• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God communicate ambiguously?

Wannabe Yogi

This has as about as much to do with God's communication as the fact that science solves health and mental problems all the time.

Modern Science has made great in roads curing health problems. It certainly has not been as successful in creating mental health. The fact is many non impacted "primitive" cultures suffer from less mental health issues then we do.

nrg

Meditation for many eastern religions is a way of communicating with God or the primal force or enlightenment(seeing gods way).
Oh, ok. Do people reach the same conclusions when they meditate then?

bobhikes said:
Stress is what blocks you from understanding Gods words. Stress is caused by your own intelligence. You create your own stress.
An omnipotent God would be able to make anyone understand his words, even the most stressed out person.

Wannabe Yogi said:
Modern Science has made great in roads curing health problems. It certainly has not been as successful in creating mental health. The fact is many non impacted "primitive" cultures suffer from less mental health issues then we do.
Yes, science has created alot of anxiety that we didn't have before. But we're at least working on those problems.

To stay on topic, I don't see how education blocks out God. He shouldn't be blocked by anything.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
Oh, ok. Do people reach the same conclusions when they meditate then?

Sorry to interrupt but there are certain things that mystics of all ages have agreed on. Comparative mysticism is an important but under-developed field and it could solve a lot of religious issues.

An omnipotent God would be able to make anyone understand his words, even the most stressed out person.
You'd think, but no. Not without breaking minds.

The ego-self is tiny and fragile and weak compared to the rest of the psyche. If God were to reveal itself to you, your mind would be drowned out and swallowed in the radiance, fragmented into a million pieces.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've wondered this too. How can God threaten to throw people on hell if His words are so open to interpretation? IMO He intended His words to be vague. Just like we have to use different ommunications with our own children, being literal with billions of people isn't a very realistic approach.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The question
is obviously based on an assumption, one which I believe to be unwise and unwarranted.

nrg

I've wondered this too. How can God threaten to throw people on hell if His words are so open to interpretation? IMO He intended His words to be vague. Just like we have to use different ommunications with our own children, being literal with billions of people isn't a very realistic approach.
Yes it is, all kinds of important stuff is literal and unambiguous. Billions of people can do arithemtic and it's based upon unambiguous and formal rules.

Jayhawker Soule said:
The question
is obviously based on an assumption, one which I believe to be unwise and unwarranted.
What assumption would that be? That God communicates ambiguously?

nrg

Jayhawker Soule said:
That God communicates.
Ah, ok, when I wrote:

nrg said:
I have to point out that this thread only deals with that type of god. If it's not omnipotent, omniscient or wants everyone to understand, I don't have a problem.
I figured I didn't need to add that if you don't believe in a God that communicates, this thread doesn't adress that belief. But, apperantly I did.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
We have hundreds of churches and even more religions, all convinced that they have the right interpretation of God's word.

So, here's where I have a problem; if God is omnipotent, omniscient and wants the message to be spread to every single one of us, why doesn't it communicate with us unambiguously? So it's crystal clear what it wants you to do and how creation happened?

I have to point out that this thread only deals with that type of god. If it's not omnipotent, omniscient or wants everyone to understand, I don't have a problem.

In my opinion, human beings are too diverse and there are too many different kinds of cultures to have only ONE religion or way of life. It just wouldn't work and honestly I think we'd be worse off. If everyone on the planet was the same religion, just imagine the amount of power and control that could be created, and how much easier it would be for it to be corrupted. I think having multiple religions and faiths is a really good thing because it helps keep religion in check, honest, and healthy.

Another reason why there are so many religions and denominations within religions is because as time changes, our understanding and expectations of what God demands from us changes as well. Life isn't static, and neither is God's revelation.. it's highly dynamic and our interpretation of it is always changing.

We have hundreds of churches and even more religions, all convinced that they have the right interpretation of God's word.

So, here's where I have a problem; if God is omnipotent, omniscient and wants the message to be spread to every single one of us, why doesn't it communicate with us unambiguously? So it's crystal clear what it wants you to do and how creation happened?

if you did get that crystal clear message, would that change your mind about how you want to live your life?

Me Myself

Back to my username
To inspire debate.

S/He loves RF and watchs all it´s post all the time.

to be too clear would make this forum boring, and s/he wouldn´t want that! :eek:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Yes, science has created alot of anxiety that we didn't have before. But we're at least working on those problems.

Why does an omnipotent God want to make everyone or anyone effortlessly understand God's words. God gave you all you need and then gave you choice if you choose not to listen why should god force you to.

You can't have free will and have a god that forces you to listen.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Why does an omnipotent God want to make everyone or anyone effortlessly understand God's words. God gave you all you need and then gave you choice if you choose not to listen why should god force you to.

You can't have free will and have a god that forces you to listen.

As an advertizing student, I know that´s just false :p

If God was all knowing, he could technically send you a message that he knows full well you´ll understand AND that he knows it will take you a lot of effort to do so before you actually do understand it.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
If God gave us free will, god had to gift us with our own ability to understand. God couldn't make it so everything God said or did was automatically understood. If you completely understood everything how would you have free will.

What?! :sarcastic:sarcastic:sarcastic:sarcastic:sarcastic:sarcastic:sarcastic:sarcastic

I am afraid there is a limit to how many emoticons I can use in this post to express my feelings towards that quote. Sadly, i think that such a limit is too small in this case.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
As an advertizing student, I know that´s just false :p

If God was all knowing, he could technically send you a message that he knows full well you´ll understand AND that he knows it will take you a lot of effort to do so before you actually do understand it.

I not saying God can't, I saying you won't have free will if God does. God wants you to understand God by choice. Not tricks, not force, not any reason other than you choose to.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Before even considering choosing you, you must at least acknowledge His existence, right?

Ah, so ALL of his "chosen" people are merely some of those who have already chosen him?

No one chooses to follow Him, He chooses us:
Joh_15:16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.​

Make up your mind.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I not saying God can't, I saying you won't have free will if God does. God wants you to understand God by choice. Not tricks, not force, not any reason other than you choose to.

Technically speaking, he cannot not decide for you what you will freely choose to belief, if he trully knows you completely.

"tricks" and "force" are very relative terms in this kind of scenarios.

If I know exactly how to make a girl fall in complete and mad love with me without lying to her and I choose to do so, I am not either tricking nor forcing her necessarily. I merely knew her well enough.

Naturaly, no one would have 100% certainty which of their attempts would be definite to succeed.

Except God of course. But he also knows which are definite to fail. There is no middle ground, unless he purposefully "forgets" whats going to work so he "feels" he is not "tricking" us.