• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't we admit the fault of victims?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
:confused: The thread itself is asking why we don't blame the victims, I was stating that even while taking precautions a victim should still not be blamed because the perpetrator is the one who is irresponsible, and now we go to a straw man? I find nothing straw-man like about placing all blame on a pick-pocket who couldn't keep his hands to himself, a thug who attacks people, or a rapist that can't keep his own penis in his own pants (even if the girl was wearing wearing hardly any clothes at all or something that was just right up the rapists fantasy isle).
At this point, all I want to do is agree with you regarding the underlined part.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I'm telling you statistical correlations backed by research I've looked into. Embracing rape myths like the idea that what you wear can cause you to be raped, is strongly correlated with being assaulted, and the outcome is strongly correlated with the effects I described. I don't know what you, personally, would do, but neither do you. Statistical correlation and the anecdotal evidence of others is all we have to go by unless we have been in such a situation ourselves.

Rapists are solely repsonsible for RAPE. I thought I was clear on this point, but, I'll put this out there again - I do not condone victim shaming/blaming. I do not deem rape victims responsible for their rapes.

I do however, agree with the points raised in original post. Understanding the casual variables surrounding a crime can assist in establishing patterns and risk.

I haven't embraced rape myths. It would be dishonest to project that I have.

What I've provided are examples as to how considering risk may be of benefit to an indvidual. I provided an example of walking alone at night in a part of my city that is known for crime. If I chose to take such a walk, without protection and without letting anyone know where I'm going - my own behavior at mininum:

a. increases the risk of harassment, rape, robbery or assault
b. decreases my ability to protect myself against an assailant
c. decreases the likelihood that authorities would be contacted timely as they would be if someone had come along with me and/or knew my whereabouts

I'm not responsible for what an assailant might do to me. I do, however, within the context of this particular situation, have the ability to make safer choices.

Yes, I have studied martial arts, and I'm the last person on earth anyone who knows me would accuse of lacking a fighting spirit. I don't know what that has to do with the subject though.

It's directly relative within the context of the conversation that we were having.

You said this:

True, but if you ever ARE assaulted, torturing yourself over what you could have done differently to stop the attack from happening will make your recovery much more painful and difficult than it needs to be.

It may cause you to delay reporting the crime to police, or even not report it at all.

I asked you if personality does not come into play at all? Does our self esteem, emotional health prior to trauma and perhaps even education not influence how we react to trauma?

Do you think it unlikely that other people wouldn't react with the ferocity that you and I might?

Thank God, this is anecdotal and assumptive on our parts to a great degree. You're right. You can't know how you might react to a situation that hasn't occurred to you. But, I can reasonably assume, given my strong feeling on seeing justice served, that I would likely have to be rendered incapable of reporting a crime to not do so.

By avoiding people who broadcast aggression, we both lower our risk of getting into any kind of unanticipated trouble. That's also a statistical correlation though, not a guarantee. Any additional precautions you might like to take is up to you, and I fully acknowledge that people are different. But some of those precautions are not statistically correlated with an increased risk of assault, like telling people where you're going all the time or wearing sexy clothes. So to pick a factor like that to attribute partial responsibility for an attack to the victim is pointless and destructive.

How are you going to avoid someone who drives up in a car with several others and grabs you by gunpoint? How are you going to avoid someone who catches you off guard?

Again, I'm not accusing victims of being responsible in any way for an attack.

I'm talking about risk. In certain parts of my own community, it's unwise to walk alone after hours as per my explanation above. Statistical data supports such.

But really, who lives their life constantly assessing the risk of being assaulted in any given situation? Just steer clear of sketchy characters and you've pretty much done what you can.

Situational awareness and acknowledging risk is important to me. I have a responsibility to do so because I'm not only responsible for myself but for my daughters as well.

This certainly doesn't mean that I live my life paranoid, but, I do exercise what I feel to be better judgement whenever I can.

I can't always steer clear of sketchy characters, unfortunately, because those that are dangerous are often unseen or don't appear to be dangerous. I can't control the actions of others and I can't always know when something negate is going to happen.

But, I can take what I know from crime statistics and apply that to my decision making.

Doing so in my opinion doesn't differ much from acknowledging that risks were pre-existing within the context of a crime. And this does not have to translate to victim shaming/blaming, as seems to be the projection.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I can see your point, and it does have great merit - but how could we go about addressing it? You are correct in that the victim often plays a role and had they behaved differently the crime may not have occured, but I would hate to be the person tasked with having to point that out.

You do a risk analysis. You look at potential factors, and figure out which factors have the greatest association with the problem. You'd probably target those first, but it would depend on the factor and whether or not it's truly feasible to do anything about it. Often times, there may not be. But that we've done the honest investigation in the first place instead of ignoring things for the sake of emotional or political correctness I'd regard as a good thing.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
This thread is in many respects an extension of this one, only the intent here is to consider perpetrators and targets of crimes more broadly. In that thread, I'm noticing a worrying tendency for some to to completely absolve targets of crimes of any contribution to the event. Although I suspect some of this is due to choice of words and semantics, it is very concerning to me that people are able to ignore causal variables simply because they are centered on the victim of a crime.

Being a target of a crime does not magically erase the fact that aspects of that person's behavior or personality contributed to the situation. Suggesting so is unscientific, unwise, and potentially downright dangerous. It nullifies our ability to conduct an impartial, objective risk analysis of crime and its causes, and in particular it won't allow us to develop ways that we can protect ourselves from becoming targets. After all, if we can't bother to acknowledge how we, as targets, contributed to the situation, we're going to be blind to how we can change our behavior to reduce our risk. We need to take responsibility for ourselves too, not just engage in rubbish finger-pointing exercises.

Thoughts?

Please give a scenario in which it is the victims fault they got raped.

Alceste

Vagabond
If the question was re-phrased as; How much could an individual reduce the probability of being raped, robbed or beaten by changing the way that they behave.

The answer would be; Quite a lot.

9/10ths of personal safety and security is down to how you interact with the world, not how tough you are.

Actually, being "tough" (in the sense of confident, assertive, firm about your boundaries and willing to use force to defend them) is a genuinely effective risk reduction technique for any kind of trouble with predatory people.

Sexual predators in particular look for people they can easily overpower. "The rapist is going to go after somebody who's not paying attention, who looks like they're not going to put up a fight, who's in a location that's going to make this more convenient," says Tod Burke, a criminologist at Radford University in Virginia.

"If I had the slightest inkling that a woman wasn't someone I could easily handle, then I would pass right on by. Or if I thought I couldn't control the situation, then I wouldn't even mess with the house, much less attempt a rape there," says Brad Morrison, a convicted sex offender who raped 75 women in 11 states and who's quoted in Predators: Who They Are and How to Stop Them, by Gregory M. Cooper, Michael R. King, and Thomas McHoes.
http://m.psychologytoday.com/articles/200812/marked-mayhem

Alceste

Vagabond
Rapists are solely repsonsible for RAPE. I thought I was clear on this point, but, I'll put this out there again - I do not condone victim shaming/blaming. I do not deem rape victims responsible for their rapes.

I do however, agree with the points raised in original post. Understanding the casual variables surrounding a crime can assist in establishing patterns and risk.

I haven't embraced rape myths. It would be dishonest to project that I have.

What I've provided are examples as to how considering risk may be of benefit to an indvidual. I provided an example of walking alone at night in a part of my city that is known for crime. If I chose to take such a walk, without protection and without letting anyone know where I'm going - my own behavior at mininum:

a. increases the risk of harassment, rape, robbery or assault
b. decreases my ability to protect myself against an assailant
c. decreases the likelihood that authorities would be contacted timely as they would be if someone had come along with me and/or knew my whereabouts

I'm not responsible for what an assailant might do to me. I do, however, within the context of this particular situation, have the ability to make safer choices.

It's directly relative within the context of the conversation that we were having.

You said this:

I asked you if personality does not come into play at all? Does our self esteem, emotional health prior to trauma and perhaps even education not influence how we react to trauma?

Do you think it unlikely that other people wouldn't react with the ferocity that you and I might?

Thank God, this is anecdotal and assumptive on our parts to a great degree. You're right. You can't know how you might react to a situation that hasn't occurred to you. But, I can reasonably assume, given my strong feeling on seeing justice served, that I would likely have to be rendered incapable of reporting a crime to not do so.

How are you going to avoid someone who drives up in a car with several others and grabs you by gunpoint? How are you going to avoid someone who catches you off guard?

Again, I'm not accusing victims of being responsible in any way for an attack.

I'm talking about risk. In certain parts of my own community, it's unwise to walk alone after hours as per my explanation above. Statistical data supports such.

Situational awareness and acknowledging risk is important to me. I have a responsibility to do so because I'm not only responsible for myself but for my daughters as well.

This certainly doesn't mean that I live my life paranoid, but, I do exercise what I feel to be better judgement whenever I can.

I can't always steer clear of sketchy characters, unfortunately, because those that are dangerous are often unseen or don't appear to be dangerous. I can't control the actions of others and I can't always know when something negate is going to happen.

But, I can take what I know from crime statistics and apply that to my decision making.

Doing so in my opinion doesn't differ much from acknowledging that risks were pre-existing within the context of a crime. And this does not have to translate to victim shaming/blaming, as seems to be the projection.

I think we generally agree then. We support effective risk reduction methods like not venturing alone at night into areas where violence is commonplace, and I hope we both reject ineffective strategies like dressing modestly, which have the opposite effect because they broadcast a submissive nature.

I'll pour the champagne. :)

I sometimes overlook the dangerous neighborhoods thing because we don't really have those in Canada. I'm much more cautious when I'm traveling.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It should be obvious, but a person's body is not a house. It has no locks. A sexual assault is not a burglary. The psychology of cat burglars and rapists is not necessarily the same - the first is a violation of property for personal enrichment. The second is a direct act of violence against another human being to feel powerful.

There is literally no way for you to "lock up" your own body to keep it safe from physical assault. The only thing you can do is steer clear of violent people. It doesn't matter what you're wearing while you do that.

And again, an alert reader will recognize that the point of the analogy is to illustrate why we engage in risk mitigation, not in comparing people to houses.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Where I have found us disagreeing is the methods of risk reduction. You and others have chosen to focus mostly on women being careful at frat parties, women not being promiscuous, etc. And I find those situations marginal up to the 15% risk reduction rate.

If I focus on how to reduce the risk for the majority of rape cases (such as not getting into relationships with rape apologists), I've been accused of not caring at all about risk reduction. That I'm blind, dismissive, and naive about rape prevention and that my views are harmful.

Why not focus on all rape cases and risk factors, instead of just the majority? Fifteen percent is a lot of cases, and making absolutist claims and conclusions on less-than-complete evidence provides even more room for erring on the side of caution.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Why not focus on all rape cases and risk factors, instead of just the majority? Fifteen percent is a lot of cases, and making absolutist claims and conclusions on less-than-complete evidence provides even more room for erring on the side of caution.

That's been my argument all along. Why just focus on the 15% risks? The ones where the mistaken assumption that the majority of rapes occur at frat parties, strangers jumping out of bushes, or date rape?

They make up a smaller percentage, and while we continue to advocate to potential victims to be aware of those risks, I find it problematic that it's the large majority of rapes occurring as partner rape, spousal rape, and familial rape that are glossed over. I've been beating that drum because not a lot of people are wanting to touch that issue when it comes to rape prevention.

What are your risk assessments for partner and spousal rape? Care to offer any suggestions?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
That's been my argument all along. Why just focus on the 15% risks? The ones where the mistaken assumption that the majority of rapes occur at frat parties, strangers jumping out of bushes, or date rape?

Whose just focusing on the 15% risks? My point is to not ignore them, or pretend they don't exist, just because they aren't the primary risks.

They make up a smaller percentage, and while we continue to advocate to potential victims to be aware of those risks, I find it problematic that it's the large majority of rapes occurring as partner rape, spousal rape, and familial rape that are glossed over. I've been beating that drum because not a lot of people are wanting to touch that issue when it comes to rape prevention.

I think you're making faulty assumptions about peoples' views and arguments.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Whose just focusing on the 15% risks? My point is to not ignore them, or pretend they don't exist, just because they aren't the primary risks.

Great. And my point is to not ignore the primary risks. I don't ignore date rape or stranger rape and look to reduce the risks there, too. But the bigger risk comes from perpetrators that the victim knows. So, that's where I place more of my attention.

I think you're making faulty assumptions about peoples' views and arguments.

You never answered my question. Do you have any suggestions for risk reduction for partner and/or spousal rape?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Great. And my point is to not ignore the primary risks. I don't ignore date rape or stranger rape and look to reduce the risks there, too. But the bigger risk comes from perpetrators that the victim knows. So, that's where I place more of my attention.

That's good to hear. My impression from your earlier arguments didn't correspond with this statement. If that was incorrect, then we are actually in agreement, and all risk factors for rape should be acknowledged and addressed.

You never answered my question. Do you have any suggestions for risk reduction for partner and/or spousal rape?

