• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Don’t You Believe Jesus Rose From The Grave?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I don't, and neither do they. In fact I find them more Christian like then most fundamentalists I've met.

In my 51 years of life, I've only met a few Christians who actually live up to what they profess as Christians. To be honest, if it weren't for my husband, who is a devout Christian, and a few other genuine ones I know, I would loathe Christians because of how many of them have badly treated me my entire life.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
In my 51 years of life, I've only met a few Christians who actually live up to what they profess as Christians. To be honest, if it weren't for my husband, who is a devout Christian, and a few other genuine ones I know, I would loathe Christians because of how many of them have badly treated me my entire life.
There’s rough people from all walks of life.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
My wife doesn't. Nor does my family. And they are all Christian.

Hence my reference to a "no true Scotsman" fallacy..
When I said I personally wouldn’t consider them Christian I realize that may have been a little harsh, but I do personally believe that they have missed the main message of Christianity.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I’ve never heard that there’s Christians who think Jesus didn’t rise from the grave. I guess I was taken by surprise. I guess you learn something new every day. Although I suppose I could’ve figured it out if I used my brain. Haha. I’m sure some Christians believe he’s not gonna return either. Oh well.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Through Jesus’ life, death, resurrection, and return there is salvation and eternal life.
That's the story. Why assume it's true at face value? How does any of it even make sense? God needs to impregnate a woman so she can have a child that grows up, just to be executed as a sacrifice to God so he can forgive the sins of mankind? Why not just forgive the sins?

Let's not ignore that pagan and Egytian lore that include resurrection after death. Could it be the Jesus myth was just adopted from existing lore to make Christianity more acceptable to the people of the Middle East?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
In response to the OP, I'm reposting what I wrote in his previous threads with similar topics. I explained why I don't believe in Jesus' resurrection.

To be honest, reading about Jesus in comparative mythology was very eye-opening for me, and it made me realize that the stories told about him in the Bible (e.g., virgin birth, miracles, cruxifixion, death, and resurrection) weren't as unique and compelling as I had previously believed. I began to recognize the significant impact that paganism had on Christianity, as I explained in the following paragraphs. Of course, my opinion is based on what I've learned.

I think that it is essential to consider the biblical accounts of Jesus in the context of comparative mythology and recognize that the savior story about him in the Bible is not the first of its kind. There are other stories of Christlike figures that predate both the Bible and Christianity. In light of my own research on the subject, I've concluded that if Jesus (the English adaptation of Yehoshua/Yeshua) had lived 2,000 years ago, then he was just an ordinary man and a popular religious teacher whose followers spread embellished stories about him, including modified stories about demigods from Greek mythology and other pagan religions that would make him appear godlike. For example, if you replace the name Jesus with Attis (the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation), you'll see a strikingly familiar savior story similar to that of Jesus, except the Greek myths about Attis are dated 1250 BCE, which predates Christianity and the Bible (source). You could also replace the name Jesus with any of the other Christlike figures discussed in the articles I linked. There are even more similar myths that parallel the stories of his divine birth, performing supernatural miracles, walking on water, miraculously healing the sick, raising the dead, as well as his alleged crucifixion, death, and resurrection. You will see that the stories about him are not unique, including his savior story, which, in my opinion, is no more credible than all of the other savior stories that preceded it. As shown in the articles, it is just one among many of the same kind.

10 Christ-Like Figures that predate Jesus

The Truth About Mythological Figures Similar To Jesus

Other Gods That Rose From the Dead in Spring Before Jesus Christ

In conclusion, I believe that most of the biblical stories about Jesus are plagiarized pagan myths, demonstrating that these stories are not unique and that paganism had a substantial impact on Christianity. In my opinion, the stories about him were greatly embellished, either copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions that his followers were aware of at the time or stories based on hearsay that became more elaborate as they spread. Do you know how you can tell a story to a group of people, and over time the original story changes substantially because some people forget what was said, so they guess by making something up to fill in the blanks, or they add their own narratives to embellish the story? I believe this could be the reason why the stories of Jesus vastly spread from region to region and that these stories about him were greatly embellished to make him appear to be godlike and even the son of the Abrahamic God. Again, what I've stated in my post is my personal opinion. I realize that others will disagree with me.

I think it's yet another example of how paganism has had a significant impact on Christianity. In this article, "Mythic Origins of Christianity and How It's Similar to Paganism," there are other examples of how Christianity parallels pagan religions that predate it. More examples can also be found in this article: "The Bible is Fiction: A Collection of Evidence." I think it's obvious that paganism also had an impact on Christmas (see here) and Easter (see here).

Despite Christians' claims that the Bible was inspired by God and that Christianity is the only true religion in the world, I believe these other stories prove that neither the stories about Jesus nor Christianity are as unique as Christians claim. Considering all of these facts disputing the authenticity of Christianity, I don't believe that the stories of Jesus are any more credible or believable than all the other similar savior stories from ancient pagan religions.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
My spouse is also the only Christian I know who lives up to the ideals of her faith.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
That's the story. Why assume it's true at face value? How does any of it even make sense? God needs to impregnate a woman so she can have a child that grows up, just to be executed as a sacrifice to God so he can forgive the sins of mankind? Why not just forgive the sins?

Let's not ignore that pagan and Egytian lore that include resurrection after death. Could it be the Jesus myth was just adopted from existing lore to make Christianity more acceptable to the people of the Middle East?
I guess ya buy it or ya don’t huh?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
In response to the OP, I'm reposting what I wrote in his previous threads with similar topics. I explained why I don't believe in Jesus' resurrection.

To be honest, reading about Jesus in comparative mythology was very eye-opening for me, and it made me realize that the stories told about him in the Bible (e.g., virgin birth, miracles, cruxifixion, death, and resurrection) weren't as unique and compelling as I had previously believed. I began to recognize the significant impact that paganism had on Christianity, as I explained in the following paragraphs. Of course, my opinion is based on what I've learned.

I think that it is essential to consider the biblical accounts of Jesus in the context of comparative mythology and recognize that the savior story about him in the Bible is not the first of its kind. There are other stories of Christlike figures that predate both the Bible and Christianity. In light of my own research on the subject, I've concluded that if Jesus (the English adaptation of Yehoshua/Yeshua) had lived 2,000 years ago, then he was just an ordinary man and a popular religious teacher whose followers spread embellished stories about him, including modified stories about demigods from Greek mythology and other pagan religions that would make him appear godlike. For example, if you replace the name Jesus with Attis (the Phrygian-Greek god of vegetation), you'll see a strikingly familiar savior story similar to that of Jesus, except the Greek myths about Attis are dated 1250 BCE, which predates Christianity and the Bible (source). You could also replace the name Jesus with any of the other Christlike figures discussed in the articles I linked. There are even more similar myths that parallel the stories of his divine birth, performing supernatural miracles, walking on water, miraculously healing the sick, raising the dead, as well as his alleged crucifixion, death, and resurrection. You will see that the stories about him are not unique, including his savior story, which, in my opinion, is no more credible than all of the other savior stories that preceded it. As shown in the articles, it is just one among many of the same kind.

10 Christ-Like Figures that predate Jesus

The Truth About Mythological Figures Similar To Jesus

Other Gods That Rose From the Dead in Spring Before Jesus Christ

In conclusion, I believe that most of the biblical stories about Jesus are plagiarized pagan myths, demonstrating that these stories are not unique and that paganism had a substantial impact on Christianity. In my opinion, the stories about him were greatly embellished, either copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions that his followers were aware of at the time or stories based on hearsay that became more elaborate as they spread. Do you know how you can tell a story to a group of people, and over time the original story changes substantially because some people forget what was said, so they guess by making something up to fill in the blanks, or they add their own narratives to embellish the story? I believe this could be the reason why the stories of Jesus vastly spread from region to region and that these stories about him were greatly embellished to make him appear to be godlike and even the son of the Abrahamic God. Again, what I've stated in my post is my personal opinion. I realize that others will disagree with me.

I think it's yet another example of how paganism has had a significant impact on Christianity. In this article, "Mythic Origins of Christianity and How It's Similar to Paganism," there are other examples of how Christianity parallels pagan religions that predate it. More examples can also be found in this article: "The Bible is Fiction: A Collection of Evidence." I think it's obvious that paganism also had an impact on Christmas (see here) and Easter (see here).

Despite Christians' claims that the Bible was inspired by God and that Christianity is the only true religion in the world, I believe these other stories prove that neither the stories about Jesus nor Christianity are as unique as Christians claim. In my opinion, the stories about Jesus were greatly embellished for effect, either copied and adapted from Greek mythology and other ancient pagan religions that his followers were aware of at the time, or stories based on hearsay that became more elaborate as they spread. Do you know how telling a story to a large group of people can lead to significant changes in the original story over time? This is because some people may forget what was said, leading them to either invent their own narratives to fill in the gaps or embellish the original story. I believe this could be the reason why the stories of Jesus vastly spread from region to region and that these stories about him were greatly embellished to make him appear to be godlike and even the son of the Abrahamic God. Given all of these facts disputing the authenticity of Christianity, I don't believe that the stories of Jesus are any more credible or believable than all the other savior stories from ancient pagan religions.
I guess ya either buy it or you don’t huh?

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Given what I know about Jesus in comparative mythology, I believe it would be intellectually dishonest for me to continue to believe his stories are true.
Out of all the mythological stories it looks like Christianity is the one that stuck huh?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Just to add more sociological research to the evidence pile (sorry, the academic in me can't help itself):

PEW Research said:
Christians, who make up a majority of U.S. adults (71%), are divided over how to interpret the Bible. While about four-in-ten Christians (39%) say the Bible’s text is the word of God and should be taken literally, 36% say it should not be interpreted literally or express another or no opinion. A separate 18% of Christians view the Bible as a book written by men, not God.

In any case, I don't personally have an entry in that particular contest. I don't really believe anything in particular about Jesus since they are not part of my religion. I'll listen to what those who do honor that deity have to say, though, especially through well-conducted survey research like what PEW does that makes more representational data. Again, the academic in me can't help itself... :sweat: