• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why some people believe god doesn't exist?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Throwing god into the equation means something(universe) coming from something eternal (god).

God's a leap in the equation. Maybe matter has always existed. If something cannot come from nothing then this can only be rectified by something eternally existing. Something, not specifically god.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Why can't the universe itself be eternal?
That is certainly a possibility. :yes:
God's a leap in the equation. Maybe matter has always existed. If something cannot come from nothing then this can only be rectified by something eternally existing. Something, not specifically god.
That makes sense. So what's to stop anyone from calling something 'eternal', God? Eternal seems like a decent attribute for such a label.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is certainly a possibility. :yes:

That makes sense. So what's to stop anyone from calling something 'eternal', God? Eternal seems like a decent attribute for such a label.

Maybe it is just me, but I usually understand that "God" must by definition have a Will of some kind.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Maybe it is just me, but I usually understand that "God" must by definition have a Will of some kind.
It doesn't have to be a conscious will.
Because the universe already has a name, and I like that name...
A fine name it is but perhaps the universe has more attributes than we realize. A universe that is the source of everything gives the universe godly attributes. Just like humans might be considered godlike if humans were immortal.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It doesn't have to be a conscious will.

I suppose not. I just don't see a reason to call such a being "god", because for me that word does imply a conscious will.

A matter of taste.

A fine name it is but perhaps the universe has more attributes than we realize. A universe that is the source of everything gives the universe godly attributes.

Even a staunch atheist such as me must admit that the universe is indeed the source of everything. Maybe you mean it in some other sense beyond the ones that I acknowledge?

Just like humans might be considered godlike if humans were immortal.

We would? Immortality isn't even desirable IMO. Even if we had them, it would not particularly motivate me towards seeing humanity as godlike.

It seems that I am missing something here.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Hello everyone.

Why some people believe god doesn't exist?
-----------

I mean of course we can't see something like god, but I don't get how this make people believe god can't exist.

I mean how logical it is to have such a belief system.

It's like this:

Hey!! I don't see any space creatures!! So I believe that we are the only existing creatures.

So even if we agree that We haven't find any way to totally prove god existence, does it make God "impossible to exist"?

So here we are.

We see a world.

How could we logically believe that it came out of nowhere, It wasn't created by no one and the world was like: TADAAAA!!! HERE I COME AND I'VE COME FROM NOWHERE. SUDDENLY I JUST POPPED OUT BOYS!!!

Which belief is more logical?

to believe that some god created this world or to believe that this world has just popped out, out of nowhere?

Tell me guys, how you hold such a funny belief?

What do you think about science then?

You think science is dull?

Cause if the world can come out of nothing, So what's the point of scientific knowledge?

Cause you see, in our world things can come out of nothing.

So any imaginable science would be based on nothing then.

They are not afraid of saying "I dont know" so they dont feel a need to fill the blank spaces with "god did it"

AS a theist, I dont need god conceptually for explanations. I just believe in him. Realitywise though, there is no evidence f God and those who dont believe in God dont necessarily lose anything.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member

To someone maybe. I'd need a little more than simply existing from a deity though.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Isn't consciousness a prerequisite of will?
The universe does things without knowing it. This is what I would consider will without consciousness. I'm partial to the term wu wei which means non-action or non-doing.

I suppose not. I just don't see a reason to call such a being "god", because for me that word does imply a conscious will.

A matter of taste.

Even a staunch atheist such as me must admit that the universe is indeed the source of everything. Maybe you mean it in some other sense beyond the ones that I acknowledge?

We would? Immortality isn't even desirable IMO. Even if we had them, it would not particularly motivate me towards seeing humanity as godlike.

It seems that I am missing something here.
Consciousness is a human concept and saying God has consciousness is like saying God should have human feelings like love and hate.

Being the source is enough of what I'm looking for as well as it being the source of itself which leads to a sort of creation even though I'm not too big on using the word creator.

I got that immortality thing from the Genesis. In the garden we were immortal but we lacked knowledge, Genesis stated that we became godlike when we gained knowledge so God took away our immortality or we'd be "like gods". Godlike could be any number of attributes that allow us to rise above the limitations that are typically imposed on us by nature.

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
Whether a god exists or not, I can't find it in me to believe that something capable of creating the almost infinite reaches of space, billions upon billions of stars, planets and whatever may exist on the innumerable ones we cannot even discern - a being that created all this: how could such a thing of infinite power and ability have any interest in such petty things as human morality (let alone human sexuality)?

Pretty much every god ever described by any religion has human interests, human desires and human pettiness, magnified to deific proportions by humankind - these deities have always appeared to me to be self-evidently invented by a human brain, and it's beyond me how anyone can ever think they're not.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
The universe does things without knowing it. This is what I would consider will without consciousness. I'm partial to the term wu wei which means non-action or non-doing.

The universe is just the space taken up by matter. The universe itself does nothing; the matter inside it does.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
these deities have always appeared to me to be self-evidently invented by a human brain, and it's beyond me how anyone can ever think they're not.

Throw in a book that says so, and the ridiculousness of the statement is a complete non-issue.

idav

Being
Premium Member
It is more than space with matter in it. Space/tim e is a real thing that is stretching as the universe and expands.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Consciousness is a human concept and saying God has consciousness is like saying God should have human feelings like love and hate.

I suppose it is.

At a certain point the concept becomes just too difficult to grasp or to use, though. I realize that not all faiths will share the expectation of a humanlike God, but once enough doubt and mystery are given to the concept it becomes unclear if it should be used at all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Whether a god exists or not, I can't find it in me to believe that something capable of creating the almost infinite reaches of space, billions upon billions of stars, planets and whatever may exist on the innumerable ones we cannot even discern - a being that created all this: how could such a thing of infinite power and ability have any interest in such petty things as human morality (let alone human sexuality)?

Pretty much every god ever described by any religion has human interests, human desires and human pettiness, magnified to deific proportions by humankind - these deities have always appeared to me to be self-evidently invented by a human brain, and it's beyond me how anyone can ever think they're not.

Well said.

chinu

chinu
Some people get confused with the idea of the existence of God because no one can search God, one can only become God. actually becoming God is equal to finding God, indeed :)