• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the request for gold by the bible god?

ProfLogic

As seen in Exodus, the self proclaimed god asks for gold as part of a way to honor it. In history, the gathering of gold lead to the slaugthers of innocent cultures, this gold was used to decorate the churchs as we see in rome and spain. Why does the bible god want gold? It seems its a materialistic and not a spiritual request.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
ProfLogic said:
As seen in Exodus, the self proclaimed god asks for gold as part of a way to honor it.

I'm shocked ProfLogic! I thought you didn't believe the God of Exodus existed. But you now seem to confess that you believe the God of Exodus was capable of "self proclaimation". Only something that exists is capable of proclaiming itself to be a deity. What's up with this?

ProfLogic

Sunstone said:
I'm shocked ProfLogic! I thought you didn't believe the God of Exodus existed. But you now seem to confess that you believe the God of Exodus was capable of "self proclaimation". Only something that exists is capable of proclaiming itself to be a deity. What's up with this?

I never said I believe in the self proclaimed god, since the bible claims it self proclaimed itsel, I was just pointing it out since its important in this thread.... So why the gold sunstone?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Perhaps it adds to the elegance of enjoying a fatted calf to have gold-trimmed dinnerware on which to serve it.

Or maybe just 'cause it's sparkly.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
ProfLogic said:
I never said I believe in the self proclaimed god, since the bible claims it self proclaimed itsel, I was just pointing it out since its important in this thread.... So why the gold sunstone?

But you referred to a 'self'- who's there to do the 'self-proclaiming' if there isn't a self?

ProfLogic

doppelgänger said:
Perhaps it adds to the elegance of enjoying a fatted calf to have gold-trimmed dinnerware on which to serve it.

Or maybe just 'cause it's sparkly.

Or possibly the enemies/masters of the chosen people had lots of it?

Faint

ProfLogic said:
As seen in Exodus, the self proclaimed god asks for gold as part of a way to honor it. In history, the gathering of gold lead to the slaugthers of innocent cultures, this gold was used to decorate the churchs as we see in rome and spain. Why does the bible god want gold? It seems its a materialistic and not a spiritual request.
That's funny. What's the exact part in Exodus that you read this?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
ProfLogic said:
Because the Annunaki, whom Jehovah was the representative to Earth, needed gold to protect the atmosphere of their planet Nibiru during its 3630 year orbit of the sun.

Plus gods are like magpies. They have an innate love of shiny things.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
And yet, Psalm 51:16 says that God does not desire sacrifice from us (including that of money, gold, etc.), but rather a contrite heart.

Super Universe

Defender of God
ProfLogic said:

This is from Exodus 30:12.

What you are seeing is a change of revelation put in the bible by the ancient religious leaders.

The gold was delivered to the temple. They also wrote in that you are to make a sacrifice, the best of your flock, which took place on the steps of the temple. Fresh meat delivered to the priests.

Why would God need or desire you to pay Him a ransom and kill an animal?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
ProfLogic said:

quote me in Exodus where HaShem demands gold for His honor?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Super Universe said:
Exodus 30:12

half shekel is made of silver
also the commentary from Rashi...

<B>
Verse 12: When you take the count.
[ [SIZE=-1]{Hebrew Ref}[/SIZE] ] has the meaning of "taking,"<A href="http://www.tachash.org/metsudah/s09n.html#fn1">[SIZE=-3]1[/SIZE] as Onkelos translates it [ [SIZE=-1]{Hebrew Ref}[/SIZE] ]---"you will take." [I.e.] "When you will wish to take the sum total of their numbers, do not take a head count, but, rather, let each give a half-shekel then count the shekalim and you will know [their number]."

http://www.tachash.org/metsudah/s09r.html#ch30

the verses in this passage are telling how a census should be taken, not just about giving an offering to Hashem, nor does the verse talk about it honoring Him

this method of census taking will be given again later in the Torah.
the gold listed in the building supplies are just that...building supplies.</B>

Super Universe

Defender of God
jewscout said:
half shekel is made of silver
also the commentary from Rashi...

the verses in this passage are telling how a census should be taken, not just about giving an offering to Hashem, nor does the verse talk about it honoring Him

this method of census taking will be given again later in the Torah.
the gold listed in the building supplies are just that...building supplies.</B>

Building supplies? Yeah, building a new addition to the priests expensive homes.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
doppelgänger said:
Is there an offering of Gold in Numbers 31:48-54?

the OP claimed that G-d demanded gold as a way of honoring Him, therefore, so the OP reasons, wars were waged to acquire gold...

1. I'm wondering where in Exodus, as the OP claims, did G-d demands gold for His honor
2. the verse in Numbers is the reverse of what the OP is asking for...the text deals with the defeat of Midian and the dividing up of the spoils of war, at that point then G-d demands a portion be offered, which was given to Eleazar the Kohen. HaShem had been with them in battle, so He tells them to give Him an offering to thank Him, not because He wants gold.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
jewscout said:
the OP claimed that G-d demanded gold as a way of honoring Him, therefore, so the OP reasons, wars were waged to acquire gold...

1. I'm wondering where in Exodus, as the OP claims, did G-d demands gold for His honor
2. the verse in Numbers is the reverse of what the OP is asking for...the text deals with the defeat of Midian and the dividing up of the spoils of war, at that point then G-d demands a portion be offered, which was given to Eleazar the Kohen. HaShem had been with them in battle, so He tells them to give Him an offering to thank Him, not because He wants gold.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Super Universe

Defender of God
jewscout said:
or...i don't know....the Mishkan (Tabernacle)

I'm sure you do know the Mishkan but when has this ever told the truth about God?

What do you think God did with this gold?
What do you think God did with animal sacrifices?

God in battle, on the side of one human against another? God could wave His hand and the enemy would disappear.

Surely you realize that this is something the ancient priests wrote in their Torah and not something that was revealed from angelic messengers.

It's the same thing as Athena favoring Achilles over Hector only with a new twist, monotheism.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I'm sure you do know the Mishkan but when has this ever told the truth about God?

ummm the Mishkan is a building...how does a building tell the truth about G-d?
i don't understand what you are trying to say here

What do you think God did with this gold?
What do you think God did with animal sacrifices?
are they meant for G-d or is there a deeper meaning for us?

God in battle, on the side of one human against another? God could wave His hand and the enemy would disappear.
yeah...but then G-d could wave His hand and do anything...then we wouldn't try to do anything ourselves...

Surely you realize that this is something the ancient priests wrote in their Torah and not something that was revealed from angelic messengers.
surely you do realize that i'm a jew who believes the Torah to be a Divinely revealed document:sarcastic

It's the same thing as Athena favoring Achilles over Hector only with a new twist, monotheism.
....you don't want to go there w/ me....