• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don’t you believe in God?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
It doesn't matter. Squirrels ain't talking about it and it's not a strawman argument. You're making it one.
Yet you are the one desperately hoping squirrels and bluejays will talk to you like you seem to think they tlk to me.

So yeah, it is you with strawmen.
Better hurry and beat up on them before they fall down.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
really?
So you have changed your mind?
Who/what do you believe did it now?

Perhaps you should go back to your deity and get better answers?
You're making things up. Gorillas don't publish treatises or analytics on how DNA works. Those little kitty bitty genetic differences make a whole lot of differences from bonobos to humans. A whole lot.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Yet you are the one desperately hoping squirrels and bluejays will talk to you like you seem to think they tlk to me.

So yeah, it is you with strawmen.
Better hurry and beat up on them before they fall down.
Lol I don't think so. Who knows, maybe a few will speak to you . Take care. Bye for now,

McBell

Admiral Obvious
You're making things up. Gorillas don't publish treatises or analytics on how DNA works. Those little kitty bitty genetic differences make a whole lot of differences from bonobos to humans. A whole lot.
you did not address the points in the post you responded to.

Care to try again:

Really?​
So you have changed your mind?​
Who/what do you believe did it now?​

Pogo

I really don't think they are too interested. You gotta wonder how come evolution made ((created?? Oh no...) that rather large gap between gorillas, birds, monkeys, etc and "homo sapiens" being willing/able to examine things. Well maybe you don't. It was evolution I guess you think that made humans' brains to wonder about these things and do their bestest to figure things out, huh?
Yeah, humans are weak, slow, we can't fly. we can barely swim and our offspring can't survive on their own without years of protective help. whatever was that designer thinking?

Pogo

And your evidence that our interpretation is wrong?
Crickets.
I don't have any but it is just to much for my tiny human brain to understand?
Well it doesn't make me feel all warm and squishy?

Do you have anything that isn't based on ignorance or wishful thinking?

For one who claims to be of the ultimate thinking species, you might make an effort to demonstrate it.

Madsaac

Is it because of your inability to believe in anything that can’t be explained by science?
Well yes, I believe God is made up but it's not the only reason I don't believe. I don't feel a need to believe, if it made me feel more happy and content then I might believe.

I think I'm 'happier' because I believe things come about 'naturally' rather then by a God, it's more satisfying.

Last edited:

gnostic

The Lost One
A question (or more) for you, @King Phenomenon

What make you think that all atheists turned away from their religions because of “science”?

Perhaps it was their religions that failed them in their times of needs or for any other possible reasons that have nothing to with science?

You are generalising all atheists as if they stop believing because of “science”.

The problem they have with theism could simply be just a lack of belief in any god’s existence, or it could be their local clergy have failed them, or the religious leaders were corrupted, or their god(s) failed to answer their prayers for failing to save their love ones, etc.

there could be any numbers of reasons why a theist would become an atheist.

Jimmy

Veteran Member

What make you think that all atheists turned away from their religions because of “science”?

Perhaps it was their religions that failed them in their times of needs or for any other possible reasons that have nothing to with science?

You are generalising all atheists as if they stop believing because of “science”.

The problem they have with theism could simply be just a lack of belief in any god’s existence, or it could be their local clergy have failed them, or the religious leaders were corrupted, or their god(s) failed to answer their prayers for failing to save their love ones, etc.

Sure but I’m guessing that to explain their natural world they turn to science in most cases and don’t go beyond that. Like I said, I have my cake and eat it too. I let science explain the natural world, but I also believe in God, his son and their existence and plan.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Is it because of your inability to believe in anything that can’t be explained by science?

No.
I turn away from God, when my military priest blessed us and our weapons with which we could kill the enemy. I then learn to live as an athiest and use philosophy for how I have a good enough life. Science has nothing to do with that.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
No.
I turn away from God, when my military priest blessed us and our weapons with which we could kill the enemy. I then learn to live as an athiest and use philosophy for how I have a good enough life. Science has nothing to do with that.
To bad u let one man change you to such extremes. But if you’re happy today that’s all that matters.

gnostic

The Lost One
Sure but I’m guessing that to explain their natural world they turn to science in most cases and don’t go beyond that. Like I said, I have my cake and eat it too. I let science explain the natural world, but I also believe in God, his son and their existence and plan.

your original question is the thread topic, was “Why don’t you believe in god?” While your OP question was, does it have to do with ”science“?

Your 2 questions were about being atheist because of science, which to me was simplistic and generalised view. It was about being a theist while still accepting answers from science about the natural world.

I didn’t read every pages, because it was already 30 pages, when I first replied…hence my questions to you.

Clizby Wampuscat

No, I believe my wife loves me and my dog will be in my house when I get home today and these beliefs are not confirmed by science. I don't believe a god exists because the evidence is not good enough for a belief that a god exists.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I believe there are legitimate reasons atheists, agnostics and other skeptics turn away from religion because of science. The inconsistency of ancient religious beliefs and predominance of beliefs in Christianity, Islam and some Vedic traditions of the rejection of science based on their religious beliefs, Science is consistent, predictable, and real, ancient religions are not. Many believers in Christianity make compromises to accept science, but nonetheless their scripture remains inconsistent without science.
True
This is correct, but it is a major major issue related to the fact that ancient religions reflect an ancient culture where the miraculous and supernatural was normal, and many if not most believers consider this relevant to today's world.

Thei is also related to the fact that most scientists are atheists, agnostics or marginal believers in ancient religions.

I believe the overwhelming dominant reasons are described above, and they are related,

Whateverist

I agree with you that science, as useful as it has been in helping us know and make use of the world, probably does influence the move away from God/gods belief. The mindset that a disinterested, neutral perspective is the best way to understand everything disposes us to always look for underlying physical causes for everything - including what we are. But that is just weird. We cannot understand ourselves as a kind of mechanism and it is dehumanizing to try live like that.

While I do not think of God as person-like or as a master designer of everything I do have a way of thinking about the something more I intuit as the source of primordial consciousness, intention, meaning and values which pre-exist brains. You said "pick one", so I choose to think of it as analogous to the way trillions of cells come together to form our bodies. Each of those cells has some degree of cognition and agency but none is the least bit aware of our cognition and agency on a metazoan level. We cannot directly access or focus on consciousness of God but we are constituted of and play a role in sustaining that.

Can such a being know us intimately the way the Christian notion of God would have it? I don't know but I think like the individual cells of our body, we have a life in our own right but we also are part of that greater life. Just as the cells of the body are replaced without any interruption to our metazoan existence, so our own mortality ends what sets us apart as individuals but not what we collectively are part of.

I doubt this conception of God would support all the Christian version of God's back story nor all the expectations Christians carry. But for simply understanding our humanity and considering the question "why is there anything instead of nothing" I find it helpful.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I agree with you that science, as useful as it has been in helping us know and make use of the world, probably does influence the move away from God/gods belief. The mindset that a disinterested, neutral perspective is the best way to understand everything disposes us to always look for underlying physical causes for everything - including what we are. But that is just weird. We cannot understand ourselves as a kind of mechanism and it is dehumanizing to try live like that.

While I do not think of God as person-like or as a master designer of everything I do have a way of thinking about the something more I intuit as the source of primordial consciousness, intention, meaning and values which pre-exist brains. You said "pick one", so I choose to think of it as analogous to the way trillions of cells come together to form our bodies. Each of those cells has some degree of cognition and agency but none is the least bit aware of our cognition and agency on a metazoan level. We cannot directly access or focus on consciousness of God but we are constituted of and play a role in sustaining that.

Can such a being know us intimately the way the Christian notion of God would have it? I don't know but I think like the individual cells of our body, we have a life in our own right but we also are part of that greater life. Just as the cells of the body are replaced without any interruption to our metazoan existence, so our own mortality ends what sets us apart as individuals but not what we collectively are part of.

I doubt this conception of God would support all the Christian version of God's back story nor all the expectations Christians carry. But for simply understanding our humanity and considering the question "why is there anything instead of nothing" I find it helpful.
Dehumanize, absolutely. I believe we’re much more than just flesh.