• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does it seem that God never intervenes in Human Suffering

Serenity7855

Lambaster of the Angry Anti-Theists
Now if we said why would god "allow" suffering, that I dont know. If he were life, suffering exist because it does. No one allows it. Its in our hands how we see and live. If an entity demands our worship, which he does no matter who says he doesnt, it is the nature of god, being god/creator to want children to respect him. Its logical but immoral.

God does not demand for us to worship. I think you may be confusing Him with Satan, for it was Satan, whose plan of taking away freedom of choice was rejected, He wanted to compel us into doing all the things that was expected of us in order for us all to return to our Heavenly Father after mortality. Gods plan was to give us all agency to act however we chose to act. If we worship Him then we honour Him and glorify Him. That is what makes Him who He is, the father of all righteousness, however, He does not demand it. It most certainly is not His nature. If it were then he would be sharing it with Satan, and that is pretty unlikely.

Maybe youre asking why is it moral for god to allow suffering? Going by scripture/bible he didnt allow. When adam and eve were in the garden, he said for them not to touch the tree "for they (not he) didnt want the humans to be perfect like them, knowing good from evil"

That is a rather obscure understanding of who God is. God only has to sin once to cease being God. and in my opinion, if He did that, He would be sinning.

He commanded Adam and Eve not to partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for if they did, then they would surely die. He also told them to, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: go forth and multiply", yet they had no clue how to do that as they were innocent to procreation, they walked around together naked and felt no shame because they knew not that they were naked. It was impossible to obey both commandments. Replenish the earth and do not eat the fruit of the tree.

The knowledge of how replenish the earth was held in the fruit of the tree of Knowledge of good and evil. The only way that they could multiply was to become mortal being as they now stood in perfection, without the knowledge and physical body to procreate. What a dilema? Eat the fruit and you will know the truth of all things but you will fall into mortality, or don't eat the fruit and stay as they were, in the garden, for eternity. God knew what their choice would be, and they partook of the fruit, fell into mortality and were expelled into the mortal world where they would create life.

All this time God was walking and talking with Adam and Eve. He was in their presence and did not shrivel and die as a result. That was only possible because they to were both perfect and able to be in one another's presence. As soon as sin entered into their lives they could not dwell with God and he could not dwell with them. The had become carnal man, sinners and capable of procreation.

The plan had been set into motion and here we are today, as carnal men, still disobeying God. It was a part of God's plan that Eve would disobey Him as that was the only way that they could come to a knowledge of procreation, and they hid their nakedness, and it was the only way to become mortal beings and create the human race. So, what you have said about God is the exact opposite of what He wanted to achieve.

The fall was necessary in order to kick start the Plan of Salvation. Adam had to partake of the fruit because Eve did so she would be cast out of the Garden leaving Adam on his own again. He had to be like unto Eve, mortal, so that they could fulfil Gods commandments to replenish the earth. So he partook and mankind was born.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God does not demand for us to worship. I think you may be confusing Him with Satan, for it was Satan, whose plan of taking away freedom of choice was rejected, He wanted to compel us into doing all the things that was expected of us in order for us all to return to our Heavenly Father after mortality. Gods plan was to give us all agency to act however we chose to act. If we worship Him then we honour Him and glorify Him. That is what makes Him who He is, the father of all righteousness, however, He does not demand it. It most certainly is not His nature. If it were then he would be sharing it with Satan, and that is pretty unlikely.

That is a rather obscure understanding of who God is. God only has to sin once to cease being God. and in my opinion, if He did that, He would be sinning.

He commanded Adam and Eve not to partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, for if they did, then they would surely die. He also told them to, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: go forth and multiply", yet they had no clue how to do that as they were innocent to procreation, they walked around together naked and felt no shame because they knew not that they were naked. It was impossible to obey both commandments. Replenish the earth and do not eat the fruit of the tree.

The knowledge of how replenish the earth was held in the fruit of the tree of Knowledge of good and evil. The only way that they could multiply was to become mortal being as they now stood in perfection, without the knowledge and physical body to procreate. What a dilema? Eat the fruit and you will know the truth of all things but you will fall into mortality, or don't eat the fruit and stay as they were, in the garden, for eternity. God knew what their choice would be, and they partook of the fruit, fell into mortality and were expelled into the mortal world where they would create life.

All this time God was walking and talking with Adam and Eve. He was in their presence and did not shrivel and die as a result. That was only possible because they to were both perfect and able to be in one another's presence. As soon as sin entered into their lives they could not dwell with God and he could not dwell with them. The had become carnal man, sinners and capable of procreation.

The plan had been set into motion and here we are today, as carnal men, still disobeying God. It was a part of God's plan that Eve would disobey Him as that was the only way that they could come to a knowledge of procreation, and they hid their nakedness, and it was the only way to become mortal beings and create the human race. So, what you have said about God is the exact opposite of what He wanted to achieve.

The fall was necessary in order to kick start the Plan of Salvation. Adam had to partake of the fruit because Eve did so she would be cast out of the Garden leaving Adam on his own again. He had to be like unto Eve, mortal, so that they could fulfil Gods commandments to replenish the earth. So he partook and mankind was born.

That is a positive way of looking at your faith. Looking on the outside in, the creator you worship still doesn't give "non-believers" a leave way out. There is sin needed repentance to someone who does not turn to Christ.

That in itself is an ultimatum, and it is another indirect way to demand (or ask, maybe) worship (or respect?) for your children to mind you.

I would assume Satan would say this directly. Worship me or else.

I just find Christianity not morally logical. I understand why and how god did this and that. I do, though, find some facts such as god displeased with those who sin and don't repent, shouldn't need to be justified or to "sound good." Everyone sees Christianity, god, Christ, each differently. In Islam, I was reading these threads, that the Muslim doesn't see their relationship with Allah the same as a Christian does with Christs--seeing it as a personal relationship. It is more of strict worship.

I honestly think Christians kind of loss that type of discipline to their Creator. It's like making excuses for their relationship with god. I only heard one christian in a chat room (not on RF) say "I rather be a slave to god..." because that is basically who the "children" or obedient of god are, slaves.

It isn't a bad word. It's just it makes it much more easier and direct when showing the relationship with the creator compared to anyone else. People would give up their family and their children for god. Now that I do not understand.

It does make my point, though, that if god is that important to you (and to others), it is not just reverence and relationship. It's dependent relationship. Unless you can see yourself a day without god, christ, and the holy spirit, then everything is dependent on the Creator.

Hence why he is worshiped. Why he needs to be. Why he wants to be. Why believes should and do.

Morally, that makes no sense. Logically, I can see why people do. It just rubs me wrong (positive idiom).

Serenity7855

That is a positive way of looking at your faith. Looking on the outside in, the creator you worship still doesn't give "non-believers" a leave way out. There is sin needed repentance to someone who does not turn to Christ.

I don't know where you took this from, however, it is my understanding that anyone who reaches a level of righteousness would be given entrance to the Kingdom of God, for an example, Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi would, in my opinion, both receive eternal exaltation based on their works. I just do not believe that Heaven will be full of Christians. I believe that heaven will be full of righteous people.

Jesus Christ took upon Himself all of the sins of the world, whether in the past, in the present or in the future. It is a matter of courtesy and gratitude just to ask the person who took your sins to also forgive you of them as well. Many of the sins committed in this day and age are horrendous in nature suggesting that the perpetrators have become far more wicked, and accepting of wickedness than at any time before. For the sake of the innocent, there has to be a deterrent. Something that makes you question your motives and morality in the hope that you might be deterred from your sins. The threat of loosing you eternal exaltation is a pretty good deterrent,

That in itself is an ultimatum, and it is another indirect way to demand (or ask, maybe) worship (or respect?) for your children to mind you

If I were to ask for your respect than I would agree with you, however, for God to expect it is intrinsically incompatible with who He is. My avatar is a depiction of Jesus knocking on a door with no handle, which means, that you must open the door to Him. He cannot open it Himself and just walk into your life. He has to be invited. The same thing applies to God. He cannot ask you for your respect, it must be freely given by you. That is the only method by which God knows that your love of Him is genuine.
I would assume Satan would say this directly. Worship me or else.

Yes, that is my belief.

I just find Christianity not morally logical. I understand why and how god did this and that. I do, though, find some facts such as god displeased with those who sin and don't repent, shouldn't need to be justified or to "sound good." Everyone sees Christianity, god, Christ, each differently. In Islam, I was reading these threads, that the Muslim doesn't see their relationship with Allah the same as a Christian does with Christs--seeing it as a personal relationship. It is more of strict worship.

I find it difficult defending Christianity as a congregation because it has become corrupted, misinterpreted and changed by the pride of men and their self confessed wisdom. For example,the King James Bible, which is, in my opinion, the most exact translation of the bible that exists, is now discredited by Christians who have simplified the language to make it easier to read. What a real travesty. We have women clergy, gay marriages and doctrinally incorrect preaching of the word of God.

I think that the Muslim's way is a reflection of their culture, as Christianity is of ours. I don't see my religion as right and everybody elses as wrong. I live a Christian lifestyle that makes me happy and gives me the potential to gain entry into the Kingdom of God, where, I believe, I will meet those that were Hindu's, Muslims, Pagan's or Buddhist in life and are righteous individuals, without the labels, in Heaven.
I honestly think Christians kind of loss that type of discipline to their Creator. It's like making excuses for their relationship with god. I only heard one christian in a chat room (not on RF) say "I rather be a slave to god..." because that is basically who the "children" or obedient of god are, slaves.

You have a real point there. I cannot defend that.

It isn't a bad word. It's just it makes it much more easier and direct when showing the relationship with the creator compared to anyone else. People would give up their family and their children for god. Now that I do not understand.

As would I, however, that just amounts to the individuals level of commitment to God and their level of faith in Him. Christianity has become riddled with the beliefs of men and their pomp and ceremony rather than that of God. It is what man thinks is right and not what God thinks. It started with the founding forefathers and their man made creeds, even creating the trinity, the biggest load of rubbish that I have ever seen.
It does make my point, though, that if god is that important to you (and to others), it is not just reverence and relationship. It's dependent relationship. Unless you can see yourself a day without god, christ, and the holy spirit, then everything is dependent on the Creator.

Everything is dependant on humanity. We are the captains of our own ships. God, I believe, is a non interventionary God making us the authors of our own destruction, which is now inevitable when our society is rife with sin, especially sexual sin and perversion.

Hence why he is worshiped. Why he needs to be. Why he wants to be. Why believes should and do.
I believe that as soon as He is not glorified in His Godhood then he will not be God. Yes, I believe He needs to be worships, however, to want to be sounds conceited and I do not see God as being conceited. Because of who He is and what He has done, I want to worship Him, whether He wants me to or not. He is deserving of worship.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Serenity7855 Okay. Im finished.

Thank you for your respectful reply.
I don't know where you took this from, however, it is my understanding that anyone who reaches a level of righteousness would be given entrance to the Kingdom of God, for an example, Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi would, in my opinion, both receive eternal exaltation based on their works. I just do not believe that Heaven will be full of Christians. I believe that heaven will be full of righteous people.

I think many non-christians would appreciate that view. I read in the Bible, which makes logical sense, that if you do not believe in god, then god will not be present in your life. If you don't want or don't believe your mother loves you, how, no matter how righteous you are, can benefit from her love. It is more of a behavioral lie or delusion. For example, if I were righteous and I do not believe in god, what logical right do I have to accept a gift when I am do not love or even know the person who is giving it to me? Why take a gift from someone I do not know, not even as an acquaintance? Not even as a stranger?

I understand because I receive gifts and blessings from the spirits and my family all the time. However, just like on earth, my aunt can give me a gift and so can John Doe. It's alright they both give me gifts, however, I know and love my aunt. I do not know John Doe at all to even appreciate the gift (and see it as a gift). It could be for any reason. I do not believe or want to believe because another person's claim (no matter if it is Peter or John in the 21st century). It should be a personal relationship.

My point:
Without that, how can you be righteous in god's eyes if you do not know the gift he gives you to see it valuable?

Jesus Christ took upon Himself all of the sins of the world, whether in the past, in the present or in the future. It is a matter of courtesy and gratitude just to ask the person who took your sins to also forgive you of them as well.

...Something that makes you question your motives and morality in the hope that you might be deterred from your sins. The threat of loosing you eternal exaltation is a pretty good deterrent,

Logically, I understand that it is common courtesy for those who know Jesus existed and know he took their sins. It can be written in the Bible, in the dictionary, and spoken out of both a believer's and a scholars mouths, and that does not make it true to any person that has no personal relationship with that belief (your statement). It's not relevant and it is not real to a lot of people.

I know that is hard to believe. Do you understand why that makes sense? Do you understand that in order to be thankful for someone else's gratitude, there needs to be knowledge both personal and factual of that person's existence and some type of relationship that lets that person value the gift that you said Jesus gave him (or did for him)?

In my point of view, what your statement is illogical not just morally but factually too. In order to be thankful for a gift you receive, you have to know the person who gave it to you exist. In order to benefit from this gift, you have to see value in it: not God, not Jesus, you (the person in general)

:herb:

I don't know where you took this from, however, it is my understanding that anyone who reaches a level of righteousness would be given entrance to the Kingdom of God, for an example, Mother Teresa or Mahatma Gandhi would, in my opinion, both receive eternal exaltation based on their works.

If people are unrighteous and can loose their salvation, that is the consequence that God has given them not the person. For example, if I were a child and threw a toy at by brother, I would not receive any consequences (outside of my belief in karma) unless my mother created consequences in which she places on me. So, she may tell me to sit in the corner.

In god's case, they loose eternal salvation. If people are to grow and learn their spirituality, should do so without the threat of loosing their salvation. God has given them an ultimatum that is forced in their hands by their actions because of god's consequences. If the "snake" wasn't there, then all would be righteous.

How is that bad?

He cannot ask you for your respect, it must be freely given by you. That is the only method by which God knows that your love of Him is genuine.

Do you feel it is expected for someone who is not Christian to accept god's gift? Do you feel that that person who is not Christian does not have genuine love without Christs (since everything comes from Christ)?

I find it difficult defending Christianity as a congregation because it has become corrupted, misinterpreted and changed by the pride of men...I will meet those that were Hindu's, Muslims, Pagan's or Buddhist in life and are righteous individuals, without the labels, in Heaven.

That is foreign to me; and, a healthy way of seeing another person's future.

Thank you

Everything is dependent on humanity. We are the captains of our own ships. God, I believe, is a non interventionary God making us the authors of our own destruction, which is now inevitable when our society is rife with sin, especially sexual sin and perversion.

This is an odd statement. I would think in every abrahamic faith in every other degree, everything is depended on god since god is the creator.

The italics is one of my points. That is why I say it is an ultimatum. If god is making us the authors of our own destruction, then we have no other way out but to love him or love sin.

I disagree with this.

I believe that as soon as He is not glorified in His Godhood then he will not be God. Yes, I believe He needs to be worships, however, to want to be sounds conceited and I do not see God as being conceited. Because of who He is and what He has done, I want to worship Him, whether He wants me to or not. He is deserving of worship.

I think this is closer to the "slave to god". I respect this more than the indirect "god wants us to do X but if we don't love him, then we get Y even though he gave us a choice to do either." Instead, your statement and other denomi say it is a need to worship god. It puts everything in god's hands rather than the person (except for your statement about humanity actions in our hands), and it says directly the consequences of not loving god.

While I disagree morally, I understand and respect it logically. It's direct and simple expression of one's faith.

Yes, that is my belief.

Thank you. This (my satan comment) makes more sense when put that way.

Thank you

Last edited:

Serenity7855

Carlita.
I think many non-christians would appreciate that view. I read in the Bible, which makes logical sense, that if you do not believe in god, then god will not be present in your life.
That is only true from the perspective of humanity. God is always there waiting and willing to love us with open arms.
If you don't want or don't believe your mother loves you, how, no matter how righteous you are, can benefit from her love. It is more of a behavioral lie or delusion. For example, if I were righteous and I do not believe in god, what logical right do I have to accept a gift when I am do not love or even know the person who is giving it to me? Why take a gift from someone I do not know, not even as an acquaintance? Not even as a stranger?
I have to ask, have I made an insinuation that God gives us gifts? It is not a part of my belief system, however, I may well have made a reference to it that is ambiguous or quoted incorrectly. I am not sure what you mean by a gift either. Are you saying that it is a spiritual gift, a new MP3 player or wisdom.
I understand because I receive gifts and blessings from the spirits and my family all the time. However, just like on earth, my aunt can give me a gift and so can John Doe. It's alright they both give me gifts, however, I know and love my aunt. I do not know John Doe at all to even appreciate the gift (and see it as a gift). It could be for any reason. I do not believe or want to believe because another person's claim (no matter if it is Peter or John in the 21st century). It should be a personal relationship.
I suspect that I am in total agreement with you here. Your relationship with God should be personal, between you and Him, not between congregations or church hierarchy. When I became a Mormon I was very suspicious of them because I did not know them yet they were treating me like we had been friends for many years. I found it very disconcerting and claustrophobic all the time that I was a member. I now think that I was at fault for being suspicious of people whose intentions were honourable.

My point: Without that, how can you be righteous in god's eyes if you do not know the gift he gives you to see it valuable?

We all have the "Light of Christ", or a conscience, regardless of who we are. We all know what is right and what is wrong. The only differences between us is what drives us to make our choices. You do not have to be told not to steal someones possessions, you know it is wrong instinctively. You can lead a Christ Centred Life without knowing Christ. Morals are not unique to Him they are written on our hearts.
Romans 2:14-15
14 Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the Law, do by nature what the Law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the Law,

15 since they show that the work of the Law is written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts either accusing or defending them.
Logically, I understand that it is common courtesy for those who know Jesus existed and know he took their sins. It can be written in the Bible, in the dictionary, and spoken out of both a believer's and a scholars mouths, and that does not make it true to any person that has no personal relationship with that belief (your statement). It's not relevant and it is not real to a lot of people.
Yes, in part I would have to concur, however, that only relates to certain unique aspects of Christianity. Like the resurrection, the fall or the ascension. If you are talking about the morals that should be instilled in all of our hearts, regardless of religious beliefs, then we are accountable for any wrong doings that are our responsibility, if not to your God then to yourself and those you wrong. But I agree with you when it comes to unique religious practices.
I know that is hard to believe. Do you understand why that makes sense? Do you understand that in order to be thankful for someone else's gratitude, there needs to be knowledge both personal and factual of that person's existence and some type of relationship that lets that person value the gift that you said Jesus gave him (or did for him)?
I am not sure that I do. Is the child suffering from malnutrition grateful for the donation of food that a stranger has made. Is the house owners grateful to the Fire Department for preventing their house from burning to the ground. Are the homeless grateful to those in the soup kitchens for their kindness? I have no personal experience of any of these situations, however, I would like to think that I would feel gratitude for those mercies.
In my point of view, what your statement is illogical not just morally but factually too. In order to be thankful for a gift you receive, you have to know the person who gave it to you exist. In order to benefit from this gift, you have to see value in it: not God, not Jesus, you (the person in general)
Have you ever heard of the "Gratitude Stone" spoken of in a book called "The Secret"? Gratitude stones are basically a simple way to remind yourself to be grateful for what you have in your life. A lot of people jumped on the wagon when it was mentioned on the popular film and book called The Secret. The truth is though, gratitude stones have been around for far longer. The idea is that you put a stone in your pocket and throughout the day you keep finding it there. When you do it reminds you to be grateful of all you have in your life. It serves as a reminder so you can keep your spiritual focus. These days in the hustle and bustle of modern life we tend to forget about how good our life is, how lucky we are. Perhaps you are waiting at a bus stop on a cold and wet day, thinking what a horrible day it is. Then you by chance put your hands in your pocket and find the gratitude stone. Instantly this will remind you how lucky you are. You could be starving or homeless, but no – you have a good life.

Can you see that your synopsis can be viewed from a completely different angle. By being grateful for all that you are, have and look forward to, regardless of your relationship to those who will bless your life, you can benefit just by being grateful, even if the people that bless your life don't know you, or you them. I have a gratitude stone so I can testify that they work.
If people are unrighteous and can loose their salvation, that is the consequence that God has given them not the person. For example, if I were a child and threw a toy at by brother, I would not receive any consequences (outside of my belief in karma) unless my mother created consequences in which she places on me. So, she may tell me to sit in the corner.
No one can loose their salvation. It is a gift from God. To be saved - or to gain salvation - means to be saved from physical and spiritual death. Because of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, all people will be resurrected and saved from physical death, regardless as to who they are. Everybody, who has lived on earth, will receive salvation.

I think that you mean that people may also be saved from individual spiritual death through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, by their faith in Him, by living in obedience to the laws and ordinances of His gospel, and by serving Him.
that is the consequence that God has given them not the person.
That is indeed one way of looking at it, however, God has not given them the consequences, they have given it to themselves by their choices. They knew that there were consequences to their actions and they knew that by continuing in that path would mean that they would have to endure the consequences of their actions. I am not really sure if God has any part in that. I get the feeling that like natural laws are self actuating as a direct consequence of a cause, so our supernatural laws are also self actuating as a direct consequence of a cause. They react in the same way as natural laws, by cause and effect.
For example, if I were a child and threw a toy at by brother, I would not receive any consequences (outside of my belief in karma) unless my mother created consequences in which she places on me. So, she may tell me to sit in the corner.
Regardless as to who saw you do it you will receive a just reward for your action. It is inevitable, having no escape. It is a supernatural law of the universe.
In god's case, they loose eternal salvation. If people are to grow and learn their spirituality, should do so without the threat of loosing their salvation. God has given them an ultimatum that is forced in their hands by their actions because of god's consequences. If the "snake" wasn't there, then all would be righteous.
It would take rather more than throwing a toy at your sister to forgo salvation. The only ones that will lose that are the third of the host of heaven that went with Satan, Satan himself and the son's of perdition. But as I have said, everyone will receive salvation, regardless of who they are or what they have done.

Again, it is not Gods consequences it is mans consequences. If you know that what you are doing is wrong and that it has a consequence then you have to be prepared to endure that consequence. It is your choice. Commit the sin and pay the price, do not commit the sin and reap the rewards. God plays no part in that, we do.
How is that bad?
If the snake were not there then we would not be here. There had to be a fall in order for mankind to exist.

Do you feel it is expected for someone who is not Christian to accept god's gift? Do you feel that that person who is not Christian does not have genuine love without Christs (since everything comes from Christ)?

I do not know. Nobody can be expected to do anything, which is why we have free agency. Why wouldn't you accept Gods gift? The only way that I can see you not accepting it is if there are negative strings attached.

No I don't, but I believe that love is another supernatural law. No one has ownership of it.

This is an odd statement. I would think in every abrahamic faith in every other degree, everything is depended on god since god is the creator.

God created the earth for us to be tried and tested in the flesh. That could only be achieved without intervention by God as that would give the game away. Hence, we are the authors of our own destruction. In effect, everything is dependant on us, and we are not doing a very good job of it so far.

The italics is one of my points. That is why I say it is an ultimatum. If god is making us the authors of our own destruction, then we have no other way out but to love him or love sin.

Or just live a righteous lifestyle.

I disagree with this.

That is fine Carlita. We are individuals with differing opinions.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Cliff notes (realizing how long this post is): I understand what you say. Some things I dont agree with like needing free will to the role of being tested. Im not familiar with Mormonism. I come from a fundamental thought mixed with the values of Catholicism. Gift meaning spiritual gift. Something you receive because of how you are valued by the giver. Points in green.

You have a different way of looking at Christianity than what I am accustomed to. I learned the harsh part of Christianity through the protestant churches. I learned and valued the positive parts within Catholicism. However, I overlooked that you are Mormon. I don't know their beliefs compared to mainstream to really agree or disagree with what you said. Just Christianity, good or bad, morally doesn't make sense to me. I love Catholicism. However, I don't want to live a lie to myself, to others, to the priest, and to Christ.
That is only true from the perspective of humanity. God is always there waiting and willing to love us with open arms.
That is odd. If I am on the other side of the world and I never knew my mother, my mother is not present with me if she lives in Virginia and I in the Philippines. No matter how much I want to love her and have faith in her love, that doesn't top an actual relationship with her and in her presence. It goes beyond knowing "god is always waiting and willing with open arms" it's more you have flesh, blood, and spirit of Christ. It makes it more personal. This is from what I experience; though, that's difference than living it as your lifestyle and belief.
I have to ask, have I made an insinuation that God gives us gifts? It is not a part of my belief system, however, I may well have made a reference to it that is ambiguous or quoted incorrectly. I am not sure what you mean by a gift either. Are you saying that it is a spiritual gift, a new MP3 player or wisdom.
When god gives his son to die on the cross to take away sins, that's a gift (cant think of a better word) to humanity. It's by context. However, if I took away gift, I remember you did say Jesus died for us and in my view that is a gift; so, that's how I connected the two.
1. I am not sure that I do. Is the child suffering from malnutrition grateful for the donation of food that a stranger has made.

2. Is the house owners grateful to the Fire Department for preventing their house from burning to the ground.

3. Are the homeless grateful to those in the soup kitchens for their kindness? I have no personal experience of any of these situations, however, I would like to think that I would feel gratitude for those mercies.
(Numbered them to understand your points)

1. Yes. In my faith or walk, I found gratitude in and of itself doesn't need a person or object of worship to validate it. It took me 35 years so far in training to understand the difference between dependence and relationship. If I'm dependent on a person (without a balance in return), then I feel I am using whom or whatever I an dependent on. When I have a relationship with something, say the air we breathe which is also the spirits of our ancestors, it becomes support between two "people" rather than a hierarchy.

The hierarchy or authority is not from Christianity. I wasn't raised Christian and only lived here for going on four years. I had many close-call experiences being at the wrong place, with the wrong people, at the wrong time to make me conclude that authority doesn't make one "invincible" (My words). We are all human and spirits are no different in "level" than I am. No planes or dimensions. Sounds movie-like to me, actually.

2. I would. I don't know about many other people, but I say thank you to paramedics who saved my life. Doctors who I do not know but treat my chronic illness...and so forth.

3. Yes, many are. I have been in those situations, though, where the mentality of many homeless in this area is worse than any illness I have encountered. It's not a direct pain but more our county government has an indirect way of keeping people in certain levels of poverty. Social services, Community Services, and group home services are horrible. I have met criminals who have told me their crimes; and, they do what they still do, but because they go to a rehabilitation place to get a job (where I met them), they are seen by their probation officer as "getting off their feet." It takes a lot more to help someone than just throwing them in a shelter and giving them a part time job. Without their god or other faith, many I talked with wouldn't even be living and that's either physically or mentally.

I have a huge pet peeve with the system here; however, my morals would dictate my being grateful for any provision and food they would give me to keep me alive. I have a friend that would never say thank you. I don't blame him, though. I wouldn't want to thank them for all the smess he gone through. Though, it is appropriate in a fantasy world.

Can you see that your synopsis can be viewed from a completely different angle. By being grateful for all that you are, have and look forward to, regardless of your relationship to those who will bless your life, you can benefit just by being grateful, even if the people that bless your life don't know you, or you them. I have a gratitude stone so I can testify that they work.

That's what I mean above. The issue is that since it is between that person and god, god has to be part of his reality. God has to exist in order for him to see value and benefit from it.

In analogy, we can say he is blessed regardless of what he things, but, to me, that is ego talking. If he knows he is not blessed, then he is not. What I think is my belief or opinion. However, to state them as facts, that I do not agree with.

No one can loose their salvation. It is a gift from God. To be saved - or to gain salvation - means to be saved from physical and spiritual death. Because of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, all people will be resurrected and saved from physical death, regardless as to who they are. Everybody, who has lived on earth, will receive salvation.

I think that you mean that people may also be saved from individual spiritual death through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, by their faith in Him, by living in obedience to the laws and ordinances of His gospel, and by serving Him.

I dont think so. If god patterned everything, who am I to say the consequences of my actions are not tailored by god. God gave me the good and the bad. He gave me the choice to "listen to the snake." It all starts with god and ends with god. Anything with an " I " according to more mainstream fundamentalist thought is taking the focus off of god. In Catholic teachings, it isn't like that; which, I like. I don't know about Mormon to understand or agree with you.

Again, it is not Gods consequences it is mans consequences. If you know that what you are doing is wrong and that it has a consequence...

If god did not set the pins up and rules of the game, then I can throw the ball in any direction and the consequence wouldn't harm anyone. Since he put the pins place and gave the rules, whatever I made is my action.

