• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the law of Moses prohibits anal sex

JoStories

This forum is about the Torah and the three Abrahamic faiths dude. Calm down. I love learning about other peoples religions.
This forum is for anyone and any faith, including the lack thereof. It is NOT about the Torah, though that can be the subject of a thread. There are many threads about Buddhism, and any of a lot of other topics. IF you so love learning about other faiths, why have you not shown this to anyone on this forum to date.

rosends

It's odd how telling your posts reveal you to be. No Jewish person I have ever known or met spells out the word G*d. NONE. Neither do they consider G*d a "he". Its merely a word of convenience. Furthermore, just two posts earlier, you stated that God was NOT the cause of evil, that man was. And here you state that God is the author of evil on this planet. If you cannot keep your thoughts clear enough to make sense, you might want to step aback a bit so your are not so often removing that foot from your arse. (please forgive the abrupt tone of my post. This poster is stretching my nerves.)
Just for the sake of clarification, according to some in Judaism, "God" is a label, a convenient way to refer to something which transcends labels. Some take out a letter in order to avoid certain problems. I happen not to worry about that, so I write God, god, G-d and many other combinations based on my mood. Also, I use "he" as a linguistic convenience because English (and Hebrew) lack a proper gender neutral pronoun.

JoStories

And you have embraced a notion of a perfect unchanging God who has regrets, learns new things, and has to share power with other forces. That is at least שִׁתּוּף and a problem, or at least it would be, were you Jewish.
I don't for one moment think this poster is Jewish. There are too many contradictions in his posts for him to be. I have know Hasidic Jews, Orthodox and conservative and reformed. None say the things this person does. I am curious though, why you spell out God.....

JoStories

Just for the sake of clarification, according to some in Judaism, "God" is a label, a convenient way to refer to something which transcends labels. Some take out a letter in order to avoid certain problems. I happen not to worry about that, so I write God, god, G-d and many other combinations based on my mood. Also, I use "he" as a linguistic convenience because English (and Hebrew) lack a proper gender neutral pronoun.
Ah..thank you Rosends. You can ignore that next post of mine.

catch22

Yup. I know it's an ancient one, like your god, but it still applies: the question: "Why does god permit bad things to happen to innocent people." The standard lame excuses are that we can't know the mind of of god, or his ways passeth all understanding, or his bad is really a good we don't understand. So, if any of these excuses are your explanations of why god harms innocent children, save your breath.

One people often forget, yet I live it every day of my life. Perhaps you just have no scope, I don't know. Try this:

Matthew 5 said:
45 that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Or as it's sometimes said, the rain falls on the righteous and the wicked. God is so good, in fact, that He blesses those who hate him, and do harm. Where sin is more, grace abounds? Am I losing you in this?

Are you actually saying that we can't know good without experiencing anguish, woes, and evil? That good requires these extremes? How about a world in which only good things happen? Or are you hung up on the value of the word "good"? We need the word "good" in our vocabulary because . . . . . . ?

Surely you've heard of duality, or dualism?

A world in which there were only good, good wouldn't exist. Normalcy would. You'd have no concept of the opposite, so it would just be regular.

That, also, would be heaven. Or, here, prior to sin entering it.

This suggests that god is so demented that he created evil so that he may be glorified because we have something to compare good to. That's absolutely daffy.

...snip mockup conversation...

It doesn't surprise me you don't understand, you reason from the mind of a man. In your depravity, you assume He is depraved. A better explanation would be that God uses the evil we do and turns it into good.

Not understanding.

God is holy and pure. He is incapable of sin, evil, or wrongdoing. The other guys in this thread are going around in circles on this one concerning Isaiah 45:7 at the moment....

Simplelogic

Yes. God is the first and the last. There is no other "creator" God. Do I need to provide the many verses were God explicitly tells us there are other god's as well?

catch22

Yes. God is the first and the last. There is no other "creator" God. Do I need to provide the many verses were God explicitly tells us there are other god's as well?

This isn't refuted, I doubt. Lowercase gods (in some cases) are just spirit beings God created, but they fell in sin and rebellion to the earth. Most are probably made up, but not all, I imagine.

But implying God is fallible or not supreme, or is taken by surprised, or unprepared, is "still learning"... is rather... heretical? Would that be the polite way of saying it? heh.

Simplelogic

I don't for one moment think this poster is Jewish. There are too many contradictions in his posts for him to be. I have know Hasidic Jews, Orthodox and conservative and reformed. None say the things this person does. I am curious though, why you spell out God.....[/QUOTE]
Ummm. I am the one that stated earlier that I DON'T follow Rabbinic Judaism buddy. Your insults are actually compliments to me.

rosends

There you have a problem -- you said that God didn't create evil, and yet it was created. But you say there is no other creator (not what the verse says, by the way). As to the textual references to "other gods" I'm not concerned. According to your reading, God also says he has an arm, a finger, and a back. Your human figured god could be all sorts of things.

Simplelogic

There you have a problem -- you said that God didn't create evil, and yet it was created. But you say there is no other creator (not what the verse says, by the way). As to the textual references to "other gods" I'm not concerned. According to your reading, God also says he has an arm, a finger, and a back. Your human figured god could be all sorts of things.
God created beings to choose. We all have the capacity to do good or evil. The evil we commit is due to our personal choices and is not an "substance" that God created.

catch22

Maybe he's a closet Christian? Lol! Theophany!

rosends

I don't for one moment think this poster is Jewish. There are too many contradictions in his posts for him to be. I have know Hasidic Jews, Orthodox and conservative and reformed. None say the things this person does. I am curious though, why you spell out God.....Ummm. I am the one that stated earlier that I DON'T follow Rabbinic Judaism buddy. Your insults are actually compliments to me.
You are back to your number problems. That's not for here. You might want to look up what God said he would make of Moshe...וְאַתָּה תִּהְיֶה-לּוֹ לֵאלֹהִים

Simplelogic

D
This isn't refuted, I doubt. Lowercase gods (in some cases) are just spirit beings God created, but they fell in sin and rebellion to the earth. Most are probably made up, but not all, I imagine.

But implying God is fallible or not supreme, or is taken by surprised, or unprepared, is "still learning"... is rather... heretical? Would that be the polite way of saying it? heh.

Yes….they are still god's though.

Simplelogic

You are back to your number problems. That's not for here. You might want to look up what God said he would make of Moshe...וְאַתָּה תִּהְיֶה-לּוֹ לֵאלֹהִים
You just destroyed your own argument. You said earlier that there are literally "no other god's" yet now you are saying that God called Moshe a god. Which way is it?

rosends

You just destroyed your own argument. You said earlier that there are literally "no other god's" yet now you are saying that God called Moshe a god. Which way is it?
I never said that he called Moshe a God. Where do you get this stuff from? It just shows your limitation. You dismiss what you do not understand and impute to others what would be most convenient for you.

dust1n

Zindīq
Goodness. Most humans would be fine drinking spring water. The further downstream you go the more hazardous. This whole rabbit trail is getting annoying.

Equally, most humans would be fine having anal sex. Sure, if acted upon with no knowledge as to possible risks (as in the such of drinking water) then the chances for something bad to happen increases. But regardless the rate of risks, seems like humans get a long just fine.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Keep in mind you are in 'Religious debates', so all of the answers are religious ones. If you want an edgy non-religious answer you'll have to ask somewhere else. For example if you want to think of practical reasons for the laws, you won't find them in the Torah; and the rabbis are devoted to determining how to follow Torah not to second guessing it.
Rabbis have argued about various laws for millennia. If one wants to understand a religious debate, they should understand the foundation.

Simplelogic

Equally, most humans would be fine having anal sex. Sure, if acted upon with no knowledge as to possible risks (as in the such of drinking water) then the chances for something bad to happen increases. But regardless the rate of risks, seems like humans get a long just fine.
Actually, many humans are not getting along just fine. See statistics above.