• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Don’t You Believe Jesus Rose From The Grave?

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
It's really only fundamentalists that believe in any sort of of biblical literalism (and evangelicals).

"According to a 2022 Gallup poll, the evangelical movement and some Protestant denominations are most likely to view the Bible as literally true and inerrant. The poll also found that 30% of Protestants and 15% of Catholics believe the Bible is literally true."

This is hardly all Christians.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Personally I wouldn’t consider them Christian.

What you said is not an unusual response, as Christians frequently pompously judge other Christians because they disagree on biblical interpretation and church doctrines. In fact, this self-righteous judgment dates back to biblical times with the early Christians (see 1 Corinthians 1:10–17). In my opinion, it is not your right or personal responsibility to determine who is or who isn't a true Christian. Are you familiar with the scriptures about not judging others?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
It's really only fundamentalists that believe in any sort of of biblical literalism (and evangelicals).

"According to a 2022 Gallup poll, the evangelical movement and some Protestant denominations are most likely to view the Bible as literally true and inerrant. The poll also found that 30% of Protestants and 15% of Catholics believe the Bible is literally true."

Yeah, that may be true for the overall opinion, but we’re talking about one small aspect, Jesus rising from the grave, which is foundational to the Christian Faith.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I'm reposting what I wrote on a similar topic because, first, I agree that it is hardly all Christians, and second, I think it substantiates the Gallup poll.

The truth is that Christianity has many conflicting beliefs that contradict one another, such as conditional salvation vs. unconditional salvation, the proper baptism (sprinkled with water vs. fully immersed), female pastors, and the "end-times" (the rapture, pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, and post-tribulation).

Many Christians have the perpetual habit of accusing other Christians of not being "true Christians," and this accusation is as old as Christianity itself (read 1 Corinthians 1:10–17). The problem I have with Christians accusing other Christians of not being true followers of Jesus is that they can never agree on what the Bible truly says, and they constantly argue, insult, and fight one another about what they believe the Bible teaches. The truth is that if you ask the same theological question to a broad group of Christians, you will receive very different answers. All of these Christians will cite the Bible in an attempt to defend their answers, even though their answers are very different and contradictory. I think that it is also worth noting that they don't agree on whether salvation in Jesus Christ is unconditional or not, although they all read the Bible. They have diverse biblical interpretations and church doctrines about salvation, which is defined as Calvinism vs. Arminianism (unconditional salvation vs. conditional salvation). Some Christians claim that a person's salvation is conditional, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. Some Christians claim that a person's salvation is unconditional, and they would quote a few scriptures they believed supported their belief. Other Christians claim that baptism or speaking in tongues is essential for salvation, and they will provide a few scriptures that they believe support their position. They contradict each other, but they all believe they are right.

Questions about how to properly baptize believers (fully immersed in water or sprinkled with water), whether it is biblical for women to be pastors, and about the alleged end times (pre-tribulation, mid-tribulation, post-tribulation, and the rapture of Christians) would elicit the same kind of derision among Christians. There are also churches claiming to be the "true church, which implies that Christians in other churches are wrong in their theology and biblical interpretation. They even argue and debate about whether Jesus' mother remained a virgin after giving birth to him or if she had other children after him.

The truth is that Christians are deeply divided, with different churches subscribing to diverse beliefs and readings of the Bible that have emerged in both historical and modern Christianity. Catholics and Protestants have different doctrines, dogmas, and interpretations of the Bible. So do Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Messianic Jews, and Orthodox Christians, which include Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Ethiopian Orthodox, and Greek Orthodox. There are also Baptists (First Baptist, Second Baptist, Southern Baptist, Reformed Baptist, Primitive Baptist, Anabaptist, Freewill Baptist, and others), Methodists, Mennonites, Seventh-day Adventists, Assemblies of God, Quakers, Anglicans, Nazarenes, and a plethora of other Christian churches that aren't listed here.

Ironically, Christians all believe that they are correct about their beliefs and everyone else (including other Christians) is wrong about theirs, but then they have the audacity to claim that the Bible is the word of God and Christianity is the only true religion in the world. In my opinion, there's no reason to believe any of them. I think it's unreasonable for any Christian to claim that their biblical interpretation and theology are correct while insisting that other Christians are wrong, that the Bible is divinely inspired, and that Christianity is the only true religion in the world. It is also irrational, in my opinion, that Christians expect non-Christians to accept the Bible as divinely inspired and the final authority on moral issues, yet they can't agree on what the Bible says.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It was true 2000 years ago and it is the foundation of the Christian faith.
I wonder when exactly the myth of Jesus was written, and became part of the basis of the religion. S we know the Gospels were written long after the time Jesus was supposedly alive.
It is why the disciples of Jesus believed Jesus was whom He claimed to be. It is what Jesus said He would do. If Jesus did not rise from the dead they would have gone back to fishing etc just as followers of other so called Messiahs did when their Messiahs did not do what the Messiah was to do. Jesus however showed that God was on His side and that He was alive and would continue to do what the Messiah was to do.
There's no reason to treat the Gospels as history.
It is these days in Western culture that people are called fanatics for believing the plain simple truths of the gospel.
Because the Enlightenment spoiled the non-reasoning believer's default. No one who inteprets the Bible literally does so based on facts and reason, they have other non-rational motives. It's apparent most believers have no idea why they believe, they just do. They mimic those who taught them.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
What you said is not an unusual response, as Christians frequently pompously judge other Christians because they disagree on biblical interpretation and church doctrines. In fact, this self-righteous judgment dates back to biblical times with the early Christians (see 1 Corinthians 1:10–17). In my opinion, it is not your right or personal responsibility to determine who is or who isn't a true Christian. Are you familiar with the scriptures about not judging others?
Personally, believing that someone isn’t a Christian isn’t judging them.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Yeah, that may be true for the overall opinion, but we’re talking about one small aspect, Jesus rising from the grave, which is foundational to the Christian Faith.

No the MYTH of Jesus rising from the grave is foundational.

Not whether or not it is literal fact.

That is a minority opinion I substantiated

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I wonder when exactly the myth of Jesus was written, and became part of the basis of the religion. S we know the Gospels were written long after the time Jesus was supposedly alive.

There's no reason to treat the Gospels as history.

Because the Enlightenment spoiled the non-reasoning believer's default. No one who inteprets the Bible literally does so based on facts and reason, they have other non-rational motives. It's apparent most believers have no idea why they believe, they just do. They mimic those who taught them.
Some fake it till they make it. Oh but making it is oh so sweet.