I am not a loner in my actions. To be one is self-centered and I try to get out of that. I find that I am in a community of spirits, family, and earth that takes care of me and makes me, me. So what I do is a reflection of them.

So how I would see god is if I did a good action is a reflection of his deed. If I did a bad action, it is a reflection of his deed. He would have created it all. Perfection isnt part of my faith.

If the snake were not there then we would not be here. There had to be a fall in order for mankind to exist.

I disagree. If the snake was not there, humans would live with god and get to know him. They wouldnt need to worship him because they would want to. They will have the freedom to do as god says without guilt and without having the ego of needing to choose for themselves. For their choices are always within god. (In my view, life). I see no negativity or needing a fall. I find that a very negative way of seeing how to find grace in god.

I do not know. Nobody can be expected to do anything, which is why we have free agency. Why wouldn't you accept Gods gift? The only way that I can see you not accepting it is if there are negative strings attached.

No I don't, but I believe that love is another supernatural law. No one has ownership of it.

I disagree. I personally believe that is how you feel; and, I find it is an isolated belief that does not take into account people do not need god's gift (or need their sins to be forgiven, for example). It's isolating the fact that people do not choose to disbelief in god. People do not believe. Or a stronger way of saying it, some people know god does not exist.

There cannot be strings attached to someone who does not exist only the claims about him. Now, on RF, people argue about these claims and it seems as if they have some personal affect for both the atheist and the believer, but in a sense outside of emotional attachment, it doesn't make sense to see there are strings around something or someone who doesn't exist but in the scripture (from then till now) of believers not independent of humans.

In other words, I never heard of a single characteristic of god that is not the wants, needs, motives, and hurts of a human being.

I have to cut it here since there is a word limit. I understand your faith. I just find both Christian and Muslim talk about their faith as facts for other people. It is a nasty aspect of evangalization whether done innocently, indirect, or direct. It doesn't have to be mean. it can be in well intention. It doesnt sit with me morally.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
However, I overlooked that you are Mormon.
Just in case Serenity doesn't get back to you, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I clarified for you that he is no longer a Mormon, though he was at one time. Some of this beliefs clearly have ties to Mormonism, but some are quite different from Mormonism. I'll let him fill you in on the details, since it would not be appropriate for me to do so.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Many children are traumatised at the realisation that Santa (an anagram of Satan) does not exist.

Wait until they realize there is no Jesus, either.

The man who stole Christmas has a name that is an anagram of "Satan". How coincidental that Satan would love to take away the true meaning of Christmas and "Santa" has done exactly that.

The etymology of Santa is Saint. And your anagram works probably only in English.

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I was genuinely waiting for that one. It is a part of the standard rhetoric of atheists, only they usually use the children that died in the flood as the nucleus of their grievance. And all at the same time they do not actually believe in any of this stuff. Yes, but that old guilt trip for Christians and false indictment of God. I still find it strange as to the motivation of atheists in ridiculing other peoples personal choice of belief. It is none of their business.

Since you are on a religious forum, you should expect that. And as long as believers try to affect other people's life by postulating what is moral or not, on the basis of something that has no more evidence than a figment of the imagination, then it is our business.

And I am not making fun of believers, I am making fun of beliefs. Not the same things. I am sure you also make a difference between sins and sinners.

I do not think for one moment that God gives a child bone cancer. I don't think that he is capable of that when his character is pure love. I think that illnesses like that are probably inherited from a parent or ancestor by genetic transmission or a faulty or mutated gene has caused it, but God could not cause it, however, as a master scientist, he would have full knowledge that it was going to happen. That being the case, it then becomes a matter of "best practices", utilising what you have in the most efficient way possible to the benefit of everyone concerned. What would you suggest he does, use a perfectly healthy person who will reach the age of 100, or someone whose life will be short lived as a result of illness?

So, how does it work? He checks who is going to die soon and then injects the souls of those valiant heavenly soldiers into those young bodies marked for useless chemotherapy? What?

I simply suggested to the Almighy that if He has already someone marked for promotion, then He should spare her and her parents the ordeal of dying slowly and painfully. Just in the interest of avoiding useless suffering.

My suggestion is also that you review your beliefs about the subject. If that is meant to resolve the problem of children death, it makes things even worse.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I do not think for one moment that God gives a child bone cancer. I don't think that he is capable of that when his character is pure love.
So the cause(s) of cancer can't be traced back to intentional acts of God? Where did they come from, then?

I think that illnesses like that are probably inherited from a parent or ancestor by genetic transmission or a faulty or mutated gene has caused it, but God could not cause it, however, as a master scientist, he would have full knowledge that it was going to happen. That being the case, it then becomes a matter of "best practices", utilising what you have in the most efficient way possible to the benefit of everyone concerned.
So God is perfectly efficient, then?

