• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Burden of Proof is a Bad Argument

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
I thought it was well-explained by Falvlun in the first 9 pages of this thread. They have a burden to explain why they reject the claims of theists. It's not a burden of "convincing others," but simply a burden for themselves, to have a rational position.

Rejecting an insufficiently evidenced, or unevidenced claim is perfectly rational. The burden of proof remains upon the party making the claim.

steeltoes

I thought it was well-explained by Falvlun in the first 9 pages of this thread. They have a burden to explain why they reject the claims of theists. It's not a burden of "convincing others," but simply a burden for themselves, to have a rational position.
No, not until the claims are presented in falsifiable terms are atheists obligated in any way to explain anything, to themselves or to anyone else.

It is perfectly reasonable to summarily dismiss without evidence claims that are presented without evidence.

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Is it not possible that some Christians believe because they have been convinced by sufficient evidence?

That would invalidate faith, and faith is the foundation of Christianity. So I would think it possible, but unlikely in the extreme.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Rejecting an insufficiently evidenced, or unevidenced claim is perfectly rational. The burden of proof remains upon the party making the claim.

Yes, it is rational, which is the whole point of this thread. Atheists do not lack justification for their position. Their burden is a different burden than the theist's.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Okay, we aren't supposed to believe explanations. Gotcha.

Correct. Theories are accepted or rejected, they are not questions of belief.

For example: I do not 'believe in' the theory of evolution, because it is not an ideology or a belief system - it is a scientific theory. I accept the theory of evolution for what it is - the best possible explanation at this time for how evolution works. It demands no belief.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No, not until the claims are presented in falsifiable terms are atheists obligated in any way to explain anything, to themselves or to anyone else.

It is perfectly reasonable to summarily dismiss without evidence claims that are presented without evidence.

Until claims are presented, there is nothing to explain anyway.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Correct. Theories are accepted or rejected, they are not questions of belief.

For example: I do not 'believe in' the theory of evolution, because it is not an ideology or a belief system - it is a scientific theory. I accept the theory of evolution for what it is - the best possible explanation at this time for how evolution works. It demands no belief.

Can you describe the difference between accepting an explanation and believing an explanation?

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Yes, it is rational, which is the whole point of this thread. Atheists do not lack justification for their position. Their burden is a different burden than the theist's.

I apologise for repeating the question asked by steeltoes, but what claim is it that you imagine atheists bear the burden of proof for?

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
I don't believe in anything, for example when it comes to evolution I try to understand it to the best of my ability, in that way I can gain knowledge as to how the world works.

Can you describe the difference between believing you know how the world works and knowing how the world works?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I apologise for repeating the question asked by steeltoes, but what claim is it that you imagine atheists bear the burden of proof for?

I'll just copy-paste. They have a burden to explain why they reject the claims of theists. It's not a burden of "convincing others," but simply a burden for themselves, to have a rational position.

Or, as Falvlun said:
That's just it: I do think that most atheists can defend their beliefs. Admittedly, it irritates me when, instead of doing so, the claim is made that they have nothing to defend, or have no need to defend anything.

Last edited: