• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does my God allow children to die? Is he evil?

JM2C

CHRISTIAN
If we ignore what our body is telling us what it wants, we're asking for trouble.
In my cycling club days it was unthinkable to go on a long slog without a small rucksack full of stuff including fruit, chocolate, salad sandwiches, jam and cream buns, pork pies, sausage rolls, fruity drinks etc.

Incidentally our Jewish friends don't eat pork and I wonder if that's why there's a higher incidence of Crohn's Disease (inflammation of the gut) among the Jewish population.

Also, Linda McCartney, Davy Jones, Maurice Gibb, Robin Gibb and Donna Summer were all veggies who died young. (The Gibbs both developed colorectal cancer) and now Angelina Jolie has ditched her vegan diet because she's fed up of being ill.

Furthermore a vet wrote in the paper that veggies sometimes bring in their pet dogs and cats with dull coats and listlessness, and it turns out they've been feeding their pets a non-meat diet (pet shops sell it specially), how cruel is that?

Crohn's Disease - Jewish Genetic Disease
I think the best diet is Hydro whey protein in the morning and before you go sleep at night. The secret in commercial diet programs or products is formulated with whey protein. They just say protein shake without emphasizing the importance of this protein in a diet, on what kind of protein, or where they came from, they just say protein shake, but what they stress more is the food that came with the diet program when in fact it was the Protein Shake that makes this diet program really work. They don’t want people to discover that it was the Whey Protein that makes this diet programs works, because if they do then they’ll just buy the Whey Protein for 60USD/month supply instead of 300 to 600 or more USD for a month supply for the whole diet program. It’s all about commercializing that 60USD/month whey protein into a 500 to 700 USD/month under the name of “DIET”.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Incidentally some people don't eat meat because they feel sorry for the animals, but I don't have that problem ever since I was chased across a field by a herd of cows in my teens and had to climb on the roof of a hut til they'd gone.
So now whenever I sink my teeth into a juicy steak I think "It's payback time!"..:)

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Why was what that article proposed not in all the taxonomy lists like the one I posted? This is strictly semantic curiosity. I honest don't care what label a guy in a think tank slaps on something. I care about what it actually is and does.

But why does that disturb you? Rats and squirrels are also mammals, but no one would say we are not because we can build starships and they can't. So, why is not problematic to be a mammal but it is to be a primate or a great ape?
It does not disturb me to think of humanity as smart primates especially since we often act worse than that label would allow. My problem is logical not personal. If humans are simply the next step of two in a line of primates why are we light-years ahead of them in intellectually? This is one more thorn in slow evolutions side.

This reminds me of another I think we discussed before. I said something about the Cambrian explosion and you ( I think) and others suggested there was plenty of time for the Cambrian development to occur by natural means. Last night I heard a relevant analogy. If the development span of life was condensed to a 24 hour day, for 21 hours of that 24 bacteria type life remained pretty much all there was. The Cambrian produced every major phyla in the next two minutes alone.

I think this has to do with our self esteem (aka anthropocentrism). Somehow we are ok with being a mammal because there are mammals that are obviously different from us. Look at that cat, it is clear that I am different from her.
Do you think my aversion to being considered a primate created the fact I can repair a rubidium oscillator and no other primate can even comprehend what an atom is?

My point here is logical not one of preference. In fact it does not even contend with our being non-apes. My position is whether ape or a new species we are astronomically unique. God could have chosen a certain step in evolution to place a spirit in a primate and make him radically different from his ancestors by doing so. I honestly don't care. I only care we have another issue here that can't be explained satisfactorily by materialism alone.

But primates are objectively so physically similar to us, particularly the other great apes, that being associated with them is more difficult to refute and somehow makes us aware that we are just another sort of animal with close cousins. And we do not like it. Especially theists, in general, for obvious reasons.
I would rather be unique but I really do not care.

What do you mean with quantum leap? A couple of generation? I think you are confusing evolution with the myth of Adam and Eve. There is no abrupt change in brain size. It has been constantly increasing for the last couple million years.
I have tried at least twice to suggest that I am not talking about brain size. That is my point. It does not seem to be genetically related. It is as if similar brains existed but one's capacity was amplified being any natural explanation. I am not saying we are unique by having a big brain. I do not think our brain is the biggest. I am saying out intellectual capacity is light years ahead of everything else. That fits perfectly with theology and doe snot fit with naturalism.

And even today you can have people with slightly different brain sizes. If that translates into additional intelligence and adaptability, it might be selected. Alas, slight additional intelligence is not so much required today to survive. Being able to kick a leather ball into some nets provides more evolutionary advantages than discovering the newest theory of everything. So, i would rather check for feet sizes.
Again this is not a size issue but one of capacity.

All in all, we have the capacity to assimilate and store other people ideas. So, we have cultural selection of ideas. And this could be an exponentially growing cumulative process. It does not happen overnight, though. Let a child be grown up by chimps and he will be unable to write sonnets as well (and believe in Jesus).
It did happen geologically over night. For 99.99999% of the 4 billions years or so intellectual capacity made infetesinmally leaps then a millisecond geologically speaking it made a leap that even all the other leaps added together can't compare with.

I do not buy your social creature argument but any kind of critical mass argument is after the fact. It might explain why we have learned more in the last 100 years than all the others but not why we have always been so far advance comparatively.

I just realized I had already responded to you. I will post this one anyway just see if you find any inconstancies.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Actually, studies indicate that the cognitive processing capabilities of Asian elephants exceeds that of any primate species due to the fact that they possess the greatest volume of cerebral cortex of all known land animals.

Cognitive behaviour in Asian elephants: use and modification of b...: ingentaconnect
Elephants smart as chimps, dolphins › News in Science (ABC Science)
Elephant brain. Part I: gross morphology, fun... [Brain Res Bull. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
I read the first link and it appeared it was a d3eduction not a proof. They suggest that elephants have the hardware so they must have the capacity. I have the worlds worst memory. If I could remember even 1% of what I have been exposed to no argument would survive a nano-second around me but I can't. I however would bet heavily I can remember more than any elephant. As it is not crucial I will just grant your claim for the heck of it.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Modern day chimps are not our ancestors.
I know. There is some mysterious creature that is still missing that produced chimps on one branch and us on another. The point did not require genetic accuracy. My point was we are astronomically more advanced that our ancestors or relatives even if we grant we have relatives in the animal kingdom. No one knows the name of our actually ancestor reliably so I used chimps as a place holder. Nor is the label meaningful anyway. Lets call our common ancestor X.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I know. There is some mysterious creature that is still missing that produced chimps on one branch and us on another. The point did not require genetic accuracy. My point was we are astronomically more advanced that our ancestors or relatives even if we grant we have relatives in the animal kingdom. No one knows the name of our actually ancestor reliably so I used chimps as a place holder. Nor is the label meaningful anyway. Lets call our common ancestor X.

We arent astronomically more advanced than our relatives, not by default. Chimps are smarter and stronger than us for example.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
This reminds me of another I think we discussed before. I said something about the Cambrian explosion and you ( I think) and others suggested there was plenty of time for the Cambrian development to occur by natural means. Last night I heard a relevant analogy. If the development span of life was condensed to a 24 hour day, for 21 hours of that 24 bacteria type life remained pretty much all there was. The Cambrian produced every major phyla in the next two minutes alone.

Yes, it happened during 20 million years, which is relatively short. But I do not see how this can exclude naturalism. After all, you can pack all evolution from bacteria to us in a couple of decades without having any natural law broken. At least thermodynamical laws.

Actually, I think this is an argument against God. Waiting a couple billion years with protozoah before making up His mind?

Not to talk of all other contingencies that allowed mammals to prosper, getting bigger and evolve primates. Asteroids, earthquakes, vulcanos and the lot. Sure He likes to complicate things after billions years of boredom, if He ever had the final result in mind, as we can expect from a deity that knows what He wants.

My point here is logical not one of preference. In fact it does not even contend with our being non-apes. My position is whether ape or a new species we are astronomically unique. God could have chosen a certain step in evolution to place a spirit in a primate and make him radically different from his ancestors by doing so. I honestly don't care. I only care we have another issue here that can't be explained satisfactorily by materialism alone.

The problem is that there is no evidence of anyone having had a quantum leap of this size within a generation. That would be enough to kill evolution, which is not in discussion, last time I checked. If there is a change, it can still be minor. That does not entail that the long terms effect cannot be major.

The idea that primate X could do most things that his direct parents could not possibly do seems absurd. And has no evidence whatsoever. There must be tiny differences sometimes but surely not in the range you seem to assume. Not enough to justify a soul for them and not their parents, anyway :)

That does not entail that there was not a remote ancestor of X that did not possess this capacity. But this works both ways. We cannot live in water for more than a couple of minutes without oxygen. Our remote ancestors could. And this a much bigger change, still naturally explainable, than a few additional cognitive abilities against our cousins.

