• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was God's name removed from most bibles?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That would mean there is more to talk about.

The op wasnt insiniuating calling his name is all you need to do. Its showing how important his name is.
All I've done is provide scripture showing that you've no idea what the verse means when it says call upon the name. I think you don't know what it means, but you're here trying to teach what it means. This is probably not good, but you aren't impressed by what I've said. I think that ends things. What is left to discuss?

I guess you can let your judgments continue to rule. Its not recommended though

Prov 3: 5 "Trust in Jehovah with all your heart, And do not rely on your own understanding."

Jer 17:9 "The heart is more treacherous than anything else and is desperate. Who can know it?"

Neither does Jesus and almost every name you eant to look at that isnt Greek or Hebrew. You dont have a problem using other names just God's? Sounds like its your personal hang-up.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The text of 110:1 uses a word which does not mean God or anything related to God. I asked why put a capital L on the word "Lord" if that's not what the word means. Your answer is that
"For those who recognize what it means and signifies, it makes sense."
That requires
1. the reader agrees with your understanding before reading
2. therefore that person can accept the inconsistency of this translation
3. that inconsistency is used as a basis for explaining an entire nature of God
4. that belief about God is a central element in your understanding in step 1.

God is plural because
that word is capitalized and
that word is capitalized
because God is plural

someone who doesn't agree with your assessment of "what it means" won't ever have it make sense. So it only makes sense to those who a priori agree with your system of textual understanding. And the sense it makes is what supports that system by helping to establish the theology.
The first part of the psalm (the word in capital letters LORD) is taken from the tetragrammaton. Would you agree with that? Naturally the word Lord or LORD there depends upon the translator, but would you agree that the Hebrew in that place is the four Hebrew letters designating the name of God, YHWH?

YoursTrue

The name "Jehovah" does not exist in the scriptures, including the fact that there were no vowels in the Hebrew name YHWH.

It's so bizarre that some harp on using the right name and yet they don't use the right name. Go
figger. :shrug:
The name in the form of the tetragrammaton (the 4 Hebrew Letters) YHWH exists. And it is not Yeshua or Lord. I am surprised at your stance here.

YoursTrue

The name "Jehovah" does not exist in the scriptures, including the fact that there were no vowels in the Hebrew name YHWH.

It's so bizarre that some harp on using the right name and yet they don't use the right name. Go
It's called accurate knowledge also.

rosends

The first part of the psalm (the word in capital letters LORD) is taken from the tetragrammaton. Would you agree with that? Naturally the word Lord or LORD there depends upon the translator, but would you agree that the Hebrew in that place is the four Hebrew letters designating the name of God, YHWH?
Yes, but that's not the word I'm asking about.

Christian translators have adopted the Jewish tradition of avoiding the casual use of God's divine name by substituting Lord. ...
I think that is a good point. God's name should not be taken vainly, without good reason. Many use also the word "God" vainly, they throw it without meaning lightly, which I think is against God's commandment and wrong (For example saying "oh my god"). But, as Bible shows, God's name can be used, if there is a good purpose and meaning for it, as in this scripture.

You shall not take the name of Jehovah your God in vain; for Jehovah will not leave unpunished the one who takes His name in vain.
Ex. 20:7

YoursTrue

A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. Unfortunately with scholarship some sadly fail to get the point. Sad. And as the scriptures say, the heart is deceptive.

YoursTrue

Yes, but that's not the word I'm asking about.
It's not? There are two translations there of different words, almost saying the same but not quite. And a sea of difference between the two. So I'm not sure what word you're talking about.

rosends

It's not? There are two translations there of different words, almost saying the same but not quite. And a sea of difference between the two. So I'm not sure what word you're talking about.
The text quoted was
"Yhwh declared to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand Until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.”"

And I asked why the word lord was written with a capital L. In the Hebrew, the word is not one that means God.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I think that is a good point. God's name should not be taken vainly, without good reason. Many use also the word "God" vainly, they throw it without meaning lightly, which I think is against God's commandment and wrong (For example saying "oh my god"). But, as Bible shows, God's name can be used, if there is a good purpose and meaning for it, as in this scripture.

You shall not take the name of Jehovah your God in vain; for Jehovah will not leave unpunished the one who takes His name in vain.
Ex. 20:7
And yet most Christian translators have appropriately chosen NOT to use the divine name casually, but render it as "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain."