• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why so many threads/posts about Muslims or Islam?

Jumi

Is it that strange that outsiders want to know about the religions? Especially when they're your new neighbors. There was almost no Islam in my country when I was born. Wouldn't you be curious?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We don't see Muslims in the US protesting and petitioning the government to make atheism a crime here. These practices are largely culturally influenced to a degree, don't you think?
They sure are. That goes without saying.

That does not seem to me like a reason to avoid discussion of the issues, nor to feel reassured when one considers that actual situation and trends.

There are plenty of Christians in the US who want prayer brought back into the schools with laws to protect that right. My daughter just recently took a job in the Southern portion of the US. They pray before every staff meeting. It makes her highly uncomfortable. She wouldn't dare protest or she'd lose her job.
Indeed, Christianity is plagued with similar issues to some degree.

I have no doubt - in fact, I iknow for a fact- that Islamic beliefs are far less of an issue here in Brazil and in many other places than they are in the Middle East or Israel.

That does strike me as besides the point, though.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is it that strange that outsiders want to know about the religions? Especially when they're your new neighbors. There was almost no Islam in my country when I was born. Wouldn't you be curious?
Particularly when you learn that you are supposed to have been born a believer and to gracefully accept the need to "revert" or accept eternal damnation?

Or the political aspects of the faith?

Or the traits of the supposed scholarship of the religion?

All of that would be true even if no people claimed to be obbeying the Quran in order to promote violence, even to the point of suicide.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I'd put it in the general section: ever since joining this site, 90% of the content I have come across is to do with Islam or Muslims, most of it posted by non Muslims. Why is that? For example, if I flick through the european political section, I constantly see more posts about Muslims or Islam (particularly negative) than other, more pressing concerns within the european community, for example, the failing economy, the rise not only of neo-Nazis but of the extreme right, the increase in violence, murder, sex crime, political instability, Britain's role in the EU and so on.

Why is this?
Peace be on you.
IMO, fear of dry-extremists / oily-jihadis overtaking West and materially advanced countries, The proof is that the pure interest in religion has already faded at these places....So true, peaceful and real and loving picture of Islam [which in reality it is] should be shown to them in words and in practice, only then it can be proved to their hearts and mind that Lord of Islam is of All, and Holy Prophet (pbuh) is for All.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
In a way they have an intuition to be a Muslim, if they get convinced heart and soul.Right? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Regards

So you think we all secretly love Islam even if we won't admit it? Nope. I will never bend the knee to the tyrant god of Islam. I am not a slave.

Tomorrows_Child

I agree with you to an extent. At least a good number of the threads seem to me rather transparent attempts to provoke Muslims or misrepresent Islam. However, I'm under the impression that many religious people in general, and many Muslims in particular, do not much like tough questions about their beliefs, etc., and that they often enough condemn tough questions as intended to offend them -- as if that will make the questions go away.

I totally agree with you there, and I think you are quite insightful to point out the similarity between the politics of making Islam and Muslims an issue today, and the politics of making Russian Communism an issue three decades ago.

I don't think that's true at all, for the majority anyway. For example, in my university we just finished off discover Islam week where we were asked a tonne of difficult or tough questions and not a single person took it the wrong way, both the questioners and the people being questioned and most of the former were non-Muslims. If you just have a look at this forum, there are countless posters who have to put up with nonsense and hold themselves up to a very high standard. In fact, as a Muslim personally, I would welcome all questions but as I stated previously, the reason for those questions must be to open a dialogue and to be genuinely interested, not to berate or stick to nonsensical points, which is what most do here....this thread has probably become the best example of that.

I guess it'd be best to be blunt. Islam is really smeared and demonized in western media of late. Politicians have made Islam into a scapegoat, and like always happens sadly- many are falling for it.

Agreed entirely.

It's one of the few religions that maintains the ideal that every verse of its text is correct and as a result there is much crime and social issues that are associated with it.
However it is blown out of proportion for sure.

What crimes are directly linked to the Quran?

That is because your ego is only affected by what concerns you; the site has even percentages of most religions. :rolleyes:

I am not stating this site does not have people from other religions, I'm not sure where you got that idea from. You might want t ore-read my OP.

Again, as I've probably said 10 times, questions and curiosity are great!

Particularly when you learn that you are supposed to have been born a believer and to gracefully accept the need to "revert" or accept eternal damnation?

Or the political aspects of the faith?

Or the traits of the supposed scholarship of the religion?

All of that would be true even if no people claimed to be obbeying the Quran in order to promote violence, even to the point of suicide.

You have just nullified your own argument, because you are 100% right, certain people "claim" to be following the Quran but are doing the exact opposite and their acts have nothing to do Islam. Even if they did, terrorist attacks/activity related to, even by the thinnest of threads, Islam makes up less than 1% of what is happening in Europe and less than 6% in the US.