I would rather be unique but I really do not care.

Every species is unique. That is why we differentiate among them.

I have tried at least twice to suggest that I am not talking about brain size. That is my point. It does not seem to be genetically related. It is as if similar brains existed but one's capacity was amplified being any natural explanation. I am not saying we are unique by having a big brain. I do not think our brain is the biggest. I am saying out intellectual capacity is light years ahead of everything else. That fits perfectly with theology and doe snot fit with naturalism.

Again this is not a size issue but one of capacity.

Yes, and this is why i added "wiring" to "size".

It did happen geologically over night. For 99.99999% of the 4 billions years or so intellectual capacity made infetesinmally leaps then a millisecond geologically speaking it made a leap that even all the other leaps added together can't compare with.

All you need is a relatively simple adaptation: the capacity to copy, store and reuse other people's ideas. And show it to your kids.

Once you have that, the sky is the limit. Not even the sky, actually. After all exponential curves appear everywhere in nature. They start very slow, can remain low for a long time, and then explode. They always occur when you have positive feedbacks in a retroactive system.

And our capacity of copying, improve and communicate the improvement is a positive feedback in a retroactive system. The negative feedback is provided by a dramatic scarcity of resources which we have not reached, yet.

I do not buy your social creature argument but any kind of critical mass argument is after the fact. It might explain why we have learned more in the last 100 years than all the others but not why we have always been so far advance comparatively.

Well, you should buy it bacause it might be fundamental. And when you say "we" you should not generalize. There are tribes that are still hunting and gathering. The capacity is there, but the context did not ignite significant progress. They are still on the flat part of the exponential curve without reprogramming.

Hit a nut with a hammer and a chimp will understand what you do. Make just the gesture, without a hammer, and it will not. It is possible that this little difference in abstraction is all you need to make the difference.

After all, you know that the difference between an exponentially growing curve and one which is not exponentially growing can be very small. Just a little delta on the value of the basis. From 1 to 1,00000000001, for instance. With the former, is stagnates, with the latter it will grow monotonically. A few little genes difference, maybe.

Equations involving stability, or lack thereof, are ubiqutous in evolution theory. So, no big biological step required and naturalism is still live and kicking.

I just realized I had already responded to you. I will post this one anyway just see if you find any inconstancies.

Yeah. i have the same problem.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So many web pages to choose from. Here's a basic one from Wikipedia on The Origins of Christianity:
I was going to say your going to have to post what claims you want responses to. The bible is the most scrutinized text in history. Entire libraries exist pro and con so links alone are impractical and especially wiki links. I see you quoted from it below so I will address that.

Both Early Christianity and Early Rabbinical Judaism were significantly influenced by Hellenistic religion and Hellenistic philosophy. Christianity in particular inherited many features of Greco-Roman paganism in its structure, its terminology, its cult and its theology...

…Hellenistic culture had a profound impact on the customs and practices of Jews, both in the Land of Israel and in the Diaspora.
This is merely a more detailed declaration of what you said. It is hard to argue with a declaration. I need the explanation of what is being the conclusion not a repeat of the conclusion. I know what your saying, I need the evidence that demonstrates the truth of what your saying. Simply quoting a more involved version of your conclusion does not provide justification for it.

Persian thought influences Jewish thought and then apocalyptic literature after 200 BCE and Christianity and then Islam. Its ideas include the following:
--Hell. The Hebrew concept is of Sheol, translated as "Hell" by the King James scholars…is the common abode of the dead. There is no suffering, torture, punishment, hope, or significant consciousness there, no separation of believers and unbelievers, the "good" from the "bad." All go to a common underground pit, dark, damp, and quite unlike the later concept of Hell as a place of torture. The Persian Hell which influences Christianity is of a river or lake of fire. --Heaven (absent from the Old Testament as a place for the elect or "saved" of believers in general)
Ancient Persian theology is shamanism not paganism. The OT is absolutely packed with types and shadows of concepts revealed in their entirety in the NT with the arrival of Christ. A few examples include the lambs blood on the doorpost diverting the angel of death, Christ being the lamb of God who's blood saves us from second death, the ark and the cross, Jonah in the whale and Christ in the ground, the blood of animals offered once a year by the priest and the blood which Christ shed as high priest once and for all, etc..... This is called progressive revelation. Mankind like a child as it advances is given more and more detailed truth. So that explains the differences between school and Hell and the like.

I have read quite a bit on ancient Persian theology. For example the book of Enoch and it are very closely tied in to other things but commonality is not plagiarism. Most faiths include flood stories. That suggests a flood occurred not that one myth copied another. I believe based on what can be verified about the bible that it is the most accurate version of it but others may have versions without anyone plagiarizing anything. For example the watchers are common to both the bible and Persian shamanism even down to details and this one I happen to have found was borrowed from common events not common myths or so the little data suggests. Ancient Persian history is intertwined with Adam's descendants so I would expect to find common themes in both. This one is the most interesting of your "supposed" borrowing sources. I can only really do anything meaningful with one at a time. I would suggest you pick this one but it is your choice.

--A Satanic figure who is the enemy of God (absent from the Old Testament). Ahriman, called also Angra Mainyu, is the "Evil Spirit" in Zoroastrianism, at war with God, Abura Mazda. Ahriman is a model for the inter-testament and New Testament writers in depicting Satan. In Persian Zoroastrianism, Ahriman is the Great Serpent, who is cast out of heaven. The image of Satan's falling into Hell also has its roots in the Babylonian fall of the angels concept… The story of Lucifer is partly a story about misunderstandings of Hebrew references to the morning star in Isaiah (14:12-15). The early Christians and Jesus in Luke identify the image of Shaher in Isaiah (14:12-15) with a new view of Satan, borrowed largely from Persia, of Satan as the enemy of God. This fusion and confusion contributes to the process of myth syncretism in forming the myth of Satan. The story is more interesting than this, however, for apparently the writer of Isaiah borrowed his language and images from a previous source written several hundred years earlier.The Canaanite source for Isaiah, Albright suggests (Albright 232. Qtd. from Albright by Walker 551)), reads, "How has thou fallen from heaven, Helel's son Shaher! Thou didst say in thy heart, I will ascend to heaven, about the circumpolar stars will raise my throne, and I will dwell on the Mount of council in the back of the north; I will mount on the back of a cloud, I will be like unto Elyon."
I would suggest you watch a debate of Parallelism with DR James White. Parallelism IMO is much like evolution as a total explanation. As long as you do not look too closely at it seems very plausible. It is when you really narrow into any specific area where the cracks all appear and the whole structures implodes. This subject would require quite a bit of time and maybe more than posts can handle. I would like to save much of that time by your watching that debate. However I will list some issues that need to be kept in mind when evaluating claims or plagiarizing.

1. Theologies deal with similar issues so naturally they will contain similar concepts. For example the after life, a good place, a bad place, morality, judgment, etc..... would be present in most theologies without having to borrow them from another. It would be like me suggesting Einstein stole relativity from Newton because they both use math.
2. Even if some borrowing happened you must show two things the bible was the borrower and that it borrowed something incorrect. It is not persuasive to suggest two faiths contain a personification of evil in a personal being.
3. The period in which the NT was composed was probably the most intolerant in Israel's history. They had a long history of adopting the practices of other faiths and suffering unimaginably for it. Being chosen is a two edged sword. I am talking Armageddon type events. By the time Christ came along they were intolerant of anything foreign and kicked anyone who even had a non traditional interpretation out. That is how the Essenes came to store the dead sea scrolls and why Muhammad's Hebrew history was so flawed. Anyone who did not hold traditional views was kicked out.
4. Paul being the most educated in Hebrew law and the OT of any apostle was also so zealous for the integrity of what he thought to be the case he would even kill to preserve it was also the one who wrote most of the NT. No indication exists for thinking he arbitrarily recorded anything or would have borrowed from anything.

These are not specific arguments against any specific claim you made but things that should be kept in mind when discussing parallelism. Use this and that debate as a rough starting point for this discussion and please narrow your claims to one or two specific events. Each one requires much work to discover the actual truth.

I hate to have to use that word "incoherent" about something you've said, so I won't. I'll just say, is it possible you're wrong?
Of course it is possible I am wrong. I do not object to using incoherent if it applies. Possibly being wrong and incoherent are not the same thing.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Well, in percentage it must be going down. 2.7 millions (Nevada) new Christians per year is much smaller than about 80 millions more people on earth every year.
No matter how much I explain or plead I just can't seem to get the context across quite often. My statement was in response to one about the faith dying in the glorious light of modern science. As if faith can only be held by ignorance and once the omniscient modern scientists are listened to faith is unjustifiable. I said not only is that not historically accurate, faith produced modern science, and is growing not shrinking. Points about how fast it is growing are not relevant in that context.

