• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't God stop evil, pain and suffering?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Do you believe in heaven as described in teh Bible? If so, I don't think you're gonna like it.....
1) Nope.
2) Even Heaven has the contrast of Hell.

ETA: 3) Is Heaven described in the Bible? I didn't think it was.... :shrug:

Jeremy Mason

I am not sure you understand what a "loaded question" is, but assuming you do....please point out what information is assumed by the question when I ask you about the character of a doctor who withholds a cure for cancer from dying patients.

Another loaded question. Hey Beaudreaux, have you stopped beating your wife? ;)

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
For those who think that an omnimax God should remove evil from the world, where do you draw the line? Should God eliminate the 7 Deadly Sins? Homosexuality? Wicked thoughts? Disobedient children?

How would this not destroy free will?

Jeremy Mason

For those who think that an omnimax God should remove evil from the world, where do you draw the line? Should God eliminate the 7 Deadly Sins? Homosexuality? Wicked thoughts? Disobedient children?

Frubals!!

Luminous

non-existential luminary

:D: You can choose to be good, or be Supergood

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Just injustice, which is about the only thing that can actually be considered "evil", imo. Deities should serve as an example and act upon the values (such as goodness, mercy, justice, etc.) that they're supposed to embody. Otherwise what's the point? If we cannot differentiate the real gods from the fake gods, then why bother worshiping or acknowledging any of them? A non interactive, non intervening god would have no direct purpose or relevance in our lives.

Does law enforcement destroy free will?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Just injustice, which is about the only thing that can actually be considered "evil", imo.
So we would still have "evil" urges, but be unable to act on them?

Deities should serve as an example and act upon the values (such as goodness, mercy, justice, etc.) that they're supposed to embody. Otherwise what's the point? If we cannot differentiate the real gods from the fake gods, then why bother worshiping or acknowledging any of them? A non interactive, non intervening god would have no direct purpose or relevance in our lives.
You know I agree. :p

Does law enforcement destroy free will?
Of course not. Consequences don't negate choice. It's hardly comparable.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
So we would still have "evil" urges, but be unable to act on them?

I don't know. What would you do if you had such power and saw a "ne'er-do-well" descending upon the playground?

Of course not. Consequences don't negate choice. It's hardly comparable.

But police also try to protect and prevent crimes before they occur. If a cop drove down your road and spotted a burglar trying to break in your building, you would probably prefer they apprehended him before he got inside.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I don't know.
It's just, it's kinda like Hell. Superficially appealing, but rather horrific when you stop and think about it.

What would you do if you had such power and saw a "ne'er-do-well" descending upon the playground?
LOL, you really like that phrase, don't you? :p

Anyway, I don't know. For one thing, I try to avoid judging people based on appearances. But if someone raised a red flag, I'd keep an eye on them. What does that have to do with my question?

But police also try to protect and prevent crimes before they occur. If a cop drove down your road and spotted a burglar trying to break in your building, you would probably prefer they apprehended him before he got inside.
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the burglar's choice to break in. Sorry hon, it's just not a good comparison.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Anyway, I don't know. For one thing, I try to avoid judging people based on appearances. But if someone raised a red flag, I'd keep an eye on them. What does that have to do with my question?
But you have the god powers now. You can see into their mind and know their choices and intentions, and knowing what he was planning to do, would you use your god powers to protect the children? Remember that you are still you, just with god powers, and the "ne'er-do-well" has already made his choice and about to act upon it.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the burglar's choice to break in. Sorry hon, it's just not a good comparison.

How would god doing the exact same thing a cop would do (except maybe with lightening bolts) change the "choice" factor?

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
But you have the god powers now. You can see into their mind and know their choices and intentions, and knowing what he was planning to do, would you use your god powers to protect the children? Remember that you are still you, just with god powers, and the "ne'er-do-well" has already made his choice and about to act upon it.
I'd kill him. Not exactly omnibenevolent.

How would god doing the exact same thing a cop would do (except maybe with lightening bolts) change the "choice" factor?
To truly remove evil from the world, God would have to control our very thoughts. That ends free will.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'd kill him. Not exactly omnibenevolent.

But allowing him to prey with impunity wouldn't be omnibenevolent, either.

To truly remove evil from the world, God would have to control our very thoughts. That ends free will.

He wouldn't have to reprogram people's brains, just respond and act on their choices and protect the innocent from them.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Besides, any good parent knows that at some point, you have to let your children make their own mistakes. They'll never grow up if you don't. Which brings us back to my original point.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Perhaps god should just relinquish the powers that he has been squandering unto me and I'll show him and the world how it's really done. :D