• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is Atheism So Unpopular In America?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I agree with this, atheism opens the mnd to freethought and rationalism, religion too often closes the door on alternatives, and people blindly accept whatever the church decides to teach them.

I guess I should leave my church so my mind can be opened to all the possiblities of the universe.

Funny thing, I did lots of searching, contemplation before accepting what I believe. I don't blindly accept anything.

But ofcourse religious people can't be open minded or rational so I should disregard all of the things I did to find what I believe.

logician

I guess I should leave my church so my mind can be opened to all the possiblities of the universe.

Funny thing, I did lots of searching, contemplation before accepting what I believe. I don't blindly accept anything.

But ofcourse religious people can't be open minded or rational so I should disregard all of the things I did to find what I believe.

Congratulations to you, for me, religion was stifling, and I thought it was for most of the people I went to church with. Mumbling the apostles creed when you know it can't be true isn't my idea of open-mindedness.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Congratulations to you, for me, religion was stifling, and I thought it was for most of the people I went to church with. Mumbling the apostles creed when you know it can't be true isn't my idea of open-mindedness.

Well I'm glad you have found something that helps you grow as an individual. I'm ure what you have found is right for you.

I just find it upsetting when people equate religion with mindless followers not allowed to thing for themselves.

My religion encourages people to find out things for themselves. Religion isn't a crutch because I can't think for myself. Religion allows me to expand my view of the universe. If it wasn't for my religion I'm sure I would have a very narrow dim view of the universe. It's what is right for me.

EDIT: I'm not sure what an apostle's creed is.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's why we have the Bill of Rights. These laws protect the rights of the minority and the majority. I said a pure democracy not a free for all. Pure democracy is still a form of government. It allows all opinions to be represented accurately instead of interpreted througha representative that probably has their own agenda.
Ah. I think we've stumbled into a terminology issue:

- pure democracy: a system in which the majority decision is enacted in all situations, with no checks, minority rights or limitations on power at all: the most votes wins, period.

- direct democracy: a system in which the electorate votes on each bill, resolution, motion, etc. directly, rather than electing representatives who vote on these things on the electorate's behalf.

Edit: the Apostle's Creed is a statement that various Christian denominations use as a summary of some of the major tenets of their faith. I'm not sure how it's handled in Protestantism (none of the Protestant churches I've ever attended have used it), but during a Catholic mass, at one point, the priest asks the congregation to "stand to profess our faith" and they recite the Creed together as a sort of declaration of shared beliefs.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
Ah. I think we've stumbled into a terminology issue:

- pure democracy: a system in which the majority decision is enacted in all situations, with no checks, minority rights or limitations on power at all: the most votes wins, period.

- direct democracy: a system in which the electorate votes on each bill, resolution, motion, etc. directly, rather than electing representatives who vote on these things on the electorate's behalf.

Edit: the Apostle's Creed is a statement that various Christian denominations use as a summary of some of the major tenets of their faith. I'm not sure how it's handled in Protestantism (none of the Protestant churches I've ever attended have used it), but during a Catholic mass, at one point, the priest asks the congregation to "stand to profess our faith" and they recite the Creed together as a sort of declaration of shared beliefs.

Ah, now that clears some things up. I've never heard that difference in terminology before. So direct democracy is what I stand for. For me your definition of pure democracy doesn't qualify as a government. It is as you said mob rule. A government implies structure and organization. but anyway, That's been cleared up.

Hmmm. We don't have anything like anApostle's creed in my religion. There's nothing we all recite together at our meetings.

Fluffy

A fool
Generalisations About Groups Of Individuals
There is much controversy surrounding the debate about the merits of evaluation through generalisation versus evaluation of the individual. This isn't helped due to each position typically lacking rigour and sophistication. Given this, the issue can't be given anywhere near adequate analysis here but I tentatively offer the following as reasons to be cautious when encountering generalisation.

(To be clear, I am only talking about generalisations about groups of individuals)

Firstly, due to the large variation between individuals, we need to give serious consideration to the charge of inaccuracy. If a generalisation is inaccurate, this would lead to poor reasoning and, consequently, poor judgement. Is it worth generalising unless we can determine the accuracy of our generalisation? How can we assume that generalisations have epistemic value unless we have first considered how much epistemic value they actually possess?

Secondly, generalisations create a cyclic dependence on inaccuracy. Any generalisation that isn't universal is, by definition, inaccurate and, in using them, we create a belief set of which the coherence dependent on them. This then necessitates a greater tolerance of inaccuracy in our belief set which opens the door to further generalisations and generalisations that are even less accurate.

Thirdly, generalisations create a cyclic emotional charge greater than that associated with evaluating the individual. Whenever we make a judgement, we associate positivity or negativity with that judgement which then biases us in our future judgements. When we do this with individuals, we can end up failing to evaluate them accurately. When we induce features of individuals onto groups, this risk future bias is multiplied greatly because it then becomes easier to ignore those individuals that buck the identified trend.

Examples of generalisations about atheists in this thread can be seen in the posts of Somkid, Sola'or, Bouncing Ball and others as quoted below.

