• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "one God"?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Nice to hear from you again. :)
So what does a God look like - I (we) don't know. how much does it weigh? I (we) don't know. Don't know if God has weight even.God's Density, we don't know. volume, we don't know. So, do we know any of the physical properties of God? To be honest, NO, Nothing.

Now what about the mathematical properties-
To say that there is one God, you have to accept that there is a mathematical property in God , which enables one to Count God.

for example, one can count apples, oranges etc. But can we count space -NO, water -NO (these have uncountable property). we say little space, some water etc but not one water (one liter of water is different - it is the liter we count). In Hindu religion there is a saying, that "God is everywhere". in the water, in the air, in you , in me, etc. so if we take some water, there is God in it ( not some God in it)- Pour it into two glass and you haven't halved God as you pour it into the two glasses . there is not the same god in the two glass of water nor two Gods in those glasses of water, but God in those water. Is that the mathematical property of God - I don't know.

What I am asking is when we say one God, How do we know that God has this mathematical property which enables us to count God. what i am saying isn't it more truthful or more elegant to say just "God" than "one God"
I hope you get my point.
Personally, I believe we are all God sent. our morale, our subconscious inherent nature to do the rightful is the God sent message to each and one of us. And i definitely believe that God doesn't need the help of religion and Prophets to give us Gods message.

Thanking you.
:)

I think you need to keep in mind that the god of the classical monotheists is more abstract than this. Their god is not immanent, or synonymous with physical reality, meaning it's not going to have physical qualities. I was kind of perplexed that you were even asking this in the OP, because it doesn't meaningfully apply to the classical monotheist god-concept. There are logical arguments that the classical monotheists use to justify the notion that the creator of all things must be singular. I don't agree with them, but the point is, these arguments are not grounded in some sort of physical nature, they're grounded in abstract logic and idea.

If your entire point is to get people to say "God" and not "one God," I think this is a bit too much quibbling over semantics.

HekaMa'atRa

There are plenty of false gods. None of them can prove their Godship.
Jehovah does and has proven his claim to be the only true God, by
  • Foretelling his future purposes and bringing them to reality.
  • Acting in human history when his purpose required it. Example: Jehovah destroyed Egypt as a world power to release the Israelites from slavery and to magnify himself as the only true God.
  • Revealing himself through his creative works
  • Providing his Son as a ransom for sins and resurrecting him from the dead.
  • Recording the truth about himself, his will and purposes in the Holy Scriptures
  • Raising up a great crowd of witnesses who worship and serve Jehovah at all costs

You really can't use the Bible as evidence to support your religion due to the fact it was written by men. Your God didn't record anything. Now if you want to say he divinely inspired people to write the holy scriptures then fine, but he physically didn't write them down, nor did they magically appear. And even then, saying "My god proved his godship because of this book here written thousands of years ago by people who believed in him and felt all other religions were false!" - is also a silly notion. I can provide a large assortment of stories and mythologies that does the same for other religions.

Also there is no historic account of the Moses story. There is no evidence of the plagues, the sea parting, etc. Nor is there any historical record of Moses ever existing. He was a supposed Egyptian prince - there is no record of his name. The Bible doesn't even give the Pharaoh's name. As for the time-frame of the proposed story, Egypt remained a world power and its religion lasted for thousands of years after. So no, they were not "destroyed."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now back to the Sun/plurality discussion. Using the one Sun in our solar system as an analogy/proof to the idea of a sole God is a little bit ridiculous - because like mentioned, there are trillions of suns in the universe and even if you were to set those additional suns in your mind aside, our one sun is made up of many different components. Just as everything is. Everything has a plurality.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
Why does every theistic religion claim theres only one "right" god instead of realizing this "One" God is the god of all religions?

HekaMa'atRa

Why does every theistic religion claim theres only one "right" god instead of realizing this "One" God is the god of all religions?

That's the way I see it. Religion is simply an interpretation of the Divine. That Divinity is one and many. There is no absolute truth - only your own truth and how you view the Divine. There is no false religion. At least.... that's my personal religious philosophy.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
That's the way I see it. Religion is simply an interpretation of the Divine. That Divinity is one and many. There is no absolute truth - only your own truth and how you view the Divine. There is no false religion. At least.... that's my personal religious philosophy.

I do believe that there are false and/or irrelevant aspects of religion/denominations though, the very ones that separate each religion/denomination from the other. I also believe, though, that such aspects do have purpose, otherwise they would have never been present to begin with, or because purpose became present out of those aspects we created through divine grace. I conclude that for all the aspects we continue to create or find, the divine creates purpose for it. Thats what creates the truth to the individual. At the same time, thats whats causing the separation. I personally believe the divine is in some war, specifically between two factions, suggesting that both can't have the best of both worlds, and explaining why paradoxes are often truths.

I do have to say that maybe war is just my visual representation of the will of the divine, and understanding it and its purpose, but there may be no war after all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

From an anthropological perspective, it is because their monotheism usually develops as an attempt at growing out of ethnocentrism. We have simply not reached the stage when whole peoples manage to understand better.

Then there is the matter of whether "all religions" can truly share the same vision of deity. It is simple enough to show that not to be the case.

morphesium

Thank you for your post.

I think you need to keep in mind that the god of the classical monotheists is more abstract than this. Their god is not immanent, or synonymous with physical reality, meaning it's not going to have physical qualities.
I do agree with this.
I was kind of perplexed that you were even asking this in the OP, because it doesn't meaningfully apply to the classical monotheist god-concept.
Since for monotheists (most monotheists - there could be exceptions everywhere) God does not have physical qualities, if one apply the same logic about its mathematical analogy (quality) , then God is supposed not to have any mathematical qualities either.
Which in turn is against the One God ideology.

There are logical arguments that the classical monotheists use to justify the notion that the creator of all things must be singular. I don't agree with them, but the point is, these arguments are not grounded in some sort of physical nature, they're grounded in abstract logic and idea.
Neither do I. When one think of logic , when one apply to physical qualities, shouldn't one apply the same to its mathematical counterpart. I am an atheist by the way.

If your entire point is to get people to say "God" and not "one God," I think this is a bit too much quibbling over semantics.

Its all part of the argument. i hope....:tonguewink:

best regards.

morphesium

To be honest with you Sir/Ma'am... your post is complicated for me :oops:

That's OK, just relax.

God in my beliefs is countable and he is one deity. He's got a personality like we do, but it is or its nature is unknown except for what we were told. Our heritage also mentions some attributes of His, like having a hand, He gets angry, sentimental, happy, and some others, but we do not know their nature or extent exactly.
OK, fine. No problem there.:hearteyes:

As for placement of God, we believe He is in high in the heavens (not paradise) and sometimes He come down to earth, but again, we do not the nature of his descending if it is in specific places. His knowledge covers every place and time, but He is not every where. Other wise, He would be put in inappropriate places. I don't think it is appropriate to place God in a bathroom for example.
that will be disgusting. really. but then there is a catch. what is disgusting to one may not be so to the other.

I'm really bad in philosophical views.

Not bad actually. you have your own points to make .

Forgive me, this is all I can say in relation to your post :(
I am still searching for the crime in your post so that I can forgive You.:policeofficer::smiley::tonguewink:

regards

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
What you have provided about the prophet's actions is wrong. Even logically it doesn't make sense that one man was able to achieve all this by employing threats and say believe or else.

No, I forgot. He also rallied an invasion force in order to STEAL a pagan temple from its native inhabitants, who were polytheists.

Also, he did use threats. The Quran says if the polytheists want to argue with you repeat to them the stories about Noah, etc. As though that were arguments that refute polytheism. Basically: if you don't believe, my god will kill you.

Sabour

No, I forgot. He also rallied an invasion force in order to STEAL a pagan temple from its native inhabitants, who were polytheists.

Also, he did use threats. The Quran says if the polytheists want to argue with you repeat to them the stories about Noah, etc. As though that were arguments that refute polytheism. Basically: if you don't believe, my god will kill you.

Your first line is false.

Despite if what you are saying is true or not, if you tell your child don't jump from the window because you will die, are you threatening him?

Muhammad peace be upon him never used threats. Part of being a muslim is sincerity. Meaning you have to be a muslim with your heart. Because you want to be. Even the definition of a muslim refuses threats.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Your first line is false.

Despite if what you are saying is true or not, if you tell your child don't jump from the window because you will die, are you threatening him?

Muhammad peace be upon him never used threats. Part of being a muslim is sincerity. Meaning you have to be a muslim with your heart. Because you want to be. Even the definition of a muslim refuses threats.

I call telling polytheists your god will kill them if they reject you threats. As I asked already: why couldn't Muhammad bring legitimate arguments against polytheism?

And the Kabba was a pagan temple. That's historical and archeological fact. The Quran even admits certain elements of the Haaj like safwa and marwa are pre-Islamic.

Sabour

There is One God however different religion attribute different things to God therefore religions get it wrong about God. For example, I would say that Christianity is wrong for saying that god can have a son.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
That's OK, just relax.

OK, fine. No problem there.:hearteyes:

Not bad actually. you have your own points to make .

I am still searching for the crime in your post so that I can forgive You.:policeofficer::smiley::tonguewink:

regards

Cool :)

One thing I'd like to comment about:
that will be disgusting. really. but then there is a catch. what is disgusting to one may not be so to the other.

In my choice of god, I just can't put him in an inappropriate place, whither I think of the idea disgusting or not.`

That however is my belief. I don't mean to disrespect other beliefs.

Sabour

I call telling polytheists your god will kill them if they reject you threats. As I asked already: why couldn't Muhammad bring legitimate arguments against polytheism?

And the Kabba was a pagan temple. That's historical and archeological fact. The Quran even admits certain elements of the Haaj like safwa and marwa are pre-Islamic.

What?? We are all going to die my friend. Who said there were no arguments against polytheism? How do you think the companions accepted Islam?

I am disappointed with your last sentence. I thought you were studying Islam. Anyone studying Islam should know that all the prophets were muslims and Islam was there since Adam.

Abraham peace be upon him was a muslim, like all the prophets.

Sabour

Studying Islam doesn't entail acceptance you know :)

I didn't say what I said because you didn't accept. When you said that Haj involves something pre Islamic, you have actually demonstrated that you didn't study Islam well.

Anyone who studied Islam should know that Islam was there since day one.

Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus (peace be upon them) were all muslims.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
I didn't say what I said because you didn't accept. When you said that Haj involves something pre Islamic, you have actually demonstrated that you didn't study Islam well.

Anyone who studied Islam should know that Islam was there since day one.

Adam, Noah, Moses, Jesus (peace be upon them) were all muslims.

Islam CLAIMS it was there from day one anyway. The Quran says what I said about safwa and marwa.