Of course, the position that naturalism cannot explain genetic reality is very unscientific. Only a a-priori committment to some invisible spiritual relity can justify that.
Nope it comes from examining natural law and what exists. It either explains it or does not. Your only recourse is to suggest maybe we don't yet know how it can explain it. Now I would allow that even though it is a science of the gaps model and you would not allow me to use it's opposite. Todays science has no convincing explanation for countless facets of reality. It is their claim, not mine, that for every question the answer they arrive at far more they can't. It is as if the more we know the more we find we don't. Abiogenesis or early Darwinism was fine when a cell was a ball of goo, it seems pathetically absurd by our discovering it is actually more complex than the space shuttle. That is not a presumption it is a deduction.

Science does not agree with you. Actually, they already explained a lot of our genetic reality and origin. For instance, we know how new information is created and added completely naturalistically. But there is still work ahead. Next stop: abiogenesis.
If you expect me to believe we have reliably explained genetic evolution in totality or even a majority when we do not even know what is in 90% of the ocean and can't agree what occurred in the most famous battle of the civil war fought not a billion years ago but less than 200 with eyewitness accounts you are mistaken. All I can concede is that evolution has occurred not that even remotely does it alone account for genetic reality. Even evolutionists in just the past few years have constructed radically differing models for the generic process. Massive details are just not on the menu yet.

I can see no matter how boring I claim to find genetics I can never escape discussing it. I guess it is the only half measure partial game in town for non-theists that is not in the most theoretical of science and you have no choice.

Of course I asked, for there is not such a thing as abstract science. It is actually an oxymoron that you probbly just made up. Just call it modern science so we know what you mean.
I am too lazy to make it up. I got it from the title of a book referenced by Dinesh D'Souza on the explosion of science in the renaissance. I confess I have never investigated the term because I really do not care about it. I only used it to separate the kind of science done in what everyone refers to as the scientific revolution with what came before. To avoid yet another semantic technicality call it whatever you wish but Christians more than any and all others were responsible for what is referred to as the scientific revolution or enlightenment.

By the way, you forgot Darwin and Wallace.
Darwin was not a scientist. He was trained in the clergy after be so repulsed by medical school he quit. Don't know Wallace, who was he?

Sure , they were all Christians. But this is obvious since everybody was Christian at that time (with the possible exception of Einstein era, who was not Christian). And since they all came from Europe, they were all white too and most of them wearing funny wigs. That would not entail, of course, that things like white supremacists should not feel threatened by scientific studies that go against their ideas, just because science has been laid out by white people. They should feel threatened, and theists should too.
Not in China, Japan, the middle east, the Americas depending on time frame, or southeast Asia. Sciences exploded exactly where Christianity was concentrated and no where else on even a comparable scale or close to it.

Today, we have much different picture. The scientific and technological explosion of the 20th century has no precedents in the history of humanity. That is really a quantum leap. And where are scientists today? Much higher percentage of atheism than the average population. I think the reason is that the most recent discoveries of science entail that God does not exist, or is, at best, totally irrelevant as explanatory power. Un uninvited guest.
That is certainly true to some extent but the reason is communication not faith or the lack of it. That is what I referred to in another post of yours. I have often wondered why science in very recent times has been dominated by atheism. I have no facts but some guesses. Science has become dominated by money, has become political, and has become very intolerant and exclusive. Maybe that is less consistent with a Christians values.
Like almost everything political the pendulum swings too far. We go way right and get tired of that then swing way left. We may just be in a atheist swing at the moment after a long long period dominated by faith. I can't see any connection between scientific discoveries and faith. 75% of the argument used to defend faith are from science. That is not how a Christian meets God but it has become how we defend him. In just 3 hours last night I heard Strobell who was a lawyer and journalist and an astrophysicist name scientific reasons by the hundreds to have faith. I have three books sitting on my desk at work currently and dozens at home filled with scientific justifications for faith. I can be wrong about why atheism dominates science but it is not because science has challenged faith.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
We arent astronomically more advanced than our relatives, not by default. Chimps are smarter and stronger than us for example.
Yet we keep them in zoos not the other way around. I specifically said intellectually. That is what would be relevant in a theological context. That ability to breath water, be stronger, swing by your tail, or survive in the arctic, etc..... are not theologically relevant characteristics. Intelligence is.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yet we keep them in zoos not the other way around. I specifically said intellectually. That is what would be relevant in a theological context. That ability to breath water, be stronger, swing by your tail, or survive in the arctic, etc..... are not theologically relevant characteristics. Intelligence is.

