• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't Republicans see this?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well it looks like a number of you can find fault with the previous administration, but can't put forth anything the present administration has done right.
Even many Democrats can't support him as well as most of the courntry
Democrats grumble openly about Biden's age, effectiveness as 2024 presidential election looms
What does the country think of Biden?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/09/biden-polling-lack-base/
How Popular Is Joe Biden?
Biden lives in a fantasy world and confuses it with reality. Quite a list actually...

No record of Biden Naval Academy appointment he boasted about

A perfect Democrat actually. That why he was nominated in the first place.

Twilight Hue

It was a planned insurrection. Four people died on that day, and just because they were Trump supporters doesn’t mean their deaths don’t count. They died because they were lied to. Five other people died after that day as a direct consequence of those events. 138 Law enforcement officers were injured, some suffering permanent debilitating injuries. The fact is that there were several “protesters” there with firearms, and many more with knives, bats, and other weapons that they brought with them.

It was an insurrection, it was a planned insurrection. That is not my opinion, it is a fact. People have been charged with and convicted of insurrection conspiracy.
Oh yeah. That PowerPoint thingy.

Twilight Hue

And also, once the truth is out, most reasonable people will come to accept it and move on.

There are some, however, (and just now, there seem to be a lot of them) who can't bring themselves to do that. This does not augur well for the future of the US as the world's leading nation.

I have said it before, I'll say it again, and I believe it -- the US is in serious decline as a consequence of a real shift towards populist, right-wing, conspiracy-theory-laden, fascistic tendencies on the part of quite a large percentage of the population.
What and get taken over by centralist democracy inspired by Leninist political philosophies?

Oh... so much better.

Audie

Veteran Member
One of the things that came out of the second day of public hearings by the January 6 Committee is that:
  1. Everybody (except a drunk Giuliani) around Trump was telling him there was no fraud (so he knew),
  2. Trump continued the Big Lie in spite of all of them (so he continued to lie),
  3. Using the Big Lie, he then went on to raise $250 million from his supporters for a non-existent "defense fund," and put it in his own pocket (and he used that lie to commit what can only be called fraud -- against his own supporters).
So for heavens sake, why can't they see the truth, and stop supporting the man who has so self-servingly robbed them blind?
We expect you will provide a
list of politicians who are not self
serving* and tell us who trump
robbed of what.

*If you can name even one, next try for
the prize - a politician who is a
good fiduciary with public funds,

Twilight Hue

That’s fine. If you don’t want to watch I respect your choice.

But don’t argue with people who did watch about what was in it.
There's nothing in it worth watching. I catch the highlights.

What BS. Of course, that's the trend nowadays.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
He is still influencing politics. That's a problem. His Presidency should be considered a warning and we should learn from it. Thus, the need to continue to discuss and debate Trump's role in American politics.

I think there's a direct relationship between how much influence he has and how his opponents are obsessed with taking him down. If they'd lay off, then his supporters would fade away, and Trump's influence would equally fade - if that's the actual goal here. The OP asked why people still believe in Trump, and the answer to that question (as it's been the same answer since 2016) is because of the people who are/were obsessed with wanting to get rid of Trump.

Let such an egregious assault on our country and democracy just fade away? We must send the message to do such a thing will not be tolerated and will lead to prosecution.

I get that, but prosecutions are supposed to take place inside courtrooms.

But my point is, the political situation in the country right now appears to be show signs of strain and growing fragility. I think it's been decades in the making, and Trump and many of his ideological cohorts knew just the right buttons to push. By continuing to go after Trump (especially after there's no any real practical need to do so in terms of America's present national interests), they risk making a martyr of the guy in the eyes of his fans.

The question is, is it really worth it? And if so, why? What message should we send, and have we really given much thought to the mindset of the audience we might direct such a message?

The country is in a rather foul mood these days, and there's a great deal of political entrenchment and intransigence - almost to the point where different factions almost seem to be coming from alternate realities. One can compare different media, conservative vs. liberal, and it's uncanny how both seem to have completely different perceptions in how they see the world around them.

I can't say I harbor any illusions about our country or our democracy, although I know historically, we've survived and sustained egregious assaults before. I don't believe that our democracy was in any real danger on January 6. I had a much bigger fear that Trump might try to co-opt the military, and possibly stage a coup - which would have been treasonous, but that's the only way a democratically elected government could be overthrown. Once it was made clear that the military had every intention to carry out their oath to the Constitution and would not interfere in the democratic process, I knew the Republic was safe. A few hundred yahoos attacking the Capitol wouldn't have changed the results of the election. Our government is not that fragile.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
How was it an assault on our country. It was an out of control protest with no weapons and no non protesters killed.

It was nothing. Of course some of the people should be arrested and they have been, but it is not the national crisis democrats are trying to make it.

The BLM and Antifa riots were far more deadly, damaging, and widespread.
Many police officers were attacked, at least one killed.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
President Trump did not tell a “Big Lie”. He contested the results of the election. That is something that other politicians have also done. It is nothing unusual. Indeed even some of the Democrats sitting on the Special Committee have contested election results.
There is a difference between contesting results and simply saying long before the election that if Biden won it would be by stealing the election - by whatever means - and is one way for democracy to end when one can't accept a loss. That was Trump's evil. And the 6th January event nearly proved to be the outcome feared - and all stirred up by Trump's lies. :oops: