• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God send good people to Hell just because they dont believe he exists?

InChrist

Free4ever
How is the question relevant?

God lives in a place that is pure, sin-free, and beautiful. Friends are welcome, those who demonstrate love and respect to God and His environment. Why should God allow those who hate Him and desire to hang onto their selfish ways to live with Him for eternity? He has a;ready extended the hand of friendship and welcome to everyone including enemies who hate Him if they want to change their ways and trust Him. Should He force people who hate Him to spend eternity with Him?

God doesn't send people to hell, there is just no other alternative for those who can't stand God or the idea of being with Him forever.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
God lives in a place that is pure, sin-free, and beautiful. Friends are welcome, those who demonstrate love and respect to God and His environment. Why should God allow those who hate Him and desire to hang onto their selfish ways to live with Him for eternity? He has a;ready extended the hand of friendship and welcome to everyone including enemies who hate Him if they want to change their ways and trust Him. Should He force people who hate Him to spend eternity with Him?

God doesn't send people to hell, there is just no other alternative for those who can't stand God or the idea of being with Him forever.

I'm confused. The OP has to do with people who don't believe in a god.

Are you claiming that people who don't believe in a god actually hate god???

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm confused. The OP has to do with people who don't believe in a god.

Are you claiming that people who don't believe in a god actually hate god???

My opinion is that probably most people that don't believe in God do hate God. It may be that some people do not consciously think, "I hate God" but their attitude and actions are such that they have great distaste for the concept of being accountable to any higher authority over their lives than their own. Some people are sincerely seeking answers about spiritual matters or God and just don't have definite beliefs, but I think non-belief is often an excuse side step acknowledging one's accountability to their Creator.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
My opinion is that probably most people that don't believe in God do hate God. It may be that some people do not consciously think, "I hate God" but their attitude and actions are such that they have great distaste for the concept of being accountable to any higher authority over their lives than their own. Some people are sincerely seeking answers about spiritual matters or God and just don't have definite beliefs, but I think non-belief is often an excuse side step acknowledging one's accountability to their Creator.

I'm guessing that not many atheists or agnostics have warmed to that opinion.

To me, the idea that a nonbeliever somehow "hates" god is nonsensical. Most people don't believe that Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny exist. Would you say that they "hate" those beings?

How would you react to someone who told you, "Oh, you say you don't believe in Santa but you really just hate him because you're on his naughty list!"?

InChrist

Free4ever
I'm guessing that not many atheists or agnostics have warmed to that opinion.

To me, the idea that a nonbeliever somehow "hates" god is nonsensical. Most people don't believe that Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny exist. Would you say that they "hate" those beings?

How would you react to someone who told you, "Oh, you say you don't believe in Santa but you really just hate him because you're on his naughty list!"?

I"d say your guess is quite correct, most atheists do not at all like the opinion that they hate God.

As a matter of fact they get a little bent out of shape and come up with off the wall ideas like comparing the Creator of heaven and earth to Santa or tooth fairies. It just demonstrates more clearly their mockery and hatred of God.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
I"d say your guess is quite correct, most atheists do not at all like the opinion that they hate God.

I figured. You'll find that most people don't like it when someone else tells them what they think rather than actually asking them.

As a matter of fact they get a little bent out of shape and come up with off the wall ideas like comparing the Creator of heaven and earth to Santa or tooth fairies.

To a non-believer, god is just as imaginary as Santa or the Tooth Fairy so, in that sense, the comparison is a valid one.

You didn't answer my questions, by the way.

Most people don't believe that Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny exist. Would you say that they "hate" those beings?

It just demonstrates more clearly their mockery and hatred of God.

In what way?

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member

As a matter of fact they get a little bent out of shape and come up with off the wall ideas like comparing the Creator of heaven and earth to Santa or tooth fairies. It just demonstrates more clearly their mockery and hatred of God.
Why would someone hate something that doesn't exist. Atheists have nothing to hate. If they thought god was just being a jerk they would be maltheist.

Ah, well, He wants us to be 'good' to each other for a few reasons. I think the biggest is that we are all created in His image, which I take to mean that we all have meaning or value or worth, however you want to say it. Simply put, God loves us all equally. If you had 15 kids, you would want them all to be kind and civil and loving to each other, because they are all your kids and you care for and love each individual child equally. Well, God is our Father and our Creator. I can't think of ANYTHING that would upset Him more than to see someone take away another person's worth(which is what sin does) sin, or see someone degrade their own worth (which is what sin does) through sin.

Being kind to someone in a weird way gives yourself and the other person value. By stopping to help the lady you are showing her that she is important, she matters. And you show that you have value by, in that instant, doing a righteous thing and taking a step towards becoming holy. Our entire purpose in life is to become holy like God so that we can have a relationship with Him as He originally intended for A&E and all of humanity.

Basically sin devalues the human being, it makes them evil (the one committing the sin), it makes them not sacred (both the victim and the guilty party. God laid out what is considered sacred in the 10 commandments.

So even though you may, through various acts, fulfill the purpose of God's morality (move towards holiness and a relationship with Him) you have still committed sinful acts that have revealed you as the wicked sinner that we all are. You can't outweigh your bad with good when the standard is perfection. Guilty is guilty is guilty. Only Christ can wash away that guilt.

God set up an impossible standard for us to measure up to (perfection). This would be unfair and a wrong thing to do IF (and that is the biggest if EVER) He did not provide a way to 'measure up.' But He did provide a way, Christ, and it is available to ALL. The 'ball is in our court' at that point and we have to make the conscience decision to choose love.
I was involved in a similar discussion on another forum recently and it was pointed out by another atheist/skeptic that some of the people in the OT were brought to heaven when they died. If this is true then they were brought into God’s presence before Jesus came along to wash away all sins. Which of course means that until Jesus came along, they still had the stain of sin on their souls in heaven. In turn this means that, contrary to what you’ve been saying, God in fact CAN abide sin in his presence. On a side note, how long did Satan commit the sin of pride in God’s presence before he rebelled and was cast out?

However, if the OT figures did not have the stain of sin on them, how were their sins redeemed? And if they were redeemed before Jesus arrived, why was his sacrifice necessary?

Maybe he just has drum magic and not guitar or bass or vocal magic. I would still be impressed by the drumming too since I couldn't do it, but I see what you are saying. Why do you think God snapped His fingers and *poof* everything was made in an instant?
Because he could and because that’s the way he does things.
Keep in mind that if God exists, I’m not criticizing his methods, I’m only saying that I wouldn’t be much impressed by it.

As Christ He felt the passage of time. It must have taken some effort to create, He rested on the 7th day.
We’re always being told by Christians that God exists outside of time. And, if he exists, he wasn’t Christ when he created the universe anyway.

I understand it's hard to come to terms with. Maybe wicked is a strong word but I think it's apt. Compared to Christ, the man that has sinned once is imperfect. 1 sin is wicked. 9876 sins are wicked. No matter how you slice it, you get a wicked sinner. Now compared to Hitler you and I are saints. But we aren't compared to each other, only to Christ, which is perfect holiness.
How can we be compared to something that we were never meant to be? That would be like my creating you without wings and then judging you as a hopeless sinner for not having the ability to fly. It makes no sense.

And many sins we commit affect others - we have no idea and could never know. Those hateful words I said to that kid in middle school may stick with him for the rest of his life, cause him to cut himself and eventually commit suicide - you never know. But no matter how you slice it, whether it's a private sin or one committed against another, you have disobeyed God, defiled His creation and sinned against Him. That's pretty bad.
It goes without saying that our sins affect others in this way but it has nothing to do with what we’re talking about. What we’re talking about is analogous to my stealing money and the evil nature of that act infecting the entire world making everybody more inclined to steal, even those who haven’t been born yet.

Those are good questions and honestly I don't know. *OPINION* I assume that evil came about because of Satan's choice to rebel. Once God decided to make a new species (man), He had to present them with a choice between good and evil, and they chose wrong.
As I noted above, Satan experienced the sin of pride before he decided to rebel. So if what you say is true, either pride is not a sin or, evil is not a force in and of itself that causes temptation but rather, merely the choice or the sinful act is evil.

Well, my NIV translation reads 'you will be like God,' in verse 5 of chapter 3. 'To be like God' *could* entail the idea of having power like Him - we have little indication of what Eve thought. Also we have no idea how long she was around before he came whispering in her ear.
To begin with, “be as gods” is not the entire sentence. The entire sentence is “…be as gods, knowing good and evil.” Any idiot can see from this that apparently only the gods had knowledge of good and evil and God feared that if Adam and Eve did, they would be like the gods in that respect.

As for whether or not it says “God” or “gods”, the word used in the original Hebrew text was elohiym which is plural for elowahh, God or god. Obviously at some point the ancient Hebrews and Israelites became monotheists but archaeological evidence supports the idea that they were most likely polytheists earlier on. It is further supported by the textual evidence such as God saying in Genesis: “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness…”.

You have not been put into the appropriate situation. Also you have handpicked one sin - there are countless others we have committed. I have no desire to lie right now, but that doesn't mean I won't lie this week when the opportunity presents itself.
That’s not the point. The point is, if being like God held no appeal for them in the first place then telling them they wouldn’t die wouldn’t have mattered. Once the serpent removed the threat of death for her, Eve jumped right on it.

The serpent seemed to plant doubt and pride into Eve's mind when he said what he said - she probably never thought that God didn't really mean what He said until the serpent said it.
He seemed to, or he did? It was always my understanding that Satan doesn’t actually influence us or make us sin, he only tempts us with the desires that are already in our hearts.

The text gives no reason to believe that. On the contrary, if the thought of sinning and being like God were truly her own and originated with herself, logically Eve would have eaten the fruit BEFORE the serpent ever said a word to her. She wouldn't need his goading. In fact, it seems that the thought never crossed her mind until the serpent says something about it. Only then does she act upon a thought/idea/desire that, according to the text, seems to originate outside of herself.
The only thing that kept them from eating the fruit was the thought that they would die. Like I said, once the serpent removed that from the equation, she jumped on it.

They were created out of love. Love allows for free will. As humans they had free will. Free will always allows for the possibility of sin/evil. Christ could have sinned - he was faced with it and tempted by it on a daily basis - he was human for a time. But he didn't sin.

Was I a murderer before I killed a man in cold blood? No - killing a man in cold blood made me a murderer. In the same way A&E were perfect before they ate the fruit and disobeyed God. Eating the fruit and disobeying God made them imperfect. They made a choice - choices have consequences.
I wasn’t a sinner until I committed my first sin but I already had a sinful nature because somebody else sinned? This doesn’t make any sense.

DandyAndy

I was involved in a similar discussion on another forum recently and it was pointed out by another atheist/skeptic that some of the people in the OT were brought to heaven when they died. If this is true then they were brought into God’s presence before Jesus came along to wash away all sins. Which of course means that until Jesus came along, they still had the stain of sin on their souls in heaven. In turn this means that, contrary to what you’ve been saying, God in fact CAN abide sin in his presence. On a side note, how long did Satan commit the sin of pride in God’s presence before he rebelled and was cast out?

However, if the OT figures did not have the stain of sin on them, how were their sins redeemed? And if they were redeemed before Jesus arrived, why was his sacrifice necessary?

Interesting point - you are talking about the two guys that went to heaven without physically dying - I think they were Enoch and someone else - I could be wrong about the name, but I'm fairly sure it was 2 dudes. I'll read up on it. Sorry.

Because he could and because that’s the way he does things.
Keep in mind that if God exists, I’m not criticizing his methods, I’m only saying that I wouldn’t be much impressed by it.

Fair enough.

We’re always being told by Christians that God exists outside of time. And, if he exists, he wasn’t Christ when he created the universe anyway.

But what does the Bible say about God and time? I agree that most Christians say that and I admit that that's how I understand it as well, but is it truly Biblical? I'm not sure. Could God have existed outside of time, created time, and then entered Himself into the constraints of time? I don't know - that's all speculation by the way - ill informed speculation at that. But clearly Christ was within time for a period.

Depends on how you feel about the Trinity. The scriptures say that Christ was with God, that Christ was God and that in the beginning all things were made through Christ and so on in John 1.

How can we be compared to something that we were never meant to be? That would be like my creating you without wings and then judging you as a hopeless sinner for not having the ability to fly. It makes no sense.

God's original plan was for us all to be as A&E were before they ate the fruit. God's new plan for us is to be perfect as Christ was, to be holy and blameless before God, so that we can be in perfect relation with God as we were intended. Since God wants us with Him, it makes sense that He would measure us against the standard for being blameless and in His presence - that would be Christ.

It goes without saying that our sins affect others in this way but it has nothing to do with what we’re talking about. What we’re talking about is analogous to my stealing money and the evil nature of that act infecting the entire world making everybody more inclined to steal, even those who haven’t been born yet.

OH, sorry, I see what you are saying now. Well, A&E were the first humans, they were special. I know that sounds like a dodge but it's not. They were the only humans to not be born of another human, they had access to eternal life (as physical creatures) and they were unique in many ways, so it makes sense that their lives and their choices would have unique consequences. That's all I got, sorry.

