• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why The Hate For Brexit Voters?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This was dubbed the Red Wall. It's predicted to collapse at the coming General Election. (Even gammons have had enough of tory lies).

- Red wall (British politics) - Wikipedia
That was in late 2019, wasn't it? I vividly remember how astonished I was that the British were willing to give so much rope to Boris Johnson despite obvious, ethically challenged maneuvers from him.

It was a year of great disappointment from me towards the British voters. They were being invited to lend prestige to patently dishonest people who never even bothered to try to appear coherent nor principled, and took it all hook, line, and sinker.

To the extent that I can wrap my head around those results even today, I can only conclude that:

1. The British public was quite sick of so much discussion of how to execute Brexit (which is very understandable).

2. Particularly given how embarrassing the push-and-forth between the House of Commons and the European Commission had been through the better part of the year (also very understandable).

3. The matter of the trade border in relation to North Ireland was also no small worry and quite a tiresome, frustrating subject matter.

4. Despite what to me seemed rather obvious cues from the results of Theresa May's efforts, the Conservative Party just would not listen to reason, apparently out of some form of misguided pride.

5. To my considerable if shameful Schadenfreude, plenty of voters decided to buy Boris Johnson's line despite a lot of clear reasons not to.

6. That is probably because the myths that sustain the appeal of Brexit still held a very strong pull for many, regardless of facts. It was nationalism in a very pure form. This is not only not understandable, but really very damning.

7. I will never again presume that the UK are politically any saner than Brazil without checking the facts first. Up until then I did.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why is there a suggestion that anyone who voted for Brexit was misled?

Those who voted for Trump are misled?

As if we had sense we'd vote for the 'right' thing.

As if there's a side that votes dumbly and tends to be rural, conservative and traditional and there's a side that votes sensibly and they are urban, liberal and progressive. It's bull****.

@Augustus
We're supposed to hate & never
forgive anyone politically different.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
This last item is the only true surprise. Do you associate that feeling with any specific time or event?
Not really. It happened after Brexit once a lot of rural voters realised Labour only cared about urban/cosmopolitan interests and had made no effort to appeal to countryside voters and their vastly different local concerns. This had been the case for a while post-Blair.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
We're supposed to hate & never
forgive anyone politically different.

Yahhh... The partisan narrative is a bit wacky to me lately. It's always been out there, but the tribalism we see nowadays has been more outa whack than it's been in a long while. Not sure what the breaking point is going to be. Speaking in terms of the USA, the stark reality of Jan 6th wasn't enough to snap people out of it

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No irony. It is a very direct statement. If the shoe fits, I hope you enjoy it.
I'm barefoot.

I forgive you for supporting a
corrupt hawk who hates Iranians,
& was prepared to exterminate them.
These are merely political differences.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yahhh... The partisan narrative is a bit wacky to me lately. It's always been out there, but the tribalism we see nowadays has been more outa whack than it's been in a long while. Not sure what the breaking point is going to be. Speaking in terms of the USA, the stark reality of Jan 6th wasn't enough to snap people out of it
Jan 6 appeared to enhance
the Maga wagon circling.
This is spiritual war for them.
Let's hope it doesn't become
the violent kind.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Reading issues?
You, bubbale.

Your posts show dysfunctional dealing
with political differences....& blindness
to the sins of those you support.
Wait, you are still under the delusion that you are qualified to judge me?

That is quite a laugh.

I do not lend your judgement anywhere near that much significance; make no such mistake. I know that I do not.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wait, you are still under the delusion that you are qualified to judge me?
You over-estimate your mental
prowess & moral standing.

Really, differing on whether Hillary
or Trump was the lesser of 2 evils
is nothing to get a upset over.
This is especially so given failure
to address Hillary's predilections.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You over-estimate your mental
prowess & moral standing.

Really, differing on whether Hillary
or Trump was the lesser of 2 evils
is nothing to get a upset over.
This is especially so given failure
to address Hillary's predilections.
Let me introduce you to a revolutionary concept; it is called taking a hint.

Bye.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Let me introduce you to a revolutionary concept; it is called taking a hint.
You posted to me without my ever
addressing you. This bespeaks a
busy bee buzzing in one's britches.

I still forgive you. So if you post
to me with civility, I'll reciprocate.

