• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Jesus support Healthcare Reform?

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Thank god for the Atlantic.

Don't let the hypocritical ranting of a few million self-righteous blow-hards ruin the country for you... There's still a size-able portion of intelligent, compassionate people that help sustain my faith in it. They're just harder to find since fox news won't show them...

KatNotKathy

Don't let the hypocritical ranting of a few million self-righteous blow-hards ruin the country for you... There's still a size-able portion of intelligent, compassionate people that help sustain my faith in it. They're just harder to find since fox news won't show them...

The problem is that plenty of Americans are good people, just not the ones making the policies.

Alceste

Vagabond
Like I said he wouldnt be fooled by the foolishness of the carrot on the stick. He would already know the true political reasons and the agenda of the lobbyist who are really in control of the country and he would see how well(yeah right) the government has done with medicare and medicaid and how miserably they are failing with social security and see passed the twistedness of those who try to manipulate it into being about the human heart.Isn't it the politicians job to make lobbyist proposals look good in public opinion?

Right, because Jesus was a cunning, cynical, contemptuous, conspiracy theorizing anarchist, just like you.

3390.jpg

And one other thing, tell me the difference between an anti-war rally and a pro-peace rally and then you will understand where Jesus would probably take a stance as far as rallying is concerned?
There is no difference between an anti-war and a pro-peace rally. If you are sincerely pro-peace, you are also uncompromisingly anti-war - all wars - even wars started by your own "tribe" - as much as it might trouble you to accept this.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I thought jesus was all about clothing the naked, feeding the hungry and healing the afflicted. He was never a big supporter of the rights of the rich and powerful and was always urging people to give away their wealth, abandon everything, and follow Him.
Surely He would have supported legislation that contributed to the general good?

Alceste

Vagabond
I thought jesus was all about clothing the naked, feeding the hungry and healing the afflicted. He was never a big supporter of the rights of the rich and powerful and was always urging people to give away their wealth, abandon everything, and follow Him.
Surely He would have supported legislation that contributed to the general good?

I think it's safe to say that when Jesus returns he's going to be giving the "red states" a wide berth for fear his followers will crucify him all over again when he attempts to remind them of his teachings.

look3467

Premium Member
What do you want......to legislate morals?
Jesus gave but two commandments, 1. Love God with all your heart, mind and soul and 2. Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

I do not see Jesus forcing anybody to do either one of the two.

Now, if you and I can muster from within, compassion for the poor, then you and I are practicing what the Lord gave us as right.

Now a right is something that God can only give without any penalty, where as a legislated moral can not but impose a penalty for none conforming.

So then, to come out and cry foul and condemn all Christians, non-christians, Americans, and non Americans as being uncharitable, and demanding that they be charitable unwillingly, is at the height of arrogance and hypocrisy.

Now, if you want to take religion and its standards out of the picture, then and only then will you be in the right to demand anything from anybody.

But as long as God allows us the right of freedom, no man demand otherwise.

Blessings, AJ

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
ROFL :biglaugh: -- The "free market's never worked. It's been an unmitigated disaster everywhere it's been tried!

I'm curious as to why it never works. There's a lot of turmoil in it sure but I think its an effective way of doing things.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm curious as to why it never works. There's a lot of turmoil in it sure but I think its an effective way of doing things.

Yes, it effectively sent all our jobs to China ;). I don't see a lot of corporate money 'trickling down' my way, either. And have you noticed that every time an industry is left to regulate itself we get an S&L crisis, an Enron or a mortgage crisis?
It's not just here, either. Look what happened in Argentina after the Chicago Boys (Friedman's "free trade" economists) started messing with their economy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just_me_Mike

Would Jesus support Healthcare Reform?

If the Jesus of the Gospels were here on earth today, living as a mortal man in the United States of America. Do you think he would be marching with the Tea Partiers? Or standing up for the needs of those who could not afford private insurance?

• Luke 10:33-34 "..But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. (34) He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him."
  • Matthew 25:40 "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
  • Matthew 10:1 "He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness."
  • Matthew 12:15 "Many followed him, and he healed all their sick."
Jesus taught that you should pay your taxes, help those in need, care for the weak and invalid, love your neighbors, and do unto others as you would have done to you. This should not only apply to stocking your Food Pantry at your church, but supporting efforts to alleviate suffering throughout your community and beyond.

And no, I am not a Christian, but I was one for over 29 yrs. I taught the youth in our church and was elected as a Deacon during my final 2 years at my church. So I am not ignorant of Christian theology. I am just amazed at the amount of selfishness displayed by many professing Christians today who would withhold care and prevention of death and disability to those less fortunate than themselves.
My take has always been a little different.
When I read Jesus talking about healing the sick, helping the poor, visiting those in prison, etc... I always, even before I called myself a Christian, felt there was something between those lines.

For me, the sick, the poor, the imprisoned are those under the bondage of sin. They are sick because they have not salvation, they are poor because they have not the riches of eternal life, they are imprisoned because they are not free from sin.

In other words, it never seemed to me Jesus cared much for this world, and the book of John even talks about this, but that Jesus cared about souls. He cared about what happens to you after you die, not while you live. Which again goes well with what Paul talked about wanting to leave this place and be with Jesus.

Anyway, just my two cents, so I don't think Jesus would care much for the bill, and he would treat it like the question about Caesar's money.

no-body

My take has always been a little different.
When I read Jesus talking about healing the sick, helping the poor, visiting those in prison, etc... I always, even before I called myself a Christian, felt there was something between those lines.

Yes. I get disgusted whenever mainstream Christianity tries to twist such beautiful words by such a smart man and tries to make them about what a wicked awesome debater he was. How shallow.

For me, the sick, the poor, the imprisoned are those under the bondage of sin. They are sick because they have not salvation, they are poor because they have not the riches of eternal life, they are imprisoned because they are not free from sin.

In other words, it never seemed to me Jesus cared much for this world, and the book of John even talks about this, but that Jesus cared about souls. He cared about what happens to you after you die, not while you live. Which again goes well with what Paul talked about wanting to leave this place and be with Jesus.
Wait, what? "blessed are the poor in spirit" "on earth as it in heaven" "judge not lest ye be judged" "turn the other cheek" I think you're thinking of some other Jesus of Nazareth.

Last edited:

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
Seems to me it is already started with the medical bill just passed!

Blessings, AJ

You mean that the democratically elected legislators of a secular country founded on separation of church and state created a law that does not exactly conform with your niche take on Christianity? Get out...

Yerda

Veteran Member
I see most Christian churches as for-profit. Since the new healthcare plan puts for-profit dollars in the pockets of many already wealthy companies, I would guess Jesus would love the new bill.
I've heard a few times that some insurance companies will make lots of cash out of this, and that it's generally business friendly, this reform. Why, it is driving the Republicans from their caves in hysteria is what puzzles me. Surely they should be delighted if it's going to line the pockets of the rich?

I've heard a few times that some insurance companies will make lots of cash out of this, and that it's generally business friendly, this reform. Why, it is driving the Republicans from their caves in hysteria is what puzzles me. Surely they should be delighted if it's going to line the pockets of the rich?
This is what's so confusing to me too. I don't get it.

Maybe the bill is basically pro-business, maybe the Republicans would have supported it, but the party adopted a strategy of "Just Say No" to anything that was proposed by Obama and the Democratic majority. Thoughts?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is what's so confusing to me too. I don't get it.

Maybe the bill is basically pro-business, maybe the Republicans would have supported it, but the party adopted a strategy of "Just Say No" to anything that was proposed by Obama and the Democratic majority. Thoughts?

I think that's as good of an explanation as any other I've heard, Spinks. One other explanation makes as much sense as that one to me: The Republican position was driven by Talk Radio and Fox News, rather than the Republican leadership.

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
I think that's as good of an explanation as any other I've heard, Spinks. One other explanation makes as much sense as that one to me: The Republican position was driven by Talk Radio and Fox News, rather than the Republican leadership.

Exactly. The entire reason for the proverbial "freak out" was because the Republicans needed a victory here in order to stop the rest of the legislation Obama wants to push through. It has nothing to do with the actual content of the bill...