• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeah, Catholic again...

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Seriously, I know you want to make them all in the same but is this really the place?
If the people questioning MV really thought they're all the same, they wouldn't be questioning him. After all, Catholicism would be as good as anything else, right? ;)

Look, I know your happy he converted but I can't even ask a question? Maybe it is a good thing you stepped down from your Modhood.
Whoah, uncalled for. Victor is a member too, and you're in the Catholic DIR questioning why someone would choose Catholicism over something else.

ayani

I'm meeting with the priest tomorrow morning after mass. I should have a lot to say tomorrow afternoon! :D

great! i hope this goes well for you, insha'Allah. please tell us about it!

by the way, Catholic churches are beautiful. the one in my city is lovely, like a museum.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
What would he say to a person who had a similar experience in another religion? I already realize he is one.
Isn't what this is for - discussion?
I doubt you are truly interested.
Look, I know your happy he converted but I can't even ask a question? Maybe it is a good thing you stepped down from your Modhood.
Maybe...I suppose you like taking cheap shots when your intentions are suspect.
Make them all the same? What? He's not the first person in the world to have a profound life changing mystical experience.
Of course not. But I find it disrespectful for you to come into the DIR and de-value his experience because you have a chip on your shoulder against the Catholic Church.

Quiddity

If the people questioning MV really thought they're all the same, they wouldn't be questioning him. After all, Catholicism would be as good as anything else, right? ;)
It wasn't directed at everybody Lil. See my post above.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
It wasn't directed at everybody Lil. See my post above.
I know it wasn't directed at everyone. What I was saying is that if Pariah and others truly believed that all religions are the same, they would not be questioning MV's return to Catholicism. They would be happy for him that he has found God/peace/etc. The fact that they're questioning MV suggests that they have some antipathy for Catholicism.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
*** MOD ADVISORY ***
Reminding all who participate here in the best interests
of our fellow Catholics. This is a DIR forum, so please..... let's act accordingly.

Attacking or baiting any religion, group, or person in the DIR forums is strictly prohibited. These forums are for fellowship, discussion, and educational purposes only. If you are not an adherent to that faith, you may ask honest questions to members of that faith in the DIR. Please refrain from asking rhetorical questions in the DIR forums intended to initiate an argument or impliedly refute some idea, principle or belief of the faith at issue.

Peace,
Mystic​

Master Vigil

I want to let you all know that I am keeping a journal of all the things that happen, so I will probably make it a blog too. :D

Quiddity

I know it wasn't directed at everyone. What I was saying is that if Pariah and others truly believed that all religions are the same, they would not be questioning MV's return to Catholicism. They would be happy for him that he has found God/peace/etc. The fact that they're questioning MV suggests that they have some antipathy for Catholicism.
And I find antipathy disrespectful in the DIR. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that quite a few questioned his conversion now. It may be quite telling.

Master Vigil

So I met with the priest this morning after mass, and I'm quite pleased (and scared simultaneous :D) about how it went. He didn't think I was crazy, he didn't think I needed to see a psychiatrist (which is a first for how many times I've told this to priests), and above all he didn't bring any negativity to my situation with living with my fiancee. He did however positively reinforce my experiences meaning, and importance. He allowed me to see a Carmelite perspective on things, and bring me up to speed on the latest "mystics" out there now. One of whom in Italy can SMELL SPIRITS!!! JUST LIKE ME!!! YAY!!!! And he gave me some great advice in dealing with my suffering in consumerism. I am pretty sure he believes I'm being called to the priesthood, and we talked alot about it. He made alot of very good points, in dealing with my fear of being a priest, and with leaving all I know behind, and hurting those that are left.

But for now I am just going to try to teach my students discipline, respect, and confidence in Tang Soo Do the best that I can, and enjoy the company of my little children students. And MUCH prayer! :D

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
is the priest a Carmelite. I have always found them to be very understanding and with a wide perspective on things. I have always had a soft spot for one of their English Saints... St.Simon Stock... He sort of follows you around for support... And I am not even a Catholic.

Master Vigil

is the priest a Carmelite. I have always found them to be very understanding and with a wide perspective on things. I have always had a soft spot for one of their English Saints... St.Simon Stock... He sort of follows you around for support... And I am not even a Catholic.
Yes he is a Carmelite. I have a very pleasant feeling about him, I'm not afraid to tell him anything as I was with the Capuchins, and Benedicitines I dealt with before

Buttercup

Veteran Member
So I met with the priest this morning after mass, and I'm quite pleased (and scared simultaneous :D) about how it went. He didn't think I was crazy, He did however positively reinforce my experiences meaning, and importance.
Would you elaborate of what he said about your experience? I'm sure he realizes how rare this is. Has he had a similar view of the spiritual world during Eucharist?
I am pretty sure he believes I'm being called to the priesthood, and we talked alot about it. He made alot of very good points, in dealing with my fear of being a priest, and with leaving all I know behind, and hurting those that are left.
This is a point I'm curious about but I'm not sure it's acceptable to ask questions about your thoughts here. So, I'll simply ask, why does this wonderful spiritual vision have to imply you are being called to the priesthood? Why can't it be an affirmation and a calling back to Christ? Couldn't the experience have happened so that you might share this good news of God with others? Why become a priest because of it?
But for now I am just going to try to teach my students discipline, respect, and confidence in Tang Soo Do the best that I can, and enjoy the company of my little children students. And MUCH prayer! :D
Wonderful. :) I'm very happy for you and the enormously special days you are having in your life right now. Treasure them. :hug: I'm sure you are.

lunamoth

Will to love
Hello MV,

So glad you've found encouragement and support from the priest you contacted. I was wondering if you've ever read the little book called The Cloud of Unknowing. It was written by an anonymous English monk in the fourteenth century and is still widely regarded as a contemplative classic on the mysteries of faith and spirituality. It's a quick read (in fact the author suggests that you read it in one sitting) and quite rich. Some of it was a little...out there...for me, especially some of the stuff about the enemy. But I want to read it again this winter.

You may also want to check out Thomas Merton's Ascent to Truth. I found it easier to access than diving right into St. John of the Cross.

It's interesting that you have just now shared this with us because, as a coincidence, I've just started in a Christian theology study group and one person there just told us of a very similar experience he had. It made me wonder how many people experience such things and just do not talk about it! As I said, my own experience is somewhat less profound than what you describe, but it was astounding enough to me that I also sought advice from a priest about what to make of it. :)

Actually, some of the response you've had in this thead might be a good lesson about why many people do not choose to talk about spiritual experiences. It is hard to convey how real and convincing such a personal experience is to others.

Master Vigil

Would you elaborate of what he said about your experience? I'm sure he realizes how rare this is. Has he had a similar view of the spiritual world during Eucharist?
He talked about how special a gift it was that I was able to experience these things, with the spirits and the Eucharist. He was very thankful that I told him this story, which made me feel good. He told me how he's only been in a state of grace a couple times in the 20 or so years he's been a priest. And in those times he knew of what I saw. He wishes he could see it though. :D But I think what I saw was just a re-affirmation of what Catholics believe happens. And he said if it weren't for the Eucharist and the Sacraments, he would be a protestant. But the importance is not in the words of the bible, which so many focus too much on, but what happens at the Eucharist. Which I agreed whole-heartedly with.

This is a point I'm curious about but I'm not sure it's acceptable to ask questions about your thoughts here. So, I'll simply ask, why does this wonderful spiritual vision have to imply you are being called to the priesthood? Why can't it be an affirmation and a calling back to Christ? Couldn't the experience have happened so that you might share this good news of God with others? Why become a priest because of it?
Well, it's more than just this experience. I've been called to the priesthood ever since I was little. I was first going to be a Capuchin in high school, and a Benedictine in college. This idea of the priesthood is nothing new. His thinking goes along the lines that god gives people gifts, and my gift is this mystical experiencing of the spiritual world and the Eucharist (plus all of my lucid visions, and "memories" of the Christ, St. Francis, the Crucifixion, and others. He thinks it is a call to be something more than just a lay Catholic. Which I can understand. I'm just not sure if god has really called me or not. I haven't gotten to the point where I can honestly say "YES" to god about a holy life.

Wonderful. :) I'm very happy for you and the enormously special days you are having in your life right now. Treasure them. :hug: I'm sure you are.
Oh I am!!! And I'm meeting with the priest every week now and seeing where this takes me! :priest:

Master Vigil

Hello MV,

So glad you've found encouragement and support from the priest you contacted. I was wondering if you've ever read the little book called The Cloud of Unknowing. It was written by an anonymous English monk in the fourteenth century and is still widely regarded as a contemplative classic on the mysteries of faith and spirituality. It's a quick read (in fact the author suggests that you read it in one sitting) and quite rich. Some of it was a little...out there...for me, especially some of the stuff about the enemy. But I want to read it again this winter.
I have not, but am very interested now! Can I find it online?

You may also want to check out Thomas Merton's Ascent to Truth. I found it easier to access than diving right into St. John of the Cross.
I've read a few of Thomas Merton's stuff, which led me to the Benedictines in College. Also the fact that he was a Zen Master intrigued me a lot back then. But I LOVE St. John of the Cross.

It's interesting that you have just now shared this with us because, as a coincidence, I've just started in a Christian theology study group and one person there just told us of a very similar experience he had. It made me wonder how many people experience such things and just do not talk about it! As I said, my own experience is somewhat less profound than what you describe, but it was astounding enough to me that I also sought advice from a priest about what to make of it. :)
I think a lot of us do, but in this day and age we are seen as psychotic. I can't tell you how many priests told me to see a psychiatrist. Franciscan priests!!! You know, the ones who should be close to nature like Francis!

Actually, some of the response you've had in this thread might be a good lesson about why many people do not choose to talk about spiritual experiences. It is hard to convey how real and convincing such a personal experience is to others.
I told the priest that I had written a lot down that I was going to give him to read, but I didn't think it was good enough. And he said, a lot of mystics are forced to write down their experiences so that others can learn from them. But it is SO hard to convey these types of experiences in words. He said I would be given the ability to write it down eventually, one I have the context in which to write it. Which made a lot of sense.

Smoke

Done here.
Here's one, apparently in the original 'English.' The Cloud of Unknowing

And one more user friendly:

Cloud of Unknowing | Christian Classics Ethereal Library
MV, The Cloud is a great classic of Christian mysticism, but if you're inclined that way, you should also read Julian of Norwich's Showings of Divine Love. Still one of my favorites, after leaving Western Christianity more than twenty years ago.

Links:

Revelations of Divine Love (CCEL)

Showings of Love (Julia Bolton Holloway)

Master Vigil

MV, The Cloud is a great classic of Christian mysticism, but if you're inclined that way, you should also read Julian of Norwich's Showings of Divine Love. Still one of my favorites, after leaving Western Christianity more than twenty years ago.

Links:

Revelations of Divine Love (CCEL)

Showings of Love (Julia Bolton Holloway)
Thank you all so much! I am so excited to read all of this! I remember some about Dionysius, but I don't remember reading the Cloud. This is all very exciting and I am so thankful to you all for giving me this information!