• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why take religion so seriously?

lunakilo

It's just in the nature of some people to take things seriously to the point of being prickly.
We see it with not just religion, but also party politics, economics, science, etc.
As seen here, some of the nastiest "fundies" aren't even religious.
implements.
So basically what you are saying is that all people 'view the world a certain way'.
Some people base their view on the world on religion, others base it on something else.
Some people feel their view of the world is so importent that they need to hit others over the head with it (or with something naste).

So it is not really religion in it self that people take so seriously, it is their view of the world (which may or may not be based on their religion) which the take seriously?

chinu

chinu
I am fascinated by religion (one of the main reasons for hanging around here) but I don't understand why some people take religion so seriously.
Can someone explain to me why some people take religion so seriously?

I mean, I don't see that it matters if God/gods exists or not.
I am quite happy not knowing.
When I hear my children laughing, I feel I know all I need to know about life, the universe and everything.

If God exists he doesn't seem to be very concerned about communicating any particular message to the human race. Many people seem to think they have figured out what God it trying to say. But many of these people seem to disagree with each other on what that message is, and some disagrre so much that they hit each other over the head with nasty things that hurt.

What is the big deal?
Firstly, why are you making this thread so seriously ???

_/\_
Chinu

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
God has no sense of humor. None. That's a very good reason to take religion seriously. I myself always do because I firmly believe god has no sense of humor.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So basically what you are saying is that all people 'view the world a certain way'.
Some people base their view on the world on religion, others base it on something else.
Some people feel their view of the world is so importent that they need to hit others over the head with it (or with something naste).

So it is not really religion in it self that people take so seriously, it is their view of the world (which may or may not be based on their religion) which the take seriously?
Yeah...what she said.

Wombat

God has no sense of humor. None.

I beg to differ-

platypus.jpg

:p

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I am fascinated by religion (one of the main reasons for hanging around here) but I don't understand why some people take religion so seriously.
Can someone explain to me why some people take religion so seriously?

most people believe that there must be some purpose to life. They see the world and wonder why it was created and who is stocking it with all the good things that we benefit from. Religion provides the explanation for that purpose. It provides the reason for the badness and it also provides the answer to lifes problems.

I mean, I don't see that it matters if God/gods exists or not.
I am quite happy not knowing.
When I hear my children laughing, I feel I know all I need to know about life, the universe and everything.

it was because of death and suffering that I wanted to find God, or at least if he existed. Something makes me believe that death is not part of the plan and it was only the bible that gave me a satisfying answer as to why death exists and how it will be abolished.

without religion I would not have the peace of mind that i now have.

Power_Ranger

People take religion seriously because:

1) Profound personal religious experience
A man is born and is going to through life. Suddenly, he gets into emotional problems (e.g.: divorce, death, etc). He seeks god and his emotional problems go away. This is a profound personal experience and he takes it as evidence of existence of god. Now, he’s willing to fight and die for the religion.

2) Power and Business
If people lose religion, they’ll lose their business and power as well. Their business/power is based on religion.

It is NOT necessary to take religion seriously!!!!

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
People take religion seriously because:

1) Profound personal religious experience
A man is born and is going to through life. Suddenly, he gets into emotional problems (e.g.: divorce, death, etc). He seeks god and his emotional problems go away. This is a profound personal experience and he takes it as evidence of existence of god. Now, he’s willing to fight and die for the religion.

2) Power and Business
If people lose religion, they’ll lose their business and power as well. Their business/power is based on religion.

It is NOT necessary to take religion seriously!!!!
This is what the experts call "magical thinking." It is a recognized form of dysfunctional thinking, and has no place in religion. People take religion seriously because they take their spiritual dimension and interior life seriously.

Man of Faith

God is a person to be taken seriously. If you know God personally like I do, you would take your faith very very seriously.

lunakilo

:)

But when you say this word "MY-RELIGION"... :) its hurt's.... the head of my heart. :)

_/\_
Chinu
So I have an insisible weapon to hit you over the head with and stab you in the heart?
Cool :cool:

In case I don't want to hit you with it, what should I say in stead of "ny religion"?