As I noted above, Satan experienced the sin of pride before he decided to rebel. So if what you say is true, either pride is not a sin or, evil is not a force in and of itself that causes temptation but rather, merely the choice or the sinful act is evil.

Wasn't his act of rebellion, fueled by his desire to be equal to God, the very prideful thing which made him a sinner? We'd have to look at the text, we're starting to get into waters I'm not very familiar with and would feel uncomfortable speaking of off the cuff about because I could very easily get something wrong. Sorry.

It could very well be (what I underlined). I never thought of it that way, that's an excellent question. Evil could be only the result of a sinful choice and not some malevolent force that exists apart from choices - I am not sure, I'm speculating again. But if evil is an actual force that creates temptation, remember that experiencing temptation is not a sin - acting upon that temptation is the sin. I know you probably know that, I just don't want to assume. Christ was tempted a lot but was perfect because he did not give into temptation.

To begin with, “be as gods” is not the entire sentence. The entire sentence is “…be as gods, knowing good and evil.” Any idiot can see from this that apparently only the gods had knowledge of good and evil and God feared that if Adam and Eve did, they would be like the gods in that respect.

As for whether or not it says “God” or “gods”, the word used in the original Hebrew text was elohiym which is plural for elowahh, God or god. Obviously at some point the ancient Hebrews and Israelites became monotheists but archaeological evidence supports the idea that they were most likely polytheists earlier on. It is further supported by the textual evidence such as God saying in Genesis: “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness…”.

OH. Ok. No need to get testy. I never argued that only God knew good and evil; obviously the angels, Satan and the fallen angels knew as well. I was just thinking outside the box based on what my NIV said, allowing myself to see something that I may not have seen before. I can't read the whole thing and know everything and catch everything the first time. I try to be open-minded some - I guess a little too much. Sorry.

I'm no linguist or scholar either, you may be right, I don't know. Sorry.

That’s not the point. The point is, if being like God held no appeal for them in the first place then telling them they wouldn’t die wouldn’t have mattered. Once the serpent removed the threat of death for her, Eve jumped right on it.

Hmmm. Perhaps.

He seemed to, or he did? It was always my understanding that Satan doesn’t actually influence us or make us sin, he only tempts us with the desires that are already in our hearts.

He spoke the words, so I guess in that sense he did.

I say seemed because I don't know what was going on in Eve's mind, I don't know if that temptation is what caused her to make the decision to eat the fruit. I don't know if it was a culmination of things that caused her to eat the fruit, or if it was a specific thing the serpent said, or if his temptations got her thinking about something else.

I would call tempting a direct influence. Obviously he doesn't make the choice for us or force it upon us, but we are certainly tempted. I am personally influenced by temptation from time to time - the danger of temptation is that it does influence our decisions. But we still make our decisions.

These 'desires in our hearts' you speak of could be another way of describing sinful nature - the desire exists within us but we are not guilty of sin until we act upon it - our sinful nature is a negative influence on our decision making which causes us to naturally act sinful/evil.

The only thing that kept them from eating the fruit was the thought that they would die. Like I said, once the serpent removed that from the equation, she jumped on it.

Perhaps. I think that may be assuming too much, but it is possible. I never thought of it that way to think that the threat of death was the only thing keeping them from eating it.

I wasn’t a sinner until I committed my first sin but I already had a sinful nature because somebody else sinned? This doesn’t make any sense.

Sure. It makes sense to me. Something awful infected the human race because of someones decision and was passed down and became a part of what it means to be human. I don't know another way to explain it without getting more abstract and confusing. I'm not the best at explaining things. I would only muddy the waters more if I explained it differently. Sorry.

I said sorry a lot in this post. Sorry.

:sorry1:

Amill

Apikoros
So god's not accountable for people going to hell even though he created the place and made up the rules for who goes there? Seems like it was his idea to me. He was the one who made sure there was "no other alternative".

And why would someone choose hell so they don't have to be with him forever? Do you honestly think that's the kind of thoughts people have?:sarcastic

he shouldn't send someone who doesn't understand the aim.
how can one know what the purpose is if it isn't explained?
the child is aimless, innocent and ignorant yet held accountable by someone who knows they do not understand...
fail.

