• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why take religion so seriously?

Bismillah

Submit
Religion is a way of life and a sense of purpose and I find that the deeper I explore religion the more meaningful my life becomes.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Religion is a way of life and a sense of purpose and I find that the deeper I explore religion the more meaningful my life becomes.

I actually find the same thing to some extent, but without adopting any particular religion. Yet, religions have a lot of insights that are helpful in enriching life.

Bismillah

Submit
I actually find the same thing to some extent, but without adopting any particular religion. Yet, religions have a lot of insights that are helpful in enriching life.
True, but unless I agree with the essential doctrine and practice of a religion it's essential creed the point becomes meaningless. This makes no sense unless you look at it from the perspective that one religion represents truth incarnate and every act you do to enhance one's knowledge in that religion resonates within one's own core and represents an ideal by which to reform oneself.

Man of Faith

Why?
The way you say that it sounds kind of scary.

The God that I know personally and interact with is serious and scary. He is a wrathful God and will send people to hell to burn forever. He killed every living thing on earth at one time, except for one family. He will not be mocked, whatever we do we reap. One man sinned one time and he caused the earth to open up and swallow his whole family.

He has slaughtered thousands and millions and there is no getting away from him. I'm so glad I was frightened of him at an early age and was told how to avoid his wrath.

Man of Faith

Do you think there is any significant difference between taking god seriously and taking god grimly?

I don't dwell on the difference. I know how to please a wrathful God and to avoid his punishment. Man can kill my body but God can kill my soul and send me to hell forever.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I don't dwell on the difference. I know how to please a wrathful God and to avoid his punishment. Man can kill my body but God can kill my soul and send me to hell forever.

There are many good therapists out there that can help people who have issues like yours.

lunakilo

The God that I know personally and interact with is serious and scary. He is a wrathful God and will send people to hell to burn forever. He killed every living thing on earth at one time, except for one family. He will not be mocked, whatever we do we reap. One man sinned one time and he caused the earth to open up and swallow his whole family.

He has slaughtered thousands and millions and there is no getting away from him. I'm so glad I was frightened of him at an early age and was told how to avoid his wrath.
:eek:
I can only say that I am glad I don't know that guy.

waitasec

Veteran Member

you should move to north korea... and consider it as boot camp for your eternal afterlife... :facepalm:

samar hussain

I am fascinated by religion (one of the main reasons for hanging around here) but I don't understand why some people take religion so seriously.
Can someone explain to me why some people take religion so seriously?

I mean, I don't see that it matters if God/gods exists or not.
I am quite happy not knowing.
When I hear my children laughing, I feel I know all I need to know about life, the universe and everything.

If God exists he doesn't seem to be very concerned about communicating any particular message to the human race. Many people seem to think they have figured out what God it trying to say. But many of these people seem to disagree with each other on what that message is, and some disagrre so much that they hit each other over the head with nasty things that hurt.

What is the big deal?[/quote:first of all we should know that why this earth has been created if there was no perpose then why every thing of this earth is serving us why we r not made for the animals and animals r for us the same we r made for the special purpose that is to serve our creator that is wat i belive

samar hussain

first of all we should know that why this earth has been created if there was no purpose then why every thing of this earth serve us ?why animals are made for us and we r not made for them the same we r also made for some special reason and that is to serve our creator we hav to find the words of our creator so in that way we will be pleasing him

Man of Faith

you should move to north korea... and consider it as boot camp for your eternal afterlife... :facepalm:

Actually N Korea was built on the lack of believe in my God and we see where that goes? The USA is more of an indicator of what waits me in heaven, peaceable living, (for now).

waitasec

Veteran Member
Actually N Korea was built on the lack of believe in my God and we see where that goes? The USA is more of an indicator of what waits me in heaven, peaceable living, (for now).

but surely you understand that n korea's tyrannical dictatorship has been influenced by theocratic ideology...
i'm not talking about their beliefs, i'm talking about the principles you seem to adhere to...

Man of Faith

but surely you understand that n korea's tyrannical dictatorship has been influenced by theocratic ideology...
i'm not talking about their beliefs, i'm talking about the principles you seem to adhere to...

My beliefs and principles are inseperable. My principles of freedom of religion and individual liberty given by a creator, come from my beliefs in my God and who he is and what he tells me through the good book. N. Korea's tyrannical dictatorship is influenced by a lack of belief in my God. It comes from a belief that man is the ultimate authority and determiner of morality, which is what brings tyranny and violence.