• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you marry outside of your faith?

Merlin

StewpidLoser said:
Back when I did marry, it was outside of my faith - he was a christian, I was an atheist. He started out inviting me to his church a few times. I of course declined. By the time we married, he no longer went to church any more. We didn't discuss religion much.... it didn't matter to me and to him I think he just didn't want to have any conflict? I dunno.... though our communication wasn't that great, at least we didn't argue much.

A few years after the divorce, he wanted to marry a caholic girl, so had to have the original marriage "annulled". I was still non-religious at the time, but cooperated in the process. I even talked to a local catholic priest and found out what was required to have the annullment granted ... his local diocese in CA had no problem calling his original marriage of 5 years "invalid" because from the beginning I expressed and stood by the desire and intent to have no children.

IMO, since the marriage didn't work out, I'm really glad we had no kids... to the kids who are often stuck in the middle, divorce truly sucks :(

Since I'm an unattractive, strong (aka "tomboy"), independent, opinionated, strong-willed and generally otherwise hard to get along with, not to mention intimidating to men who want an attractive, submissive, needs-to-be-taken-care-of-by-her-man woman, it's highly unlikely that I'll ever date again, much less marry. So I guess my answer would have to be... no, I won't marry inside OR outside of my faith :eek:
What a sad story. Not just for the breakup of the marriage, but the very poor behaviour of the Catholic Church.

If they have rules about divorced people, then they make themselves look foolish if they bend them in order to attract another convert. Your marriage was clearly a valid marriage. At any time you could change your mind about having children. So this annulment was actually just a means to an end.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
StewpidLoser said:
Back when I did marry, it was outside of my faith - he was a christian, I was an atheist. He started out inviting me to his church a few times. I of course declined. By the time we married, he no longer went to church any more. We didn't discuss religion much.... it didn't matter to me and to him I think he just didn't want to have any conflict? I dunno.... though our communication wasn't that great, at least we didn't argue much.

A few years after the divorce, he wanted to marry a caholic girl, so had to have the original marriage "annulled". I was still non-religious at the time, but cooperated in the process. I even talked to a local catholic priest and found out what was required to have the annullment granted ... his local diocese in CA had no problem calling his original marriage of 5 years "invalid" because from the beginning I expressed and stood by the desire and intent to have no children.

IMO, since the marriage didn't work out, I'm really glad we had no kids... to the kids who are often stuck in the middle, divorce truly sucks :(

Since I'm an unattractive, strong (aka "tomboy"), independent, opinionated, strong-willed and generally otherwise hard to get along with, not to mention intimidating to men who want an attractive, submissive, needs-to-be-taken-care-of-by-her-man woman, it's highly unlikely that I'll ever date again, much less marry. So I guess my answer would have to be... no, I won't marry inside OR outside of my faith :eek:
I too was saddened when I read your story.

The first thing I noted was a sense of 'Double standards' on your ex-husband's part as a Christian . the fact that he was so quick to receive the catholic faith's O.K in having his marriage to you not recogniized because of your not wishing to have Children. In my view, that is 'making the story fit around the ending' - hardly Christian...............

I am sorry too that you feel you will never re-marry; and my advice to you is 'Don't ever rule it out' - you seem to claim wyour looks as a 'turn off' - not all of us 'fo for' looks; personality is above looks, IMO.;)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
StewpidLoser said:
So I guess my answer would have to be... no, I won't marry inside OR outside of my faith :eek:
Never say never! This is the first time I knew you were a female, Stew! Now I know I'm talking to a "fellow gal."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
StewpidLoser said:
So I gotta ask... is it "enough" to be a Christian for you to marry her, or does "outside of your faith" mean non-mormon?
To a Latter-day Saint, "outside of our faith" means non-Mormon. It is the goal of every devout Mormon to marry in the temple, since we believe such marriages are "for time and for all eternity." Since only Latter-day Saints can participate in temple ceremonies, a Latter-day Saint would look for someone who shared that same goal.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
Awww true wuv :eek: .

I would be happy to marry outside of my religion, but like darkdale would find it hard to marry anyone of an Abrahamic religion. After being raised as a Christian, I understand why Christian/Muslim/Jewish people are very unbending about the rules of their religion. It is taught they will be tempted and that they should not stray to achieve salvation, and they are taught to marry within their religion by elders and their families alike. (how many times have I heard, "thats' a nice Christian Girl Christopher, you should go talk to her").

