• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't more people know about Edmonton ?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
LOL. I sold Honda for a while. There are some terrible salesmen out there.
No kidding. One time I had a guy from Sun Toyota on Whyte Ave come running after me as I drove away. Then he called me at home. I think and hope they're getting slightly better. This guy I bought the car from told me afterwards, "Just by your age and demeanour, I knew I couldn't mess around at all." I tell them up front if they tell me they need to talk to a manager or if they change the price they give me by one cent, I'm gone. So yeah, maybe I met you, and I walked out.

To me it seems that most people outside of Canada don't know that Edmonton exists why is this ? And is my assessment wrong ?

I’d say a disproportionate number of people do know it exists compared to its size and global significance.

The more relevant question is why do so many people know about Edmonton?

Probably because of the Oilers and Wayne Gretzky and other sport related things, along with the visibility of North American media.

Most people haven’t heard of Chongqing and 30+ million people live there. My autocorrect doesn’t even recognise it as a word.

Western cities are far better known than those in Africa and Asia.

Look at the list of largest cities here, and there are plenty of “never heard of it”.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Most people haven’t heard of Chongqing and 30+ million people live there. My autocorrect doesn’t even recognise it as a word.

I've heard of that city since I was a kid, as it had significance as China's capital during WW2. However, back then, it was called "Chungking." I don't know when or why it was changed. It's like when they changed the name of Peking to Beijing. It took a while for people to adjust to the change, although people still knew about the city.

Wirey

Fartist
No kidding. One time I had a guy from Sun Toyota on Whyte Ave come running after me as I drove away. Then he called me at home. I think and hope they're getting slightly better. This guy I bought the car from told me afterwards, "Just by your age and demeanour, I knew I couldn't mess around at all." I tell them up front if they tell me they need to talk to a manager or if they change the price they give me by one cent, I'm gone. So yeah, maybe I met you, and I walked out.
Nope, I didn't play games.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Should have gone to see Cal Worthington and his dog, Spot.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

A friend if my fathers opened a second hand car lot in central Manchester. He sold 'em cheap without guarantee. A story he liked to recount

He once sold a car, the guy collected it. A few minutes later the guy comes running back. "That car you just sold me, it got to the junction and set on fire"
Dad's friend looked at him, shrugged, said "you don't want me, you want the fire brigade" and toddled back into his office.

It's little wonder second hand car dealers gained such a bad rep