Child doesn't means that he/she is 3 years old or so. The child can be over 25 years old, a person who has done PhD or something like that. I simply had it for an example, and you did not understood it for yourself.

the dad failed because the dad knew the child wasn't capable of understanding the purpose...

again, it is the "child" who failed to understand its purpose, turning away from his/her mission.

if a parent told a 3 yr old to look both ways before he crosses the street and then leaves him alone, is the 3 yr old accountable for not understanding the laws of physics and the consequences of being hit by a car? there is more to it than doing what your told...you have to find out what draws the lines...
i'm guessing you don't have children.

again, look at my first saying, you did not understand the purpose of why I wrote this example.

And what are you rumbling about "its the insecurity of god" can you please explain this?

Exceeder

The first question is "How do you know that these people actually go to hell?". Because Church says so? And the church has done it's fair share of mistakes in the past so it sure as hell is not perfect either.

I only believe in one sentence and if that would not separate me from the damned, then heaven does not exist in the first place.

" Do not hurt others, or yourself." Live by that and you will find rest and happiness. If god is so powerful, which I certainly believe that he is, then he can
see us as we really are and would know that just by not believing in church, we are still 'good' people after all.

DandyAndy

The first question is "How do you know that these people actually go to hell?". Because Church says so? And the church has done it's fair share of mistakes in the past so it sure as hell is not perfect either.

I only believe in one sentence and if that would not separate me from the damned, then heaven does not exist in the first place.

" Do not hurt others, or yourself." Live by that and you will find rest and happiness. If god is so powerful, which I certainly believe that he is, then he can
see us as we really are and would know that just by not believing in church, we are still 'good' people after all.

Have you ever read the Bible?

Interesting point - you are talking about the two guys that went to heaven without physically dying - I think they were Enoch and someone else - I could be wrong about the name, but I'm fairly sure it was 2 dudes. I'll read up on it. Sorry.

And I believe the other one was Elijah. In any case, dead or alive, he still had the stain of sin on him when he got there.

But what does the Bible say about God and time? I agree that most Christians say that and I admit that that's how I understand it as well, but is it truly Biblical? I'm not sure. Could God have existed outside of time, created time, and then entered Himself into the constraints of time? I don't know - that's all speculation by the way - ill informed speculation at that. But clearly Christ was within time for a period.

Depends on how you feel about the Trinity. The scriptures say that Christ was with God, that Christ was God and that in the beginning all things were made through Christ and so on in John 1.
As far as I know, the Bible says nothing about God being outside of time and space. This is something that was most likely made up by apologists to explain a contradiction. The problem with that though is that apologetic explanations oftimes create contradictions of their own.

God's original plan was for us all to be as A&E were before they ate the fruit. God's new plan for us is to be perfect as Christ was, to be holy and blameless before God, so that we can be in perfect relation with God as we were intended. Since God wants us with Him, it makes sense that He would measure us against the standard for being blameless and in His presence - that would be Christ.
This suggests that God did not know that Adam and Eve would disobey him. This contradicts what we are told about God knowing everything, including the future.

OH, sorry, I see what you are saying now. Well, A&E were the first humans, they were special. I know that sounds like a dodge but it's not. They were the only humans to not be born of another human, they had access to eternal life (as physical creatures) and they were unique in many ways, so it makes sense that their lives and their choices would have unique consequences. That's all I got, sorry.
I’m afraid I’m just going to have to remain skeptical then.

Wasn't his act of rebellion, fueled by his desire to be equal to God, the very prideful thing which made him a sinner? We'd have to look at the text, we're starting to get into waters I'm not very familiar with and would feel uncomfortable speaking of off the cuff about because I could very easily get something wrong. Sorry.
Okay, we are told that Satan wanted to be (or thought he was) like God, that there was a rebellion and he and a third of the heavenly host were cast out and that this occurred sometime before or right after creation. This may or may not explain the serpent in the garden (if it doesn't then the serpent was just a talking snake which makes the story that much less plausible).

Problem is, when I did a little research on this, I ran into a couple of problems. The only book in the Bible that mentions Satan being cast out is in Revelations chapter 12 and as everybody knows, Revelations is an account of what will happen in the last days. The only other reference I found was Isaiah 14:12:

"How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!"

First I want to address the problem with the Isaiah reference. When this verse is read in context, it is an obvious continuation of chapter 13 which is a prophecy against the king of Babylon.

As for Revelations 12, it tells the story of how the dragon (Satan) threatens the pregnant woman and her soon to be born child. She and the child are then whisked away to safety.

Then in the very next paragraph it recounts a war in heaven between the dragon, Satan (presumably the same dragon that threatened the woman in the preceding paragraph) and his angels on one side and Michael and his angels on the other.

The problems here are twofold. First, the dragon (Satan) swept a third of the stars from the heavens with its tail (which I interpret to mean that the dragon was so large and menacing, its tail was able to literally knock the stars from the sky) before the war in heaven while he was threatening the woman. Secondly, As I mentioned, Revelations is an account of what will happen in the last days. So if Satan is to be cast out during the celestial battle in the last days as Revelations clearly states, how is it that people take the story in this chapter to mean Satan was cast out before creation? And why would there even be an account of Satan's ouster before creation in an account of the Apocalypse at the end of days?

It could very well be (what I underlined). I never thought of it that way, that's an excellent question. Evil could be only the result of a sinful choice and not some malevolent force that exists apart from choices - I am not sure, I'm speculating again. But if evil is an actual force that creates temptation, remember that experiencing temptation is not a sin - acting upon that temptation is the sin. I know you probably know that, I just don't want to assume. Christ was tempted a lot but was perfect because he did not give into temptation.
No, temptation is not a sin but pride is.

OH. Ok. No need to get testy. I never argued that only God knew good and evil; obviously the angels, Satan and the fallen angels knew as well. I was just thinking outside the box based on what my NIV said, allowing myself to see something that I may not have seen before. I can't read the whole thing and know everything and catch everything the first time. I try to be open-minded some - I guess a little too much. Sorry.

I'm no linguist or scholar either, you may be right, I don't know. Sorry.
I apologize if I seemed testy but it wasn’t really directed at you per se. I was just making an observation that one doesn’t need to be a scholar to see that the serpent meant that by knowing good and evil, they would be like the gods in that respect.

Although this presents a problem in itself in that, since Adam and Eve were not aware of the concept of good and evil or even of the concept of what it would be like to be like the gods, why would they be tempted by it?

He spoke the words, so I guess in that sense he did.

I say seemed because I don't know what was going on in Eve's mind, I don't know if that temptation is what caused her to make the decision to eat the fruit. I don't know if it was a culmination of things that caused her to eat the fruit, or if it was a specific thing the serpent said, or if his temptations got her thinking about something else.

I would call tempting a direct influence. Obviously he doesn't make the choice for us or force it upon us, but we are certainly tempted. I am personally influenced by temptation from time to time - the danger of temptation is that it does influence our decisions. But we still make our decisions.

These 'desires in our hearts' you speak of could be another way of describing sinful nature - the desire exists within us but we are not guilty of sin until we act upon it - our sinful nature is a negative influence on our decision making which causes us to naturally act sinful/evil.
If I taunt you and you injure me out of anger, whose fault is it? The court would find you guilty of assault and I would not be charged at all because you always had the choice not to assault me. You could have walked away and that would have been the end of it.

Spoken words have no power to make us do anything. It is our choice to allow words to trigger us and it is our choice to react or not to react.

Sure. It makes sense to me. Something awful infected the human race because of someones decision and was passed down and became a part of what it means to be human. I don't know another way to explain it without getting more abstract and confusing. I'm not the best at explaining things. I would only muddy the waters more if I explained it differently. Sorry.
Thing is, the text says nothing about the eating of the fruit infecting them with a sinful nature, it only says that after eating it, they had the knowledge of good and evil. If simply having the knowledge of good and evil means we have a sinful nature then the gods must have had a sinful nature too, correct?

InChrist

Free4ever
So god's not accountable for people going to hell even though he created the place and made up the rules for who goes there? Seems like it was his idea to me. He was the one who made sure there was "no other alternative".

And why would someone choose hell so they don't have to be with him forever? Do you honestly think that's the kind of thoughts people have?:sarcastic

Let me ask you something. Do you love God? Do you want to spend eternity with God?

InChrist

Free4ever
Thing is, the text says nothing about the eating of the fruit infecting them with a sinful nature, it only says that after eating it, they had the knowledge of good and evil. If simply having the knowledge of good and evil means we have a sinful nature then the gods must have had a sinful nature too, correct?

I think it was disobedience and distrust of God that was the initial sin and that which brought about the sinful nature. Adam and Eve had already seen God's goodness toward them with all that He had blessed them with in the garden. Yet, rather than trust God's word and refrain from the one forbidden tree they chose to trust the words of the serpent and their own judgment of what to do in that situation instead of God's wisdom.