• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the law of Moses prohibits anal sex

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
First off, The Torah of Moses does not prohibit same sex love or feelings. Nor does it condemn a person for these types of thoughts. The prohibition in the law of Moses was specifically against male to male anal sex. One could argue that anal sex in general should be prohibited based off of this verse alone.

I believe that God knew that anal sex was able to spread deadly diseases which harm the very people who carry out these acts! Its for the preservation of these very people that He commended these things…not because God somehow hated homosexuals!

Listen to this report from the CDC on HIV and its relation to men who have sex with men:
Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)a represent approximately 2% of the United States population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2010, young gay and bisexual men (aged 13-24 years) accounted for **72%** of new HIV infections among all persons aged 13 to 24
CDC – Fact Sheet - Gay and Bisexual Men – Gender – Risk – HIV/AIDS

Notice that the Torah never said it was wrong to have sexual impulses for men! In fact, the Torah's declaration against the action implies that God knew men would have the impulse. He simply understood the dangers that it caused to the men who would do this act. Once again, He is trying to protect the very people WHO HAVE THESE IMPULSES! I personally do not believe humans are born either gay or straight. We are simply born. Sexual decisions do not constitute a definition for men or women in my opinion. We are simply humans who have the choice to act however we want to act. God informs us on the actions that will cause us harm and the actions that will cause us good. This was the whole reason why He laid down His commandments.

"Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me and always keep all My commandments, that (for this purpose) it might be well with them and with their children forever!" Deuteronomy 5:29

Everyone has the freedom to choose their actions…choose wisely!

If a person has more than one sexual partner, it doesn't matter if all they do is kiss, they can still get an STD. Like did you pass Sex Ed class mate?
It makes more sense to say, only have one sex partner in life. Prohibiting one specific type of sexual act does not prevent the spread of STDs. Because hey, there's all sorts of other ways to spread the disease. Vaginal sex, oral sex, sharing saliva, hell genital warts and herpes can be spread through skin contact even!!
STD Facts, Causes, Types, Transmission, and More

More importantly did you pass Biology class? You are aware of the germ theory right? Fecal matter or for that matter blood in and of itself does nothing. Bacteria/germs that lives inside said fecal matter, sperm, blood, vaginal walls (and practically everything in this world) are the cause of spread of disease.

And does this mean God loves lesbian sex above all else? They are far less likely to contract STD's than their heterosexual counterparts. So if all God was concerned about is the spread of disease then He should be singing praise from the rooftops about lesbian sex.

Last edited:

Simplelogic

No I don't really care about anything you could ever write. Why? Because you try to portray yourself as the one true Jew, knowing everything that can possible be to Judaism with the ultimate goal to undo the last 1900 years of Judaism.

Because obviously you know the truth. But its nothing special, there are entire Religions who claim the same and it has not changed our adherence at all.

The only worry I have is that some gullible naive people will read what you write and think that you are somehow an authority on anything relating to Judaism.

But then again you are perfect for the start into the three weeks.
And you think you
If a person has more than one sexual partner, it doesn't matter if all they do is kiss, they can still get an STD. Like did you pass Sex Ed class mate?
It makes more sense to say, only have one sex partner in life. Prohibiting one specific type of sexual act does not prevent the spread of STDs. Because hey, there's all sorts of other ways to spread the disease. Vaginal sex, oral sex, sharing saliva, hell genital warts and herpes can be spread through skin contact even!!
STD Facts, Causes, Types, Transmission, and More

More importantly did you pass Biology class? You are aware of the germ theory right? Fecal matter or for that matter blood in and of itself does nothing. Bacteria/germs that lives inside said fecal matter, sperm, blood, vaginal walls (and practically everything in this world) are the cause of spread of disease.

And does this mean God loves lesbian sex above all else? They are far less likely to contract STD's than their heterosexual counterparts. So if all God was concerned about is the spread of disease then He should be singing praise from the rooftops about lesbian sex.

Did you even look at the figures from the CDC?

Scroll up. I mentioned the benefits of having one sex partner. Which is what the law of Moses teaches as well.

BTW…there is no prohibition in the law of Moses against lesbian "sex".

Simplelogic

Well, where does the spring water come from? Animals are EVERYWHERE and includes in springs. Microbes exist in spring water. There is no source on earth that is free of disease. And certainly not in water.
Goodness. This is nuts. Fresh spring water is NOT dangerous. Deal with it.

Simplelogic

Again, the fecal matter can contain such things as E coli and a few other things. But one must get this matter into contact with broken skin or in an orifice. Additionally, the body has numerous ways to combat this, unless the person is immunocompromised. Women who have sex vaginally have been known to bleed, such as with rough sex, with some irritations, when they have menstruation, and sometimes with breakthrough, among other reasons. That can spread disease as well.
I recommend reviewing the CDC statistics above.

The law of Moses prohibits sex during a women's period. She must wait 7 days from the start of her period before resuming sex.

Tumah

Veteran Member
First off, The Torah of Moses does not prohibit same sex love or feelings. Nor does it condemn a person for these types of thoughts. The prohibition in the law of Moses was specifically against male to male anal sex. One could argue that anal sex in general should be prohibited based off of this verse alone.

I believe that God knew that anal sex was able to spread deadly diseases which harm the very people who carry out these acts! Its for the preservation of these very people that He commended these things…not because God somehow hated homosexuals!

Listen to this report from the CDC on HIV and its relation to men who have sex with men:
Gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)a represent approximately 2% of the United States population, yet are the population most severely affected by HIV. In 2010, young gay and bisexual men (aged 13-24 years) accounted for **72%** of new HIV infections among all persons aged 13 to 24
CDC – Fact Sheet - Gay and Bisexual Men – Gender – Risk – HIV/AIDS

Notice that the Torah never said it was wrong to have sexual impulses for men! In fact, the Torah's declaration against the action implies that God knew men would have the impulse. He simply understood the dangers that it caused to the men who would do this act. Once again, He is trying to protect the very people WHO HAVE THESE IMPULSES! I personally do not believe humans are born either gay or straight. We are simply born. Sexual decisions do not constitute a definition for men or women in my opinion. We are simply humans who have the choice to act however we want to act. God informs us on the actions that will cause us harm and the actions that will cause us good. This was the whole reason why He laid down His commandments.

"Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me and always keep all My commandments, that (for this purpose) it might be well with them and with their children forever!" Deuteronomy 5:29

Everyone has the freedom to choose their actions…choose wisely!
All of what you are saying here is true except for the title of this thread.
It is not prohibited in the Mosaic Law if its with a female.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
And you think you

Did you even look at the figures from the CDC?

Scroll up. I mentioned the benefits of having one sex partner. Which is what the law of Moses teaches as well.

BTW…there is no prohibition in the law of Moses against lesbian "sex".

Promiscuity which accounts for higher rates of STDs have other factors than just gay men being gay men and anal sex. It's a correlation at best.

I ask again if God was truly concerned about the alleged spread of disease then surely he would be praising lesbian sex as one ideal, because there's fewer STDs

jojom

Wait, so let me get this straight. Because bad stuff exists and thus happens to people, that means God is bad, or non-existent? Because, why let something bad happen to people you love? Is that the point?
Yup. I know it's an ancient one, like your god, but it still applies: the question: "Why does god permit bad things to happen to innocent people." The standard lame excuses are that we can't know the mind of of god, or his ways passeth all understanding, or his bad is really a good we don't understand. So, if any of these excuses are your explanations of why god harms innocent children, save your breath.

How can anyone ever defeat such a solid argument? Hmm. Well, there's always John 11.

Without anguish, woes, and, well, evil... how can you ever know the goodness of God?
Are you actually saying that we can't know good without experiencing anguish, woes, and evil? That good requires these extremes? How about a world in which only good things happen? Or are you hung up on the value of the word "good"? We need the word "good" in our vocabulary because . . . . . . ?

It actually exists for His glory,
This suggests that god is so demented that he created evil so that he may be glorified because we have something to compare good to. That's absolutely daffy.

God: "I want to be glorified."

Angel: "why."

God: "Because it gives me the tingles."

Angel: "So how you going to do that?"

God: "I'll create a creature who glorifies me."

Angel: "Why would they want to do that?

God: "Because I'll rain so much misery and suffering on them that when I stop, they'll be so thankful they will sing my praise and call me good for doing so.

Angel: "So this misery and suffering is only going last for a while and th . . .

God: " Oh no. The misery and suffering will continue, I just won't inflict all of them at the same time or to the same degree. Can't take the carrot away entirely, you know.

Angel: "And you think they'll fall for this plot of yours to gain glorification?"

God: "Of course. I'm not going to give them all that many brains. In fact. . . . . I think I'll create some of them so dumb that their parents will lament ever having the kid, which will serve to gain just that much more glorification. In fact, I'm going to rig this thing so that the more the suffering the more I'm glorified.​

I used to think like this. I was wrong. Let me ask you this: it is said that God cannot sin, it's not in His nature, He's not capable of it being pure and holy. So then, did God create sin? I anxiously await your answer!
Not understanding.

JoStories

I recommend reviewing the CDC statistics above.

The law of Moses prohibits sex during a women's period. She must wait 7 days from the start of her period before resuming sex.
I don;t need to. I am a nurse practitioner, retired now. And as for waiting, my God man, are you for real??? I don't believe for one second you are Jewish.

Curious George

Veteran Member
What are the rabbinical explanations of this? There are certainly other arguments. How have other laws changed over time? Have all laws always been viewed literally? Have laws changed from literal to metaphoric?

Two interesting interpretations are 1) that the mention of this in Leviticus refers to idolatry and 2) that this law makes Clear that the aforementioned prohibited sex acts should not occur in homosexual relationships either.

What do you think of these interpretations?

While I certainly understand your acceptance of early rabbi interpretation,I am curious if you have tried to understand all arguments and what made you conclude as you do? Certainly, if you are on here explaining why the Torah does this you have given the arguments some careful analysis.

JoStories

JoJoM said: Yup. I know it's an ancient one, like your god, but it still applies: the question: "Why does god permit bad things to happen to innocent people." The standard lame excuses are that we can't know the mind of of god, or his ways passeth all understanding, or his bad is really a good we don't understand. So, if any of these excuses are your explanations of why god harms innocent children, save your breath.

In my view, that being my understanding of Buddhism, 'bad' things happen for us to learn. Sometimes the lessons are harsh, such as my daughter's rape, and sometimes they are not. However, these lessons are not 'from God'. They are ours to learn from.

JoStories

JoJoM said: Are you actually saying that we can't know good without experiencing anguish, woes, and evil? That good requires these extremes? How about a world in which only good things happen? Or are you hung up on the value of the word "good"? We need the word "good" in our vocabulary because . . . . . . ?

IMO, we can't know good without knowing bad. How would one distinguish the two if not for knowing both. Kind of like the Yin Yang of the eastern faiths. Both are necessary for understanding.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What are the rabbinical explanations of this? There are certainly other arguments. How have other laws changed over time? Have all laws always been viewed literally? Have laws changed from literal to metaphoric?

Two interesting interpretations are 1) that the mention of this in Leviticus refers to idolatry and 2) that this law makes Clear that the aforementioned prohibited sex acts should not occur in homosexual relationships either.

What do you think of these interpretations?

While I certainly understand your acceptance of early rabbi interpretation,I am curious if you have tried to understand all arguments and what made you conclude as you do? Certainly, if you are on here explaining why the Torah does this you have given the arguments some careful analysis.
Keep in mind you are in 'Religious debates', so all of the answers are religious ones. If you want an edgy non-religious answer you'll have to ask somewhere else. For example if you want to think of practical reasons for the laws, you won't find them in the Torah; and the rabbis are devoted to determining how to follow Torah not to second guessing it.

Simplelogic

I don;t need to. I am a nurse practitioner, retired now. And as for waiting, my God man, are you for real??? I don't believe for one second you are Jewish.
Are you kidding me? Most devout Jews keep this same requirement. What are you talking about? Also, you being a nurse practitioner does not put you above basic CDC statistics. Sorry.

Simplelogic

Yup. I know it's an ancient one, like your god, but it still applies: the question: "Why does god permit bad things to happen to innocent people." The standard lame excuses are that we can't know the mind of of god, or his ways passeth all understanding, or his bad is really a good we don't understand. So, if any of these excuses are your explanations of why god harms innocent children, save your breath.

Are you actually saying that we can't know good without experiencing anguish, woes, and evil? That good requires these extremes? How about a world in which only good things happen? Or are you hung up on the value of the word "good"? We need the word "good" in our vocabulary because . . . . . . ?

This suggests that god is so demented that he created evil so that he may be glorified because we have something to compare good to. That's absolutely daffy.

God: "I want to be glorified."

Angel: "why."

God: "Because it gives me the tingles."

Angel: "So how you going to do that?"

God: "I'll create a creature who glorifies me."

Angel: "Why would they want to do that?

God: "Because I'll rain so much misery and suffering on them that when I stop, they'll be so thankful they will sing my praise and call me good for doing so.

Angel: "So this misery and suffering is only going last for a while and th . . .

God: " Oh no. The misery and suffering will continue, I just won't inflict all of them at the same time or to the same degree. Can't take the carrot away entirely, you know.

Angel: "And you think they'll fall for this plot of yours to gain glorification?"

God: "Of course. I'm not going to give them all that many brains. In fact. . . . . I think I'll create some of them so dumb that their parents will lament ever having the kid, which will serve to gain just that much more glorification. In fact, I'm going to rig this thing so that the more the suffering the more I'm glorified.​

Not understanding.
There is no concept in the Tanakh of God creating evil. Nor is God micromanaging the events of this earth. Nor is God outside of time. Humans have full capability to choose their actions. God did not create Evil, man did. There is no concept in the Torah of humans needing to understand evil in order to understand good.

Simplelogic

JoJoM said: Yup. I know it's an ancient one, like your god, but it still applies: the question: "Why does god permit bad things to happen to innocent people." The standard lame excuses are that we can't know the mind of of god, or his ways passeth all understanding, or his bad is really a good we don't understand. So, if any of these excuses are your explanations of why god harms innocent children, save your breath.

In my view, that being my understanding of Buddhism, 'bad' things happen for us to learn. Sometimes the lessons are harsh, such as my daughter's rape, and sometimes they are not. However, these lessons are not 'from God'. They are ours to learn from.
This may be a concept within Buddhism but it has nothing to do with the Torah.

BTW…you can't say on the one had that "you are receiving a lesson" only to deny that that very lesson is connected to a greater power.

dust1n

Zindīq
Sorry buddy, its common knowledge that spring water is generally safe to drink. Especially when drinking directly from the spring. Its also common knowledge that the further downstream you go the more hazardous the water becomes because of fecal matter. Usually beavers. I never said it was "inherently pure", I said it didn't spread diseases.

Um, I really wouldn't go around telling people to drink unfiltered spring water. If you are going to drink water form a spring, it at least, AT LEAST, needs to be boiled. Otherwise, expect to catch salmonella, or who knows what else.

Simplelogic

Um, I really wouldn't go around telling people to drink unfiltered spring water. If you are going to drink water form a spring, it at least, AT LEAST, needs to be boiled. Otherwise, expect to catch salmonella, or who knows what else.
Maybe this is the case for Rich Westerners who have always drank filtered water their whole life. Most humans would be fine