• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't God stop evil, pain and suffering?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
My question is, why don't *we* stop evil, pain, and suffering? Why do we always consider it G.d's job to come in and fix the messes we make? Are we not big boys and girls that we can't take responsibility for our own actions?

Of course we humans should be striving to right wrongs and to make the world better with our own hands, but God - being the embodiment of good - you would expect to actually DO a little good instead of being entirely worthless.
Could you find it in yourself to respect someone who had the power to stop a child from being victimized, yet still refused to intervene and save them?

Last edited:

IF_u_knew

Curious
Of course we humans should be striving to right wrongs and to make the world better with our own hands, but God - being the embodiment of good - you would expect to actually DO a little good instead of being entirely worthless.
Could you find it in yourself to respect someone who had the power to stop a child from being victimized, yet still refused to intervene and save them?

Hmmm.. I don't personally view Him as worthless. Seems kind of like a personal problem to me.

It may be that we view G.d differently? I am *of* G.d, therefore it would be up to me to watch my actions and to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. Problem is, the people are all waiting on a savior, no? What would be the point of all of this if we always expected to be rescued? I am sure you will view my answer as heartless and you will be wrong, but I don't see how the blame for what is going on can be attributed to G.d. :confused:

Beaudreaux

My question is, why don't *we* stop evil, pain, and suffering? Why do we always consider it G.d's job to come in and fix the messes we make? Are we not big boys and girls that we can't take responsibility for our own actions?
If I could save the victims of natural disasters and disease, I would. I can't. God can. He doesn't.

Beaudreaux

Hmmm.. I don't personally view Him as worthless. Seems kind of like a personal problem to me.

It may be that we view G.d differently? I am *of* G.d, therefore it would be up to me to watch my actions and to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. Problem is, the people are all waiting on a savior, no? What would be the point of all of this if we always expected to be rescued? I am sure you will view my answer as heartless and you will be wrong, but I don't see how the blame for what is going on can be attributed to G.d. :confused:

• Millions suffer and die because of disease and natural disasters (Asian Tsunami, Smallpox and Hurrican Katrina given as examples)
  • God is all powerful and could have stopped those events from occuring
  • He did not.
How can we not blame him for letting those people suffer and die?

IF_u_knew

Curious
If I could save the victims of natural disasters and disease, I would. I can't. God can. He doesn't.

uhm.. that is nature. How are you viewing that as G.d's fault? I am very naturalistic. I guess I just see nature as a natural way of controlling population. Hurts sometimes, but the more we intervene, the more overpopulated the earth will become, no? The more overpopulated, the more problems. Time to let others have their turn at life. Life is too unnatural now as I view it.

IF_u_knew

Curious
  • Millions suffer and die because of disease and natural disasters (Asian Tsunami, Smallpox and Hurrican Katrina given as examples)
  • God is all powerful and could have stopped those events from occuring
  • He did not.
How can we not blame him for letting those people suffer and die?

How can you? Disease being G.d's fault? How so? Especially when our governments are creating super bugs? Why not place the blame on them?

As far as Katrina? Well, the people are choosing to live in a virtual bowl, no? They have the option to move to a safer area.. how is it G.d's fault that they choose to continue to live in an area that obviously is not ideal?

Why should G.d stop nature? He created it and He created us with intelligence to counteract these things if we choose.

Blame blame blame. My question is, why don't more people take responsibility for themselves?

Freelancer7

....God is fat and bald?

I Guess so!!

John 14:2

breakdown: One would have to have faith in Buddhism, So, Christ was raised went off to prepare a place on earth where the Camp of Saints and Martyrs is/was to be formed, waiting for his Apostles and Spiritual Father to Turn Up, knowing that they were going to be decieved, so the Father has to show a few others he's not messing?!

Farthers houses having many rooms. How many Sports are there in the World as an Example? Is the Father Likely to say I only Love Football all others sports are ****e and are condemned to Hell??!! No of course not

Just a little link on Rebirth http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebirth_(Buddhism)

What Would YOU expect of the Father??? What would YOU expect of the SON, Define what you think the Difference is between your Opinion of God as a Creator of the Universe and the Father????