Fundamentally what it comes down to is that, within a religious context, Christians/Muslims/Jews always feel they are one hundred percent right due to the infallibility of the bible. I don't believe the bible is infallible and so therefore it's like :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3 .... repeatedly.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
michel said:
I am sorry too that you feel you will never re-marry; and my advice to you is 'Don't ever rule it out' - you seem to claim wyour looks as a 'turn off' - not all of us 'fo for' looks; personality is above looks, IMO.;)
Hear Hear!! :clap

If a woman looks like she spends more time on her makeup and hair in the morning than I spend in the shower, it's highly unlikely I'll go out with her.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
SnaleSpace said:
Hear Hear!! :clap

If a woman looks like she spends more time on her makeup and hair in the morning than I spend in the shower, it's highly unlikely I'll go out with her.
You must either spend a lot of time in the shower or not date much. :D I don't think I spend an excessive amount of time on my hair and makeup (I can get up, shower, dry and style my hair, put on my makeup and get dressed in about 45 minutes). But I can't even imagine doing it all in the amount of time you spend in the shower! I guess you wouldn't be interested in taking me out then, would you? :D (Oh well, I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother anyway!)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
You must either spend a lot of time in the shower or not date much. :D
Bit of both actually :p . Its hard to find a truly (not just lip service) religious woman in a country as secular as this.
I don't think I spend an excessive amount of time on my hair and makeup (I can get up, shower, dry and style my hair, put on my makeup and get dressed in about 45 minutes). But I can't even imagine doing it all in the amount of time you spend in the shower! I guess you wouldn't be interested in taking me out then, would you? :D (Oh well, I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother anyway!)
I do shower for about 20 mins, but I make exceptions based on how cute you are so there's hope yet ;)

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
michel said:
... you seem to claim wyour looks as a 'turn off' - not all of us 'fo for' looks; personality is above looks, IMO.;)
I was once told that looks are only 10% of attraction.... trouble is they're the first 10%!
This has been proved to me many times.

Not only do I not use makeup (I did try it for awhile when trying to salvage my marriage... obviously it didn't work :eek:), I prefer jeans and tee shirts over more "fassionable" clothes.

If personality is above looks, I'm doubly hosed.... I have learned by experience that although *some* guys think they are attracted to an active, independent, self-sufficient woman, they eventually figure out that she's just not worth the effort. Turns out they would rather have a more attractive, submissive, lets-the-guy-take-care-of-her partner than an opinionated, strong-willed "tomboy" who's not afraid to do stuff herself or at least share the load rather than ask him to do stuff.

That's just the way it is. I'm trying to learn to be at peace with these cards I've been dealt. Telling me to not say never doesn't help. Aloneness sucks, but it is survivable.

Even the rare people over the years who I have trusted enough to become close friends always eventually figure out I'm not worth the effort. And no, it's not just a matter of "drifting apart." Each betrayal makes it less likely that I'll ever allow someone close enough to for a true friendship, much less a romantic relationship.

karmel19

I married outside of my Faith--actually I became a Baha'i in 1965, and married in 1966, and it was outside of my Faith, my race, and my nationality. Baha'is, because of great emphasis on family unity, are required to obtain their parents consent to marry, as long as they have parents living, and my parents consented. My mother had already become a Baha'i at the age of 54. Oddly enough, my (now-ex-) husband, who is a Kenyan, was raised in the same Christian denomination as my maternal grandparents--Presbyterian--but due to his negative experiences with missionaries when he was growing up in Kenya, he stubbornly vowed he would never join anything and is still holding to it. Nevertheless, he was quite supportive of our four children, all of whom are Baha'is, and cheerfully paid for their many trips associated with Baha'i service. I would have happily gone to a Christian church with him, had he been willing to go, as Baha'is are instructed to "Consort with the followers of all religions with joy and fragrance." (Baha'is, of course, do not believe our religion is the only true one.) We were married for nearly 30 years, and I don't believe our eventual divorce had much to do with either race or religion, just personal differences. To be honest, I did feel unhappy that we were not able to share any spiritual practice and I always had to go to things alone, but the actual fact was that he was extremely involved with business and worked 7 days a week, and we didn't share much of anything by the time I gave up on it. Not long ago my daughter asked him why he never became a Baha'i, and he said he guessed he was lazy. I think that was an honest answer; once he got home from work, he always preferred to sit in front of the TV until after the 11 o'clock news! He liked the Baha'i teachings but didn't want to have to bother to investigate deeply or think about it too much. But I should tell you the story of my daughter; when she was 18 or so, she started dating an African American young man who was not much interested in any religion at the time, but after a lot of discussions on the subject with her, he became involved with the Nation of Islam (Black Moslems), and started standing around on streetcorners handing out literature and telling people that whites are devils. She broke up with him over that; she said she was not going to have her children taught that their grandmother (me) was a devil! Then she began dating a young man from a Christian background who also was not interested in religion, but after a couple of years he became involved with an evangelical Christian denomination and started calling and leaving messages on her answering machine saying she had the responsibility to save her whole family from going to hell. So she broke up with him. She is now married to a Baha'i, but that is also a test for her, as she loves the Baha'i Faith very much, and he has decided he isn't really very interested and won't go to anything with her. This has been quite a test for her, and they are still working it out. My thoughts would be that if your religion is very important to you, AND unless you can really, sincerely say that you can accept the other person's religion (or lack of) without feeling you have to change him/her, it is better to marry someone of your own Faith. If you can accept that there are many paths to God, and that the other person's may be right for him/her, then it may not be a problem, but I would suggest you discuss the matter at some length and come to an agreement before marriage. The problem is, it's like the question of having children, many people when dating don't say what they really mean, thinking the other person will "come around," and then it becomes an issue later. If your desire for your marriage is that you will be able to pray, study, and serve together, then it's better to have that understood from the beginning, or it won't happen!

