• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't God stop evil, pain and suffering?

Freelancer7

Heaven is Earth, the camp of saints and martys, perhpas it exists, the True Holy City that is, over time it is for the healing of the nations, reincarnation and all that....whooops just woke up, i was dreaming, i think???

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I don't understand why you think such a world is impossible. If you are a Christian, don't you believe that such a place has already been prepared for you? Do you believe in Heaven?
I didn't even imply that it was impossible. Or if I did, I didn't mean to. I believe God could have made such a world. I just need you to answer my questions before I try to make sense of your OP.

Beaudreaux

I didn't even imply that it was impossible. Or if I did, I didn't mean to. I believe God could have made such a world. I just need you to answer my questions before I try to make sense of your OP.
Alright. An all-powerful, all-benevolent God would make a world where there was no suffering, no evil, no death and no sin.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Alright. An all-powerful, all-benevolent God would make a world where there was no suffering, no evil, no death and no sin.
You've made a bunch of generalizations, which is pretty typical of people making the argument you pose in the OP. Unfortunately, you still haven't addressed my specific questions, all of which were entirely reasonable. I'd appreciate it if you at least gave it your best shot. If you're not willing to do that, then let's just go with what you've said in this post. How do you suggest that God eliminate evil and sin? Would only perfect people inhabit this perfect world you envision? Have you ever known such a person?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Imagine that? the world would be cramped. People HAVE to die. Its all part of the never ending cycle.
Oh, I agree completely. I hope you didn't think that this was my position. But at what age should they die? What is the optimal age to suddenly, without notice, die? (I'm assuming death would have to come without our anticipating it, since there would be no disease or natural deterioration of the body in this perfect world.) Also, what about the people left behind? If they loved the person who died, wouldn't they be sad to see him die? Sadness is certain not a pleasurable thing, but the only way it could be eliminated would be if there was no love at all. Again, that wouldn't be so great a thing either. Kind of a Catch-22, huh?

Beaudreaux

How do you suggest that God eliminate evil and sin? Would only perfect people inhabit this perfect world you envision? Have you ever known such a person?

Do you believe in heaven? Because I think I am describing the Christian heaven. Correct me if I'm wrong. How will God eliminate evil and sin in heaven? Or are you saying He can't do it?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Do you believe in heaven? Because I think I am describing the Christian heaven. Correct me if I'm wrong. How will God eliminate evil and sin in heaven? Or are you saying He can't do it?
I'll tell you what, Beaudreaux... You answer my questions, then I'll answer yours. Fair enough?

Beaudreaux

You've made a bunch of generalizations, which is pretty typical of people making the argument you pose in the OP. Unfortunately, you still haven't addressed my specific questions, all of which were entirely reasonable. I'd appreciate it if you at least gave it your best shot. If you're not willing to do that, then let's just go with what you've said in this post.
I believe I have answered every one of your questions in my response. I am sorry you do not see that. Let's take a look:

My response to you says "An all-powerful, all-benevolent God would make a world where there was no suffering, no evil, no death and no sin."
Beaudreaux,

Exactly which bad things should God prevent from happening? Earthquakes, hurricanes, all forms of disease, poverty, war, genocide, murders, unrequited love, kids falling down and skinning their knees?
No suffering, no evil, no death no sin means God should prevent all of your scenarios and more.
Let's start by deciding what specifically God should make right, and why He should do this.
He should make everything right. Why? Because He is supposedly all powerful and all loving.
Who should He keep bad things from happening to? Everybody?
Yes. No suffering, no evil, no death no sin
Just bad people, i.e. the ones who deserve bad things to happen to them?
What bad people? No suffering, no evil, no death no sin
Who should He let die? Just old people who are sick (Oh, wait! Nobody's supposed to get sick!)? Young people, too, then? Or maybe nobody should ever die.
Right! No suffering, no evil, no death no sin
We should all just go on living forever in a perfect world where nothing bad ever happens.
Sounds.....oh what's the word?....Heavenly? ;)
How do you suggest that God eliminate evil and sin?
If only he was all powerful and could do ANYthing....
Would only perfect people inhabit this perfect world you envision?
The same type of people who will live forever in heaven will inhabit this world
Have you ever known such a person?
Well, my second wife came close, but then she ran off with one of her "clients".

Now, please be true to your word and answer my question.

Last edited:

Freelancer7

If In a Human Body, How long would you give them, Father and Son in two seperate bodies, I doubt it could be acheived overnight so is for the Camp of Saints and Martyrs??!!

Freelancer7

Can you meditate Beaudreaux?? And if so would you be up for a Meditation session in your own place of comfort by yoursef if organised, of course you could have chosen friends to join you if you so chose. The Art of Meditation is to focus the ears on the Heart, while clearing the mind of all thoughts, imagine your nose touching a blackboard and just seeing the darkness in front of you, focus on that then let your ears concentrate on your heart. Up for a session???

Freelancer7

also quote: How will God eliminate evil and sin in heaven? Or are you saying He can't do it?

What I am saying if Father and Son were on earth in Physical Bodies, how long would you give them to start eliminating Evil and Sin and creating Heaven on Earth????

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Now, please be true to your word and answer my question. Do you believe in heaven? Because I think I am describing the Christian heaven. Correct me if I'm wrong. How will God eliminate evil and sin in heaven? Or are you saying He can't do it?
I'm assuming this is the question you're referring to. Yes, I believe in Heaven, but it's not the kind of place most Christians would describe. I'm not convinced you really care about my view of Heaven, but it will be pretty different from Earth.

I still don't see why God would eliminate all sin and evil from the world. I don't understand what point there would be to an existance where no one even realized how good they had it. As I mentioned in my one example, the only reason you mourn someone who dies is because you loved him. The only way to remove grief from our existance is to remove love, and a world without love doesn't sound all that perfect to me. Of course, as you said, God could remove death, too, but along with that, He'd have to remove aging. If a world with a few trillion people, all the same age, all with the same abilities and with no challenges or opportunities to overcome those challenges sounds like a perfect place to you, maybe we just have a different concept of what perfection is.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No suffering, no evil, no death no sin means God should prevent all of your scenarios and more. He should make everything right. Why? Because He is supposedly all powerful and all loving.
But, Beaudreaux, I've already asked how you expect God to do that without mind control.

Beaudreaux

Yes, I believe in Heaven, but it's not the kind of place most Christians would describe.
But is it like the place I describe? Specifically, in the heaven you believe in, is there any suffering, evil, death or sin?
I'm not convinced you really care about my view of Heaven, but it will be pretty different from Earth.
I DO care about your view of heaven. I am trying to point out that your indignace that I would suggest that God make a perfect world is hypocritical since, if you believe in heaven, you already believe God could make a perfect world.