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

If a god doesn't actually do anything, and is indistinguishable from fake gods, then it is worthless. It has nothing to do with "personal problems", but is rather an honest assessment. I mean just a gnome that doles out postmortem spankings and cookies? Really?

What would be the point of all of this if we always expected to be rescued?
Then let's dispose of doctors, firefighters, law enforcement and courts.

Last edited:

IF_u_knew

Curious
If a god doesn't actually do anything, and is indistinguishable from fake gods, then it is worthless. It has nothing to do with "personal problems", but is rather an honest assessment. I mean just a gnome that dolls out postmortem spankings and cookies? Really?

I guess I just have a different view point is all. I don't see him as indistinguishable at all, but if that is your view point, then I could understand your question. Trust me, I have asked the same questions that you did.

I am sure you remember the tsunami that shocked the world. THAT hurt!! There are personal stories that came out of that and the feelings I felt will last my life time, more than I can express to you. There were many hard decisions made by parents that I hope to never be faced with in my lifetime. But why would I blame G.d for that? I don't know what caused that tsunami and I will admit to having my suspicions elsewhere.

What were you expecting? His hand to reach down? Where would it be reaching from? I have no real comprehension of G.d. I can say from my own personal searching that I have found Him, but what good does that do for you and what good will it do for me to blame Him for His creation? It is like blaming Him for death, no? What would happen if there was no death? I would think the consequences for such would be much more inconceivable if everyone who ever lived on this earth to still be living.

Then let's dispose of doctors, firefighters, law enforcement and courts.
I know I will not find favor for saying this, but I do want to be honest. I am not in total disagreement with the above. Just my opinion. Obviously most don't agree with me and look at where it has taken us? You will never be happy if you keep thinking this way, right?

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

So let me get this straight. Someone laid this line on you that God is all-loving and he lets children die of cancer and allows millions to die of painful diseases, all of which he could prevent, and you should not ask why?

No, I said that we shouldn't say who goes to Heaven or Hell, that's God decision. Try paying attention to the questions you ask. :sarcastic
Wow. Every question I ask you about your faith is loaded or silly or has some other quality that causes you to refuse to answer.

Jeremy, I honestly don't understand why you're participating in a forum called "Religious Debates" when you refuse to get into the topics or even answer simple questions. Are there any questions you feel comfortble answering?

That's because most of them are loaded, silly and I'm better than that to engage in stupid dialog.

Look, I've given you sincere and heart felt answers to some of your question and apparently that wasn't good enough for you. I have a little over 3000 post here at this forum and if you ask the regulars around here they will tell you that I a very nice person to talk to, but when confronted with the types of questions like yours, I typically respond with sarcasm because it's fun and people who ask such questions deserve it. :p

Here, I'll try one. Jeremy, why is God so awesome?

Because the rewards that his chosen ones receive far, far outweigh any pain and suffering we endure here on earth. I can go on and on, but I think that answers the OP.

Jeremy Mason

Look, the fact that I beat my wife has nothing to do with this. Is it my fault she just doesn't listen sometimes?

I obviously don't know how to get an answer out of you. Best of luck.

Send my regards to your wife. I'm sure she understands "first hand" what it's like to be in the company of someone who can't see the forest for the tree.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
It is like blaming Him for death, no? What would happen if there was no death? I would think the consequences for such would be much more inconceivable if everyone who ever lived on this earth to still be living.

this does not work ofcourse. God could have created a perfect world with ease. There does not have to be pain, deatch or tears of sorrow.

In fact, a certain God did make a perfect world. His only flaw was to allow snakes in his park..
But seriously, we are only "used" to death because it's a fact..

IF_u_knew

Curious
this does not work ofcourse. God could have created a perfect world with ease. There does not have to be pain, deatch or tears of sorrow.