M

Majikthise

I did, my wife (now)was into Wicca at the time (now Neo-Pagan) and I was between agnosticism and atheism. It worked because we both respected each others beliefs. My first wife was Baptist and at the time I was agnostic, this did not work. She always berated me for not going to church at least 3 times a week (as she was sleeping with one of my coworkers). My second wife was Protestant and only got on my case once for not dressing up for church (we were mutually unfaithful and parted as friends).

I would have to agree that some combinations might stress a relationship.

Merlin

Katzpur said:
To a Latter-day Saint, "outside of our faith" means non-Mormon. It is the goal of every devout Mormon to marry in the temple, since we believe such marriages are "for time and for all eternity." Since only Latter-day Saints can participate in temple ceremonies, a Latter-day Saint would look for someone who shared that same goal.
I find that many Roman Catholic priests are unhappy for you to share the communion wine and wafers at their Mass if you tell them you are not Roman Catholic. I never understood this, because Christians are Christians. It is belief in a sort of religious 'Master race'.

It is a great comfort to realise there are several religions who think like this. Some will not even allow you to join, you have to be born into it.

It is interesting world isn't it.

Merlin

Katzpur said:
You must either spend a lot of time in the shower or not date much. :D I don't think I spend an excessive amount of time on my hair and makeup (I can get up, shower, dry and style my hair, put on my makeup and get dressed in about 45 minutes). But I can't even imagine doing it all in the amount of time you spend in the shower! I guess you wouldn't be interested in taking me out then, would you? :D (Oh well, I'm probably old enough to be your grandmother anyway!)
Does anybody know why it is only women who are allowed to paint their faces. In most societies, it would be unacceptable for men to do so.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Merlin said:
Does anybody know why it is only women who are allowed to paint their faces. In most societies, it would be unacceptable for men to do so.

Because women aren't "visual". Women aren't really that concerned with how pretty we are. Men are visual. We want a good looking woman, a good looking car and so forth. Women want a man with a good job, a good character and good relationship with his family. Women want a man to look good, but not pretty. Women want a man who looks strong. That's why men don't paint their faces.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Darkdale said:
Because women aren't "visual". Women aren't really that concerned with how pretty we are. Men are visual. We want a good looking woman, a good looking car and so forth. Women want a man with a good job, a good character and good relationship with his family. Women want a man to look good, but not pretty. Women want a man who looks strong. That's why men don't paint their faces.
We seem to be getting 'of topic here' but there are many races where the man paints his face, to attract a woman.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
michel said:
We seem to be getting 'of topic here' but there are many races where the man paints his face, to attract a woman.
At the risk of taking this completely off topic :

If women don't like a "pretty" man, why are male models and other famous people (Joacquin Phoenix, Brad Pitt, Jude Law plus every soap star and 'drama actor' from shows like the OC) extremely girlish? There are a lot of younger women into Manga and Anime now, and the Japanese depiction of the "hero" type man, is about as feminine as it gets.

True the Asian feminine thing could stem from something a little Daoist in Origin ("Know the Male, but keep to the female.")

Dinogrrl

peeb!
Responding to the original topic... :}

I don't think I could marry outside of my faith. It's something that's very important to me, and if I can't share it with a partner, I'd rather not be with him.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I don't think my wife would like it if I married either in or outside my faith..........:p

Merlin

Dinogrrl said:
Responding to the original topic... :}

I don't think I could marry outside of my faith. It's something that's very important to me, and if I can't share it with a partner, I'd rather not be with him.
But if you married within your faith, and then he converted to another religion, would you divorce him?

Do you consider your faith just Christian, or does it have to be a specific denomination within Christianity?