• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would somebody willingly become a Satanist?

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I think the first form of card reading in the west was in that form. But the advanced version (updated to now) comes from freemasons and is influenced heavily by the three books attributed to Solomon (a) they believe to be his but the rest of the world does not.
Yes, the divinatory aspect of it was apparently first developed by French occultists in the 18th century, some of whom were Freemasons, but not all. But that was then. I see more Jungian influence in it now than anything having to do with Freemasonry.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, the divinatory aspect of it was apparently first developed by French occultists in the 18th century, some of whom were Freemasons, but not all. But that was then. I see more Jungian influence in it now than anything having to do with Freemasonry.
We might be reading the same Wiki article differently. I would like to see how you can conclude what you concluded.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
We might be reading the same Wiki article differently. I would like to see how you can conclude what you concluded.
Because I'm familiar with Tarot cards, have owned them and used them myself and don't see what Freemasonry has to do with it now?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Because I'm familiar with Tarot cards, have owned them and used them myself and don't see what Freemasonry has to do with it now?
The ones modifying it with Jungian influence were themselves freemasons or am I wrong? And doesn't it still make use of the four classifications air, earth, fire, and water?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
don't see what Freemasonry has to do with it now?
The issue to me, even opening Quran randomly and thinking it can tell you what to do (as Muslims do) or divination with arrows as Arabs used to, or what people do with sand, and each culture has it's own version, is linking yourself to the influence of demons.

When Freemasons brought the Tarot, they did so believing in the key of Solomon and the other two books.

For me it doesn't matter cards - what type - arrow system - sand type system - anything - even opening Quran randomly as Muslims do with Istekhara, is inviting chaotic influence of demons. This is what I believe. The person doesn't have to believe it, for example, a Muslim doing istekhara with Quran might think God and Angels are getting them to open right page with right verse with right feedback to the situation. But it's inviting Satan and his forces in my view.

Colt

Is there a Satanic Christmas type holiday when Satanist celebrate the birth of Satan?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Remember the Satanic Panic of the 80s? Acussations made, trials held, reputations ruined. Entirely false.
Yeah there was a lot of false allegations against emotional type dressed people (goth for example). People would sentence to jail for life people who were innocent out of emotion (the jury too irrational back then and swayed by emotion).

Also, there was a lot of rape allegations against black men that weren't true. Still happens too much today.

Colt

Why aren't you cutting all of the tens of thousands of children raped by Catholic and protestant clergy and then demonized by the faithful of their laity?
As a percentage of the demographic I wonder if there is a statistical difference?

ppp

As a percentage of the demographic I wonder if there is a statistical difference?
If you can find a legit study, I would like to see it. The sacred and exalted regard given to Christian clergy is a major factor in why the laity (and other clergy) shield the offender from prosecution or even embarrassment. That doesn't seem to exist in the Satanic Temple.

amorphous_constellation

I've read academic papers on this from my university search Library thing. Tarot was brought by freemasons. And it's based on demonology, even western astrology is as far the types "fire, earthly, water, air".
I don't know about the association you're talking about here, as I've yet to read about a connection between the Tarot and the freemasons. Nor I do really connect it to demonology, or the four elements you describe. It's not that a person couldn't do that, if they wanted to, as the Tarot is highly amorphous in some sense, and can theoretically reflect whatever cogent system you saddle it with. Personally I think it might call on everyone to interact with it differently.

Again I don't know anything about Freemasons, but if the early Tarot decks featured a lot of women in them, and the freemasons didn't even admit them to their club, according to their wikipedia article, then I don't know why they'd like the Tarot that much. But they might like it for some reason, I don't know. It isn't restricted to any group

I don't really personally go for the 'demonology' description, because it's just me interpreting the cards, and it's not me calling on any other entity to do it. But if spirit contact is something someone wants to do with it, that's their business. For me it's just about connecting together different ideas, and it may come off as looking mystical, but it's really just the work of my brain trying to be creative. Take 2 cards, out of the 78, and try to describe how they interact with each other. Is that a sin?

That said, I think the cards do indicate a metaphysical reality, or higher meaning to it all. But I don't think that this frees me from having to do all (or most, if you believe that some amount of human thought is naturally externally inducted) my own thought work.

Nor do I use it for divination

Last edited:

Colt

Satan can be worshipped in a temple but is too humble to have a holiday focused on his birth? The Satanist religion isn’t very well thought out.

Esteban X

Satan can be worshipped in a temple but is too humble to have a holiday focused on his birth? The Satanist religion isn’t very well thought out.
It can seem that way if you don't make an effort to actually understand it. If you read La Vey's Satanic Bible it actually starts to make some sense. I'm not a Satanist myself but I can see some value to La Vey's philosophy, which he himself described as "objectivism with rituals". La Veyan Satanists seem to commit the "No True Scotsman Fallacy" in that they deny the validity of other group that call themselves Satanist. It can become a very tangled skein much like criticizing Baptiststs based on the beliefs and practices of Mormons because they are both Christian

ppp

They had to make it not well thought out, or no one would recognize it as a religion.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
Again, birthdays. They're the Christmas for many Satanists and allied folks.