• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you allow your child to marry and Atheist?

Would you let YOUR child marry an atheist? (Private Poll)

• Of course.

Votes: 52 94.5%
  • Of Course Not.

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

Sonic247

You still don't get it that Ultra is me.
She is my highest most wonderfully realized Self.
She embodies who I am becoming.
She is my personal Totem.
I AM the gOddess, as I merge with her.

My art comes from a place very deep inside mySelf,
It comes from a very personal place
shaped by years of playing, learning from, and listening to great artists,
with whom I personally connect on a deep level.
It also comes from my own life view... and what is powerful and meaningful and intreiging to me,
after 41 years as me on this planet.
On that front... the artistic front... I have no need for anonymous online "suggestions".
My personal Vision always includes Magicks,
which I don't believe you would appreciate anyway.
Which is fine.
We are all different.
I certainly do not expect everyone to appreciate what I do... or understand, or connect with it.

I will have technical questions though
about playing live with a laptop.
If you can help with those kinds of questions
I would most appreciate your input when I put up the thread.
I like art but realize that God is by far the greatest artist, so even an artist at his/her best should be humble.

richardlowellt

I like art but realize that God is by far the greatest artist, so even an artist at his/her best should be humble.
No, I'm a much greater artist as I am real, my artistry comes from the naturalistic realm and never do I have to rely on magic for my creations. There is never a reason for anyone to be humble, never to grovel at the feet of anyone or thing, it's a terrible mindset and reeks of the religious proposition that we are miserable sinners, mer sheep in a flock tended by a divine being, children of god, meek and helpless........I'm so glad I don't buy into any of that crap. On the contrary, every artist should raise their heads up and be proud of what they have created, we are all greater than the imagined demon god.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I hope that when i have kids they marry an atheist. My jokes are often made at religion's (in general) expense so if they were an evangalical christian that would make it pretty awkward.

That and i refuse to step foot in a church.

blackout

Violet.

For me humility/pride has nothing to do with it all.:shrug:

I work to BEcome the highest potential version of MySelf I can imagine.
Life is an art. Love is an art. Music is an art.

The act/art of personal becoming ...
and materializing something of Self's depths...
is what I care about.

Don't really know why you singled my post out to talk about humility.
(PS... from my perspective we are all gOds -- if we want/"realize"/embrace the label that is.)

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
No, I'm a much greater artist as I am real, my artistry comes from the naturalistic realm and never do I have to rely on magic for my creations. There is never a reason for anyone to be humble, never to grovel at the feet of anyone or thing, it's a terrible mindset and reeks of the religious proposition that we are miserable sinners, mer sheep in a flock tended by a divine being, children of god, meek and helpless........I'm so glad I don't buy into any of that crap. On the contrary, every artist should raise their heads up and be proud of what they have created, we are all greater than the imagined demon god.

No...

arrogance is one of the worst sins an artist can commit. Uwe Boll and Michale Bay all prove that. (If you can call their junk "art.") The aboslute worst sin an artist can commit is being married to his or her work, demonstrated by the character of Ed Wood in the Tim Burton film of that name.

Humility is a virtue, because it promotes peace and tolerance. It's not about grovelling or servitude: that's submission, which is rarely, if ever, truly virtuous. Humility about recognizing the truth: that we are not better or worse than anyone or anything else; everything simply is.

Besides, you can't say your a greater artist than anybody or anything, because whether or not something is considered good art is purely subjective. In my opinion, I've seen spiders who were better artists than some people trying to express their junk. (If you've ever read a bad fanfic, you know what I'm talking about.)

blackout

Violet.
I have no more like for humility than I have for arrogance.

If I am satisfied with what I have done...
I am satisfied.
If I am energized by what I have done...
I am energized.
If I am soothed by what I have done...
I am soothed.
If something I've done is particularly clever,
or came out of a transcendental state...
I say I was "in the zone".
There's nothing better than creating in the zone.
It's a wonderful experience.

Arrogance, humility, pride, subservience...
are all masks people wear, and roles people play.

The experience of creating,
and the creation itself are the actual unadulterated/unAffected things of being.

How you personally relate yourself to those things,
is a matter of self... and how the self wants to see (and present) itself.

Last edited:

richardlowellt

Yes

arrogance is one of the worst sins an artist can commit. Uwe Boll and Michale Bay all prove that. (If you can call their junk "art.") The aboslute worst sin an artist can commit is being married to his or her work, demonstrated by the character of Ed Wood in the Tim Burton film of that name.
Unless your an artist you have no idea of what you speak, you call it arrogance I call it supreme confidence.

Humility is a virtue,
Humility in a competitive environment equals failure. You missed my point on many fronts, I said I was a better artists than God since that things does not exist. My point about grovelling and servitude was directed at the religious sheep, the so called children of God.

It's not about grovelling or servitude: that's submission, which is rarely, if ever, truly virtuous
Then why do those of religion submit to such degrading submission?.

Humility about recognizing the truth: that we are not better or worse than anyone or anything else; everything simply is.
Once again as a non artist you know not of what you speak, in fact some of us are much better at what we do, thats how we stay in the business that we are in, competition is strong, being better is extremely vital to success.
Besides, you can't say your a greater artist than anybody or anything,
Well I can at least say I am better than a fictitious being.

rojse

RF Addict
I would be interested to hear from either of the two people that voted yes as to why they voted this way.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Yes

Unless your an artist you have no idea of what you speak, you call it arrogance I call it supreme confidence.

I am an artist. Potato, potahto... call it whatever you want, in the end it's the same thing, and it's detrimental.

Humility in a competitive environment equals failure. You missed my point on many fronts, I said I was a better artists than God since that things does not exist. My point about grovelling and servitude was directed at the religious sheep, the so called children of God.

You are confusing humility with submission. They are COMPLETELY different things altogether. Humility is about accepting the fact that we are all part of a whole, whatever that whole is, and that none of us are central to anything.

Then why do those of religion submit to such degrading submission?.

They're told to, otherwise they'd die. Besides, while many do, many don't. Understand this. I'm a theist, but I don't submit to gods; I accept that which I have no control over. Subtle difference, but a very important one.

Once again as a non artist you know not of what you speak, in fact some of us are much better at what we do, thats how we stay in the business that we are in, competition is strong, being better is extremely vital to success.
Well I can at least say I am better than a fictitious being.

Seems to me that you have more the attitude of a businessman than an artist. The attitudes your describing are essential to businessmen, but detrimental to artists.

And once again, I am an artist. More specifically, I am a poet and storyteller. Am I any good? That's not for me to decide, that's up to those who wish to read my material.

richardlowellt

I am an artist. Potato, potahto... call it whatever you want, in the end it's the same thing, and it's detrimental.
So says you, I disagree.

You are confusing humility with submission. They are COMPLETELY different things altogether. Humility is about accepting the fact that we are all part of a whole, whatever that whole is, and that none of us are central to anything.
Your wrong again-----HUMILITY---a low view of one's own importance, lack of pride, humbleness, SUBMISSIVENESS, nothing in that description about being part of the whole. In my profession it is vitally important to be central to everything you can.

Seems to me that you have more the attitude of a businessman than an artist. The attitudes your describing are essential to businessmen, but detrimental to artists.
You obviously do not earn your living as a artists, so you can't call yourself a professional. I earn a living at what I do, being creative for me IS a business, so once again, unless you are a professional artist, then by calling my attitude detrimental to artists, you know not of what you speak.

And once again, I am an artist. More specifically, I am a poet and storyteller. Am I any good? That's not for me to decide, that's up to those who wish to read my material.
Then you are what we call in the business "a weekend warrior" meaning you do this for fun, or for the sake of the art, and you can throw around those lofty ideas about, being a part of the whole, and no one being central to anything, and business and art don't mix well, and business attitude are detrimental to the art. I on the other hand am in a highly competitive business, it's vitally important for me to maintain whatever edge I can, as I said being humble means failure, being the best or among the best at what I do, and making it known spells success or at least a margin of success.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
So says you, I disagree.

You yourself used a phrase that implies you agree that it's arrogance, except you use a different term for it, such as a corrupt businessman who thinks of bribes as good business.

Your wrong again-----HUMILITY---a low view of one's own importance, lack of pride, humbleness, SUBMISSIVENESS, nothing in that description about being part of the whole. In my profession it is vitally important to be central to everything you can.

And where have you gotten this definition, and who was doing the defining? Humility does not encompass ANY of these, except maybe a lack of pride, which I see as no bad thing. (Pride and confidence are two different things. Synonyms, yes, but not completely equal in definition.)

You obviously do not earn your living as a artists, so you can't call yourself a professional. I earn a living at what I do, being creative for me IS a business, so once again, unless you are a professional artist, then by calling my attitude detrimental to artists, you know not of what you speak.

What does being "professional" have anything to do with anything? An artist who earns money from his or her work is not any different than an artist who does not.

There's nothing wrong with taking a business attitude towards ADVERTISING your own work; in fact, a business attitude is essential. However, in the actual construct of a piece, it's not good to have. Maybe I needed to be more specific.

Then you are what we call in the business "a weekend warrior" meaning you do this for fun, or for the sake of the art, and you can throw around those lofty ideas about, being a part of the whole, and no one being central to anything, and business and art don't mix well, and business attitude are detrimental to the art.

:confused: Lofty? These aren't lofty at all. I don't throw them around. I honestly believe them, and have been given no reason whatsoever not to. I don't throw around concepts I don't understand.

And "weekend warrior"... that's a term I'm not familiar with. Where does it come from?

I on the other hand am in a highly competitive business, it's vitally important for me to maintain whatever edge I can, as I said being humble means failure, being the best or among the best at what I do, and making it known spells success or at least a margin of success.

Like I said, in the ADVERTISING your work successfully, a confident attitude is required if you want to get an edge. I think we both understand this already. In such a case, you need to let your producers, as well as the people, know why they should buy your record and not someone elses'. Taking a humble attitude in such advertising is not only a detriment, it's also insulting and awkward to the ones your advertising to. (One time, a person once advertised his Youtube page to me, and stated, rather humbly, that I would probably not even look at it or regard the ad. Guilt-tripping at it's finest, and it's insulting.)

But advertising the art is independent of the piece itself. In the actual construction of a piece, it's important to maintain a humble attitude, otherwise you risk getting married to your work.

Personally, I don't see how humility and confidence are incompatible.

By the way, I do eventually intend to make money off of books, and hopefully even film. I already have ideas, but I don't have the knowledge or the skills to implement them.