We have zoos cause of ignorance. Like I said chimps are smarter, probably due to having to survive the hard way all this time. For humans, the smart people get our technology going while the rest of us get lazy using it.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I read the first link and it appeared it was a d3eduction not a proof. They suggest that elephants have the hardware so they must have the capacity. I have the worlds worst memory. If I could remember even 1% of what I have been exposed to no argument would survive a nano-second around me but I can't. I however would bet heavily I can remember more than any elephant. As it is not crucial I will just grant your claim for the heck of it.

You should have continued reading the rest of the links then.

I wouldn't take that bet.

Elephant cognition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Science Is In: Elephants Are Even Smarter Than We Realized [Video] - Scientific American
http://www.elephanttag.org/professional/Publications/Byrne_Bates_Moss_2009.pdf

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No matter how much I explain or plead I just can't seem to get the context across quite often. My statement was in response to one about the faith dying in the glorious light of modern science. As if faith can only be held by ignorance and once the omniscient modern scientists are listened to faith is unjustifiable. I said not only is that not historically accurate, faith produced modern science, and is growing not shrinking. Points about how fast it is growing are not relevant in that context.

I don't know. Atheism seems to be ubiquitous here. Even Christians do not really believe many of their doctrines when pressed hard. What they believe is in the importance of the belief, not necessarily the object thereof. Like someone said, Jesus is an ideal proxy to teach what is good and can even serve as an imaginary baby sitter to teach behavior to kids. Of course, they mean the meek version, not the avanger one.

Maybe I m biased by being European.

Nope it comes from examining natural law and what exists. It either explains it or does not. Your only recourse is to suggest maybe we don't yet know how it can explain it. Now I would allow that even though it is a science of the gaps model and you would not allow me to use it's opposite. Todays science has no convincing explanation for countless facets of reality. It is their claim, not mine, that for every question the answer they arrive at far more they can't. It is as if the more we know the more we find we don't. Abiogenesis or early Darwinism was fine when a cell was a ball of goo, it seems pathetically absurd by our discovering it is actually more complex than the space shuttle. That is not a presumption it is a deduction.

You make the assumption that the first replicants were as complex as a today's cell.

If you expect me to believe we have reliably explained genetic evolution in totality or even a majority when we do not even know what is in 90% of the ocean and can't agree what occurred in the most famous battle of the civil war fought not a billion years ago but less than 200 with eyewitness accounts you are mistaken. All I can concede is that evolution has occurred not that even remotely does it alone account for genetic reality. Even evolutionists in just the past few years have constructed radically differing models for the generic process. Massive details are just not on the menu yet.

Sure, but the mechanism is very simple. Random change, selection, transmission. This is how new information can be selected, added and preserved.
I think it is not only possible, but necessary once you have replicators that transmit their building recepy to their offsprings.

That is what life is. A slightly disturbed communication channel that can opportunistically create "better" phenotypes.

Even if you don't believe that this can account for the complexity we observe, I don't see how you can refute this simple algorithm as an engine to provide new information without a designer.

I can see no matter how boring I claim to find genetics I can never escape discussing it. I guess it is the only half measure partial game in town for non-theists that is not in the most theoretical of science and you have no choice.

Well, then you should suspend judgement or accept the scientific orthodoxy, in the interest of intellectual honesty. I find the history of medieval chinese theater also quite boring, but I can very well expect to be called out if I start arguing about it and come out with explanations that, mutatis mutandis, are equivalent to your version of evolution based on kinds.

I am too lazy to make it up. I got it from the title of a book referenced by Dinesh D'Souza on the explosion of science in the renaissance. I confess I have never investigated the term because I really do not care about it. I only used it to separate the kind of science done in what everyone refers to as the scientific revolution with what came before. To avoid yet another semantic technicality call it whatever you wish but Christians more than any and all others were responsible for what is referred to as the scientific revolution or enlightenment.

Well, I doubt this D'Souza is a scientist, obviously. Who is he by the way? Sounds portuguese or brazilian.

Darwin was not a scientist. He was trained in the clergy after be so repulsed by medical school he quit. Don't know Wallace, who was he?

Well, Faraday had basically no formal scientific education, either. So, technically, he was not a scientist either, if you are so obsessed with education.

The importance of Darwin cannot be underestimated. He made what is probably the most influential discovery, ever. That is why his face is printed on English pounds and he shares the same burial place with Newton.

A.R.Wallace came at the same conclusions of Darwin at about the same time.

Not in China, Japan, the middle east, the Americas depending on time frame, or southeast Asia. Sciences exploded exactly where Christianity was concentrated and no where else on even a comparable scale or close to it.

There is a nice book of J. Diamond explaining why all this exploded in Europe and not, say, China which was also relatively advanced. In a nutshell: wars and strong competition between different powers packed in a relatively small place. Nevertheless, this fact does not entail that science cannot be corrosive of religious belief. i think it is. It is also corrosive of alchemy, a Newton's darling.

That is certainly true to some extent but the reason is communication not faith or the lack of it. That is what I referred to in another post of yours. I have often wondered why science in very recent times has been dominated by atheism. I have no facts but some guesses. Science has become dominated by money, has become political, and has become very intolerant and exclusive. Maybe that is less consistent with a Christians values.
Like almost everything political the pendulum swings too far. We go way right and get tired of that then swing way left. We may just be in a atheist swing at the moment after a long long period dominated by faith. I can't see any connection between scientific discoveries and faith. 75% of the argument used to defend faith are from science. That is not how a Christian meets God but it has become how we defend him. In just 3 hours last night I heard Strobell who was a lawyer and journalist and an astrophysicist name scientific reasons by the hundreds to have faith. I have three books sitting on my desk at work currently and dozens at home filled with scientific justifications for faith. I can be wrong about why atheism dominates science but it is not because science has challenged faith.

I don't think it follows. Waht is so special about a Christian meeting God? I guess you must first have met God in order to qualify as a Christian. Every theist meets her own God, which raises serious questions about the plausibility of such meetings.

And many things are motivated by money and power. That still does not explain why scientists are singled out as a statistically anomaly.

I think the reason is much simpler. The fact that the methodological naturalistic assumption worked so well after all this time, provides confidence that all there is is natural. After all, I am not aware of any progress being made by whomever holds the position that God did it and we should stop right there.

Truth is: all the successfull endeavours of humanity you are so proud of, are based on the assumption that naturalism is true.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
...This is called progressive revelation. Mankind like a child as it advances is given more and more detailed truth...
I have read quite a bit on ancient Persian theology.
Sorry to do this to you again, but what do you think of this guy's claims on the influence of Zoroastrianism on Judaism. I'm leaning toward believing more towards his view, but I'm open to what you have to say. I've got to go right now. I'll be back and comment on progressive revelation.
ZOROASTRIANISM

"Now it was from this very creed of Zoroaster that the Jews derived all the angelology of their religion...the belief in a future state; of rewards and punishments, ...the soul's immortality, and the Last Judgment - all of them essential parts of the Zoroastrian scheme…"
FROM ENCYCLOPEDIA AMERICANA : "First, the figure of Satan, originally a servant of God, appointed by Him as His prosecutor, came more and more to resemble Ahriman, the enemy of God. Secondly, the figure of the Messiah…evolved, in Deutero-Isaiah for instance, into a universal Savior very similar to the Iranian Saoshyant. Other points of comparison between Iran and Israel include the doctrine of the millennia; the Last Judgment; the heavenly book in which human actions are inscribed; the Resurrection; the final transformation of the earth; paradise on earth or in heaven; and hell." by J. Duchesne-Guillemin, University of Liege, Belgium

MONOTHEISM
Fundamentally the Jews were polytheists. But whatever its date, the idea of the covenant tells us that the Israelites were not yet monotheists…The full monotheistic conception of God came later (Isaiah 43:10-13, Jer 10:1-16). The second Isaiah juxtaposes the great Persian King Cyrus with the first monotheistic declarations in the Bible. The second Isaiah is the first expression of universalism which has no antecedent in the Bible, according to the Anchor Bible note at Isaiah 45. He also first introduces the idea of false gods - a fundamental and indispensable criteria for monotheism. A universal God determines that only one is worshiped; a tribal god, of necessity, implies polytheism since there are other tribes. Before the exile, God was a vengeful, bloodthirsty, and jealous anthropomorphic tribal God of fear. After the exile, He became a good, perfect, remote, and universal God of love: identical to Ahura-Mazda. It needed the subsequent missions of Nehemiah and Ezra backed by the Achaemenian Imperial Government's authority to make the Jews ruefully conform to the new ideal of monotheism.
EZRA, THE SUBVERTER OF JUDAISM
In 397 B.C. Ezra, a courtier of the Persian king, was sent from Babylon "to teach in Israel statutes and ordinances" (Ezra 7:10). Ezra had been born and educated as a divine reader in Babylon and was sent by Artaxerxes to see if the people of Judea "be agreeable to the law of God". There are explicit indications of widespread religious conversion in Ezra 6:19-21 and Nehemiah 10:28-29, but why would Jews have to convert to Judaism? Nehemiah, chapter 8, discusses an event where Ezra read from the book of law which neither Hebrew speakers nor Aramaic speakers could understand - the words had to be translated by priests. What strange language could Ezra have been reading, Avestan maybe? Ezra's major reform was the prohibition of foreign wives. Although marrying foreign wives had always been the most favored Jewish practice, such marriages violate Zoroastrian law (e.g. Denkard, Book 3, ch 80). The alien nature of other laws to the Jews shows itself in the distinction between clean and unclean animals in Leviticus and Ezekial which was derived from the Vendidad, a Zoroastrian holy book, where alone it is explained. The purification rituals are identical in the Pentateuch and the older Vendidad. Von Gall in Brasileia tou Theou, 1926, gives a detailed catalog of Jewish laws taken from the Persians. Ezra also introduced the new festival of booths in the seventh month, which is of course the Zoroastrian holiday of Ayathrem. Finally, in about 400 B.C. the Old Testament was put in written form when Jerusalem was still under the power of the Persians.
SADDUCEES VS PHARISEES
The Jews greatly resisted the imposition of Zoroastrianism charading as Judaism. The construction of the temple designed by the great Persian king Cyrus for the Jews was delayed by both political and physical means. "The true Israelis" built their own temple on MT. Gerizim and wrote Jerusalem out of their Pentateuch. So, whatever the Persian governors and priests were doing in Jersusalem in the name of Judaism, it caused a great schism. The Sadducees, the 'purists', made up over 97% of the population and believed in "no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit" (Acts 23:8) - in a word, no Persian ideas. The Pharisees or Persian faction - Pharisee, Parsee, Farsi - never numbered very high, not more than 6,000, although only Pharisaism survived the fall of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
This is called progressive revelation.
Hi, I'm back. The first time I heard of "progressive revelation," it was from the Baha'is. They believe all religions are part of the "progressive revelation." Until this forum, I had never heard it used by Christians. What I don't like about it, for both you and them, is that religions have different and conflicting beliefs. Them with all the religions. You with Judaism. So that's why I lean more toward thinking that all people borrowed ideas from each other and slowly, over billions of years, no, not really, but over time, they evolved their religion.

For me this makes more sense than believing that one, the Jews, were the only ones with the "true" Word of God. And then, after Jesus, their Word of God got itself "progressed" into Christianity. But then, look at Christianity itself, there has been a "progression," or an "evolving," of interpretations and beliefs and the formation of new denominations and sects.

Oh, and one more thing fron the article in my last post. When he says:
Before the exile, God was a vengeful, bloodthirsty, and jealous anthropomorphic tribal God of fear. After the exile, He became a good, perfect, remote, and universal God of love: identical to Ahura-Mazda.
To me, that's very possible. That, again, would show an evolving of beliefs, the Hebrew tribal God "evolving" into the one "true" God. That would, in a way, solve the problem we're having here on this thread. The Hebrews, with their
belief in their tribal God, said that their God ordered the killings. But God has evolved from that. The God we believe in today, the nice one, would never do such a thing.

Some Christians, of course, have a problem. They have to believe in the whole Bible. They have to find a way to justify and make sense of some of the things attributed to God. I, on the other hand, don''t. I think people have made up myths and legends, heroes and prophets and have taken the best ideas around and added them into their religion.

For example, since the basic Christian message, what has happened to Christianity? Catholicism evolved, then Protestantism. Outside of Christianity, there was Islam and, more recently, the Baha'i Faith. If there is one truth, why do things keep changing? I think it's because there is a spiritual reality, but none of us really knows exactly what it is. Some forms of Christianity has stripped down and gotten back to the bare bones of what they believe Christianity should be. To me, that is still a type of "evolving." And it's not exclusive to Christianity. All religions have their sects that do that. And they all have their more liberal sects that try to find commonality between all religions. They also all have their offshoot sects that have a new "prophet" with a new purer message. Sorry, but all of it still looks like nobody has it together. All of them are still in a process of evolving or "progressing."