• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don’t you believe in God?

F1fan

Veteran Member
But @Copernicus isn't wrong. You simply dismissed his statement and offered no explanation as to why you think he is wrong.

Have you ever looked into gods on your own terms?
To rational minds the terms are critical thinking, and following evidence. This includes examining the self's own social/cultural experience and wht influence it has on the mind that is subconscious. Cultural norms are adopted by social exprience, and this includes ideas that are not factual or true objectively. Religion is inconsistent globally, and god concepts differ greatly. There are about 200 creator gods in human history, including the ods that created the Hawaian Islands. Critical thinkers can understand that these stories and beliefs are not true.

Replace the word explained with detected if that’ll help you Understand my simpleton question
Yet you have no explanation how humans detect gods. This is a serious flaw in your case. It is some sort of extrasensory perception? You don't say. You can't refute the likelihood that what you think you detect is really just your mind inventing experiences. Humans create fantasies quite easily. An undisciplined mind that has anxiety may not only create a fantasy, but also deceve the self that it's real. We suspend reality when we want to. We do so when watching movies, and cry at the sad ending, or get scared when the killer is stalking the victim. It's just a movie, and we know it's all fake, yet we become emotonally absorbed and set aside our awareness of reality.
Exactly My point! science doesn’t explain God because there’s no evidence
Yet you think you detect one, and can't explain how it's not imagined.

We don't know of any gods existing, but we do know humans can believe in unreal things.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
But @Copernicus isn't wrong. You simply dismissed his statement and offered no explanation as to why you think he is wrong.

To rational minds the terms are critical thinking, and following evidence. This includes examining the self's own social/cultural experience and wht influence it has on the mind that is subconscious. Cultural norms are adopted by social exprience, and this includes ideas that are not factual or true objectively. Religion is inconsistent globally, and god concepts differ greatly. There are about 200 creator gods in human history, including the ods that created the Hawaian Islands. Critical thinkers can understand that these stories and beliefs are not true.

Yet you have no explanation how humans detect gods. This is a serious flaw in your case. It is some sort of extrasensory perception? You don't say. You can't refute the likelihood that what you think you detect is really just your mind inventing experiences. Humans create fantasies quite easily. An undisciplined mind that has anxiety may not only create a fantasy, but also deceve the self that it's real. We suspend reality when we want to. We do so when watching movies, and cry at the sad ending, or get scared when the killer is stalking the victim. It's just a movie, and we know it's all fake, yet we become emotonally absorbed and set aside our awareness of reality.

Yet you think you detect one, and can't explain how it's not imagined.

We don't know of any gods existing, but we do know humans can believe in unreal things.
I feel ya

RestlessSoul

Explain me this: If I have to search, but I can't use books and can't use other humans, because they have preconceived ideas, then what am I going to search?

Where every search begins and ends? Within yourself...

“Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
― C.G. Jung

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Where every search begins and ends? Within yourself...

“Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
― C.G. Jung

Well, yes. But it is still happening in culture as far as I can tell. But I get the point.

Pogo

Is it because of your inability to believe in anything that can’t be explained by science?
Oh there is a god, there are lots of them and the one we got is the smart aleck punk in 2nd year universe creation class.
She said I'm bored, never mind these Omni rules, I'm going to have fun and set up a universe to generate sentient beings who max out at an inkling of this experiment and saddle them with all sorts of random stuff and wait to see how long it takes them to either kill themselves off from arguing about the nature of gods or just realize that I don't care and what they make of their space is up to them.

It'll be fun to watch!! :cool::p:p:innocent:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Is it because of your inability to believe in anything that can’t be explained by science?
For me, I grew discontent with my parents religion so I tried various others and studied even more. I couldn't find one that satisfied my desire for truth. So I began a multi-year search for truth and I'm satisfied with my results.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How much time do you spend on pixie forums?
There are none. If there were, I'm sure they would be entertaining. The flat earthers are a hoot as well.

There is a forum for a band called the Pixies:

1716226451624.png

Evidence needed
Yes, a skeptic and empiricist needs sufficient evidence to justify belief.
i’m a little confused. So what you’re saying is evidence is needed.?
For an empiricist, yes.
Exactly My point! science doesn’t explain God because there’s no evidence
And my point is that without that, the empiricist has no reason to believe that gods or any other insufficiently evidenced idea represents reality.
Have you looked into the benefits before dismissing them?
Yes. The benefit came from having no god belief and being content without one.
Your logic is your opinion
You seem to think that any kind of thinking a person chooses is just as valid as any other as if valid reasoning were subjective. If so, that's incorrect. It is also the kind of thinking that underlies the Dunning-Kruger phenomenon, as with, "That's just your opinion" said in response to a demonstrably correct argument.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Yeah, but the thread starter apparently left the thread and started a new one, as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure why he started this one, since he didn't really seem interested in the answers. In any case, I'm going to remove it from my watch list, and I don't intend to try to engage him in his new threads.