So why is Christianity, Judaism, Neo-Nazis, the far right extremists not having the same level of exposure, questioning or threads about them on this forum?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So why is Christianity, Judaism, Neo-Nazis, the far right extremists not having the same level of exposure, questioning or threads about them on this forum?
Lol you think Christians and Jews have it easy on this forum? If it upsets you this much make your own threads about these topics.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I am not stating this site does not have people from other religions, I'm not sure where you got that idea from. You might want t ore-read my OP.
The Op doesn't mention other religions, it just says why is 90% of the content you look at about Muslims; when there are clearly issues from all angles....

As saying it is because your ego makes you only respond to threads about yourself.;)

Considering all the media about Muslim issues, you'd think there would be far more topics about Islam, as there are on other chat networks in comparison. o_O

Erebus

Peace be on you.
IMO, fear of dry-extremists / oily-jihadis overtaking West and materially advanced countries, The proof is that the pure interest in religion has already faded at these places....So true, peaceful and real and loving picture of Islam [which in reality it is] should be shown to them in words and in practice, only then it can be proved to their hearts and mind that Lord of Islam is of All, and Holy Prophet (pbuh) is for All.

I realise that your intentions with this post were good. However, it also demonstrates what a lot of people worry about with Islam.

I don't doubt that for a lot of Muslims, groups like ISIS are abhorrent. I also don't doubt that a majority of Muslims really feel that people like me should become Muslims too. That scares me far more than the threat of groups like ISIS.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
They sure are. That goes without saying.

That does not seem to me like a reason to avoid discussion of the issues, nor to feel reassured when one considers that actual situation and trends.

Indeed, Christianity is plagued with similar issues to some degree.

I have no doubt - in fact, I iknow for a fact- that Islamic beliefs are far less of an issue here in Brazil and in many other places than they are in the Middle East or Israel.

That does strike me as besides the point, though.
No, my comments are not beside the point you're trying to make. However, this Islam boogeyman that I'm hearing about constantly doesn't worry me nearly as much as it does others. As an American, I'm more concerned about the stranglehold the NRA has on our political system than about Muslims harming us. We have FAR more Americans killing Americans than we have Muslims killing Americans. The Right would rather lather up everyone into war mode instead of addressing homeland concerns regarding violence.

The Emperor of Mankind

Peace be on you.

This post, like Erebus says, is what makes people wary of Islam and/or Muslims. It shows us that you view us as little more than conversion attempts.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
This post, like Erebus says, is what makes people wary of Islam and/or Muslims. It shows us that you view us as little more than conversion attempts.
Peace be on you.
I am not sure about meaning of this sentence? Can you reword plz?
"It shows us that you view us as little more than conversion attempts."

In any case, Ahmadiyya Muslims see you as human being to whom message of real Islam should reach with peace and love....According to Ahmadiyya Muslims, this era is struggle / jihad of reforms in morals and spirituality, no weapons.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I realise that your intentions with this post were good. However, it also demonstrates what a lot of people worry about with Islam.

I don't doubt that for a lot of Muslims, groups like ISIS are abhorrent. I also don't doubt that a majority of Muslims really feel that people like me should become Muslims too. That scares me far more than the threat of groups like ISIS.
The quoted portion you highlighted from David: "only then it can be proved to their hearts and mind that Lord of Islam is of All, and Holy Prophet (pbuh) is for All." that seems to worry you so much? That's EXACTLY the same motive a Christian has. I should know, I was a devout Christian for most of my life.

Erebus

The quoted portion you highlighted from David: "only then it can be proved to their hearts and mind that Lord of Islam is of All, and Holy Prophet (pbuh) is for All." that seems to worry you so much? That's EXACTLY the same motive a Christian has. I should know, I was a devout Christian for most of my life.

I know. I'm not the biggest fan of Christianity either for much the same reasons.

Anybody who sincerely believes that nonbelievers really ought to join their religion arouses my suspicion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holed up in a bunker waiting to be invaded, but nor do I think my concerns are unreasonable. A large enough group of well-meaning people can cause some serious damage if left unchecked and unchallenged.

The Emperor of Mankind

I know. I'm not the biggest fan of Christianity either for much the same reasons.

Anybody who sincerely believes that nonbelievers really ought to join their religion arouses my suspicion. Don't get me wrong, I'm not holed up in a bunker waiting to be invaded, but nor do I think my concerns are unreasonable. A large enough group of well-meaning people can cause some serious damage if left unchecked and unchallenged.

Especially if they start kidding themselves that what they do, they do for the ultimate benefit of your soul.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

To take the Scotsman's idea further:

Back to the UNDHR again. People ought to be free to choose their religion or choose no religion. Islam seems to be the worst in this regard, what with "death to apostates" and all. But any religion that indoctrinates children is worthy of contempt IMO.