• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
But I don't see how that makes sense given the definition and explanation for "canon" that you gave before.

If canon is just that which was most reflective of the beliefs of the people who set it, at the time they set it - and nothing else - then why would the canonical status matter when deciding whether something is valid?
That's not what I said the canon is. The canon is the standard, set by the Church, for the Church. Since the Church exists outside of linear time (In other words, the Church is the Church in all times and in all places), the canon wasn't just for those people at athat time. The canon is for the Church in all times and places. Since the BOM is extra-canonical, it is not considered a standard.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I don't think God is legalistic. I think people are legalistic, and the rules set by the religion are tools for people, not tools for God. Some find God one way, some another.

so you don;t belive in justice, the eternal law set forth in the bible? that is a legalistic idea, justice that is.... God sets forth laws, laws pertain to obedience, laws+ obedience = legalistic. if you be lieve in the bible anyways,

jbird

This is just one of many men who believe Mormonism is sermonaudio.com/search.asp?seriesOnly=true&currSection=sermonstopic&SourceID=lvfpc&keyworddesc=Mormons+under+the+Microscope&keyword=Mormons+under+the+Microscope

sojourner

so you don;t belive in justice, the eternal law set forth in the bible? that is a legalistic idea, justice that is.... God sets forth laws, laws pertain to obedience, laws+ obedience = legalistic. if you be lieve in the bible anyways,
I believe that love supercedes justice.

astarath

I ordered a copy of the mormon books and pray earnestly and examined them against the other scriptures I accept and at a personal level I do not feel they are the work of the spirit. However I do feel that each person should examine them in detail before discarding them. Just because your church doesnt accept them is an exercise in willful ignorance and a dangerous path to travel!

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I ordered a copy of the mormon books and pray earnestly and examined them against the other scriptures I accept and at a personal level I do not feel they are the work of the spirit. However I do feel that each person should examine them in detail before discarding them. Just because your church doesnt accept them is an exercise in willful ignorance and a dangerous path to travel!

I agree,i have a freind in the US who is a Mormon,before i met her i had no real knowledge of this religion and when i asked her how many husbands she had she collapsed laughing.I now know a lot more and although its not for me it has good in it.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
how can you think Love superceeds Justice? Justice has always superceeded Love, why else would Christ and God both make statements as to everlasting torment for those who do not repent?
I am surprised you would say this. What OT scripture was quoted most often by Jesus?

Matthew 9:10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?" 12 On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." NIV

Matthew 12:7 If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. NIV

Then why didn't Jesus say that they would know that we are his disciples by our JUSTICE??? Jesus died so we wouldn't have to get what we deserve!

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I am surprised you would say this. What OT scripture was quoted most often by Jesus?

Matthew 9:10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew's house, many tax collectors and "sinners" came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, "Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and 'sinners'?" 12 On hearing this, Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." NIV

Matthew 12:7 If you had known what these words mean, 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the innocent. NIV

Then why didn't Jesus say that they would know that we are his disciples by our JUSTICE??? Jesus died so we wouldn't have to get what we deserve!

just because one desires something does not me he is able to give it. notice how he says that the sick need the healing. those who do not repent can not partake of mercy,

You don;t understand that Mercy is given through Christ, Justice is given by God, because of Christ's mercy we can be saved after we do all we can do.

sojourner

just because one desires something does not me he is able to give it. notice how he says that the sick need the healing. those who do not repent can not partake of mercy,

You don;t understand that Mercy is given through Christ, Justice is given by God, because of Christ's mercy we can be saved after we do all we can do.
It is precisely to the lost that mercy is most cogent.

I don't understand your last statement. The OT talks about the mercy of God all the time. In addition, we believe that Christ is God. Therefore, Christ's mercy is God's mercy. Another of my 97 reasons why Trinitarian theology works. If you're not a Trinitarian, you have to separate what God does from what Christ does. it can cause problems.

I really don't think the working dynamic of justification/salvation is "good cop/bad cop."

madhatter85

Transhumanist
It is precisely to the lost that mercy is most cogent.

I don't understand your last statement. The OT talks about the mercy of God all the time. In addition, we believe that Christ is God. Therefore, Christ's mercy is God's mercy. Another of my 97 reasons why Trinitarian theology works. If you're not a Trinitarian, you have to separate what God does from what Christ does. it can cause problems.

I really don't think the working dynamic of justification/salvation is "good cop/bad cop."

too bad the trinitarian view is nowhere supported biblically.

nutshell

If you're not a Trinitarian, you have to separate what God does from what Christ does. it can cause problems.

Actuall, there's no problem whatsoever because while they are separate beings, they are one in purpose. Surely, God can achieve perfection of purpose with the Son.

sojourner

too bad the trinitarian view is nowhere supported biblically.
Too bad the Trinitarian view is not only supported by, but based upon scripture.

Aside from that, God still works mercy in the OT. and God chooses mercy over justice in the OT.

A

angellous_evangellous

***MOD ADVISORY***

Please stay on topic.

Thanks,
A_E

nutshell

**sigh** Haven't we already beaten that dead horse? This tack is derailing the thread.

I'm sorry, I thought this was a debate forum and I haven't posted much in this particular thread. Given you tiredness, my legitimate curiosity, and A-E's threat, can you at least PM me something????

Just this morning, my wife, who is a convert from atheism to Mormonism, stated she doesn't understand the traditional Christianity view of the Trinity. I tried to explain it to her, but knew I didn't do the subject justice because I just don't "get it" either. If I had a specific scriptural reference, I would be glad to try and figure it out for myself. That's all I'm asking.

Peace be with you.

sojourner

Status
Not open for further replies.