What would you suggest he does, use a perfectly healthy person who will reach the age of 100, or someone whose life will be short lived as a result of illness?
Whichever one you say is more optimal for God's needs, you have to admit that the other one happens, too. No matter what objective you think God is trying to achieve, we'll have examples where reality falls short of achieving that objective optimally... or at all.

Serenity7855

Just in case Serenity doesn't get back to you, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I clarified for you that he is no longer a Mormon, though he was at one time. Some of this beliefs clearly have ties to Mormonism, but some are quite different from Mormonism. I'll let him fill you in on the details, since it would not be appropriate for me to do so.

Hi Katzpur,
No, I do not mind you clarifying that I am no longer a Mormon, after all, it is the truth. I spent 25 years in the church and when I say in the church I mean completely immersed in it. When you spend 25 years as a fully active member, some of it wears off on you, so, much of my belief system is very much steeped in the Mormon faith. I was an avid reader when I was a member, still am, so I read a lot of deep doctrine written by the leaders in the church, which is probably what you do not recognise here and that you say is quite different from Mormonism, like the all encompassing reality of the unique one time only atonement or the physical appearance of Adam and Eve before and after the fall. It is different because it is speculation rather then official church sanctioned beliefs.

Serenity7855

So the cause(s) of cancer can't be traced back to intentional acts of God? Where did they come from, then?

I would suggest a weakening of the gene pool has caused much of it.

So God is perfectly efficient, then?

I would like to think so.

Whichever one you say is more optimal for God's needs, you have to admit that the other one happens, too. No matter what objective you think God is trying to achieve, we'll have examples where reality falls short of achieving that objective optimally... or at all.

I do not see what God sees. Your idea that "sods law" will inevitably happen as well could be what God wants for it to happen or not happen. The complexity involved far exceed my capabilities, in fact, it gives me a headache just thinking about it.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I think the sooner mankind dismisses these superstitious religions the sooner mankind can get on with actual Life

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I would suggest a weakening of the gene pool has caused much of it.
What do you mean by "weakening of the gene pool"? In what way is this outside of God's control?

I would like to think so.
Then you haven't solved your original problem; you've just replaced it with a new one.

With the regular Problem of Evil, we ask "if God is perfectly good, then why all the apparent evil?" In your version of things, we can ask "if God is perfectly efficient, then why all the apparent inefficiency?"

And the original question about evil is still there, too, because you still haven't established that the evil and suffering in the world is necessary to achieve God's ends.

I do not see what God sees. Your idea that "sods law" will inevitably happen as well could be what God wants for it to happen or not happen. The complexity involved far exceed my capabilities, in fact, it gives me a headache just thinking about it.
And you don't think this complexity implies inefficiency?

Have you heard the term 'Rube Goldberg machine"?

Serenity7855

Cliff notes (realizing how long this post is): I understand what you say. Some things I dont agree with like needing free will to the role of being tested. Im not familiar with Mormonism. I come from a fundamental thought mixed with the values of Catholicism. Gift meaning spiritual gift. Something you receive because of how you are valued by the giver. Points in green.

You have a different way of looking at Christianity than what I am accustomed to. I learned the harsh part of Christianity through the protestant churches. I learned and valued the positive parts within Catholicism. However, I overlooked that you are Mormon. I don't know their beliefs compared to mainstream to really agree or disagree with what you said. Just Christianity, good or bad, morally doesn't make sense to me. I love Catholicism. However, I don't want to live a lie to myself, to others, to the priest, and to Christ.

I may be completely wrong, however, I get the impression that you are relatively young and still testing the water. I think that you are doing the right thing by questioning Christianity, and any other religion for that matter, so that your choices are informed, therefore, reducing the hidden obstacle that could trip you up. I believe that you are a pantheist, which is a faith that I have a great deal of respect for and pretty much agree with. I hope that you are happy in your faith. I used to call myself a Pagan-Christian because I believe equally in both beliefs, however, I thought that it sounded infantile so I dropped it.
Carlita, I must clarify for you my status as a Mormon. My belief system is very much entrenched in the beliefs of Mormonism. I was a fully active member for 25 years but ill health meant that I could no longer attend. I had sacrement brought to me for a while but that dwindled and eventually stopped altogether when the Bishop changed. Over the last decade I have had time to make a more indepth study of Mormonism and found that in some areas it was implausible and unacceptable sophistry and subterfuge, especially around the Mark Hofmans incident and the Salamander letter. I think that because I had been less than active those little improprieties got to me and escalated but there was nothing I could do because I was physically incapable of going to church. If not for life's unexpected happenstances I would no doubt still be a fully paid up member. Sadly, there are no churches that come anywhere near to the accuracy of the doctrines of Mormonism so I just continued with my belief on my own. One solace that I have is that my wife is in her 35th year of being a fully active Mormon so she keeps my faith strong. So, to confirm what Katzpur has said, she is right I am no longer a member of the LDS Church.