• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you marry outside of your faith?

Saw11_2000

I would easily marry outside of my faith. I wouldn't try to raise my children in any particular fashion, I would most likely give them facts and let them infer about the rest. If they conclude that there is a God, then that's fine.

My wife, doens't matter if she's a Christian, Muslim, Jew, etc., not important to me, religion is such a small, insignificant thing to impact emotions, I look for other important qualities, personality, caring, among others.

pandamonk

robtex said:
It is funny reading the Christian responses. I am playing the dating game as a single guy and about 40 % of the christian women I have a date with or meet for possible dating say they will not date an atheist. I have learned to be up front with that for that very reason. I find the lack of flexablity very interesting on their part.

I don't mind what their belief system is at all as long as the belief system is humanistically applied. What I mean is that belief systems as practiced that condem other belief systems, condem homosexuality, nationality, gender don't work well with me. I just found that I need to date women who are flexible in their tolerance. I say date instead of marry because I don't believe in meeting a woman with prospects of marrying her unless we have dated for some time.

I think the pattern of "looking for a husband or wife" has had a large impact on our divorce rate and skipping the dating and courting aspect is a unwise thing to do. If I can't date someone for whatever reason or vice versa marrying is really out of the question.
That's what i was thinking. Most religious, and non-religious, people who have posted have said they would marry someone of a different religion or faith, with exception being christians. That is the same as a programme i watched a week or two ago. There were teachers, and principles, of religious schools, at one point of the programme, and they were all asked "would you allow children of other religious beliefs to attend your school". They all said that they would, without a doubt. But when it came to the question, "would you send your children to a school of a different religion", NONE of the Christians asked would, but the people of the other religions, eg. Muslim(i think one was), said that they would definitely consider sending their children to school of a differing religion, and one said that he actually attended a catholic school as a child.

Ok now to the question about marrying someone of a different faith. I have to say that I'm a little young to be thinking of marriage, but i would certainly marry someone of a different belief system than me. My girlfriend, at the moment, is Christian. We've been together almost 3 years now, and i'll admit the differing beliefs do cause tremendous pressures on the relationship, eg abstinence. But also with her trying to convert me. I think that's, basically, what made me find out as much info on the subject as i can, and have debates in this website, etc. She has now left me alone to follow my own beliefs, but is still enforcing her beliefs on me, eg. abstinence(including heavy petting). It is all extremely difficult, especially when i went through my "cancer period". But we are still together, and love each other very much. I'm hoping to marry her, but my advice would be NOT to get into this situation, lol. :D

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Saw11_2000 said:
My wife, doens't matter if she's a Christian, Muslim, Jew, etc., not important to me, religion is such a small, insignificant thing to impact emotions, I look for other important qualities, personality, caring, among others.

Wow, I'd have to say that a majority of women in the world wouldn't share that opinion. Most people (at least in my experience) find their worldview and religious beliefs to be up there with the most important things in their lives. I want to marry a woman that shares my values and my values are tied to my religion. I want to marry a woman that won't mind me raising my children with those values and if she ascribes to an Abrahamic tradition, chances are she will not like my values. So how does that work?

I think religion and philosophy are just as significant an aspect of an individual as personality and character.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Darkdale said:
Wow, I'd have to say that a majority of women in the world wouldn't share that opinion. Most people (at least in my experience) find their worldview and religious beliefs to be up there with the most important things in their lives. I want to marry a woman that shares my values and my values are tied to my religion. I want to marry a woman that won't mind me raising my children with those values and if she ascribes to an Abrahamic tradition, chances are she will not like my values. So how does that work?

I think religion and philosophy are just as significant an aspect of an individual as personality and character.
Yet again a demonstration of the differences between we western Europeans, and you Americans. My wife was brought up in the Catholic faith; when we were planning on marrying, she went to see the local Catholic priest, to ask if he would marry us.

When he implied that he would only do so if I agreed to become a Catholic, and that we would bring our children up in that faith, my wife felt that Catholicism wasn't for her. We married in the Church of England; no one ever made a comment...........

We seem to have very different religious 'needs' to you Americans.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
michel said:
We seem to have very different religious 'needs' to you Americans.

Yikes, don't treat me like I'm typical of the American Crowd lol you might make some people very angry! lol :cool:

What is the role of religion in Europe? hmm new thread.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Darkdale said:
I'm with you for the most part, but wouldn't you want your partner to share the same "worldview" as you? I mean, that does into the whole not thinking "my way is the only right way", but especially when it comes to raising children, don't you want to be on the same page with your mate?
A very good point. Naturally, I would prefer to have a partner that shared my worldview, but if True Wuv decides to make me smitten with someone who doesn't, hopefully our viewpoints wouldn't conflict too much.