Last edited:

HonestJoe

You seem to believe that if we'd have thought about the consequences we'd have decided they would be bad.
I think you're conflating the two aspects of your question. The question of whether voters were misled isn't directly related to how they would have voted if they hadn't been. You have to recognise and accept the misinformation and spin the came out during the referendum (in both directions to an extent) before you can talk about how you might have voted without them.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
That was in late 2019, wasn't it? I vividly remember how astonished I was that the British were willing to give so much rope to Boris Johnson despite obvious, ethically challenged maneuvers from him.

It was a year of great disappointment from me towards the British voters. They were being invited to lend prestige to patently dishonest people who never even bothered to try to appear coherent nor principled, and took it all hook, line, and sinker.

To the extent that I can wrap my head around those results even today, I can only conclude that:

1. The British public was quite sick of so much discussion of how to execute Brexit (which is very understandable).

2. Particularly given how embarrassing the push-and-forth between the House of Commons and the European Commission had been through the better part of the year (also very understandable).

3. The matter of the trade border in relation to North Ireland was also no small worry and quite a tiresome, frustrating subject matter.

4. Despite what to me seemed rather obvious cues from the results of Theresa May's efforts, the Conservative Party just would not listen to reason, apparently out of some form of misguided pride.

5. To my considerable if shameful Schadenfreude, plenty of voters decided to buy Boris Johnson's line despite a lot of clear reasons not to.

6. That is probably because the myths that sustain the appeal of Brexit still held a very strong pull for many, regardless of facts. It was nationalism in a very pure form. This is not only not understandable, but really very damning.

7. I will never again presume that the UK are politically any saner than Brazil without checking the facts first. Up until then I did.
Ah, bless you for thinking the UK was a sophisticated electorate. The most popular rags, sorry, newspapers, are reactionary rightwing propaganda outlets - unashamedly so.
The tories have been sufficiently appalling in every way for so long it's even finally filtered through to the working class. I live in the heart of the red wall. It always had 4 Labour MPs but changed to 4 tories at the last election. None of them are standing for re-election now because they know they're going to lose. Good riddance. But no doubt it won't be long before the promise of tax cuts and getting tough on crime will have sections of the working class voting once more for the party of the rich for the rich. Stupid is as stupid does.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you're conflating the two aspects of your question. The question of whether voters were misled isn't directly related to how they would have voted if they hadn't been. You have to recognise and accept the misinformation and spin the came out during the referendum (in both directions to an extent) before you can talk about how you might have voted without them.
I expect those things to come in any kind of vote though, so they're just background noise to me.

I don't find that many people vote based on that; I find their minds tend to be made up well in advance of votes and they just vote for whoever comes closest to their ideal, and it's usually a compromise. I mean, we all pretty much know the Tories are going to fail hard in the next GE, no matter which side you tend to vote for. Minds were made up years ago.

If I know some things are in a certain manifesto and other things in another and I want bits of each, I'll just vote based on more immediate, local concerns, as I believe most people do. The spin has ultimately little to do with it because we all just accept that. It's why I'm not bringing it up and why I'm confused as to why many people seem to think it's the heart of why folks voted for Brexit when it simply wasn't. They were just offering us something we had already been wanting for years, no matter what they said about NHS money and blah blah. As for me, I don't even support the NHS so it didn't mean much.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I expect those things to come in any kind of vote though, so they're just background noise to me.

I don't find that many people vote based on that; I find their minds tend to be made up well in advance of votes and they just vote for whoever comes closest to their ideal, and it's usually a compromise. I mean, we all pretty much know the Tories are going to fail hard in the next GE, no matter which side you tend to vote for. Minds were made up years ago.

If I know some things are in a certain manifesto and other things in another and I want bits of each, I'll just vote based on more immediate, local concerns, as I believe most people do. The spin has ultimately little to do with it because we all just accept that. It's why I'm not bringing it up and why I'm confused as to why many people seem to think it's the heart of why folks voted for Brexit when it simply wasn't. They were just offering us something we had already been wanting for years, no matter what they said about NHS money and blah blah. As for me, I don't even support the NHS so it didn't mean much.
Too many fervent adherents of this or that political
bent believe that voting is simple, ie, that a vote is
either obviously correct, or unforgivably wrong.
Broad analysis eludes them. Understanding that
different people weigh the many factors differently
eludes them. So they rage at the other side.
I don't judge Brexit votes. Things don't always work
out as expected.