I think because there are so many religious people and when you tell them they are living a lie they tend to get annoyed.

Hmmm. Maybe it's not that popular but the Atheists sure have a loud voice.

Both theists and atheists want to express their thoughts. The standard atheist way, sadly, is to throw with words like "rational", "science", "meaningless bookquotes", etc..
This could make the theist feel like the atheist is saying, "I am smarter than you, I think", while theists are thinking just as hard, only in a different section. I can imagine that being annoying.

Just as annoying as "you just got to have faith" or "Atheists do not exist" btw :D

As atheists, I feel that we need to be careful about how we respond to such generalisations. If generalisations about groups of individuals are faulty then attempting to refute those generalisations is, at the very least, an insufficient response as it looks at the truth of the premises without considering the validity of the argument. By ignoring the issue of validity we create more work for ourselves by having to research the epistemic justification of the claim; risk implying that the argument is valid; and, perhaps most dangerously, fail to challenge the worldview that generates generalisations.

Religion & Politics: What Does Separation Mean?

I feel that 9-10ths Penguin gives an excellent account of this issue:

Because government laws don't dictate the consciouses and actions of the electorate, I'm guessing. That bit is part of what the American founding fathers intended, IMO. Nobody has the right to hold political office, so if the voters don't want atheists to be elected, atheists don't get elected.

Much of this debate is semantics. When Jeremiah says

You can't have a separation of state and religion in a democracy. Where 80% of the populous is of similar faith with the power to vote.

then he is right if you define separation to mean that voters cannot base their political decisions according to their religious beliefs.

On the one hand this position has merit. There appear to be many that simultaneously want universal suffrage but also want complete separation of church and state without given an account of how these two may be held coherently.

On the other hand this position misses the point. When criticising a position we must find the strongest possible argument and tackle that. There is no merit in knocking down a weak argument for a position for which there is a stronger. In this the stronger argument is the one that carefully defines what it means by separation of church and state and notably excludes voter obligation.

That an atheist cannot openly be elected president of the United States of America is indeed cause for concern but casting it as part of this debate is not productive for atheists. It is an issue of social tolerance, respect and understanding all of which require the changing of individual attitudes. This cannot be done by legal means and so we should stop referring to the Constitution when we attempt to achieve it.

By all means require of your government that atheists are equally protected under law as any other group. However, when it comes to promoting tolerance, that approach will achieve nothing.

Ozzie and rojse specifically associate separation with the unpopularity of atheism:

Hint: Move to a country with a separation between religion and politics.

I thought America had a segregation between religion and politics. I thought it was a clear statement in the first amendment.

It is very true that America has separation of religion and politics but there is nothing incoherent about that and a lack of tolerance amongst some Americans towards atheists. Additionally, the law should not be advocated as the potential solution to this problem. If we want the law to preserve democracy then it can only prevent intolerance, not promote tolerance.

logician

Actually, most protestant churches I've been in DO say or recite the apostle's creed.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Or perhaps I just have a higher opinion of people than you. I willing to bet against the idea that the majority of people now a days are willing to support slavery or suppression of women. Times change people grow it is the society that controls a society not a government. People are not the dark picture you are painting.
More likely you align yourself with the current majority and want it stay the way it is.

Jeremiah

Back on topic.

I think that atheist partly due to their own accord are typically stereotyped. The whole atheist stance is not a very appealing one. It's somewhat of a common trend for those individuals that go from theist to atheist to have a period of depression and/or bitterness. Perhaps a time of adjustment but I do have to admit certain areas of atheistic philosophy can be depressing. Also because of this stereotyping atheist are met with a higher than normal resistance to their ideas and this can be daunting on the atheist. Public opinion can hold sway over individual opinion and as long as this negative stereotype of atheism is held than so will the resistance to atheism. I also think that there are another factors that contributes to that stereotype. For one the atheistic stance is an opposition of the theistic stance this does create some friction.

But perhaps the media campaign against the godless communists had something to do with this also. God know Fox new's bashing of Islam has swayed public opinion in an unhealthy direction.

crystalonyx

IT is true that the media, and many people try to associate atheism with immorality. I've had people who know I am an atheist ask me why I would try to be moral, I tell them morality comes from within, not without, and religious belief is not needed to be "moral".

gnostic

The Lost One
It's why I hate American politics.

Most of these speeches of American politicians and leaders sound like they are preaching or giving sermons that if you don't vote for him, you are godless scums who deserve to be burnt in hell. These pollies should be preachers, not politicians.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

That's why we have the Bill of Rights. These laws protect the rights of the minority and the majority. I said a pure democracy not a free for all. Pure democracy is still a form of government. It allows all opinions to be represented accurately instead of interpreted througha representative that probably has their own agenda. The minority should not rule over the majority. The majority cannot eliminate the rights of the minority. Everyone's voice should be heard the basic laws of the nation keep everything civil. I can't believe anyone would not want opinions to be represented accurately in the government. Unless they have some other motive that doesn't allow for the people goverened to be accuratly represented.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. What you are describing is not a pure democracy!!! You are describing a constitutional republic. Pure democracy means that we all vote, and the majority rules, on ALL issues. Not just issues that would conflict with our Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights, indeed, the entire Constitution is laying out the rights and duties of everybody. Lays down a set of rules that cannot be breached, even by majority rule.

Pure democracy is pure mob rule, and you have a tyrany of the majority. Our Constitutional Republic is far from perfect, and is, indeed, a terrible form of goverment, an awful one, in fact. . . its just that all other forms that have been tried are so much worse.

Besides the very real problem of pure democracy (not working within a Constitutional framework) being merely organized mob rule, there is the very real, practical problem of . . . how are you going to work out such a system in a nation of 260 plus million people? It is completely untenable, as you cannot have every person vote on every law, rule and regulation that ever gets passed.

If you are going to continue discussing poly/sci issues, I think you might want to pick up a tome or two on the subject. Half Priced Books has a great section on govermnent and politics in every branch.

When somebody says they want a pure democracy, then describe a situation where the majority is not able to encroach on the rights of the minority (two diametrically opposed ideas, btw) then that gives me pause.

B.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

And of course, after I post the above, I go back and realize that Penguin had already made my points, and in a much more eloquent way. Ahh the things you miss on Ambien.

B.

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
And of course, after I post the above, I go back and realize that Penguin had already made my points, and in a much more eloquent way. Ahh the things you miss on Ambien.

Yes we discussed the differences between pure and direct democracy.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. What you are describing is not a pure democracy!!! You are describing a constitutional republic. Pure democracy means that we all vote, and the majority rules, on ALL issues. Not just issues that would conflict with our Bill of Rights.

No a republic is where people elect representatives to make decisions on their behalf. I am talking about a government where everybody votes on issues.

The Bill of Rights, indeed, the entire Constitution is laying out the rights and duties of everybody. Lays down a set of rules that cannot be breached, even by majority rule.

Exactly.

Pure democracy is pure mob rule, and you have a tyrany of the majority. Our Constitutional Republic is far from perfect, and is, indeed, a terrible form of goverment, an awful one, in fact. . . its just that all other forms that have been tried are so much worse.

Yep we aleready covered the meanings of Pure and Direct Democracy.

Besides the very real problem of pure democracy (not working within a Constitutional framework) being merely organized mob rule, there is the very real, practical problem of . . . how are you going to work out such a system in a nation of 260 plus million people? It is completely untenable, as you cannot have every person vote on every law, rule and regulation that ever gets passed.

Hmmm. It seems like the internet would be a perfect way to inform the public and have everybody cast their votes.

If you are going to continue discussing poly/sci issues, I think you might want to pick up a tome or two on the subject. Half Priced Books has a great section on govermnent and politics in every branch.

If I ever get involved in starting or revolutionizing a country I'll be sure to do that.

When somebody says they want a pure democracy, then describe a situation where the majority is not able to encroach on the rights of the minority (two diametrically opposed ideas, btw) then that gives me pause.

Pause away. It makes sense to me. Even elected representatives must vote on issues. Even they can't encroach on the right of minority. It seems that it works with a small group of elected representatives just as well as it could work with a large group citizens.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Actually, most protestant churches I've been in DO say or recite the apostle's creed.
Sorry - I didn't mean to suggest that my "most Protestant churches" was representative of Protestantism as a whole, only that I didn't know how the Creed was used in the Protestant churches that I've never visited

My exposure to Protestant churches is fairly small: basically a few United churches for friends' weddings, plus my grandmother's Baptist church when I was little (though when I would go there, I would spend more time in Sunday school than in the actual service). On top of that, there have been a few unprogrammed Quaker meetings, but I recognize that they don't share a lot in common with any other Christian style of communal worship.

tomspug

Absorbant
I think a good reason for atheism thriving in Communist nations as opposed to Democratic nations is because without a belief in God people are more likely to believe in people. In other words, since there is no greater power, people must find a source of belief somewhere else, making it easier for people to be manipulated by the government.

Of course, smart atheists would be better off not believing in anything. Although I'd think that would be rather hard since humans seem to be naturally drawn to the spiritual.

logician

I think a good reason for atheism thriving in Communist nations as opposed to Democratic nations is because without a belief in God people are more likely to believe in people. In other words, since there is no greater power, people must find a source of belief somewhere else, making it easier for people to be manipulated by the government.

Of course, smart atheists would be better off not believing in anything. Although I'd think that would be rather hard since humans seem to be naturally drawn to the spiritual.

This post doesn't totally make sense, as you are implying in a democratic goverment that belief in god is somehow obvious or mandatory. In our form of government, there is supposed to be a total separation of church and state.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
I think a good reason for atheism thriving in Communist nations as opposed to Democratic nations is because without a belief in God people are more likely to believe in people.
Eh, atheism thrives in Communist nations because religion is not tolerated.
Unless your culture has a great deal of oil, in the case of Islam in the USSR.
In other words, since there is no greater power, people must find a source of belief somewhere else, making it easier for people to be manipulated by the government.
the fanaticism of Communism occurs because the government targets the mutable young and turns them into whatever they want. Conjecture of course, as is yours.