• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why take religion so seriously?

lunakilo

I am fascinated by religion (one of the main reasons for hanging around here) but I don't understand why some people take religion so seriously.
Can someone explain to me why some people take religion so seriously?

I mean, I don't see that it matters if God/gods exists or not.
I am quite happy not knowing.
When I hear my children laughing, I feel I know all I need to know about life, the universe and everything.

If God exists he doesn't seem to be very concerned about communicating any particular message to the human race. Many people seem to think they have figured out what God it trying to say. But many of these people seem to disagree with each other on what that message is, and some disagrre so much that they hit each other over the head with nasty things that hurt.

What is the big deal?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
It's a big deal for a variety of reasons, but funnily enough I'd say it's a big deal because, well, people think it's a big deal.

To put it simply, beliefs inform our actions, and people time and time again have demonstrated that religious beliefs that are sincerely held can affect every aspect of their lives - from how they dress, to how they eat, to their very moral code. When people start basing their entire lives and morality on something, it's extremely important, and so questioning those beliefs to make sure they fit reality is also extremely important. Until recently, the Catholic church had been spreading the word of their supposed God through AIDS infested countries and telling people not to use condoms. Muslim extremists are spreading hate speech among like-minded Muslims based purely on the opinions they feel their supposed God has about western society. The Westboro Baptist Church picket funerals because they feel that their God tells them that any such action is not only just but required for them to escape from eternal suffering.

These are, of course, extreme examples, but clear demonstrations of the kinds of actions and notions that can develop based on the assumption that a God exists and the further assumption that people know what said God thinks and wants. While God may not be important to you, the idea of God certainly is extremely important to lots of other people, who are willing to do almost anything for that belief. If people didn't attach such notions to the existence of God then there wouldn't be an issue, but from where I'm standing such beliefs have caused a great deal more harm than good, and thus we can no longer simply disregard their truth value.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
If people feel religion is a big deal to let, then let it be. It's a personal thing, and should not be dictated by others.

I also believe that God has communicated a pretty big message to the human race!

chinu

chinu
I am fascinated by religion (one of the main reasons for hanging around here) but I don't understand why some people take religion so seriously.

When I hear my children laughing, I feel I know all I need to know about life, the universe and everything.

If God exists he doesn't seem to be very concerned about communicating any particular message to the human race. Many people seem to think they have figured out what God it trying to say. But many of these people seem to disagree with each other on what that message is, and some disagrre so much that they hit each other over the head with nasty things that hurt.

What is the big deal?

Because people always try to find the religion in outside world, but the true religion is within themselves.

If everybody would start doing efforts in finding the religion within themselves, than i think there would no fights, no argues.

For example: If we find colour of blood within us we all will find the same colour: Red, nither any green or yellow or blue.

But the reason is nobody is ready to cut their own body to see the colour of blood (Means the god which is same inside us), but they are cutting each other :)

One of the famous sufi saints "Bulle Shah" has written in one of his "quotes"

"Jin paya beath qualander daa, rahh khojia apne ander da"
English: "The one who searched within themselfs have searched god"

_/\_
Chinu

lunakilo said:
Possibly because some people believe that doing so results in consequences that are applicable both now and forever.

lunakilo said:
I mean, I don't see that it matters if God/gods exists or not. I am quite happy not knowing.
Personally I see the existence of God as fairly important, as my beliefs and by extension, actions are based on His existence. That said, my acceptance of God's existence is not the end of the matter for me; my "religion" has more to it than simply answering the question of whether God exists or not.

lunakilo said:
If God exists he doesn't seem to be very concerned about communicating any particular message to the human race.
Speaking from a Christian perspective, I'd argue that God sending His son to die on a cross was a fairly strong message.

lunakilo said:
Many people seem to think they have figured out what God it trying to say. But many of these people seem to disagree with each other on what that message is, and some disagrre so much that they hit each other over the head with nasty things that hurt.
Bad interpretation leads to bad application. Nobody's perfect. I'm not suggesting that bad interpretation justifies people hitting each other over the head with nasty things that hurt, I just think that this is one of the reasons it can happen.

lunakilo said:
What is the big deal?
For me it comes down to my belief that what I believe and how I live my life here on earth will have a profound effect on where and how I spend eternity. I value my eternal life, so I value my current life, and the beliefs and values upon which it is based.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's just in the nature of some people to take things seriously to the point of being prickly.
We see it with not just religion, but also party politics, economics, science, etc.
As seen here, some of the nastiest "fundies" aren't even religious.
One of the signs....avatars displaying a threatening posture & brandishing fell implements.

Wombat

Funny........I was just having this/same conversation with my daughter- how come there is nothing (deliberately) funny in the Holy Books?

So we spent the next half hour selecting scripture that God was 'just joking' about.;)

:yes: With you on that at every point.
Likewise "all I need to know about life" when bushwalking, in the garden, with good friends/family-food and a bottle, in or near the ocean, at the end of a long hard day in a hot bath, listening to music.......oh hell...much of my life is spent knowing "all I need to know about life, the universe and everything" and the rest of it is stupid bits when I forget to remember!:eek:

If God exists he doesn't seem to be very concerned about communicating any particular message to the human race..

Have to disagree on this one...Google 'The Golden Rule'...Seems to me that if God is "communicating a particular message to the human race" it's the same "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" message repeated over and over in different ways in every age..........And we still seem to think the message is- "Do unto others >before< they get a chance to do unto you":shrug:

Many people seem to think they have figured out what God it trying to say. But many of these people seem to disagree with each other on what that message is, and some disagrre so much that they hit each other over the head with nasty things that hurt.

Yea....lotsa folk got 'God in a box' and all worked out.
A friend of mine once came home furious from an Ecumenical meeting with a bunch of folk who had 'God in a box'....He marched through the door and demanded of his teenage son- ">WHO< and >WHAT< is God"!?......perplexed the boy responded- "Gee Dad.....I don't know"....To this the father declared in the most serious tone accompanied by the most delighted expression- "That's exactly right son!.....And don't you ever forget it"!

What is the big deal?

Well....as I understand it....there is quite a bit of money to be made from the "nasty things" in "hit each other over the head with nasty things that hurt" and almost as much in finding/generating excuses to use them...it's a serious buisness and a big deal.....religion is part of it:eek:

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Lol, I went to Comic-Con with some friends and one of them totally mispronounced a name of a character in Star Wars..........the guys at the table and people around just stared and looked at her like she was crazy. When her boyfriend corrected her, one of the guys at the table said "Thank you very much for correcting her!" I laughed because I knew that these nerds were totally serious about the sanctity of the Star Wars saga. I guess everyone has seriousness in something that others may think isn't that important.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lol, I went to Comic-Con with some friends and one of them totally mispronounced a name of a character in Star Wars..........the guys at the table and people around just stared and looked at her like she was crazy. When her boyfriend corrected her, one of the guys at the table said "Thank you very much for correcting her!" I laughed because I knew that these nerds were totally serious about the sanctity of the Star Wars saga. I guess everyone has seriousness in something that others may think isn't that important.
Boba Fett?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What is the big deal?
Well, I take religion fairly seriously due to the prevalence it has in culture and politics. It's also useful to find out a lot about people, and it has ties to philosophy.

But I agree; the existence of gods wouldn't really affect my life or my philosophy.

A lot of people probably take it really seriously for reasons of biology, sociology, psychology, etc.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006

What is the big deal?
Because some people find deeper meaning in religion that speaks to them and informs their life.

God doesn't "need to exist." God doesn't "exist" in most religions.

Why should God necessarily have "a message" for us?

Religion is a serious matter for me. But I'm not looking for any certain message from God...

@ lunakilo:
I feel people should just live life lightly and as stress free as possible. Religions mostly give us a moral guide to follow, and one which should be given some degree of value and seriousness.
Unfortunately, most people take or value religions as a way out of their problems because they called upon their deity/god and their wishes come true in time (they think from the power of this deity/god). Because of this, they become overly protective and serious when others disagree or go against their paths.
We can only accept this situation and live our lives the way we wish.

:beach:

Luminous

non-existential luminary
religion is a powerful tool.
I took religion very seriously because I wanted to fix the world. However, I found that unfounded believes and mindless rituals weren't going to solve any problems any time soon.

waitasec

Veteran Member

What is the big deal?

you are so right!!!!
frubals...

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Some of us find our spiritual lives very important. But my faith is much more important to me than the "rules and regulations" of religion.

lunakilo

Yea....lotsa folk got 'God in a box' and all worked out.
A friend of mine once came home furious from an Ecumenical meeting with a bunch of folk who had 'God in a box'....He marched through the door and demanded of his teenage son- ">WHO< and >WHAT< is God"!?......perplexed the boy responded- "Gee Dad.....I don't know"....To this the father declared in the most serious tone accompanied by the most delighted expression- "That's exactly right son!.....And don't you ever forget it"!
I like this story very much.

Always listen to children and drunk people, they teld to tell you the truth :)