• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
It kind of makes one wonder--What would the world have thought about the BoM, if the plates were just found like the Dead Sea Scrolls were?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It kind of makes one wonder--What would the world have thought about the BoM, if the plates were just found like the Dead Sea Scrolls were?
Interesting question. I've never stopped to consider that, but I suspect there would be a whole lot more believers. On the other hand, we still wouldn't have the priesthood or any of the authority we need to function as a Church.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Interesting question. I've never stopped to consider that, but I suspect there would be a whole lot more believers. On the other hand, we still wouldn't have the priesthood or any of the authority we need to function as a Church.

No we wouldn't have a church, but I think this is what the original question of this thread was about. Strip away the LDS church, Joseph Smith and everything else, and leave just the BoM itself. And even go back to the plates. If they were uncovered by some archeologist, and translated by some ancient language expert, published, and preserved in a way that their authenticity as an ancient writing was not in question---How would the Christian world receive it? Would they be able to accept it? Would they then consider the possibility that Christ actually did visit America?

. . . this makes me want to know more of what's written in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I have some Books on the Dead Sea Scrolls. But I haven't really had time to read them. I also haven't found a place that actually has the Dead Sea Scrolls published. I con only find bits and pieces online.

Rolling_Stone

I have some Books on the Dead Sea Scrolls. But I haven't really had time to read them. I also haven't found a place that actually has the Dead Sea Scrolls published. I con only find bits and pieces online.
You might find something useful here if you haven't already looked.

billabong

Why don't Christians accept the Book of Mormon to be true? It testifys of Christ our Savior, as the Messiah, the Great Mediator. And it's a solid Book, it has substance.

You don't believe there is any way that Christ would have appeared to his "Sheep of another fold" (mentioned in the bible) in the americas after his ressurection. Or that Both God and Christ would appear to a modern day prophet.

Yet, they believe that God, or even the "Mother Mary" would speak to 6 old women in Bosnia?

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why you think the way you do.

The sheep from another fold are the Gentiles in general. The first fold are the Jews. Also a prophet is not needed after Christ. He completed the will of the Father and thats it. The book of mormon isnt worth the paper its printed on.

nutshell

The sheep from another fold are the Gentiles in general. The first fold are the Jews. Also a prophet is not needed after Christ. He completed the will of the Father and thats it. The book of mormon isnt worth the paper its printed on.

That's right, anything that testifies of Christ is worthless.:rolleyes:

Starfish

Please no sarcasm

Have you read it?

Jeremy Mason

While I have some questions about the BoM and it's leaders past and present, I've tried to to be polite.

Rolling_Stone

So all revelation ceased with Christ? But that entails change and I thought God was changeless.

billabong

Good thing we don't worship Baal. I'm so glad I know Jesus Christ is my Saviour.
My point in all that is I dont believe we as Christians should be tolerant of lies and falsehoods. Anyone can slander Christians and thats ok. But if we come out against someone else everyone says that we are suppose to be tolerant towards those people.

A Lurking Shadow

I'm a slave to your will
Not to sound rude, but I think the Joseph Smith story speaks for itself. If my work in intelligence has taught me anything, its that taking a persons word for something is a horrible, horrible move in the life that is chess.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
Not to sound rude, but I think the Joseph Smith story speaks for itself. If my work in intelligence has taught me anything, its that taking a persons word for something is a horrible, horrible move in the life that is chess.

I completely agree with you. That's why I ask God for HIS word on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.