Saw11_2000

Darkdale said:

I've met Christians that every other word that comes out of their mouth is God, and some that barely pray/follow whatever. I want a person that thinks that people is much more important than religion.

michel said:
Yet again a demonstration of the differences between we western Europeans, and you Americans.
Besides evangelical Christians, I don't think this difference applies to most Americans michel. I have lots of friends whose parents are mixed Jew/Christian, Catholic/Protestant, and many who are mixed between different sects of Protestantism. My Dad was Methodist before he met my Mom, whose family was Presbyterian. Remember this isn't exactly a representative poll of the American population....it's a religious forum. ;)

I think values are much more important than metaphysical beliefs--values like family, honesty, tolerance, having a sense of humor, etc. I have friends who have all kinds of different religious beliefs, but they're my friends because we have similar values. So why should it be any different with one's spouse--one's best friend?

*edit: actually, I should probably qualify that statement about "all kinds of different religious beliefs". Really, I have friends who have various Christian beliefs and who are secular to various degrees, I have some Jewish friends, a couple of atheist/agnostic friends, and I even have a friend who believes in New Age stuff.

Merlin

Christiangirl0909 said:
I might consider marrying outside of my Christian denomination, but never outside of my faith.
A kindred spirit at last. I have found somebody else that believes Christians are Christians, and this myriad of denominations are not important.

Of course, bearing in mind many people spend their lives trying to switch people from one Christian denomination to another, I do not expect to be in the majority with this view

Merlin

As the starter of this thread I can summarise; it would appear that the overwhelming majority would not marry outside of their own faith. For most people this means denomination as well as religion.

What about a supplementary question;

Most of you are quite good evangelists, and so one would assume that you have made a few converts. Supposing, while you were at your work, somebody was calling on your wife with their particular denominational message. After a few weeks or months, she announces that she is no longer one of your denomination, but she is now a different one, and she is going to bring the children up in her new faith.

E.g. a Roman Catholic has converted to Mormon, or Mormon converted to Jehovah's Witness, Jehovah's Witness converted to Catholic, etc

Would you divorce her if her decision was final?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Merlin said:
Most of you are quite good evangelists, and so one would assume that you have made a few converts. Supposing, while you were at your work, somebody was calling on your wife with their particular denominational message. After a few weeks or months, she announces that she is no longer one of your denomination, but she is now a different one, and she is going to bring the children up in her new faith.

E.g. a Roman Catholic has converted to Mormon, or Mormon converted to Jehovah's Witness, Jehovah's Witness converted to Catholic, etc

I would simply raise my kids the way I wanted to raise them, she could have whatever faith she wanted I guess.

Merlin

Darkdale said:
I would simply raise my kids the way I wanted to raise them, she could have whatever faith she wanted I guess.
Assuming she would allow that. What if she would not?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Merlin said:
Assuming she would allow that. What if she would not?

Assuming she would "allow" that? As hard as I try I cannot imagine anyone have the willpower to stop me lol. If it became an issue, I suppose the children would have to be raised in both traditions. I wouldn't like it, but I couldn't divorce her. Keeping the family together would be more of a priority. Divorce is usually wrong, imo.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Darkdale said:
Assuming she would "allow" that? As hard as I try I cannot imagine anyone have the willpower to stop me lol. If it became an issue, I suppose the children would have to be raised in both traditions. I wouldn't like it, but I couldn't divorce her. Keeping the family together would be more of a priority. Divorce is usually wrong, imo.
LOL I had visions of you threatening your wife with a gigantic sword.........:biglaugh: . I agree with you; it would nbe nice to be able to have one's way, but "Keeping the family together would be more of a priority" - I do not like the idea of divorce either.:help:

jonny

Merlin said:
As the starter of this thread I can summarise; it would appear that the overwhelming majority would not marry outside of their own faith. For most people this means denomination as well as religion.

What about a supplementary question;

I wouldn't divorce her, but I would be devastated. It would be a rejection of the marriage covenant that we made.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
The Truth said:
Do you consider the other sects in christianity as unbelievers according to your faith?
Sorry for the delayed response. Good question. The answer to your question is No, I don't consider other denominations within my faith to be unbelievers. And my belief is that this is between them and God. I can't and wont judge if someone is a believer or unbeliever. Hope this helps you know where I'm coming from.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Todd said:
Sorry for the delayed response. Good question. The answer to your question is No, I don't consider other denominations within my faith to be unbelievers. And my belief is that this is between them and God. I can't and wont judge if someone is a believer or unbeliever. Hope this helps you know where I'm coming from.
Yessssssss, thanks alot.