• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Burden of Proof is a Bad Argument

steeltoes

It is not accurate to claim so matter-of-factly that various theisms are "unsupported" any more than it would be to claim that various atheisms are.
Actually it is accurate unless you are in the business of bending spoons to support theism. God claims are unsupported faith beliefs, that is why God is a faith belief in the first place.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually it is accurate unless you are in the business of bending spoons to support theism. God claims are unsupported faith beliefs, that is why God is a faith belief in the first place.

You must have a very limited outlook on theism in order to believe this. Although I'd encourage you to widen your understanding of theism, each to their own, I suppose. Or are you intending to limit this discussion to classical monotheism, or supernaturalistic, transcendent, omnimax god-concepts? I find that pretty boring, personally. Theisms outside of that don't really fall within your assumptions.

steeltoes

You must have a very limited outlook on theism in order to believe this. Although I'd encourage you to widen your understanding of theism, each to their own, I suppose. Or are you intending to limit this discussion to classical monotheism, or supernaturalistic, transcendent, omnimax god-concepts? I find that pretty boring, personally. Theisms outside of that don't really fall within your assumptions.
That's probably why I find it hard to call myself an atheist, half the time I don't even know what God concept it is that I am supposedly denying.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Sure, but you can justify atheism simply by recognising that the burden of proof for the existence of god is as yet unmet.

You do not need to disprove the unproven.

The burden of the atheist is not the burden of the theist, though. The atheist's burden does not lie in the object of the theist's belief.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That's probably why I find it hard to call myself an atheist, half the time I don't even know what God concept it is that I am supposedly denying.

I apologize; it's not my nature to approach topics like this from a classical monotheist mindset because I'm not one myself. I think in western cultures, you'd be in a good position to call yourself an atheist if you reject the culture's dominant god-concept (which is classical monotheism, sometimes slightly modified though). I usually assume that of people who self-identify as atheists. Honestly, I've never been a fan of the terms "theist" and "atheist" to begin with, because their meaning hinges on what the god-concept of discussion is.

atanu

Premium Member
The following is true:
"I am an atheist because my neighbour theist has failed to give adequate proof for him being a theist".

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Correct. You have helped me. Thanks.

Last edited:

steeltoes

I apologize; it's not my nature to approach topics like this from a classical monotheist mindset because I'm not one myself. I think in western cultures, you'd be in a good position to call yourself an atheist if you reject the culture's dominant god-concept (which is classical monotheism, sometimes slightly modified though). I usually assume that of people who self-identify as atheists. Honestly, I've never been a fan of the terms "theist" and "atheist" to begin with, because their meaning hinges on what the god-concept of discussion is.
No need to apologize. Are you a believer in Spinoza's God, in that God is nature?

I agree that claims (not just positive claims) have the greater burden of proof, but I have trouble wrapping my mind around the concept that a rejection of a claim has no burden whatsoever.

I agree that if someone came up to you and said "Nargles exist!", this person would have the burden of proof, and you would have no grounds to assess the claim.

But that's not really the situation we are in here. Instead, it's more like someone has come up to you and said "Nargles exist, and this is why I think so" (oh, and not to mention, most of the world also believes that nargles exist), and you have decided that their reasons are not good enough. You have weighed the evidence and have rejected it as being insufficient.

"I have trouble wrapping my mind around the concept that a rejection of a claim has no burden whatsoever."

A complete lack of hard evidence is a good reason to reject a claim as real.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
"I have trouble wrapping my mind around the concept that a rejection of a claim has no burden whatsoever."

A complete lack of hard evidence is a good reason to reject a claim as real.

How did you come to the conclusion that there was a complete lack of hard evidence?

Was it because the banana told you?

Or was it through considered exploration of various theistic arguments?

That is why I place the burned of proof on the theist. Because they can't even figure out what it is they are proving.

Last edited: