• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't Republicans see this?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
One of the things that came out of the second day of public hearings by the January 6 Committee is that:
  1. Everybody (except a drunk Giuliani) around Trump was telling him there was no fraud (so he knew),
  2. Trump continued the Big Lie in spite of all of them (so he continued to lie),
  3. Using the Big Lie, he then went on to raise $250 million from his supporters for a non-existent "defense fund," and put it in his own pocket (and he used that lie to commit what can only be called fraud -- against his own supporters).
So for heavens sake, why can't they see the truth, and stop supporting the man who has so self-servingly robbed them blind?

joe1776

One of the things that came out of the second day of public hearings by the January 6 Committee is that:
  1. Everybody (except a drunk Giuliani) around Trump was telling him there was no fraud (so he knew),
  2. Trump continued the Big Lie in spite of all of them (so he continued to lie),
  3. Using the Big Lie, he then went on to raise $250 million from his supporters for a non-existent "defense fund," and put it in his own pocket (and he used that lie to commit what can only be called fraud -- against his own supporters).
So for heavens sake, why can't they see the truth, and stop supporting the man who has so self-servingly robbed them blind?
Well, why did they believe Hitler's Big Lie? It was something people wanted to believe. I think it's a demonstration of the power of confirmation bias.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Well at least he got things accomplished unlike the present occupier of the White House

He did??? Oh yes.

I guess he accomplished groping women.

He accomplished increasing the federal debt by 60%

Did he accomplish getting Mexico to pay for the border wall?
Nope but he accomplished getting American tax payers to pay for it

He accomplished making America a laughing stock on the world stage.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well, why did they believe Hitler's Big Lie? It was something people wanted to believe. I think it's a demonstration of the power of confirmation bias.
But in my view, because it is so often a recipe for disaster, it seems to be an evolved characteristic that does not stand our species in such good stead.

Suave

Simulated character
Well at least he got things accomplished unlike the present occupier of the White House

Please let us not forget Biden and Democrats did help enact infrastructure for our E.V,s, there will soon likely be an electric vehicle charging station within a mile of every U.S. highway offramp!

baker-california-evgo-station-1500x1000.jpg

U.S. Highways To Get 500,000 Electric Vehicle Charging Stations - IEEE Innovation at Work

Heyo

Veteran Member
He did??? Oh yes.

You also have to note the good things:

- He insulted soldiers and military leaders.

- He stole from the DOD.

- He prevented TTIP.

- He at least tried to reduce US presence in Germany (but failed, the MIC showed him that the President doesn't have that power).

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Some of them do. Unfortunately, they are being labeled as RINOs (Republican In Name Only) and are being targeted for getting "primaried" by the radicals.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
He did??? Oh yes.

I wish I could give your post more than one winner frube.

Shaul

Premium Member
President Trump did not tell a “Big Lie”. He contested the results of the election. That is something that other politicians have also done. It is nothing unusual. Indeed even some of the Democrats sitting on the Special Committee have contested election results.

Frankly I find Trump opponents even calling it “Big Lie” repugnant. They, and you, should realize that it will be conflated with the “Big Lie” concept espoused by the Nazis. This despite the huge difference between these two things. Indeed Joe1776 even noted the (unwarranted) connection.

It would be more appropriate to call the activities of the Special Committee a “Big Lie”. It has more to do with repeating a lie over and over again, as did Goebbels, than anything Trump has done.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Please let us not forget Biden and Democrats did help enact infrastructure for our E.V,s, there will soon likely be an electric vehicle charging station within a mile of every U.S. highway offramp!
Do you have any idea how rural, remote, and isolated many of these off ramps and exits are?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
President Trump did not tell a “Big Lie”. He contested the results of the election. That is something that other politicians have also done. It is nothing unusual. Indeed even some of the Democrats sitting on the Special Committee have contested election results.

Frankly I find Trump opponents even calling it “Big Lie” repugnant. They, and you, should realize that it will be conflated with the “Big Lie” concept espoused by the Nazis. This despite the huge difference between these two things. Indeed Joe1776 even noted the (unwarranted) connection.

It would be more appropriate to call the activities of the Special Committee a “Big Lie”. It has more to do with repeating a lie over and over again, as did Goebbels, than anything Trump has done.
He didn't contest the results, he blatantly lied about it. Like his "we count the votes, I win. We count the illegal votes and Biden wins." That was a lie. Mysterious ballots dropped off in the middle of the night? That too was a lie. His claims about the voting machines? Lies. His claims about states wanting to change their official vote? Lies. His claim of it being an illegitimate result? That too is a lie.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
From all indications, because they lack the emotional ability and motivation to understand those parts of reality and favor a fantasy instead.

joe1776

But in my view, because it is so often a recipe for disaster, it seems to be an evolved characteristic that does not stand our species in such good stead.
It's certainly a flaw in human nature. But, although the cost can be high, I think history has shown that eventually "The truth will out."

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Wow! Denialism -- you got it bad!

"Contested?" All the courts, all his agencies, all his advisers (except the drunk), everybody gave him the truth. It wasn't what he wanted to hear. It didn't matter that they had the evidence, and he had none. This is not "contesting," this is pure pretense -- which is what makes it, for real, "THE BIG LIE."

Try to get used to notion that facts, at some point, have to have a place in reasonable thinking.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It's certainly a flaw in human nature. But, although the cost can be high, I think history has shown that eventually "The truth will out."
And also, once the truth is out, most reasonable people will come to accept it and move on.

There are some, however, (and just now, there seem to be a lot of them) who can't bring themselves to do that. This does not augur well for the future of the US as the world's leading nation.

I have said it before, I'll say it again, and I believe it -- the US is in serious decline as a consequence of a real shift towards populist, right-wing, conspiracy-theory-laden, fascistic tendencies on the part of quite a large percentage of the population.