• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God communicate ambiguously?

CynthiaCypher

In my religion God only communicates clearly to those He/She wants. Since God wants nothing to do with most people, He/She doesn't communicate with them at all.

Reactions: nrg

nrg

The archetypes of the collective unconscious frequently appear in dreams. God is the archetype of the Self, and it appears in dreams in symbolic, mythological forms.
Why does he do that? Why not just tell me flat out what he wants to say? I never trust my dreams, because they never ever make sense.

Student of X said:
It's our job to learn the vocabulary of mythological imagery because that is the primordial language of the human psyche and of God. The way we do that is by learning comparative mythology, comparative religion, comparative mysticism.
I understand that this is what's required of me, all I'm saying is that it's far more effecient to simply say what he wants in a clear, unambiguous way.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
Why does he do that? Why not just tell me flat out what he wants to say? I never trust my dreams, because they never ever make sense.

I understand that this is what's required of me, all I'm saying is that it's far more effecient to simply say what he wants in a clear, unambiguous way.

Yeah, but that's not possible. God isn't a separate entity that can have a conversation with you. That's why he is omnipotent. He is non-local.

That's why a middle-man is needed. We need a middle-man to mediate between the ego-self (the "I") and the center of the human psyche, also known as the archetype of the Self, also known as God. For tens of thousands of years that role has been filled by tribal shamans. A shaman is someone who has had their ego-self swallowed up by the unconscious and spit back out again.

Last edited:

nrg

He feels He's given you plenty of evidence to at least acknowledge His existence.
I beg to differ. And he knows everything about me, so he already knew I wouldn't be convinced by what he's presenting. Did he do a bad job creating me, since I don't understand all the evidence?

Mestemia said:
Given the vast diversity of humankind, why would you think that there would be a "one size fits all" deity?
Because human diversity is not a problem for him. He's omnipotent, he can't have problems.

bobhikes said:
If God gave us free will, god had to gift us with our own ability to understand. God couldn't make it so everything God said or did was automatically understood. If you completely understood everything how would you have free will.
So, I'm chosing to understand the laws of arithmetic? It's not something that comes from my deduction skills?

bobhikes said:
If you look through history, its education that has caused the fall from god. You are clutering your mind with worldly things and blocking out god.
But, God knew when he created me that I would love all these worldly things, that I would thank modern medicine everyday that my dad got his by-pass, that I have a house to live in and that I can solve problems I encounter with my education. Why would he create me with such an affinity for the worldly and logical if it's detrimental to our relationship?

Last edited:

james2ko

I beg to differ. And he knows everything about me, so he already knew I wouldn't be convinced by what he's presenting. Did he do a bad job creating me, since I don't understand all the evidence?

Nope. He's just waiting for the right time to help you understand it.

nrg

Yeah, but that's not possible. God isn't a separate entity that can have a conversation with you. That's why he is omnipotent. He is non-local.
But, that would still work if he can do anything.

Student of X said:
That's why a middle-man is needed. We need a middle-man to mediate between the ego-self (the "I") and the center of the human psyche, also known as the archetype of the Self, also known as God.
But, why did he choose to lay out the World this way? Why not do it in a way so that he can communicate more effectively?

Last edited:

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
But, that would still work if he can do anything.

But what if he wants to become you, and then forget that he is you so that he can play hide-and-seek with himself?

But, why did he choose to lay out the World this way? Why not do it in a way so that he can communicate more effectively?
Because it's kind of hard to make a dreamworld that you can lose yourself in if you're just going to wake everyone up right away. Where is the fun in that?

CynthiaCypher

Nope. He's just waiting for the right time to help you understand it.
Or maybe God just doesn't care enough to communicate with some people. Have you ever took into consideration that God just might not like most people and wants nothing to do with them.

james2ko

Ok, so everyone will get the help necessary to understand God's word unambiguously within due time?

Yes sir:

Hab 2:14 For the earth will be filled With the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, As the waters cover the sea.

Isa 32:3-4 The eyes of those who see will not be dim, And the ears of those who hear will listen. 4 Also the heart of the rash will understand knowledge, And the tongue of the stammerers will be ready to speak plainly.

nrg

But what if he wants to become you, and then forget that he is you so that he can play hide-and-seek with himself?
If he's bound by logic, I don't see how he can do that. But I do see how he could communicate with me in an unambiguous way. Just take some other form and explane everything crystal clear and unambiguously.

Or, you know, create the World without these limitations to begin with.

Student of X said:
Because it's kind of hard to make a dreamworld that you can lose yourself in if you're just going to wake everyone up right away. Where is the fun in that?
But why did it have to be a dream world that everyone can lose themselves in?

james2ko

Or maybe God just doesn't care enough to communicate with some people. Have you ever took into consideration that God just might not like most people and wants nothing to do with them.

If that were true, He would only want to save "some flesh". But instead:

Luk 3:6 AND ALL FLESH SHALL SEE THE SALVATION OF GOD.' "​

waitasec

Veteran Member
One day, He will. But currently, He is generally engaged in a hands off approach so we can learn the indelible, difficult, and sobering lesson of living life our way instead of His.

actually this idea contradicts the hands off approach when considering..."thou shall not"

james2ko

But how do you explain people dying, having never even asked for forgiveness of any sin, never having obeyed any of God's commands or even hearing about the Bible in the first place?

They will be resurrected to physical life after the millennium (Rev 20:5) under paradisaic conditions and given a period of time to accept or reject Christ.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Yes sir:

Hab 2:14 For the earth will be filled With the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, As the waters cover the sea.

Isa 32:3-4 The eyes of those who see will not be dim, And the ears of those who hear will listen. 4 Also the heart of the rash will understand knowledge, And the tongue of the stammerers will be ready to speak plainly.

"will be"
"will not be"

all disclaimers...

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
If he's bound by logic, I don't see how he can do that. But I do see how he could communicate with me in an unambiguous way. Just take some other form and explane everything crystal clear and unambiguously.

Or, you know, create the World without these limitations to begin with.

God is not bound by logic. God is a child playing in eternity...one hand is light and one hand dark.

But why did it have to be a dream world that everyone can lose themselves in?
The world is a cosmic dream and a cosmic stage. We all have roles to play and masks to wear. At the end of the play we all go backstage and take off our masks and find there was only one actor all along.

If your role calls for you to have crystal clear and unambiguous communication then you will have it. If not then you won't. Just play your role as best you can and have faith in the transcendent Actor that you are.

And check out the works of Joseph Campbell. His pioneering work in comparative mythology is probably the only way an atheist can begin to understand.

Here is an award-winning PBS vid that I'm sure will answer some of your questions.

Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth

Last edited: