• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Burden of Proof is a Bad Argument

How did you come to the conclusion that there was a complete lack of hard evidence?

Was it because the banana told you?

Or was it through considered exploration of various theistic arguments?

If it was any other topic other than God, you would have posted some references towards hard evidence. But you rather argue about who I am.

The reason the burden of proof lies on the shoulders of the theist is because they are the ones that put God(s) up on that pedestal. I do not approach the idea of gods differently than any other claim that I have encountered in my life.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If it was any other topic other than God, you would have posted some references towards hard evidence. But you rather argue about who I am.

The reason the burden of proof lies on the shoulders of the theist is because they are the ones that put God(s) up on that pedestal. I do not approach the idea of gods differently than any other claim that I have encountered in my life.

Many Christians feel that have provided hard evidence and solid reasoning and wait for you to prove they have not.

Not everyone has the same criteria for what is accepted as hard evidence and solid reasoning. So now you have to prove the evidence is not sufficient and the reasoning is faulty.

steeltoes

Many Christians feel that have provided hard evidence and solid reasoning and wait for you to prove they have not.

Not everyone has the same criteria for what is accepted as hard evidence and solid reasoning. So now you have to prove the evidence is not sufficient and the reasoning is faulty.
Atheists have nothing to prove, that's why they call us atheists.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So... what?

How does that have any bearing on whether people need a reason to reject arguments made in favor of a particular claim?

It means that those who claim the existence of God need to give everyone else a reason to bother with the notion.

It creates the burden of proof and it creates it on the lap of the claimants, aka Theists.

If you are going to come to me and say there is evidence and reasoning than it is by my criteria that I must accept it. I follow the scientific method. So give me this evidence, I keep hearing about, that factually proves god. Don't just talk about this evidence, pull it out. I want to hear your evidence.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No need to apologize. Are you a believer in Spinoza's God, in that God is nature?

Something like that. I'm a polytheist/pantheist/animist, and a major part of my practice is paying respect to or celebrating various aspects of reality, whether they have tangible form (i.e., worship of sun or storms) or are more abstract/ideological (i.e., worship of learning or creativity).

But that aside, I still don't know of any theisms that are not supported in some fashion. People do not accept things without cause. There are reams of theological and philosophical arguments for classical monotheism, oodles of people who can testify to their personal experiences with various gods, strong familial and community bonds that underpin traditions, and so forth. I'm not limiting the notion of support and proofs to the narrow empirical or scientific sense, largely because I don't feel it makes any sense to do so in the context of areas like philosophy or religion. They're not science, and it makes about as much sense to me that philosophy and religion conform to scientific standards as it does to demand that creative writing and the fine arts conform to such standards. That's my general angle, anyway. :D

So circling this back around to burden of proof, maybe another reason it strikes me as silly is because I tend to view religion and philosophy as more like an art. If you walk into an art gallery, and someone says they think an abstract painting represents some particular thing, it should be good enough for them to explain why it resonated with them in that way. There is no authoritatively proving that the painting means X, Y, or Z. It's interpretation. And folks can have many different interpretations, discuss their reasons, and still disagree with each other. Sometimes I would like it if atheists defined themselves less in opposition to someone's interpretation of the painting and told us more about how they see the painting. Perhaps from that angle, there is some truth in saying it is unfair to place any burden on them. But why place burdens on anyone? Not all theists are making authoritative truth claims when they speak of their gods - they're like the person in the art gallery saying "this is how I interpret this painting."

And now I'm probably rambling incoherently...

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
:confused: I wasn't talking about "who you are" at all. I am asking you to provide reasons you reject the arguments put forward by theists.

If, as many are arguing, that you don't need a reason to reject the arguments, then that means you can reject the arguments "Just because you feel like it", or "because you've already made up your mind", or "because that banana told me to".

It doesn't seem like a particularly rational way to go about things. Nor does it seem fair to the theists.

I'm not saying that theists don't have a burden of proof. Or rather, theists must support their claim that gods exist, just as atheists should support their claims that the theists haven't provided sufficient evidence that god exists.

:confused: I wasn't talking about "who you are" at all. I am asking you to provide reasons you reject the arguments put forward by theists.

If, as many are arguing, that you don't need a reason to reject the arguments, then that means you can reject the arguments "Just because you feel like it", or "because you've already made up your mind", or "because that banana told me to".

It doesn't seem like a particularly rational way to go about things. Nor does it seem fair to the theists.

I'm not saying that theists don't have a burden of proof. Or rather, theists must support their claim that gods exist, just as atheists should support their claims that the theists haven't provided sufficient evidence that god exists.

"that the theists haven't provided sufficient evidence that god exists."

I would be happy to dispute the evidence if they would get some.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"Burden of proof" does not mean you have to prove something to others, nor does it kick in when you're wanting to convince someone else of something that you believe. Rather, it is present whenever a posit (a belief) is made about the world.

The (classical) theist posits god and bears that burden. The atheist posits disbelief, unconvincing evidence, unconvincing arguments, etc. and bears that burden. This thread was made in protest of those atheists who say they have no burden.

steeltoes

Something like that. I'm a polytheist/pantheist/animist, and a major part of my practice is paying respect to or celebrating various aspects of reality, whether they have tangible form (i.e., worship of sun or storms) or are more abstract/ideological (i.e., worship of learning or creativity).

But that aside, I still don't know of any theisms that are not supported in some fashion. People do not accept things without cause. There are reams of theological and philosophical arguments for classical monotheism, oodles of people who can testify to their personal experiences with various gods, strong familial and community bonds that underpin traditions, and so forth. I'm not limiting the notion of support and proofs to the narrow empirical or scientific sense, largely because I don't feel it makes any sense to do so in the context of areas like philosophy or religion. They're not science, and it makes about as much sense to me that philosophy and religion conform to scientific standards as it does to demand that creative writing and the fine arts conform to such standards. That's my general angle, anyway. :D

So circling this back around to burden of proof, maybe another reason it strikes me as silly is because I tend to view religion and philosophy as more like an art. If you walk into an art gallery, and someone says they think an abstract painting represents some particular thing, it should be good enough for them to explain why it resonated with them in that way. There is no authoritatively proving that the painting means X, Y, or Z. It's interpretation. And folks can have many different interpretations, discuss their reasons, and still disagree with each other. Sometimes I would like it if atheists defined themselves less in opposition to someone's interpretation of the painting and told us more about how they see the painting. Perhaps from that angle, there is some truth in saying it is unfair to place any burden on them. But why place burdens on anyone? Not all theists are making authoritative truth claims when they speak of their gods - they're like the person in the art gallery saying "this is how I interpret this painting."

And now I'm probably rambling incoherently...

Participation is not mandatory. No one should have to explain why they do not play golf or why they do not participate in religious beliefs. The OP suggests that we are obligated with a burden of proof to explain why we do not participate in a commonly shared belief in God. Well, I don't think the theist ought to concern him/herself with the nonthieist.

outhouse

Atheistically
"Burden of proof" does not mean you have to prove something to others, nor does it kick in when you're wanting to convince someone else of something that you believe. Rather, it is present whenever a posit (a belief) is made about the world.

The (classical) theist posits god and bears that burden. The atheist posits disbelief, unconvincing evidence, unconvincing arguments, etc. and bears that burden. This thread was made in protest of those atheists who say they have no burden.

I rarely see any atheist making the statement

"Your god does not exist scientifically"

Without an explaination.

steeltoes

We've been through this before, it's a freedom for atheists, not a burden.