• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I would love to know how that entails change in anyway.
In the Old Testament, God said that He would never do anything without revealing His secrets to His servants, the prophets. If He stopped doing that all of a sudden, it would be a change.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
My point in all that is I dont believe we as Christians should be tolerant of lies and falsehoods. Anyone can slander Christians and thats ok. But if we come out against someone else everyone says that we are suppose to be tolerant towards those people.
From what I'm seeing here is that you believe non-Christians should be tolerant, but that Christians don't need to be. Non-Christians should not be passing judgment on Christians, but it's okay for Christians to pass judgment on anybody they want to. It's wrong for people to slander Christians, but it's okay for non-LDS Christians to slander LDS-Christians. Non-Christians should not bear false witness against Christians, but non-LDS Christians are not held to this same standard with respect to LDS Christians.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Not to sound rude, but I think the Joseph Smith story speaks for itself. If my work in intelligence has taught me anything, its that taking a persons word for something is a horrible, horrible move in the life that is chess.
Uh, not to sound rude, but you shouldn't be offering your perspective on this thread at all. You're a newbie, so I'll cut you some slack, but it might be a good idea to read the forum rules before posting to this particular forum again.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
I've never read the Koran. So you won't find me commenting on it one way or another. Nor should I, until I've read it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The sheep from another fold are the Gentiles in general. The first fold are the Jews.
How'd you come up with that interpretation. Jesus specifically said that His personal mission was solely to the house of Israel. He commissioned His Apostles to teach the Gentiles, but He did not teach them Himself -- not once. Since He said that His other sheep would hear His voice (not merely His message as taught by someone else), He was clearly referring to other members of the house of Israel who were not among those in the Holy Land. Now you tell me who would fit this description.

Also a prophet is not needed after Christ. He completed the will of the Father and thats it.
So prophets are no longer needed, but Jesus Christ called them anyway and accurately predicted that they would be killed and persecuted. Why do you think this was?

The book of mormon isnt worth the paper its printed on.
Oh, that's clever. You know, it doesn't take an ounce of effort to be sarcastic. Why don't you try again, and be nice this time. I you have to insult us to make your position look good, perhaps the problem is with your position.

A Lurking Shadow

I'm a slave to your will
Uh, not to sound rude, but you shouldn't be offering your perspective on this thread at all. You're a newbie, so I'll cut you some slack, but it might be a good idea to read the forum rules before posting to this particular forum again.

Thats rich, considering I was raised a Mormon.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thats rich, considering I was raised a Mormon.
That's entirely beside the point. It doesn't matter how you were raised. You are a Satanist now and this thread is on the Same-Faith Debates Forum. Only Christians are permitted to debate on this particular topic. Not ex-Christians. Not ex-Mormons.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
:clap

Touche!
Right. Applause for the ex-Mormon Satanist who thinks he has the right to post on a Christian Same-Faith Debates forum and who can't even take a hint when he's specifically reminded of the rules. Kind of makes you wonder what about that kind of obtuse thinking is worthy of applause. :cool:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Right. Applause for the ex-Mormon Satanist who thinks he has the right to post on a Christian Same-Faith Debates forum and who can't even take a hint when he's specifically reminded of the rules. Kind of makes you wonder what about that kind of obtuse thinking is worthy of applause. :cool:

Were the same rules quoted to rolling stone a few pages ago when answering his religious comments?

I'm just wondering cause I didn't see such stern warnings extended.....:sarcastic

Troublemane

To be fair, satanism is a branch of christianity, if maybe a bit zanier, having colorful proponents such as Roman Polanski and Marilyn Manson. i myself am not christian, though being a Panentheist i see all outward forms of religious expression to be just window dressing---God is God for all sentient beings, so my belief actually includes christianity as a subset, and enables me to partke in any religious ritual (christian, muslim, jewish, buddhist, thelemic, etc.) without any psychological difficulty.
:)

Troublemane

what I am interested to know, however, in reference to the OP, is can an LDS cite some important theological or moral teachings from the Book of Mormon which may help those of us non-LDS to understand its importance? I said in an earlier post I read it and didnt recieve it well, but that was 20 years ago. I might wanna ask you LDS-folks for some insight here, since I now have the opportunity.

Starfish

Please no sarcasm
what I am interested to know, however, in reference to the OP, is can an LDS cite some important theological or moral teachings from the Book of Mormon which may help those of us non-LDS to understand its importance? I said in an earlier post I read it and didnt recieve it well, but that was 20 years ago. I might wanna ask you LDS-folks for some insight here, since I now have the opportunity.

I hesitate to answer, because I feel I can't do justice here.
The Book of Mormon can lead you to God. It's another testiment, or testimony, of Jesus Christ. It's a supplement to the Bible and contains more truths than any other book. There are a million lessons taught in it, that would take too long to list. The men in it, the prophets, lived lives that were inspiring and examples for us all. They were true heros.
It's not written to entertain or amuse. Parts may seem boring or even confusing but there is a spirit or strength to reading it. It can bring power to you to overcome temptations and addictions. It can help improve family relationships. It helps you to understand Christ better and to become a little bit more like him. It can be a vehicle for God to speak to you.
But without the proper spirit or attitude, you won't get much from it. The Holy Ghost will not reveal anything to you that you are not ready for.
I've read it numbers of times and still feel like I'm scratching the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.