• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't more people know about Edmonton ?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To me it seems that most people outside of Canada don't know that Edmonton exists why is this ? And is my assessment wrong ?

I've known that Edmonton exists most of my life, although I took to road atlases early in life. I love maps, so I've known about it that way.

I've also heard of the Edmonton Oilers when they joined the NHL (I even remember when they were still in the WHA).

I've never actually been there. Never had much reason to travel that far north.

I don't know how well known my own city (Tucson, Arizona) is. Both Tucson and Edmonton are western cities. Edmonton is almost exactly due north from Tucson.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Then it is obviously underperforming for a city of its size
Reminds me of a difficulty I found a couple of months ago discussing biology in these forums.

There are about a trillion cells in a human body. That makes it so that very unlikely events happen daily in our bodies.

Significance depends a whole lot on our scope of perception.

RestlessSoul

Well you have, because you live in England. I live in Canada, and know a heck of a lot more about Edmonton than I do about Teaside.

Like how to spell it?

It’s Teesside btw. Nothing to do with tea, though I dare say they know how to make a decent brew up there.

I think most of the world has heard of Liverpool. And there was a time when all the world’s cutlery came from Sheffield, but those days are long gone.

Wirey

Fartist
Okay, Edmonton for beginners:

West Edmonton Mall:

My son has played hockey on that ice rink many times. It's a huge, interesting mall, and one whole end smells like a Cinnabon.

Fort Edmonton Park:

Really cool old-timey place. Plus, my wife's law firm used to have Christmas parties there, and I love every place where I've gotten drunk for free.

Roger's Place:

The actual God of hockey arenas, complete with $14 dollar beer and Connor McDavid magic.

Royal Alberta Museum:

One of those places that's way cooler than you can imagine, if you're a museum guy (I am).

-40 C weather in the winter

Just for the record, -40 is where Celsius and Fahrenheit meet, so maybe come visit in July.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
To me it seems that most people outside of Canada don't know that Edmonton exists why is this ? And is my assessment wrong ?
Is there some particular reason people outside of Edmonton should have heard of Edmonton?

Have you heard of Nashville, Tennessee?
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada?
Harbin, China?
South Korea Wonju, South Korea?
Netherlands Bergen op Zoom, the Netherlands?

I would hope so seeing as they are all "Sister Cities" to Edmonton....

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But I've heard there's no compelling reason to ever go there.

What you've heard is utterly bogus. It was the best folk/roots festival in North America in my biased opinion. It is of course heavy on Candadians but when my wife booked bands there we went up several times. They had multiple, 6 or 7 stages going at the same time during the day and the main stage at night. After that, all the volunteers and guests (like us) were treated to almost all night music and more. Edmonton Folk Music Festival August 8 – 11, 2024 – Every August on Gallagher Hill in Edmonton – some of the best Folk Music from around the World! The festival takes place each year in August. It is always the weekend following the August long weekend.

One example of a Main Stage act: Baaba Maal. I remember they drifted out a few at a time building and building the energy and tension until they were all on stage and then they exploded into music. This youtube gives a taste

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
No.
But Canuckistanians have invited me before.
200w.gif

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Wait a minute; so Canada's a real place?
Their "dollar" is the "loony" which is a coin, not bill which tells you something. They've also gotten rid of the useless penny. For this and other reasons perhaps Canada is a bit like Shangri La.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Their "dollar" is the "loony" which is a coin, not bill which tells you something. They've also gotten rid of the useless penny. For this and other reasons perhaps Canada is a bit like Shangri La.
One of the pitfalls of travel to the US is putting up with the petty currency. It does serve as a reminder of how lucky we are here.