• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

would you marry someone of a different faith as yours?

Nymphs

I've always accepted the definition of an atheist as "someone who can't accept that the universe could hold anything superior to themself". If a woman believed that, how could she accept me? :D

I'm an atheist and my definition is "the unbelief in gods and the supernatural"

Nymphs

A big generalization if I ever heard one. People are not the same at all.

Generally, people are good. We all have deep morals (don't kill, don't harm) and most people have those morals. People's personalities may be different, but deep down we are all very similar.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Generally, people are good. We all have deep morals (don't kill, don't harm) and most people have those morals. People's personalities may be different, but deep down we are all very similar.
I really wish I was as optimistic as you; I live in a crime-infested hellhole, and those morals you mention don't seem to be shared with many here. :/

Nymphs

I really wish I was as optimistic as you; I live in a crime-infested hellhole, and those morals you mention don't seem to be shared with many here. :/

You'd be surprised. We all get confused, and hell, I'm not the greatest person. In fact, I make bad decisions everyday, but underneath, I know what's right, we all really do.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You'd be surprised. We all get confused, and hell, I'm not the greatest person. In fact, I make bad decisions everyday, but underneath, I know what's right, we all really do.
I don't think some people know, or even care. :/ I know I'm a douche, at least, but I have a heart of gold despite that. :)

Just last week, a stranger tried to call my 7-year-old daughter into his car, though. Bad stuff happens a lot, here, so I'm pretty cynical of most people. Old, cynical man, I am.

Norrin-6-

If the connection is great then I don't really see the problem. Of course, I don't view marriage as the traditional "death do us part" type of deal: couples grow apart, naturally, and although things like counseling can be a plus, we really shouldn't feel held to the relationship if things aren't as they once were. I don't look at divorce as being the result of a "failed marriage," there is no reason to admit failure when the marriage may have been great while it lasted. But those who have long successful marriages, good pickings.

Never been married, btw. So I'm not just saving face over a "failed marriage."

Last edited:

Nymphs

Uh...yeah? And many people aren't going to want to do that.

The question wasn't do you want to get a civil marriage, but it was would you marry someone of a different faith as yours. I know plenty of interfaith marriages, in fact, mine was for awhile.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
The question wasn't do you want to get a civil marriage, but it was would you marry someone of a different faith as yours. I know plenty of interfaith marriages, in fact, mine was for awhile.

And my answer is, only some people. I have strong opinions that in some subjects, I'm not going to compromise on.

Nymphs

I don't think some people know, or even care. :/ I know I'm a douche, at least, but I have a heart of gold despite that. :)

Just last week, a stranger tried to call my 7-year-old daughter into his car, though. Bad stuff happens a lot, here, so I'm pretty cynical of most people. Old, cynical man, I am.

Can I beat that stranger? I don't do well with child danger of any kind. I'm sorry to hear that happened.

Nymphs

And my answer is, only some people. I have strong opinions that in some subjects, I'm not going to compromise on.

I never said all people, but it is rising as many people don't see the need to have the same faith in order to have a loving, committed and lasting relationship and marriage. Stats here:

Before the 1960s, about 20 percent of married couples were in interfaith unions; of couples married in this century’s first decade, 45 percent were.

My survey found that 48 percent of people who married before age 25 were in interfaith unions — compared with 58 percent of people who wed between ages 26 and 35, and 67 percent of people who married between ages 36 and 45. (These couples married in various decades, and some were not in their first marriage.)

Link

According to the General Social Survey, 15 percent of U.S. households were mixed-faith in 1988. That number rose to 25 percent by 2006, and the increase shows no signs of slowing.

Link here

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Can I beat that stranger? I don't do well with child danger of any kind. I'm sorry to hear that happened.
Absolutely. :D

The guy had guts (was just incredibly stupid, or both), too, as he did it even though her mother was not far away from her (she was outside, as well). Thankfully, I've raised my kids not to trust strangers and some some basic self defense techniques (bullying in the schools is a real problem), so she just moved away while shouting her mother. Still, it was very unnerving. :cover:

ZooGirl02

I could quite possibly marry a non-Catholic Christian but that is unlikely for me. He would definitely have to respect the fact that I would raise the children Catholic. We would also have to have similar political and moral views. As for people who are not Christian at all, it is very unlikely that I could ever marry someone who is not a Christian. I hope to marry someone someday and I would strongly prefer the person to be a devout and orthodox Catholic like myself.

Agha

I don't see why not.

There are really two main arguments against interfaith marriages and both, in my opinion, are invalid in my lifestyle, at least.

The first is that how can you marry somebody that you think will go to hell. Well, simple. I don't think people go to an eternal fiery damnation simply for believing different than me. Even if hell does exist, I don't think that the God that created it would be so petty as to send a good person there merely for not believing in him or for believing in a different religion than the one he approves. :shrug: The second argument is "how will you raise your children in a multifaith house?" That is also simple. "Mommy believes this. Daddy believes this. You can join in with both of us and when you're old enough, you can decide what you do or don't believe."

It's not really a big deal to me. :shrug:

chlotilde

Madame Curie
maybe they have a different faith as yours, or none at all.

I am married to an obliging atheist.
I have tried to instill in him a fear of God for almost 25 years. ;)
me: You know, there is no love in hell.
him: So?
me: well....that means there is no sex in hell.
him: then I better get it while I can.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
maybe they have a different faith as yours, or none at all. would you do it if this was the only thing that you had a difference in? but had an excellent connection besides that?

and why? or why not? if you don't mind answering that part too.
even if you ad a joke to it as well.
thanks.

My wife doesn't share my religion, but we didn't start out that way; we were both Christians when we married, and have done a lot of changing in the years since.

If I ever find myself in the situation of having to find another wife, I don't think I could look outside of my religion. My wife is amazing and has been completely supportive of my conversion to Judaism; we keep a Jewish home and raise our children as such. But the struggles we've faced during this change has really brought home the difficulties of interfaith marriage and I can understand why our law and our rabbis speak out so strongly against it.

I've truly been blessed to have such a supportive and understanding wife, but, if I were to find myself single once again I'd only be able to marry another Jew. There are just too many differences between Judaism and other religions to make an effective and supportive home for a Jewish family.

So, again, not to be rude, trying to understand...are people who convert ever truly Jewish, since they don't have the heritage piece of that puzzle? Or do they 'assume' a Jewish heritage and have to give up their own?

Just to add to what has already been said: We (converts to Judaism) are fully Jewish and we "assume" our adopted culture. Being Jewish is much more that just following a religion; it guides everything we do and how we see the world. In following Jewish law, we act in a manner that automatically begins to separate us from our native culture and identifies us as Jews.

ZooGirl02

I'm curious. Why is that your decision and not his (if he was a non-Catholic)?

Why?

As a Catholic, I am obligated to raise my children Catholic and I would want to raise them Catholic anyway. I will not marry a man who will not let me raise my children as Catholic.

We would have to have similar moral and political views because if we did not, we would likely be arguing all the time and I hate arguments.