In fact, a certain God did make a perfect world. His only flaw was to allow snakes in his park..
But seriously, we are only "used" to death because it's a fact..

And so since it is a fact, what more do you all want? I would love for all of my family to be alive. For those who I have loved and respected to be here with me now; but how would that work for everyone in the world to have that wish? Where would we fit them all? Life = death. Does that not seem logical? What are you proposing if death were not part of the package? Could you imagine living forever? Would you not get bored? I am not against reincarnation.. starting from scratch.. but if we were all aware all the time, then what? And where would we fit everyone?

Last edited:

Jeremy Mason

And so since it is a fact, what more do you all want? I would love for all of my family to be alive. For those who I have loved and respected to be here with me now; but how would that work for everyone in the world to have that wish? Where would we fit them all? Life = death. Does that not seem logical? What are you proposing if death were not part of the package? Could you imagine living forever? Would you not get bored? I am not against reincarnation.. starting from scratch.. but if we were all aware all the time, then what? would you not get bored? And where would we fit everyone?

Well obviously God didn't make the world big enough for everyone. Jeez, what an incompetent God He is to allow His will over ours. Who does He think He is, GOD. We are the smart ones, not Him. We have all the answers because, hey, look at...the...world......we........have.........oh $hiii....never mind. :D

IF_u_knew

Curious
Well obviously God didn't make the world big enough for everyone. Jeez, what an incompetent God He is to allow His will over ours. Who does He think He is, GOD. We are the smart ones, not Him. We have all the answers because, hey, look at...the...world......we........have.........oh $hiii....never mind. :D

Apparently we do have the answers.. and we are at no fault of our own here in this world. Everything that has gone wrong has nothing to do with us. Gah! How dare G.d cause all of the pain and heartache. My bad.. what was I thinking? ;)

idea

Question Everything
Well obviously God didn't make the world big enough for everyone...

Have you gone on a road trip lately? Wide open land as far as you can see...

My f.i.l. had 6 kids, people used to raz him about population problems, and he used to tell them "My kids rae going to solve that problem". Sure enough, my husband at least is doing work to help provide for the world's energy needs. Also another project that turns salt water into fresh water with nothing more than a pump and a great big tube. I have hope for the next generations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
This thread is hopeless.
I posted an answer back on page 8, people don’t want an answer though, they just want someone to blame for their problems - you know, so they don't have to take any responsibility for themselves.

Last edited:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
And so since it is a fact, what more do you all want? I would love for all of my family to be alive. For those who I have loved and respected to be here with me now; but how would that work for everyone in the world to have that wish? Where would we fit them all? Life = death. Does that not seem logical? What are you proposing if death were not part of the package? Could you imagine living forever? Would you not get bored? I am not against reincarnation.. starting from scratch.. but if we were all aware all the time, then what? And where would we fit everyone?

Overpopulation is only a problem in this realm. If a God would make us live forever, he would probably take away birth or limit in space.

What, loads of people believe in a heaven where everybody gets together, but God can't make a pre-heaven in that concept?
I can't get bored without boredom, so if he takes that away..
If a god can make a heaven, that he can also place that heaven here on earth..

IF_u_knew

Curious
Overpopulation is only a problem in this realm. If a God would make us live forever, he would probably take away birth or limit in space.

What, loads of people believe in a heaven where everybody gets together, but God can't make a pre-heaven in that concept?
I can't get bored without boredom, so if he takes that away..
If a god can make a heaven, that he can also place that heaven here on earth..

Hmm... I kinda like the whole birth thing. To see that newborn baby come into existence is a beautiful thing. I would gladly give up my place for a newborn to be able to come in and experience.. yes, both good and bad. It is an adventure.. take away the adventure, and it just would not quite have the same meaning.

I guess I am just thankful for what is in front of me. I don't blame G.d and maybe it is because of that that I see the wonder in all of His creation. Must suck to not be satisfied, huh? What makes you think you would be satisfied with getting things your way?