• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would this Change your Position on Abortion?

Would you still support abortion if babys could develop ex utero?

• Yes, I would still support it

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • No, I would no longer support it

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • It depends

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

Wirey

Fartist
And that is why there is an abortion debate in the first place - it is a question of whether it is just for a woman to kill her and her partner's child just because the child resides in her body.

Interesting. Does that mean a contraceptive is also murder?

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
This is patently not true. I have already posted statistics that show the more than 50% of abortions are for birth control
I'm not convinced by your data. Of course they are done to control/prevent birth. But even if a woman chooses abortion after not using contraception, it's still her body, her choice. Why should the choices of other women restrict the right of a woman who used contraception but if failed? Or a woman or girl who was raped? This is nonsense.

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
That women should have bodily autonomy is not the only consideration. No right is absolute - other factors must also be considered. E.g. no one questions that a person who starts a company has a right to do with the company and it's property as he chooses. However there is a limit to how far that right can be taken. There are laws that regulate, for example, when a company can fire their employees. There are also laws that regulate whether a company can refuse to serve a client (the gay wedding cake sagas are an example). All that this shows is that while in a free society there are rights, no right is unfettered.
Including the rights of conservatives to enact ridiculous and oppressive laws against an entire group just because of their gender.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanda

I'm not convinced by your data. Of course they are done to control/prevent birth. But even if a woman chooses abortion after not using contraception, it's still her body, her choice. Why should the choices of other women restrict the right of a woman who used contraception but if failed? Or a woman or girl who was raped? This is nonsense.

It's not my data. You're welcome to do your own research.

Like I said, abortion as a means of birth control is disgusting.

Thanda

Including the rights of conservatives to enact ridiculous and oppressive laws against an entire group just because of their gender.

Stop playing victim. The real victims, lest we forget, are the 50 million defenseless, innocent unborn children who are killed every year - not entitled women who believe they should have the right to kill on a whim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanda

As my mother was psychologically destroyed at 18 when she was forced to have a child out of wedlock in 1956, I will always support abortion no matter the circumstances.

Why?

Mother became very physically and mentally abusive to her new husband and children because she was so angry about being forced to have a child when she'd just started college with the goal in mind of becoming a surgical nurse.

Her biggest dream was harpooned by ten minutes of pleasure.

No one should lose their dream to such a thing. The consequences are devastating.

Her inability to get a legal abortion resulted in her destroying her second family as well as her first.

Nobody won.

Her inability to control her anger issues and feelings of victimhood resulted in her destroying her second family as well as her first - there, fixed it for you.

Wherenextcolumbus

In addition, the man chose to ejactuate inside the woman. Women don't choose to release an egg, men choose to release their sperm inside a woman which can survive for up to 7 days.

RRex

Premium Member
Her inability to control her anger issues and feelings of victimhood resulted in her destroying her second family as well as her first - there, fixed it for you.
No, you didn't "fix it for me". You don't know what the hell happened in my family.

Don't be so presumptuous as to presume you know the details.

:mad::mad::mad:

I should reiterate that the salient point is that many lives were ruined because my mother was unable to get a safe, legal abortion.

Last edited:

Thanda

No, you didn't "fix it for me". You don't know what the hell happened in my family.

Don't be so presumptuous as to presume you know the details.

:mad::mad::mad:

I should reiterate that the salient point is that many lives were ruined because my mother was unable to get a safe, legal abortion.

Trust me that is not the real reason. That is the excuse, it is her excuse. All kinds of things happen in life which we wish didn't. And yet as human beings we are left with a choice of how we will react. Will we wallow in victimhood or will make the best of a non ideal situation? Happy are those who choose the latter...doomed are those who don't. Doomed to be slaves of their circumstances. Doomed to make excuses. Doomed to hurt others while justifying their actions.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Trust me that is not the real reason. That is the excuse, it is her excuse.

And what would you know about it?

How pretentious can you be to presume to understand a complete stranger's family, much less the circumstances of how that person grew up - as well as how their family members behaved & why? And further, to presume that you understand better than that person! The sheer amount of arrogance you display here is so... I can't find a word strong enough to sufficiently express my contempt. That's how bad it is.

Edit: I've changed my mind. I have found a word sufficient to describe how you just acted: hubris. The gods are said to despise hubris and, seeing this, I understand why.

Last edited:

RRex

Premium Member

How pretentious can you be to presume to understand a complete stranger's family, much less the circumstances of how that person grew up - as well as how their family members behaved & why? And further, to presume that you understand better than that person! The sheer amount of arrogance you display here is so... I can't find a word strong enough to sufficiently express my contempt. That's how bad it is.
Thank you. :glomp:

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
This is obviously not true. If the reason someone is having an abortion is because they might die trying to give birth then obviously that counts as a medical reason - I'm sure you're well aware of that.
If she had given the answer, "I didn't want to be pregnant in the first place," as the reason for wanting to get an abortion, you would now be here talking about how that's a selfish and invalid reason for getting an abortion. I'm just pointing out to you that there's more than meets the eye to some of these answers in these polls, which at first glance may look to you to be trivial reasons for obtaining abortions.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
No where in any bible does it mandate that anyone must become an insensitive ******* devoid of common sense, and I fully agree with your points. Before we get on the religious high road let's remember all the baby stealing and mother killing promoted by these supposed authorities, and then take any such superiority they think they have to the curb with the rest of these ideas. A 10 year old girl is unfit to be a mother, and having the child would be detrimental to her health even if it can happen. Forcing a rape victim to have a child is effectively pro-longing the rape for another eighteen years. Anyone that advocates that nonsense needs to step out of the room.

Any morality not based on necessity is a false morality subject to being abused or ignored at any convenient time. That is a lot of what is going on here, pro-lifers stop women from getting abortions but also block contraception that would just prevent the pregnancy anyway. (There is no fertilization there is no life, so it is not KILLING the baby...) Basically, they cause their own problem -- the abortion wouldn't be needed if the birth control was easily available or handed out for free. It's easy for someone to speak from a high horse when they don't have to deal with the damage, but it's a unicorn in this case not a horse. I think it is far more immoral to subject women to emotional damage for absolutely no reason at all.
Very well said.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

This is the point I was trying to get across. It didn't land.

Thanda

I understand enough about human nature to know that no one is a slave to an event in their life. Is it understandable that RRex's mother reacted the way he said she did - yes to a large extent it is. But did what happened to her make her become abusive? Absolutely, 100% NO! If she ever went to a professional for help the advice she would eventually get is that she needs to let go of her past and realise that she is in charge of a her future.

RRex

Premium Member
I understand enough about human nature to know that no one is a slave to an event in their life. Is it understandable that RRex's mother reacted the way he said she did - yes to a large extent it is. But did what happened to her make her become abusive? Absolutely, 100% NO! If she ever went to a professional for help the advice she would eventually get is that she needs to let go of her past and realise that she is in charge of a her future.
You don't know anything. :mad:

Thanda

If she had given the answer, "I didn't want to be pregnant in the first place," as the reason for wanting to get an abortion, you would now be here talking about how that's a selfish and invalid reason for getting an abortion. I'm just pointing out to you that there's more than meets the eye to some of these answers in these polls, which at first glance may look to you to be trivial reasons for obtaining abortions.

There's a good chance that if she feared for her life she would not have simply said "I didn't want to be pregnant in the first place". But in any case I'm quite certain that even if a few people answered somewhat incorrectly, on the whole the statistics are pretty close to accurate. And what they show is that abortion is most often used for birth control rather than for medical reasons.

Thanda

You don't know anything. :mad:

Let's end this here. I made the assumption that you brought this part of your life up because you were willing to discuss it and have it critiqued. I seem to have been wrong - sorry about that.

RRex

Premium Member
Let's end this here. I made the assumption that you brought this part of your life up because you were willing to discuss it and have it critiqued. I seem to have been wrong - sorry about that.
It's not your place to critique others.

I shared my family's story to demonstrate that the issue of unwanted pregnancy and legal abortion can negatively impact more than just the potential mother's life.

At no time did I ask you to use your pseudointellectual powers to dissect what happened to complete strangers.