• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Burden of Proof is a Bad Argument

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I have no argument at all with those that say they believe in God. My dispute is with those that claim it as a truth or state that it is more reasonable to believe in God than not and in which case I ask for evidential proof that isn’t just belief in the belief, personal experience or anecdotal or vicarious argumentation.

I don't think your position is unreasonable. However I think using the burden of proof is too passive a position which can be easily dismissed. "That" makes it a bad argument.

cottage

Which I've asked you to explain, in vain. I give up.

I’ve repeated it time after time. Of course people know why they disbelieve in gods, for the reasons I’ve already given, and I can’t imagine where the absurd notion came from that they may not. But sceptics don’t have to explain themselves in response to a question-begging ‘Why don’t you believe in God’, but only in reply to arguments asserting to God’s existence made by the theist. Is that clear now?

cottage

I don't think your position is unreasonable. However I think using the burden of proof is too passive a position which can be easily dismissed. "That" makes it a bad argument.

The burden of proof isn’t really an argument at all, but it is an important principle without which anyone might claim anything without challenge. And the principle is especially important in the case of someone asserting an existential proposition where the burden of proof is always with the person making the assertion because the doubter cannot prove the non-existence of the supposed entity.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The burden of proof isn’t really an argument at all, but it is an important principle without which anyone might claim anything without challenge. And the principle is especially important in the case of someone asserting an existential proposition where the burden of proof is always with the person making the assertion because the doubter cannot prove the non-existence of the supposed entity.

So....faith needs no proving....right?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
In face of total silence. There is no real validation for thiests to go by, nor is there any real platform that would warrant the claims made by thiests. Athiests just reflect the reality of the matter as it stands directly. I think in that light no real need exists to pursue the matter of disapproving thiestic claims which in such a case, the burden of proof is in fact pointless as there is nothing there that can be proven.

I don't understand how ethics apply unless there is something derogatory by how thiests are treated in relating their position.

I don't think atheists reflect the reality of the matter as it stands, I just think they're out of the conversation.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The dictionary definition of "faith" says nothing about whether a particular person's faith - or faith in general - is justified or reasonable.

So then...all and any who are of faith...cannot be reasoned with.

Gee....I might have said the same of some atheists!

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So then...all and any who are of faith...cannot be reasoned with.

Gee....I might have said the same of some atheists!

Actually, I find that most people of faith I talk to can be reasoned with just fine. I don't think you're representative of religious people in general.

I've also found that most people of faith can give reasons for their beliefs. They may be reasons I disagree with, but they don't try to feed me nonsense like "faith needs no proving".

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Actually, I find that most people of faith I talk to can be reasoned with just fine. I don't think you're representative of religious people in general.

I've also found that most people of faith can give reasons for their beliefs. They may be reasons I disagree with, but they don't try to feed me nonsense like "faith needs no proving".

So you prefer to disregard Webster's.
Is there a reference you DO prefer?