn't God/dess simply prevent all evil rather than that? Choosing to create a system that brings about suffering is not compatible with omnibenevolence (or even goodness at all).

2) Reincarnation doesn't solve the problem of evil. It just explains (If even that, because I can easily argue that the identity is lost on reincarnation) why particularly bad stuff might happen to good people if you think karma is a proper answer.
Without “evil” kids wouldn’t get skinned knees. Without skinned knees, there wouldn’t be any knees.

gotti

Suffering is an intrinsic part of the human condition and inseparable from life overall.

If you believe in a god, you need to accept or conceive of a context in which god actually allows suffering.

Or even promises it as a part of participating in the universe.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Sure they do, at a very superficial level. You’d do well to read this article. Problem of evil in Hinduism - Wikipedia

I have already read it in the past and like I have said: none of that solves the problem. If you want to argue anything else though you can quote anything that represents your perspective and I will show why it doesn't solve the problem. But I am definitely not gonna comment on a full wikipedia article.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have already read it in the past and like I have said: none of that solves the problem. If you want to argue anything else though you can quote anything that represents your perspective and I will show why it doesn't solve the problem. But I am definitely not gonna comment on a full wikipedia article.
I didn’t ask you to comment. I don’t care about your perspective and need to rip Hindu philosophy apart or prove it wrong. I presented it to you thinking you might be open to learning something. Clearly I’m wrong.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I didn’t ask you to comment. I don’t care about your perspective and need to rip Hindu philosophy apart or prove it wrong. I presented it to you thinking you might be open to learning something. Clearly I’m wrong.

You can not teach me what I already know.