I'm sure I could look up a number of them, and probably come up with other suggestions/ideas on my own. However, I don't understand the point of the exercise. I'm sure you think you have a point, but I'm just as sure it isn't as germane as you seem to think.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
That's good to hear. My impression from your earlier arguments didn't correspond with this statement. If that was incorrect, then we are actually in agreement, and all risk factors for rape should be acknowledged and addressed.

Awesome. Cool with me. Can we still mud wrestle though?

I'm sure I could look up a number of them, and probably come up with other suggestions/ideas on my own. However, I don't understand the point of the exercise. I'm sure you think you have a point, but I'm just as sure it isn't as germane as you seem to think.

Dang, this is the second time in the last 24 hours I've been looked at as somebody who's just trying to win an argument.

I'm serious when I advocate for rape prevention. Any and all suggestions are considered. The frat party scenario conversation is so 1995, as far as I'm concerned. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it. I'm more focused at the moment on how to assertively address sexual assault on all fronts, from personal to societal, and exploring the dialogue of informed consent into the national conversation is a focus for me as a means to reducing the risk of rape.

I mean, rather like reducing the risk for domestic homicide. For instance, women are more at risk of getting murdered when they are pregnant or shortly after giving birth, as well as if they ineffectively fight back or are discovered to be leaving the relationship. Reducing the immediate risk of homicide for women is having a getaway plan in secret with a variety of local shelters, but there are other ways of lowering risk through awareness programs, addressing through media campaigns of intimate partner violence, screening for depression and alcohol/drug addiction, etc.

For me, I'm looking to pro-actively find ways to introduce the phrase "informed consent" in such a way that it doesn't sound weird anymore...like "designated driver" is now for people (and as a result drunk-driving accidents have decreased over the years).

Is that the only thing I'm focused on or care about? Of course not. I'm always looking for ways to stop sexual assault.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Of course. I'll still wear a cup though.

Dang, this is the second time in the last 24 hours I've been looked at as somebody who's just trying to win an argument.

Oh, my bad then. I've actually been reviewing different sources and materials on this subject, so I'll send you any thoughts I have that you might find relevant.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems that way here. I noticed the "feminist bacon" thread, where it appears to mock
criticism in other threads as meritless. Tis easy to win when opposing views are purpled out.

I have me allies!
200px-Groundkeeper.jpg

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond

I'm serious when I advocate for rape prevention. Any and all suggestions are considered. The frat party scenario conversation is so 1995, as far as I'm concerned. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it. I'm more focused at the moment on how to assertively address sexual assault on all fronts, from personal to societal, and exploring the dialogue of informed consent into the national conversation is a focus for me as a means to reducing the risk of rape.

I mean, rather like reducing the risk for domestic homicide. For instance, women are more at risk of getting murdered when they are pregnant or shortly after giving birth, as well as if they ineffectively fight back or are discovered to be leaving the relationship. Reducing the immediate risk of homicide for women is having a getaway plan in secret with a variety of local shelters, but there are other ways of lowering risk through awareness programs, addressing through media campaigns of intimate partner violence, screening for depression and alcohol/drug addiction, etc.

For me, I'm looking to pro-actively find ways to introduce the phrase "informed consent" in such a way that it doesn't sound weird anymore...like "designated driver" is now for people (and as a result drunk-driving accidents have decreased over the years).

Is that the only thing I'm focused on or care about? Of course not. I'm always looking for ways to stop sexual assault.

That sounds like a new thread with some ground rules. Effective assault prevention strategies. All suggestions must be backed by evidence: statistical correlation, for example.

I am at work and posting from my phone, and you'd do a better job given your experience. Nudge nudge. :D

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
It seems that way here. I noticed the "feminist bacon" thread, where it appears to mock
criticism in other threads as meritless. Tis easy to win when opposing views are purpled out.

I have me allies!
200px-Groundkeeper.jpg

Face it. You secretly so want to join that thread for two reasons:

1) It has bacon in it
2) You could post limericks

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Face it. You secretly so want to join that thread for two reasons:

1) It has bacon in it
2) You could post limericks
Seriously though, I don't belong there. The forum's exclusivity offers a safe harbor which some need.
That's perfectly fine. But I'd have to stifle myself too much to fit in. "Bacon" caught my attention.
I haven't limericked in a while. Well, I did give some newlyweds on last weak, but it was IRL.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
That sounds like a new thread with some ground rules. Effective assault prevention strategies. All suggestions must be backed by evidence: statistical correlation, for example.

I am at work and posting from my phone, and you'd do a better job given your experience. Nudge nudge. :D

Done.

You're welcome. :D