• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is Atheism So Unpopular In America?

Smoke

Done here.
The laws of the United States are based on the Magna Carta much more than the Ten Commandments, IMO.
It's not even a matter of opinion. When has the United States had laws against idolatry, or covetousness, or disrespecting one's parents? We have had at times state or local laws against commerce on the first day, but never on the seventh. The assertion that our laws are based on the Ten Commandments is patently absurd, and anyone who bothered to give it even a moment's thought would realize that.

Ozzie

I thought America had a segregation between religion and politics. I thought it was a clear statement in the first amendment.
Well it doesn't practically otherwise why are atheist candidates unelectable?

Ozzie

It's not even a matter of opinion. When has the United States had laws against idolatry, or covetousness, or disrespecting one's parents? We have had at times state or local laws against commerce on the first day, but never on the seventh. The assertion that our laws are based on the Ten Commandments is patently absurd, and anyone who bothered to give it even a moment's thought would realize that.
Religion does not obey law. Laws separating religion and politics are at least as ineffectual as laws outlawing religion. Religious law operates on a different level, so we agree on that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well it doesn't practically otherwise why are atheist candidates unelectable?
Because government laws don't dictate the consciouses and actions of the electorate, I'm guessing. That bit is part of what the American founding fathers intended, IMO. Nobody has the right to hold political office, so if the voters don't want atheists to be elected, atheists don't get elected.

rojse

RF Addict
You can't have a separation of state and religion in a democracy. Where 80% of the populous is of similar faith with the power to vote.

The Bill of Rights enshrines this separation of state and religion. It means that no one is discriminated against, regardless of their religion, and so forth. How this happens in practice is a different post altogether.

How similar do others see this similarity? How do Baptists view Mormons, for example? How do Christians view Seventh Day Adventists?

I will agree, though, with an eighty percent representation in the US, it makes it hard for the non-faithful to have their fair share of representation in the government.

rojse

RF Addict
I think the United States should be a true democracy. It would allow the true voice of the people to be known. Wether for good or bad the voice of the people would be heard and this is the only thing that really matters.

Is everyone really equipped to voice their opinions based on facts and logical thought, or merely emotional rubbish?

Super Universe

Defender of God
Except that it doesn't seem to be very good at removing all the value from existence for the atheist. More or less the only people it seems to remove all the value from existence for are theists. Why is that?[/size] Why do theists think atheism removes all the value from existence when atheists themselves don't usually think it does?

Because athiests too often associatte God with loss of freedom. God is nothing more than a loss of self control. You turn yourself over to religious tradition, ritual, and closed minded thinking.

Some people see athiesm as being liberating, and it is. No more denying your true self. No more giving control to others.

Ozzie

Because government laws don't dictate the consciouses and actions of the electorate, I'm guessing. That bit is part of what the American founding fathers intended, IMO. Nobody has the right to hold political office, so if the voters don't want atheists to be elected, atheists don't get elected.
Why should religious belief (any) have any relevance to the right to hold political office, as it does in the USA?

rojse

RF Addict
I'm not talking about converts. For years we had this group demanding taking down all religious things in public places. They wanted to take down the ten commandments that were in front of the court house. They were petitioning to have a guy take down a large cross that was on his property. Just a bunch of stuff like that. It seems like they can't be content until they have everything their way.

For the ten commandments at the court house, America enshrines the separation of religion and politics. Surely removing a visible symbol of a Church is well within their rights, legally? In fact, isn't it more of a question how those commandments came to be at the Court house when this law is clearly enshrined in the Bill of Rights?

I have no idea about the cross, though. That's a bit far, making demands of what people can display on their own lawn. But I haven't heard the other side of the argument, either.

You can't just blame atheists for these events, either. There are a lot of other religions that do not like the visible display of religious symbols, when it is not their own.

rojse

RF Addict
Or perhaps I just have a higher opinion of people than you. I willing to bet against the idea that the majority of people now a days are willing to support slavery or suppression of women. Times change people grow it is the society that controls a society not a government. People are not the dark picture you are painting.

What Mestemia is pointing out is that there may be areas like this that are clearly of benefit to the public, but that public is, in general, not emotionally detached enough to know that this is the case at the current point in time.

rojse

RF Addict
Yet for some reason every president i can think of has been religious... and religion is constantly mentioned by the president and people of office...not to mention in the Pledge of Allegiance. For some reason the separation of church and state is said, but not held...as with most of the constitution at this point.

That is because the majority of the public is religious.

The separation is not that no one religious can enter office, but the office cannot change the laws to favour one particular religion over another.

Ozzie

That is because the majority of the public is religious.

The separation is not that no one religious can enter office, but the office cannot change the laws to favour one particular religion over another.
But any religion is preferable to no religion ie atheism. Why do the voters reject the intention of the forfathers to separate religion and state?

rojse

RF Addict
But any religion is preferable to no religion ie atheism. Why do the voters reject the intention of the forfathers to separate religion and state?

Really? Would you vote for a Muslim over an Atheist (no offense to muslims, only as an example in that some see this as unfavourable.) What about a Luciferian? Or a Pagan?

Even should you have answered yes to any or all of these, how many other people in America would be so enlightened?

Ozzie

Really? Would you vote for a Muslim over an Atheist (no offense to muslims, only as an example in that some see this as unfavourable.) What about a Luciferian? Or a Pagan?
Yes well, Muslim candidates are preferable to atheists in America.
Even should you have answered yes to any or all of these, how many other people in America would be so enlightened?
Begs the question:cool:

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
What is atheism so unpopular in America?

Not just America. But America has lots of people of one group, so it becomes obviously a little easier.

Both theists and atheists want to express their thoughts. The standard atheist way, sadly, is to throw with words like "rational", "science", "meaningless bookquotes", etc..
This could make the theist feel like the atheist is saying, "I am smarter than you, I think", while theists are thinking just as hard, only in a different section. I can imagine that being annoying.

Just as annoying as "you just got to have faith" or "Atheists do not exist" btw :D

rojse

RF Addict
Begs the question:cool:

I don't pretend to know what that means, but even though you are quite accepting of other religions, are other people that way in America? Some people, for example, equate Muslims with terrorism, however poorly this is justified. Others see Luciferianism as devil-worship, and who would want to vote for someone that worships demons?

Although these comparisons are unjustified when you actually talk to people that worship that religion, or do some personal research, how many people are open-minded enough to do this?

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
In a pure democracy that you describe, I could, if charming enough get all my neighbors to decide it is imperitive that we take you and your family out into the front yard, and have all the recently released sex offenders in the area have their way with each and every one of you, just before we take 1/2 inch rebar to your kids, breaking all their long bones, then your spouse, then you, and then we let the dogs, who haven't been fed in a week, loose on what's left of you. All it would take is a majority of us deciding it was acceptable.

I sure hope you are picking up why a pure democracy is such a bad thing. It is merely mob rule. No minority positions are protected. People that advocate your position, I have noticed, tend to fall comfortably within the normal range in their neighborhood, but just think for a minute about how your life would look if the demographics change, and you find yourself not in the majority. . . hint, it can get a little ugly if you are not part of the majority, see parapgraph one for a refresher course.

B.

That's why we have the Bill of Rights. These laws protect the rights of the minority and the majority. I said a pure democracy not a free for all. Pure democracy is still a form of government. It allows all opinions to be represented accurately instead of interpreted througha representative that probably has their own agenda. The minority should not rule over the majority. The majority cannot eliminate the rights of the minority. Everyone's voice should be heard the basic laws of the nation keep everything civil. I can't believe anyone would not want opinions to be represented accurately in the government. Unless they have some other motive that doesn't allow for the people goverened to be accuratly represented.

crystalonyx

Because athiests too often associatte God with loss of freedom. God is nothing more than a loss of self control. You turn yourself over to religious tradition, ritual, and closed minded thinking.

Some people see athiesm as being liberating, and it is. No more denying your true self. No more giving control to others.

I agree with this, atheism opens the mnd to freethought and rationalism, religion too often closes the door on alternatives, and people blindly accept whatever the church decides to teach them.