• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "God does not exist" is a positive claim

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Yeah, if you have in effect a belief system that works for you, good for you. If you can meet the burden of proof in the strong sense of in effect valid and true, then unpack how you do it. Otherwise you are like the rest of us and can't do that.
The whole burden of proof whine fest is typically from those who want to shove their bold empty claims down everyone else's throats.

What I have observed is that theists are the ones typically most vocal about it.
A great many of them do not like that there are now atheists doing it to them.

Funny how quickly "do unto others as you would have done to you" gets ditched once the others start doing unto to you what you have done unto others.

RestlessSoul

Outside the wishful thinking of those claiming a deity exists, there is no evidence that a deity exists.
Let alone convincing evidence.

Perhaps it has something to do with not being a choir member?

there we go.
Defended better than any defense in support of a deity existing.

Your turn.

Ah, but there is. And it's all around you, you just choose not to see it.

"The world that science describes seems to me, with it's order, intelligibility, potentiality, and tightly knit character, to be one that is consonant with the idea that it is the expression of the will of a creator."
- Rev John Polkinghorne, professor of mathematical physics, University of Cambridge

"As we look out into the Universe and identify the many accidents of physics and astronomy that have worked together to our benefit, it almost seems as if the Universe must in some sense have known we were coming."
- Freeman Dyson, theoretical physicist and mathematician

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The whole burden of proof whine fest is typically from those who want to shove their bold empty claims down everyone else's throats.

What I have observed is that theists are the ones typically most vocal about it.
A great many of them do not like that there are now atheists doing it to them.

Funny how quickly "do unto others as you would have done to you" gets ditched once the others start doing unto to you what you have done unto others.

Well, yes. But I am none of those. I am an atheists, non-religious and a skeptic.
Now I want to live in a democracy where it is so boring that it is in effect run as a compromise.
So if anybody cliams in effect objective knowledge then I ask for in effect evidence. And that is not limited to theists, as they are not the only one who claims objective knowledge.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

"The world that science describes seems to me, with it's order, intelligibility, potentiality, and tightly knit character, to be one that is consonant with the idea that it is the expression of the will of a creator."
- Rev John Polkinghorne, professor of mathematical physics, University of Cambridge

"As we look out into the Universe and identify the many accidents of physics and astronomy that have worked together to our benefit, it almost seems as if the Universe must in some sense have known we were coming."

The more indirect one is that all versions of in effect physicalism and related varaints are in effect based on a non-physical principle. Thus in other words relality has in effect an element of ontological idealism even for physicalism.

RestlessSoul

The more indirect one is that all versions of in effect physicalism and related varaints are in effect based on a non-physical principle. Thus in other words relality has in effect an element of ontological idealism even for physicalism.

Absolutely. Physics needs a metaphysics, if it is to tell the story of the universe. And of course, any narrative we construct to help us understand the world, is a tool of us, the observer.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
And that is not limited to theists, as they are not the only one who claims objective knowledge.
Which is exactly why I did not limit it to theists...

I actually agree with the OP in that "God Does Not Exist" is a claim that has a burden of proof attached to it.
JUST LIKE the claim "God Exists".

IsraelMoses

Can the people with, it appears, all knowledge and all wisdom of the ages, are they able to prove that the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Jesus and the Holy Spirit, does not exist ? When I was a kid, I wondered, if He exists, then He has a mouth, because He is made in our image, still wondering, how can He be everywhere, at the same time ? He is Spirit. A lady, pastor's wife, said He has been calling me for a long time, so I realized about the small, still, voice and started documenting, the best I could, my dreams, the words that came of which I thought that it was my thoughts. How can anybody tell another person, especially a person that lives 1ooo's of miles away, what they didn't see or hear ??? Logic, is useless, dealing with something, that you have no knowledge of. If man relied on his educated guesses, we would still be lingering in the Dark Ages, a closed book, not believing in UFO's, UAP's, Sasquatch, because you didn't see it, so it
doesn't exist ???

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Appeals to authority only work for the choir.