• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is Atheism So Unpopular In America?

Nanda

Polyanna
A loud voice compared to what? I don't think there is any comparison between how many people atheists reach with their message and how many people evangelicals reach with theirs.

Maybe it's the fact that they now have to hear our opinions at all. Saying something, anything, is a hell of a lot louder than staying silent in the closet for fear of being persecuted.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I'm not talking about converts. For years we had this group demanding taking down all religious things in public places. They wanted to take down the ten commandments that were in front of the court house. They were petitioning to have a guy take down a large cross that was on his property. Just a bunch of stuff like that. It seems like they can't be content until they have everything their way.
On the other hand, I have never been to a huge dance party without finding a "jesus saves" bus waiting at the end of the party.:D

Really though...

O and "we" don't want it our way, by taking away those things you level the system, not bring it our way.. *whistles*

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Maybe it's the fact that they now have to hear our opinions at all. Saying something, anything, is a hell of a lot louder than staying silent in the closet for fear of being persecuted.

I have no problem with hearing opinions. Just stop trying to push your opinons on the majority. Not meaning you specifically, Nanda. I'm sure most of those things were more specific to the group in this area.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm not talking about converts. For years we had this group demanding taking down all religious things in public places. They wanted to take down the ten commandments that were in front of the court house. They were petitioning to have a guy take down a large cross that was on his property. Just a bunch of stuff like that. It seems like they can't be content until they have everything their way.

Were they attempting to prevent people from being religious -- or just prevent the state from endorsing a religion?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Were they attempting to prevent people from being religious -- or just prevent the state from endorsing a religion?

I don't know what their intentions were. But it seems as if they are trying to destroy the historical roots of America.

If America was founded on Muslim laws i would have no problem having muslim laws shown in from of a courthouse. It's the history of the Nation. Christian or not that's the way it is.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't know what their intentions were. But it seems as if they are trying to destroy the historical roots of America.

If America was founded on Muslim laws i would have no problem having muslim laws shown in from of a courthouse. It's the history of the Nation. Christian or not that's the way it is.

But wasn't the US founded as a secular nation?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Where ever there are several groups following a different ideal, you will have strugle to become the top.. Some don't care, some care a lot. On both sides..

So whatever is history should stay? No room for changes or improvements?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
But wasn't the US founded as a secular nation?

Yes. But the laws were based one the Christian values represented in the Ten Commandments which the founders of the nation believed in. So the Ten Commandments are the roots of the laws in the United States. Showing the Ten Commandments is simply showing the source of our laws. It's not promoting Christianty, it's depicting the historical values our nation was founded on.

If the laws of America were based on some other document we would show that document.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yes. But the laws were based one the Christian values represented in the Ten Commandments which the founders of the nation believed in. So the Ten Commandments are the roots of the laws in the United States. Showing the Ten Commandments is simply showing the source of our laws. It's not promoting Christianty, it's depicting the historical values our nation was founded on.

If the laws of America were based on some other document we would show that document.

I thought the laws of the US were more largely based on British Common Law.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Actually right now I think it would be much better to put the Constitution and Bill of Rights in public places. Americans need to learn those documents more than anything else.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think the United States should be a true democracy. It would allow the true voice of the people to be known. Wether for good or bad the voice of the people would be heard and this is the only thing that really matters.
I most definitely disagree.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hmmm. Maybe it's not that popular but the Atheists sure have a loud voice.
In my experience, I've noticed that people tend to believe that others think the same way they do until they have a reason to think otherwise.

It could very well be that a significant number of the people you take to be theists are the quiet atheists. ;)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Actually right now I think it would be much better to put the Constitution and Bill of Rights in public places. Americans need to learn those documents more than anything else.
I definitely agree.
It is really sad how many people know little to nothing about those two documents.