• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Don’t You Believe Jesus Rose From The Grave?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Out of all the mythological stories it looks like Christianity is the one that stuck huh?

As I've already stated, I believe that Argumentum ad populum is a weak argument for defending the popularity of Christianity or the veracity of its tenets, because the same argument could also be used to defend Islam, which is the second largest religion in the world (source) and also the fastest-growing religion (source). Do you, as a Christian, believe that the spiritual beliefs in Islam are true based on how many Muslims in the world believe they are true?

Last edited:

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Just to add more sociological research to the evidence pile (sorry, the academic in me can't help itself):

In any case, I don't personally have an entry in that particular contest. I don't really believe anything in particular about Jesus since they are not part of my religion. I'll listen to what those who do honor that deity have to say, though, especially through well-conducted survey research like what PEW does that makes more representational data. Again, the academic in me can't help itself... :sweat:
Yeah, I wasn’t talking about the whole Bible. I’m talking about one isolated event. Jesus’ resurrection of which 70% of Christian‘s believe is true.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Nice try. As I've already stated, I believe that Argumentum ad populum is a weak argument for defending the popularity of Christianity or the veracity of its tenets, because the same argument could also be used to defend Islam, which is the second largest religion in the world (source) and also the fastest-growing religion (source). Do you, as a Christian, believe that Islam is also a true religion based on how many Muslims in the world believe it is true?
I’m just saying it’s the one that stuck. Nothing beyond that. Yeah it’s popular. Personally I don’t care that it’s popular. As far as Muslims go, they don’t believe God came in the flesh, so I don’t put too much stock in that faith.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I’ve never heard that there’s Christians who think Jesus didn’t rise from the grave. I guess I was taken by surprise. I guess you learn something new every day. Although I suppose I could’ve figured it out if I used my brain. Haha. I’m sure some Christians believe he’s not gonna return either. Oh well.
Those types of Christians have always existed. They were called heretics before, like the ones with a more Gnostic leaning, who tended not to believe that Christ had a real physical existence (instead he was an illusion or he was like a ghost or whatever). You also have atheists who say they're Christian and people who just like Jesus' teachings but don't hold to any of the theology.

Yes, it is the standard of doctrine in the vast majority of Christian churches to believe Christ literally physically resurrected from the dead. It's part of the Creed most Christians follow. That's just true. But many people privately don't believe that, or you have fringe types like I mentioned above.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Those types of Christians have always existed. They were called heretics before, like the ones with a more Gnostic leaning. You also have atheists who say they're Christian and people who just like Jesus' teachings but don't hold to any of the theology.

Yes, it is the standard of doctrine in the vast majority of Christian churches to believe Christ literally physically resurrected from the dead. It's part of the Creed most Christians follow. That's just true. But many people privately don't believe that, or you have fringe types like I mentioned above.
70% of Christian’s believe it.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
The story has stuck. Few believe it as a literal event.

Yes, Jesus' story has stuck, just like the stories of Santa Claus have been around for a long period of time, and countless children all around the world still believe that he is a real person today because that is what they were taught and learned to believe. And like the mythical stories of Santa were based on a real person, I don't doubt that the stories of Jesus were too, but these stories were greatly embellished for popular effect just as the ones of Santa were. In his stories, Jesus was given divine attributes, just as Santa was given divine attributes in his stories. My point is that both of these stories were embellished.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Feel free to share your thoughts.
Well, besides the fact I'm not a Christian anymore, I just don't view death as a disease in need of a cure like Christianity traditionally does. I don't believe that any dead body resurrects. Even if reincarnation is true, you still only live one life as who you are now. Even the stars die and one day, the universe will die. It's just a process of nature and you can't get around it.

Thinking about death and its nature is one of the reasons why I let go of Christianity. I do believe we go on after death in other realms, but I don't believe the Gods break the laws of nature. On the contrary, they are there to uphold it and they will be sure no one escapes death, even themselves. It's the will of nature for everything to return to the void eventually and be transformed.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Yes, Jesus' story has stuck, just like the stories of Santa Claus have been around for a long period of time, and countless children all around the world still believe that he is a real person today because that is what they were taught and learned to believe. And like the mythical stories of Santa were based on a real person, I don't doubt that the stories of Jesus were too, but these stories were greatly embellished for effect just as the ones of Santa were. Jesus was given divine attributes in his stories, just as Santa Claus was given divine attributes in his stories. My point is that both of these stories were embellished.
No Ho Ho

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Yes, Jesus' story has stuck, just like the stories of Santa Claus have been around for a long period of time, and countless children all around the world still believe that he is a real person today because that is what they were taught and learned to believe. And like the mythical stories of Santa were based on a real person, I don't doubt that the stories of Jesus were too, but these stories were greatly embellished for effect just as the ones of Santa were. In his stories, Jesus was given divine attributes, just as Santa was given divine attributes in his stories. My point is that both of these stories were embellished.
Sucks ya gotta grow up and put away childish ways.
I say stay childlike for as long as you can.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Those types of Christians have always existed. They were called heretics before, like the ones with a more Gnostic leaning, who tended not to believe that Christ had a real physical existence (instead he was an illusion or he was like a ghost or whatever). You also have atheists who say they're Christian and people who just like Jesus' teachings but don't hold to any of the theology.

Well, it’s nice to see someone on here that knows that the majority of Christians believe that Jesus rose from the dead. A couple people came on here throwing out statistics saying that the majority of people don’t take the Bible literally. I wasn’t even talking about the whole Bible I’m just talking about the resurrection of Jesus. Hahaha

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Well, it’s nice to see someone on here that knows that the majority of Christians believe that Jesus rose from the dead. A couple people came on here throwing out statistics saying that the majority of people don’t take the Bible literally. I wasn’t even talking about the whole Bible I’m just talking about the resurrection of Jesus. Hahaha
I was a devout Catholic for years (or tried to be), and I converted at 17 and wasn't from a Catholic family, so I had to actually study and learn things about Christian theology to convert. I wanted to join a religious order for a long time. I tend to know more about religion in general than most people do. I could tell you about the teachings from almost any religion you mention.